Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What makes a cartridge exciting? What cartridge makes you get up each day with sunshine flooding the room, just itching for another astonishing and stimulating adventure with it instead of waking up to a commonplace, unsurprising day with the .30-06?

P.S. I don't care a whit about your astonishing and suspenseful rifle nor its extrapolated 24 hour performance. I'm just asking about the brass bottle it fires.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Some imagined distinction from other cartridges, whether slight or otherwise, Jim. The same reason why guys chase new tail. Chasing new cartridges is far cheaper.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Purchasing the ammo from the hot sales chick

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't know about exciting but for me it's more like "interesting".

If you've been subjected to 200000 articles about a cartridge that's been around 117 years and constantly compared to a kissing cousin - it's easy to become rather bored and look to something else, even if "something else" isn't materially better. It just needs to be different.

It's like hot rods - oh, you have a 69 Camaro with an LS swap? Wow - I got 4 cousins with the same damn thing and the dude down the street, he's got one - it's like belly buttons. Show me something new - doesn't have to be better but be different.

Me

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have mentioned here before, and I still believe, the way a cartridge sounds when it's pronounced has more than anything else to do with it's popularity. For every popular cartridge out there, there will be one or more at least as good or arguably better that flopped or, at least, is significantly less popular just for the way the name rolls off the tongue.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Because it is 45 caliper, is a straight 2-7/8" long, holds around 103 grains of F blackpowder and sends a 540 grain self cast bullet out the end of the barrel. You don't see that everyday of the week......

Next cartridge will either be a 44-77BN or a 40-70 straight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tend to like the old classics (222, .250/3000, 257 Roberts, 6.5x55, 6.5x57, 7x57, 7x64, 30-06, 303B, 8x57, 35 Whelen, 9.3x62 etc.). I like mild efficient cartridges and am definately not a magnum fan. MOST of the new cartridges introduced over the past 20 years have been magnums of some sort or another and most have faded away.

However, the 6.5 Creedmoor interested me because I looked at it and thought what a great mild little deer hunting round. And after I read an article where it is basically a necked up improved .250 Savage I wanted one. Then I 'discovered' the 6.5x47 and again thought what a great little efficient deer cartridge and will probably rebarrel a Rem Model 7 this year.

I don't like cases like the .300 Blackout as that's a bit too mild, but non magnums pushing bullets about 2700 - 2800 fps seem to do it for me.

And if just limited to one it would be the .257 Roberts. I have owned five rifles in this cartridge and have two at the moment.

Last edited by Elvis; 01/04/21.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I am fond of the aesthetics and ballistics of the .44-77..and I don't have to go to Big Box to buy it. If there was such an award, it might be called, "The Martha Stewart Gracious Living Riflery Award".

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
The 30-06 is exciting

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What makes a cartridge exciting is simple, when you simply can't buy any factory ammo for it. I cast my own paper patch slugs, cut my own patches , wads, sometimes form my own brass, load them with black powder. 40-70 BN, 40-90 SBN, 44-77SBN, 45-75-420 or45-80-500, 45-110-540, 50-2.5"and 50-3 1/4". All paper patch, all black powder rounds you can't buy but utilize your own skills to produce. Meat , targets whatever, you got it. That's exciting sure can't buy them at wallyworld or anywhere else. When you do it all that's exciting. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cra1948
I have mentioned here before, and I still believe, the way a cartridge sounds when it's pronounced has more than anything else to do with it's popularity. For every popular cartridge out there, there will be one or more at least as good or arguably better that flopped or, at least, is significantly less popular just for the way the name rolls off the tongue.

I've never heard this theory but it makes about as much sense as anything.
The 6.5 Creedmoor has two things going for it...first, "six point five." I mean, it's PRECISE - down to the decimal point, not like just a "six" or a "seven" or an "eight" millimeter. And if you pronounce the second half with just a hint of "Moor" (like Othello) versus "more", oh, Katie bar the door...
Yeah, I know we had the "six point five" Remington Magnum, but that was back when we were all metric bigots, so it failed. We're woke now...
However it happened, it was a marketing miracle (combined with a good cartridge too). But that one doesn't really excite me so much. In fact, I resisted the whole fad up until I had picked up about 300 rounds of Hornady 6.5CM brass at the range and figured (since i already had all the bullets and powder, and only needed dies), I'd check it out with a $274 TC Compass.
And can anyone even dare to suggest that a .275 Rigby is not much more exciting than a 7mm Mauser (which, of course, lacks any decimal points at all, whereas the .275 goes to THREE significant figures, and then ends with Harry Selby's favorite suffix).
And the .275 Rigby does excite me these days as I am in the final stages of building one in a very old school way - 1903 Springfield with Griffin & Howe side mount and Lyman 48.
But the one that is really exciting me these days is the .256 Newton. I have an FN Mauser in the works with nothing left to go but the bluing and stock finish. And all the other loading things I need to get going on this sweet, sweet round are already in place! Yes, I lie awake nights...
Ooops, I got to rambling and totally forgot the OP doesn't care anything about the rifles we're putting them in (even though, largely, that may be what makes the little brass bottles exciting).

So, all these excite me, and many are partly because of the rifles they fit:
.275 Rigby
.256 Newton
.358 Winchester
.35 Whelen Ackley Improved
.270 Winchester Short Magnum
.338-06
6 mm Remington (which for some strange reason, even though I don't yet own one, I find far more exciting than the .244 Remington, which defies my hypotheses above. Though the .244 Remington is clearly at least one thousandth more exciting than the .243 Winchester)
.22 Hornet
.257 Roberts
9.3 x 62 Mauser (it gets even more exciting if you use a comma instead of a dot! Try it out...9,3 x 62 Mauser...see? That's how Lapua headstamps mine, and it does, really, excite me.)
9.5 x 57 Mauser (yes, "nine point five", not "nine point three" - even rarer!)

Even these really, really, boring rounds excite me:
.30-06 Springfield
.308 Winchester
.270 Winchester
.30 WCF (which is, of course, much more exciting than the .30-30)

I read back over this post and conclude perhaps I am too easily excited. I might even be a little on the looney side. Maybe this didn't contribute much to the OP's quest, but it's all true. All of those, and more, excite me. A lot.

Cheers,
Rex

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hanco
The 30-06 is exciting

Yes, it IS!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
22 LR

Ronnie

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
A cartridge is a cartridge. It’s what you do with it that makes it exciting or not.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fanofthefortyone
22 LR

Ronnie

Yep. That too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've always been happy with the 30-06. I use other stuff but its always my main squeeze. Now I just bought a .300 Win Mag because I got an incredible deal I couldn't pass up and I'm not sure what role I'll find for that beings I use my 30-06 so much

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
The 25/06 still does ir for me... I talked my uncle into it in 1970. The model 700 is now in my cabinet and still shoots bugholes, has been responsible for Bull moose, Bull Elk , wild sheep and goats...and a few deer.
Something about the .25

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
What makes a cartridge exciting...

For me it’s 308 WCF on the head stamp

GOD Bless America
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Nickel plating makes it sexy . . .

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your imagination.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
TRex,

I h ave only known one person besides you and myself to lust after a .256 Newton. I have one in the works... it is a 1903 Sprg with an original Newton Arms barrel. Hopefully it will be done in the spring... - G.H.

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Holes that touch when shooting paper and animals that drop within a few steps after being shot where the shooter aims.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F

OK, I can roll with that for a ways...ummm, Kropatchek? Vergueiro? Capstick rolls nicely...perhaps the Peterlongo is a bit much in English context.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Teal
I don't know about exciting but for me it's more like "interesting".

If you've been subjected to 200000 articles about a cartridge that's been around 117 years and constantly compared to a kissing cousin - it's easy to become rather bored and look to something else, even if "something else" isn't materially better. It just needs to be different.

It's like hot rods - oh, you have a 69 Camaro with an LS swap? Wow - I got 4 cousins with the same damn thing and the dude down the street, he's got one - it's like belly buttons. Show me something new - doesn't have to be better but be different.
Stop reading the articles. They've been saying the same damn shyt over and over for decades anyway.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by flintlocke

OK, I can roll with that for a ways...ummm, Kropatchek? Vergueiro? Capstick rolls nicely...perhaps the Peterlongo is a bit much in English context.
I don't put much stock in that theory. 6.5 Creedmoor sounds dumb as hell yet look where it is. Hell, most folks don't even know how they should pronounce that, much less spell it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Being a short action, chambered in almost every rifle made. Can find ammo almost anyplace in the world. It kills better than it should, not bad on recoil. Well it wont kick you out from under your hat. It's fun to shoot, fun to hunt with, yes we are talking about the .308 Winchester.
If you don't have one, you should get yourself one. I believe you'll be glad you did.

Last edited by Hammerdown; 01/04/21.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I do like the way the European rounds are named. Seven by fifty seven, seven by sixty four, six point five by fifty five etc. They do tend to flow off the tongue. Apart from the poetry in the names, it is a damn sensible way to name cartridges.

I think another factor in a cool cartridge is when no one else has one lol. I've just been trying some loads in my rebarreled 6.5x57. Now it won't do anything that my 6.5x55 and 7x57 won't do but..........................................no one else has one. eek

Last edited by Elvis; 01/04/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have copies of "Cartridges of the World" editions 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th.

The 16th edition came out in 2019.

I'll bet there are lots of new exciting cartridges in the 16th edition.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Exciting Cartridges are those that have all of the following:

3500 FPS with 11 different powders

.2 (5) shot groups with 11 different powders

150 grain bullet @ 3500 FPS with 10 lbs of recoil from a 7.5 lb gun

Barrel life like a 22 LR

Shoots .2 groups from a 2 to a 20 twist barrel

Nahhh, that would be boring!!

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

A 270 W.C.F. headstamp

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Being a short action, chambered in almost every rifle made. Can find ammo almost anyplace in the world. It kills better than it should, not bad on recoil. Well it wont kick you out from under your hat. It's fun to shoot, fun to hunt with, yes we are talking about the .308 Winchester.
If you don't have one, you should get yourself one. I believe you'll be glad you did.

Oh, you mean a .30-06 Short. :-)

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Does it shoot accurately in your rifle?
Does it kill what you shoot with it?
If the answer is yes--- it is exiting

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
How is it possible to get 'excited' about an inanimate object, made of brass, powder, primer, and a bullet?
New cartridges get popular, initially by masterful hype by the ammo and rifle manufacturers, and then by gunwriters, gushing endlessly about magical ballistics, and rushing to be the 'first' to take game with the new cartridge, in order to be able to write about its fabulous results, and how the slain game burped and bubbled blood for minutes from the fatal wound.
If, in fact, folks get 'excited' by calibers, they are easily amused and entertained.
Now- a beautiful woman, who has money to burn and is willing to let you spend it, and who lives on a big ranch in Montana loaded with game, is something to get excited about.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd imagine a case full of nitro would make a rifle exciting.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What makes a rifle exciting? I'd say mixing pistol powder with the rifle powder should do the trick.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
A guy in my hunting club once had a smith who mistakenly installed the wrong sized brake (smaller caliber brake) on a 338 win mag. Things got really exciting!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Another note I forgot to add: Actions. I'm sure there is an action in this cartridge to fit everyone's liking.

Take care

Last edited by Hammerdown; 01/05/21.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my grandson shooting his new Red Rider BB gun i gave him he is 8 years old

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pete53
my grandson shooting his new Red Rider BB gun i gave him he is 8 years old

I think everyone likes a Red Rider BB gun. I know I like them.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I just had to tune in to see what a cartridege was....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
One word....MARKETING

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bighorn
How is it possible to get 'excited' about an inanimate object, made of brass, powder, primer, and a bullet?
New cartridges get popular, initially by masterful hype by the ammo and rifle manufacturers, and then by gunwriters, gushing endlessly about magical ballistics, and rushing to be the 'first' to take game with the new cartridge, in order to be able to write about its fabulous results, and how the slain game burped and bubbled blood for minutes from the fatal wound.
If, in fact, folks get 'excited' by calibers, they are easily amused and entertained.
Now- a beautiful woman, who has money to burn and is willing to let you spend it, and who lives on a big ranch in Montana loaded with game, is something to get excited about.

Pretty easy actually.

I just bought a new Shimano Chronarch baitcaster reel and I was pretty excited as I was opening the box.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
I just had to tune in to see what a cartridege was....

A semantic deficiency of the English language made up for by a generally recognized and accepted misuse of a specific word. That's not a definition of the word "cartridge", just why the word was used. We had this same discussion a time or two before IIRC.

The word cartridge when referring to firearms is a single round of ammunition and is not limited to any specific shape or size, it does not even have to have a metallic case. It is also not restricted to the firearms lexicon. Printers can have an ink or toner cartridge.

The word caliber is also technically incorrect since it references a property of a rifle barrel or bullet diameter but is still generally used as an accepted reference to cartridges of a specific form. "What caliber is that rifle?" "It's a 7.59x67 1/2 Semi-rimmed Express". Neither question nor answer is technically correct but both are accepted and thus both are understood.

"Chambering" would be the more correct term to use here; "what makes a chambering exciting?", but is clumsy.

However, referring back to the first sentence, when one says "cartridge" in the context of a counterpart to a thread about a specific chambering, i.e. the .30-06, most folks recognize what one is referring to, hence its use here.

Now, what makes an explanation exciting? Not sure, but this one is not an example of it... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Elvis
I do like the way the European rounds are named. Seven by fifty seven, seven by sixty four, six point five by fifty five etc. They do tend to flow off the tongue. Apart from the poetry in the names, it is a damn sensible way to name cartridges.

I think another factor in a cool cartridge is when no one else has one lol. I've just been trying some loads in my rebarreled 6.5x57. Now it won't do anything that my 6.5x55 and 7x57 won't do but..........................................no one else has one.

Very likely true.

And the cartridge name champion (or at least first runner-up) in the poetic-phonetic category is the Six-point-Five by Fifty-Four Mannlicher-Schönauer. The name has all the desirable attractive qualities mentioned above, including the implicit precision of "6.5x54". A proper pronunciation of the paired three-syllable distinguishing names is wonderfully melodious. The words themselves in translation enhance the effect. Mannlicher is a German adjective meaning literally "like a man", that is, masculine or virile. (It's little wonder that Earnest Hemingway, a man's man, included the 256 Mannlicher in his stories.) Schönauer means "beautiful meadow". So, it's a manly cartridge, excitingly suitable for stalking in lovely landscapes.

The cartridge evokes memories of stories of Bell and others like him, whacking elephants and other outsized beasts.

My rifle chambered for the cartridge arrived three months ago. And nobody I know has one.

--Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always like the names "Triple Duce" and "Swift", but the names didn't help keep them alive... frown

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I get excited when making the acquaintance of a .22 wildcat from the 1930's. .22K-Hornet, R2 Lovell, .219 Donaldson Wasp, .22 Baby Niedner, et al , really get my juices flowing. Cartridges designed by bright eyed inventors flying by the seat of their pants.

Workaday cartridges like the '06, .30-30, and Euro "X's" are the ones I reach for when trips into the deer woods are in store, but it's the .22's that stir my imagination the most. Probably speaks of a mis-spent youth, cruising the fields with a .22 rimfire and wishing for something that would reach out to the far side of beyond.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
a unique name with marketing really helps like the name Creedmoor and yes the 6.5 Creedmoor is a good cartridge too , so who knows what will be next in a new cartridge ? myself this year i killed a buck with my 257 Weatherby .Mag. a 50 some year old cartridge and a doe with a 256 Newton a 100 year old rifle and cartridge, so i guess for hunting cartridges go : i am way behind with todays trend of new cartridges. next year will be a inherited old Pre-64 30-06 i guess i am going the wrong direction in cartridge selection, but sure is fun reloading old neat cartridges and shooting these old unique rifles !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
a unique name with marketing really helps like the name Creedmoor and yes the 6.5 Creedmoor is a good cartridge too , so who knows what will be next in a new cartridge ? myself this year i killed a buck with my 257 Weatherby .Mag. a 50 some year old cartridge and a doe with a 256 Newton a 100 year old rifle and cartridge, so i guess for hunting cartridges go : i am way behind with todays trend of new cartridges. next year will be a inherited old Pre-64 30-06 i guess i am going the wrong direction in cartridge selection, but sure is fun reloading old neat cartridges and shooting these old unique rifles !

Interesting that you think the 257 Weatherby mag is a 50 year old cartridge. Roy used it on his 1948 Safari

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TRexF16

.275 Rigby
.256 Newton
.358 Winchester
.338-06
6 mm Remington (which for some strange reason, even though I don't yet own one, I find far more exciting than the .244 Remington, which defies my hypotheses above. Though the .244 Remington is clearly at least one thousandth more exciting than the .243 Winchester)
.22 Hornet
.257 Roberts
9.3 x 62 Mauser (it gets even more exciting if you use a comma instead of a dot! Try it out...9,3 x 62 Mauser...see? That's how Lapua headstamps mine, and it does, really, excite me.)

You are right ..... Those old cartridges are only exciting on old exciting rifles. The sum of excitement in the combination of cartridge and rifle is more than the separate amounts of excitement derived from the cartridge and rifle separately. Like who wants a nice FN-98 custom in 6CM? That rifle needs to be a 275Rigby or 9.3x57 to be truly exciting.

It's actually pretty exciting when you think about it.. smile

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by moosemike

Interesting that you think the 257 Weatherby mag is a 50 year old cartridge. Roy used it on his 1948 Safari

that`s why i posted a 50 year old some cartridge, but thanks for the little correction i feel so much better

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Which is more exciting?

The 280 Remington or the 7mm Express?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thank you, Jim in Idaho. Your reply was worth reading..

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm with Elvis in that I like the classics and having something that's not in every gun cabinet or deer camp. My last three rifles were in 6.5x55 (I'm probably the only guy who has puked up the Creedmoor Kool Aid.) a 38/55 on a high wall action and a 300 H&H on a #1 action. I had my interpretation of a British stalking rifle built in what else a 275 Rigby it sounds better than 7MM Mauser which I have one a wonderful Pre64 carbine. I like the big boys as well and took a deer this year in a #1 chambered in 450/400 NE. Now not only does that sound cool but how many have you seen in a deer camp? I'm contemplating having a #1 built in 300 Savage just because I can.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I like rimmed cartridges. Cartridges with sultry, sloping shoulders and nice lines. A cartridge with personality. Cheeky. One with a little experience that's been around.

A cartridge that's well travelled. One whose ancestors and immediate family have taken game in Africa and Asia. One that has seen military service. One that can laugh at the newcomers, and demands that they prove themselves with years of dedicated service, not just a short time.

One that can handle lead or jacketed bullets, and can use copper too. A cartridge that isn't afraid of black powder, Berdan and Boxer primers, or wooden stocks.

One that has a history and can tell a thousand interesting
stories.

There's a few of these around that interest me. The rest? Well, call them posers. 😄

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Might have been said. But a cartridge with a SAAMI spec that has any production rifle made with the right throat & twist is pretty special.

I can be old school & know that a 30 or 40 year old load & rifle can serve most purposes, but the modern stuff is with out a doubt worth a look.

Exciting rifle times, 2021.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When I got my first 22 LR rifle, it was an exciting cartridge, as I wanted to learn how to shoot well, explore its accuracy potential, have fun plinking. I wound up shooting first team varsity rifle in college as a result of that early excitement. I still get a wee bit excited holding the 22 LR and loading it in my S&W k22, or squirrel rifle, or plinking..

When I got my first centerfire rifle at age 16, it was a 30-3O Marlin 336a I loved holding a loaded 30-30 in my fingers and looking at its long neck, and the scalloped lead nose of the Remington corelokt bullet. I was going to be able to hunt with my dad now. Reloads would shoot near MOA, which is exciting. I loved the look of the cartridge, the heft, and the shape-and still do 45 years later.

When I got my first woodchuck hunting cartridge/rifle, a 222 Rem, it was exciting. High velocity. Economy of shooting, long distance potential, days of being in rolling hayfields with my woodchuck buddy (or brother) enjoying life was exciting-and still is. The diminutive shape of the case, with its sharp shoulders, tiny bullet, stories of how Mike Walker developed it, and how fast it turned the benchrest accuracy world on its ear in the 1950-60's were all exciting aspects of the 222 Rem to me. The 222 Rem still bets me going,c when I pull out my Sako A1 Varmint , and cluster 5 shots in a sub 1/2 MOA 200 yard group..

My "powerful big game" bolt gun, a 30-06 JC Higgins model 50, created excitement. I finally had a "powerful cartridge" that was used all over the world, with great success. The potential of the 30-06 was exciting to me. I knew I was never going to Africa or Alaska, so my 30-06 was good for "anything else." When you think of it, that IS pretty exciting. The 30-06 had a long neck and case ( compared to my 30-30). It would shoot 150-200 grain jacketed bullets accurately and with good velocity. A cartridge that offers that kind of usefulness, and potential, is exciting. Chambered in a commercial FN Mauser 98 action, with all the milling, forging, metallurgy a!loy upgrades, with its great design-it just amplifies the excitement of the 30-06.

As much as the OP wants to focus on just "the brass bottle" ( cartridge itself) to be "exciting," he/she is wrong. "Excitement" is an emotional response, enhanced by non-tangible factors. It is never just about "the brass bottle" itself.

My current "cartridge of interest" on the radar is the 6.5 Grendel (do I rebarreling my CZ 527?). Seems like a very efficient cartridge. Is it exciting? Not really, but it is interesting to me.

So, it IS about hitting an aspirin at 50 yards with my 22 LR rifle, using my 30-30 while hunting with my dad, or reading about Townsend Whelen's hunting trips with a 30-06, or making a 300 yard shot on a woodchuck with a 222 Rem hand load, and my brother spotting the shot. If if excites me, it is due to the tangible and intangible things associated with the cartridge. Excitement related to a cartridge is NOT just "the brass bottle.". Never was. Never will.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
First, being a fan of Elmer, the .338 is the right caliber. Anything less makes you a "needle blower." Anything bigger just drips out of the muzzle and falls on the ground. He wrote in 1957 that his OKH series should be updated from .333 to .338 as better stuff would be available with the dawning of the 338 win mag. Next, one has to "try" all of the cartridges, .338-06 (sadly, it never got the "proper" OKH appellation), .338 win mag .340 Wby, and of course the .338-378 which Bob Hagel discussed early on, in Handloader. The .338 RCM is somewhat exciting even though it is just a short-and-fat .338-06. Just "yesterday" Federal finally adopted the .308 casing and that is exciting, too. The .338 Federal is their first and only entry into the cartridge world. Dare we think that with today's better projectiles and also when velocities are moderate, the "lightweight" .338 stuff works as well or better than the old Elmer standard of 250-300 grains?

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by buttstock
My current "cartridge of interest" on the radar is the 6.5 Grendel (do I rebarreling my CZ 527?). Seems like a very efficient cartridge. Is it exciting? Not really, but it is interesting to me.
My friend and neighbor was hellbent on getting a 6.5 Grendel and I discouraged the idea. We hunt problem hogs several days/nights a week. He bought the Grendel anyway and my thoughts on it being not much better than .223 were quickly dispelled. He mostly uses the Nosler Long Range Accubond 129 and the Nosler BT 120. The rifle in our limited field use on large hogs has proven very effective out to 300 yards. I would almost say it works as well as .308W without the recoil which is quite helpful for multiple shots on multiple targets that are heading for cover.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Using the same cartridges our nations warriors used to defend the world and having many pictures of gut pile that only required one shot to make. Having a selection of good factory loads. Being able to find components if you loan your own.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Im with hanco and TrexF16. The 30-06 is exciting as there are endless combinations of loads.

It's making em then shooting em thats fun and if you can get one to do something you think is special or haven't done before, all the better. Of course, all the others are equally exciting for the same reasons although im partial to the oddball and obscure.

Last edited by Centennial; 01/08/21.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I like many of us have been through many rifles/cartridges. The cycle goes like this. I see, read about or hear of some new thing.Thing being a new rifle, cartridge or combination of the two.
So I acquire one out of curiosity or just to have something new to play with.
I would guess that more than likely this new fascination doesn’t last long for numerous reasons including accuracy, rifle fit and weight, a bad experience in the field etc. in the end, usually in a year or two it gets sold or traded.
Now what gets me excited is hunting with a proven pal that once again feels good to carry and by it’s usage I bring home a critter! Rifles in the exciting group get there by performance at the range and in the mountains of Arizona. These are mostly pre-64 Winchester’s and Ruger 1’s. Three calibers dominate this list , they are 257 Roberts, 270 Winchester and the 7x57 Mauser.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike

that`s why i posted a 50 year old some cartridge, but thanks for the little correction i feel so much better

it came out in 1944. That was 77 years ago.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Whats exciting is knowing I have at least one rifle capable of taking any animal that walks on this earth. Double rifles with external hammers are exciting as well,

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure what makes it exciting but right now I like the looks of the new 6mm ARC. I suppose for that cartridge I like the idea of a super efficient 6mm. Large enough to take deer with and shoot to 1K if I have a notion all while not kicking the slobber out of me. I know it was meant to be an AR compatible round but I am interested in it as a bolt gun round. Tine will tell if it catches on and I will be patient for a year or two to see what happens with it.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't give a chit about excitement... I use a 308 Win. smile

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
A 30.06 is pretty exciting !!!!! When it just exited a 197 6/8 typical whitetail.....

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Power. On the other hand, "exciting" is over-rated. Besides, it's an expensive thrill. 30mm autocannon with belts of HEI is exciting. Shooting finger-size brass thimbles of powder is going to depend on circumstances for excitement. The cartridge itself won't do much in that way. Nevertheless, the cartridge I'm most heavily invested in isn't intended for excitement at all. On the contrary, I depend on it to bring any excitement to a quick end and restore peace and tranquility.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6.5x55.

I'd like to try the 6.5x47 as well.

I'd also imagine that a .505 Gibbs would be rather exciting.

Last edited by High_Noon; 01/09/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Lately the name Grendel or Creedmore seems to blow some folks skirt up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Advertising and the press, including gun writers.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crshelton
Advertising and the press, including gun writers.

Don't forget the herd mentality thing as well.

5 yrs ago here on the Fire, the 6.5CM was uber kool. Now it's uber ghey, right along side the 270Win.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
275 rigby and any big nitro express. They take me to a time and place I will never be able to truly experience

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Any cartridge that kills deer sized game with very little recoil is exciting to me

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TRexF16

I've never heard this theory but it makes about as much sense as anything.
The 6.5 Creedmoor has two things going for it...first, "six point five." I mean, it's PRECISE - down to the decimal point, not like just a "six" or a "seven" or an "eight" millimeter. And if you pronounce the second half with just a hint of "Moor" (like Othello) versus "more", oh, Katie bar the door...
Yeah, I know we had the "six point five" Remington Magnum, but that was back when we were all metric bigots, so it failed. We're woke now...
However it happened, it was a marketing miracle (combined with a good cartridge too). But that one doesn't really excite me so much. In fact, I resisted the whole fad up until I had picked up about 300 rounds of Hornady 6.5CM brass at the range and figured (since i already had all the bullets and powder, and only needed dies), I'd check it out with a $274 TC Compass.
And can anyone even dare to suggest that a .275 Rigby is not much more exciting than a 7mm Mauser (which, of course, lacks any decimal points at all, whereas the .275 goes to THREE significant figures, and then ends with Harry Selby's favorite suffix).
And the .275 Rigby does excite me these days as I am in the final stages of building one in a very old school way - 1903 Springfield with Griffin & Howe side mount and Lyman 48.
But the one that is really exciting me these days is the .256 Newton. I have an FN Mauser in the works with nothing left to go but the bluing and stock finish. And all the other loading things I need to get going on this sweet, sweet round are already in place! Yes, I lie awake nights...
Ooops, I got to rambling and totally forgot the OP doesn't care anything about the rifles we're putting them in (even though, largely, that may be what makes the little brass bottles exciting).

.275 Rigby
.256 Newton
.358 Winchester
.338-06
.22 Hornet
.257 Roberts

Even these really, really, boring rounds excite me:
.30-06 Springfield
.308 Winchester
.270 Winchester
.30 WCF (which is, of course, much more exciting than the .30-30)

I read back over this post and conclude perhaps I am too easily excited. I might even be a little on the looney side. Maybe this didn't contribute much to the OP's quest, but it's all true. All of those, and more, excite me. A lot.

Cheers,
Rex

6mm rem is a great cartridge. You should try one out.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm probably a bad one to ask. I still get excited by the 30-30

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The fact that I don't own a rifle in that caliber is sufficient.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
What makes a cartridge exciting? What cartridge makes you get up each day with sunshine flooding the room, just itching for another astonishing and stimulating adventure with it instead of waking up to a commonplace, unsurprising day with the .30-06?

The first shot with my 12ga Featherlight Ithaca 37 Deerslayer was a 2 3/4" magnum slug load. When I touched her off it was an "EXCITING, ASTONISHING, STIMULATING, SURPRISING, ADVENTURE!" After years of shooting whitetail I had gunsmith, Bob Currey, find a smooth bore, shorten to 21" screw in turkey choke tubes, D&T and mount a Leupold 2.5, shorten stock and I then had a turkey gun. Was always wonderment when shot. For me that gun made the 12ga cartridge exciting every time I touched it off.

Last edited by Rug3; 01/10/21.

BE STRONG IN THE LORD, AND IN HIS MIGHTY POWER. ~ Ephesians 6:10

Socialism is a philosophy of failure,
the creed of ignorance,
and the gospel of envy,
its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
--Winston Churchill

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
For me, exciting cartridges are exotic ones that not everybody has but that have a long history.

The 6.5x54mm Mannlicher Schoenaur is one example.

Another is the .375 H&H.

If I were younger and hunted in the woods a lot, I might try to make or get a .400 Whelan.

To me, nothing would be asboring as a 6.5CM.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nostalgia would really be the only thing that makes a cartridge exciting to me. It's why the 38 WCF, a cartridge that tends to be WAY more trouble than it's worth, always has a place in my house.Dad borrowed Grand Dad's 92 to use as his first deer rifle. It worked after a fashion. The same rifle was the first center fire I ever shot. That's why there's a bunch of 38 WCF around the place.

Now for the the seven month old kitten in the house, she's all about the empty case. '06 and 308 are her favorites right now. She'll knock those all around the basement.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not much on the latest, trend, whiz-bang, part of the in crowd, smoke and mirrors, BS ......my favorite cartridge has been around for 108 years. But, I didn’t buy immediately.....waited a few years for it to prove it’s worth! wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Finding boxes of ammo on the shelves.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
All these posts and no one has figured it out yet?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This doesn't hurt....grin!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Dang Pat! That will work.

Would you mind helping me out with some load data for the 22 creed and the 88 eld? PM me if you like, thanks

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

WOW!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dude270
Dang Pat! That will work.

Would you mind helping me out with some load data for the 22 creed and the 88 eld? PM me if you like, thanks

Sure will....

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

WOW!

Thanks! It was a rare day for here, with absolutely no wind....and I did have a witness....:)

[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
memtb, that would be 1912, either the 25-06 or 375 H&H. Given your quote from Bob Hagel, I am guessing your choice is the 375.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I get excited when the barrel stamp reads
30-06 SPRINGFIELD.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Yep! since 1982! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Quite a statement made in that pic. Reminds me of Matthew Quigley.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
What makes a cartridge exciting is the moment you realize you already had or have it and have been fooling yourself with silly diversions.

I have let 2 John Rigby rifles and a rack full of Weatherby Mark V's plus a slew of others go since I bought it in '93 and it has more value than any monetary opinion as we are mates and have traveled together. Despite its seemingly modest market value, it would be my greatest loss if it were gone.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
After all the excitement of all the rounds I have had over the years, I have pretty much settled on my next hunting rifle being a 30-06.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bperdue21
After all the excitement of all the rounds I have had over the years, I have pretty much settled on my next hunting rifle being a 30-06.

Nice to give a new round a little time (115 years or so) so guys can get the bugs worked out and get some good loads for them.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll tell you what is not sexy. Every man bun having, skinny jean wearing, Bin Laden beard growing, mouth-breathing moron lining up to sing a cartridges praised on social media.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
For me anything except a Creedmoor It may be a great cartridge but with all the media hype it has become boring .

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
if it was the one that you load in an en bloc clip and load into am M1 garand

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

P.S. I don't care a whit about your astonishing and suspenseful rifle nor its extrapolated 24 hour performance. I'm just asking about the brass bottle it fires.

Either:

• an article you read in outdoor life in the barber shop
  • nobody in your deer camp has one
  • it's what your (older brother, dad, grandpa) used in the good old days

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
For me 30-06 is interesting with an heavy bullet. Also the 35 cal and 375 cal with their ability to handle decently heavy cast and jacketed. Im going to be trying a 375 Ruger and someday when Trailboss powder is once again available it will be my companion.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Hunting with it

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Finding some on the shelves right now.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,431
Posts18,470,796
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.