Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
One word....MARKETING

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bighorn
How is it possible to get 'excited' about an inanimate object, made of brass, powder, primer, and a bullet?
New cartridges get popular, initially by masterful hype by the ammo and rifle manufacturers, and then by gunwriters, gushing endlessly about magical ballistics, and rushing to be the 'first' to take game with the new cartridge, in order to be able to write about its fabulous results, and how the slain game burped and bubbled blood for minutes from the fatal wound.
If, in fact, folks get 'excited' by calibers, they are easily amused and entertained.
Now- a beautiful woman, who has money to burn and is willing to let you spend it, and who lives on a big ranch in Montana loaded with game, is something to get excited about.

Pretty easy actually.

I just bought a new Shimano Chronarch baitcaster reel and I was pretty excited as I was opening the box.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
I just had to tune in to see what a cartridege was....

A semantic deficiency of the English language made up for by a generally recognized and accepted misuse of a specific word. That's not a definition of the word "cartridge", just why the word was used. We had this same discussion a time or two before IIRC.

The word cartridge when referring to firearms is a single round of ammunition and is not limited to any specific shape or size, it does not even have to have a metallic case. It is also not restricted to the firearms lexicon. Printers can have an ink or toner cartridge.

The word caliber is also technically incorrect since it references a property of a rifle barrel or bullet diameter but is still generally used as an accepted reference to cartridges of a specific form. "What caliber is that rifle?" "It's a 7.59x67 1/2 Semi-rimmed Express". Neither question nor answer is technically correct but both are accepted and thus both are understood.

"Chambering" would be the more correct term to use here; "what makes a chambering exciting?", but is clumsy.

However, referring back to the first sentence, when one says "cartridge" in the context of a counterpart to a thread about a specific chambering, i.e. the .30-06, most folks recognize what one is referring to, hence its use here.

Now, what makes an explanation exciting? Not sure, but this one is not an example of it... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cra1948
I have mentioned here before, and I still believe, the way a cartridge sounds when it's pronounced has more than anything else to do with it's popularity. For every popular cartridge out there, there will be one or more at least as good or arguably better that flopped or, at least, is significantly less popular just for the way the name rolls off the tongue.
Originally Posted by Elvis
I do like the way the European rounds are named. Seven by fifty seven, seven by sixty four, six point five by fifty five etc. They do tend to flow off the tongue. Apart from the poetry in the names, it is a damn sensible way to name cartridges.

I think another factor in a cool cartridge is when no one else has one lol. I've just been trying some loads in my rebarreled 6.5x57. Now it won't do anything that my 6.5x55 and 7x57 won't do but..........................................no one else has one.

Very likely true.

And the cartridge name champion (or at least first runner-up) in the poetic-phonetic category is the Six-point-Five by Fifty-Four Mannlicher-Schönauer. The name has all the desirable attractive qualities mentioned above, including the implicit precision of "6.5x54". A proper pronunciation of the paired three-syllable distinguishing names is wonderfully melodious. The words themselves in translation enhance the effect. Mannlicher is a German adjective meaning literally "like a man", that is, masculine or virile. (It's little wonder that Earnest Hemingway, a man's man, included the 256 Mannlicher in his stories.) Schönauer means "beautiful meadow". So, it's a manly cartridge, excitingly suitable for stalking in lovely landscapes.

The cartridge evokes memories of stories of Bell and others like him, whacking elephants and other outsized beasts.

My rifle chambered for the cartridge arrived three months ago. And nobody I know has one.

--Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always like the names "Triple Duce" and "Swift", but the names didn't help keep them alive... frown

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I get excited when making the acquaintance of a .22 wildcat from the 1930's. .22K-Hornet, R2 Lovell, .219 Donaldson Wasp, .22 Baby Niedner, et al , really get my juices flowing. Cartridges designed by bright eyed inventors flying by the seat of their pants.

Workaday cartridges like the '06, .30-30, and Euro "X's" are the ones I reach for when trips into the deer woods are in store, but it's the .22's that stir my imagination the most. Probably speaks of a mis-spent youth, cruising the fields with a .22 rimfire and wishing for something that would reach out to the far side of beyond.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
a unique name with marketing really helps like the name Creedmoor and yes the 6.5 Creedmoor is a good cartridge too , so who knows what will be next in a new cartridge ? myself this year i killed a buck with my 257 Weatherby .Mag. a 50 some year old cartridge and a doe with a 256 Newton a 100 year old rifle and cartridge, so i guess for hunting cartridges go : i am way behind with todays trend of new cartridges. next year will be a inherited old Pre-64 30-06 i guess i am going the wrong direction in cartridge selection, but sure is fun reloading old neat cartridges and shooting these old unique rifles !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
a unique name with marketing really helps like the name Creedmoor and yes the 6.5 Creedmoor is a good cartridge too , so who knows what will be next in a new cartridge ? myself this year i killed a buck with my 257 Weatherby .Mag. a 50 some year old cartridge and a doe with a 256 Newton a 100 year old rifle and cartridge, so i guess for hunting cartridges go : i am way behind with todays trend of new cartridges. next year will be a inherited old Pre-64 30-06 i guess i am going the wrong direction in cartridge selection, but sure is fun reloading old neat cartridges and shooting these old unique rifles !

Interesting that you think the 257 Weatherby mag is a 50 year old cartridge. Roy used it on his 1948 Safari

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TRexF16
So, all these excite me, and many are partly because of the rifles they fit:

.275 Rigby
.256 Newton
.358 Winchester
.35 Whelen Ackley Improved
.270 Winchester Short Magnum
.338-06
6 mm Remington (which for some strange reason, even though I don't yet own one, I find far more exciting than the .244 Remington, which defies my hypotheses above. Though the .244 Remington is clearly at least one thousandth more exciting than the .243 Winchester)
.22 Hornet
.257 Roberts
9.3 x 62 Mauser (it gets even more exciting if you use a comma instead of a dot! Try it out...9,3 x 62 Mauser...see? That's how Lapua headstamps mine, and it does, really, excite me.)
9.5 x 57 Mauser (yes, "nine point five", not "nine point three" - even rarer!)

You are right ..... Those old cartridges are only exciting on old exciting rifles. The sum of excitement in the combination of cartridge and rifle is more than the separate amounts of excitement derived from the cartridge and rifle separately. Like who wants a nice FN-98 custom in 6CM? That rifle needs to be a 275Rigby or 9.3x57 to be truly exciting.

It's actually pretty exciting when you think about it.. smile

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by pete53

Interesting that you think the 257 Weatherby mag is a 50 year old cartridge. Roy used it on his 1948 Safari

that`s why i posted a 50 year old some cartridge, but thanks for the little correction i feel so much better

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Which is more exciting?

The 280 Remington or the 7mm Express?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thank you, Jim in Idaho. Your reply was worth reading..

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm with Elvis in that I like the classics and having something that's not in every gun cabinet or deer camp. My last three rifles were in 6.5x55 (I'm probably the only guy who has puked up the Creedmoor Kool Aid.) a 38/55 on a high wall action and a 300 H&H on a #1 action. I had my interpretation of a British stalking rifle built in what else a 275 Rigby it sounds better than 7MM Mauser which I have one a wonderful Pre64 carbine. I like the big boys as well and took a deer this year in a #1 chambered in 450/400 NE. Now not only does that sound cool but how many have you seen in a deer camp? I'm contemplating having a #1 built in 300 Savage just because I can.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I like rimmed cartridges. Cartridges with sultry, sloping shoulders and nice lines. A cartridge with personality. Cheeky. One with a little experience that's been around.

A cartridge that's well travelled. One whose ancestors and immediate family have taken game in Africa and Asia. One that has seen military service. One that can laugh at the newcomers, and demands that they prove themselves with years of dedicated service, not just a short time.

One that can handle lead or jacketed bullets, and can use copper too. A cartridge that isn't afraid of black powder, Berdan and Boxer primers, or wooden stocks.

One that has a history and can tell a thousand interesting
stories.

There's a few of these around that interest me. The rest? Well, call them posers. 😄

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Might have been said. But a cartridge with a SAAMI spec that has any production rifle made with the right throat & twist is pretty special.

I can be old school & know that a 30 or 40 year old load & rifle can serve most purposes, but the modern stuff is with out a doubt worth a look.

Exciting rifle times, 2021.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When I got my first 22 LR rifle, it was an exciting cartridge, as I wanted to learn how to shoot well, explore its accuracy potential, have fun plinking. I wound up shooting first team varsity rifle in college as a result of that early excitement. I still get a wee bit excited holding the 22 LR and loading it in my S&W k22, or squirrel rifle, or plinking..

When I got my first centerfire rifle at age 16, it was a 30-3O Marlin 336a I loved holding a loaded 30-30 in my fingers and looking at its long neck, and the scalloped lead nose of the Remington corelokt bullet. I was going to be able to hunt with my dad now. Reloads would shoot near MOA, which is exciting. I loved the look of the cartridge, the heft, and the shape-and still do 45 years later.

When I got my first woodchuck hunting cartridge/rifle, a 222 Rem, it was exciting. High velocity. Economy of shooting, long distance potential, days of being in rolling hayfields with my woodchuck buddy (or brother) enjoying life was exciting-and still is. The diminutive shape of the case, with its sharp shoulders, tiny bullet, stories of how Mike Walker developed it, and how fast it turned the benchrest accuracy world on its ear in the 1950-60's were all exciting aspects of the 222 Rem to me. The 222 Rem still bets me going,c when I pull out my Sako A1 Varmint , and cluster 5 shots in a sub 1/2 MOA 200 yard group..

My "powerful big game" bolt gun, a 30-06 JC Higgins model 50, created excitement. I finally had a "powerful cartridge" that was used all over the world, with great success. The potential of the 30-06 was exciting to me. I knew I was never going to Africa or Alaska, so my 30-06 was good for "anything else." When you think of it, that IS pretty exciting. The 30-06 had a long neck and case ( compared to my 30-30). It would shoot 150-200 grain jacketed bullets accurately and with good velocity. A cartridge that offers that kind of usefulness, and potential, is exciting. Chambered in a commercial FN Mauser 98 action, with all the milling, forging, metallurgy a!loy upgrades, with its great design-it just amplifies the excitement of the 30-06.

As much as the OP wants to focus on just "the brass bottle" ( cartridge itself) to be "exciting," he/she is wrong. "Excitement" is an emotional response, enhanced by non-tangible factors. It is never just about "the brass bottle" itself.

My current "cartridge of interest" on the radar is the 6.5 Grendel (do I rebarreling my CZ 527?). Seems like a very efficient cartridge. Is it exciting? Not really, but it is interesting to me.

So, it IS about hitting an aspirin at 50 yards with my 22 LR rifle, using my 30-30 while hunting with my dad, or reading about Townsend Whelen's hunting trips with a 30-06, or making a 300 yard shot on a woodchuck with a 222 Rem hand load, and my brother spotting the shot. If if excites me, it is due to the tangible and intangible things associated with the cartridge. Excitement related to a cartridge is NOT just "the brass bottle.". Never was. Never will.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
First, being a fan of Elmer, the .338 is the right caliber. Anything less makes you a "needle blower." Anything bigger just drips out of the muzzle and falls on the ground. He wrote in 1957 that his OKH series should be updated from .333 to .338 as better stuff would be available with the dawning of the 338 win mag. Next, one has to "try" all of the cartridges, .338-06 (sadly, it never got the "proper" OKH appellation), .338 win mag .340 Wby, and of course the .338-378 which Bob Hagel discussed early on, in Handloader. The .338 RCM is somewhat exciting even though it is just a short-and-fat .338-06. Just "yesterday" Federal finally adopted the .308 casing and that is exciting, too. The .338 Federal is their first and only entry into the cartridge world. Dare we think that with today's better projectiles and also when velocities are moderate, the "lightweight" .338 stuff works as well or better than the old Elmer standard of 250-300 grains?

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by buttstock
My current "cartridge of interest" on the radar is the 6.5 Grendel (do I rebarreling my CZ 527?). Seems like a very efficient cartridge. Is it exciting? Not really, but it is interesting to me.
My friend and neighbor was hellbent on getting a 6.5 Grendel and I discouraged the idea. We hunt problem hogs several days/nights a week. He bought the Grendel anyway and my thoughts on it being not much better than .223 were quickly dispelled. He mostly uses the Nosler Long Range Accubond 129 and the Nosler BT 120. The rifle in our limited field use on large hogs has proven very effective out to 300 yards. I would almost say it works as well as .308W without the recoil which is quite helpful for multiple shots on multiple targets that are heading for cover.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Using the same cartridges our nations warriors used to defend the world and having many pictures of gut pile that only required one shot to make. Having a selection of good factory loads. Being able to find components if you loan your own.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Im with hanco and TrexF16. The 30-06 is exciting as there are endless combinations of loads.

It's making em then shooting em thats fun and if you can get one to do something you think is special or haven't done before, all the better. Of course, all the others are equally exciting for the same reasons although im partial to the oddball and obscure.

Last edited by Centennial; 01/08/21.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,411
Posts18,470,431
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.