Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You got duped from the former owner so it's all Leupold's fault laugh I'm sure Leupold will fix it.

The only shocking thing about this thread is that the real Leupy haters like Brad and Big Stick have not chimed in yet laugh

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boatanchor
You got duped from the former owner so it's all Leupold's fault laugh I'm sure Leupold will fix it.

The only shocking thing about this thread is that the real Leupy haters like Brad and Big Stick have not chimed in yet laugh

Must be a different Brad than I'm thinking of.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hey, I hate leupold as much as the next guy. Only thing missing from them is a blister pack and $39 price at walmart. Junk.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've never gotten to press on an erector. Wouldn't know good from bad without other brands along side to compare.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got a scope on a rifle a while back, some bubba either red lock tighten the caps on or used some super glue. Luckily it was a POS scope.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Judman
[quote=JGRaider]That’s a fact uncle Johnny. The leupold haters just can’t handle it when folks don’t have “trouble “ with em. Oh you don’t shoot enough. Oh you don’t spin turrets. Oh you don’t hunt hard enough. Blah blah blah... gets tiring, but it’s never not funny!! 😂😂

I certainly won't tell you why you haven't had trouble because I don't know. However I can say the fact that you hunt a lot more than me and haven't had trouble doesn't mean the problems I've experienced were imaginary. From an old post of mine:

There were a few years when I was doing a lot more shooting than now. Mostly 308's and I was buying 8 lb jugs of powder and 1000 count boxes of bullets two at a time. I've had a VX-III 4.5-14x40LR develop a parallax adjustment that wouldn't hold shot to shot, a VX-III 3.5-10x50 get a dead spot in its horizontal adjustment, a VX-II 4-12x40AO get loose inside and need an erector rebuild, a VX-7 2.5-10x45 show considerably more parallax than it should much past 100 yards, an M8 6x42AO Target need a rebuild since I dialed it so much moving it around on a number of rifles, and more recently had an M8 6x42 make me think the barrel on an accurate 243 had crapped out until I noticed the rattle the scope developed.

If anyone looked at the scopes mounted on my rifles they certainly wouldn't call me a Leupold hater.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My oldest scope that is still being used is a Leupold VARI X 2.5-8X36 that saw use on my 8 lb. 338 Win. Mag. with 250 and 225 grain bullets for over 25 years. The scope sits on a 6.25 lb. Husqvarna 30-06 I gifted to my grandson for his 15th birthday. Never dialed with it other then zeroing scope for 200 yards at the range. So far that scope has worked just fine for holding zero, year after year, etc. The scope also set in Warne Premier QD rings all the time. But, I do remember a couple of times when moving the scope between rifles the adjustments were not faithful to the claimed 1/4 inch at one hundred yards. But, after a few rounds zero was established and it always remained true after that.

My Nightforce SHV 3-9x42 and SWFA 3-9x42HD have always moved according to the manufactures claims. I have a couple other Leupold's that have the B&C reticle, once the trajectory for a load is worked out at the range they are quick and handy for about any big game animal out to 500 yards. It's big game vital area accurate, not bench rested target shooting.

I question whether any one can make light weight reliable dialing scopes. But, I guess we should define light weight. For me I don't want to pack a rifle with a scope weighing over 22 ounces and 16 is better yet. I would love to see a reliable dialing 2-12x42 mil or moa scope with hash marks that is under 22 ounces.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by MtnHtr

As for tracking I've never had an issue with either click or friction adjustments. I do go past the intended click and then reverse click.

If you have to go past and then back down you certainly have a tracking issue

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think you should only do this when "un-jacking" your erector. LOL
IOW, make your final adjustment against the spring force.

Taking up backlash

Last edited by night_owl; 01/04/21.

abusus non tollit usum
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Judman: You hit that "nail" on the head!
The few (but somewhat vocal!) Leupold naysayers hereabouts just get apoplectic when the majority stands up to them and questions their veracity!
I have been questioning the few Leupold naysayers on this forum for nearly two decades now.
NONE, let me repeat NONE of their blatherings and innuendo's have shaken my reliance on and respect for Leupold scopes ONE IOTA!
I have been buying, using, shooting and Hunting with Leupold scopes for well over half a century now (56 years to be exact!) and I have as yet to experience my first "failure" of ANY kind with the MANY dozens of scopes I own to this day or the dozens of Leupold scopes I have owned in the past but sold.
In fact in the last 30 days I have shot 3 different Rifles that have Leupold scopes on them and ALL performed fine for me.
Two of those three Rifles were being shot for verification of previous sight-in and the other was a new installation of a Leupold scope on a new to me Rifle.
It adjusted fine and once sighted in helped me shoot a very impressive group with (Cooper Montana Varmint in 223 Remington) it.
Trying to talk sense with Leupold naysayers is somewhat futile - it appears to me.
I try from time to time - but it still appears futile.
Many years ago on this forum the Leupold "naysayers" were constantly bellyaching about strange color distortions and disappearances appearing on their Leupold crosshairs under certain low in the sky sun conditions.
I had NEVER experienced this?
I called bullschit and took outside, at summer sunset, over 15 of my Rifles with Leupold scopes (variables and fixed powers and target scopes up to 36 power on them) on them and aimed them in every direction - including right below, right next to and right above the setting sun - and came up with absolutely NO disappearing reticles or color changing reticles!
PERIOD!
I reported here on this "test" and my experiences from the past but to only little avail.
I am NOT saying a Leupold scope has NEVER failed - I am sure they have but when the chips are down and the Hunt is important and or in difficult conditions "I" go with Leupold.
Yep I have been using Leupold scopes (binoculars, spotting scopes and compasses as well!) for 56 (fifty six!) years now and the next one to fail on ME will be the first!
Long live Leupold & Stevens Corporation - a fine AMERICAN company.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This isn't a cut-and-dried, line-in-the sand issue, but -- sadly -- it has become that for some posters. There is actually truth from both sides.

Yes, some Leupold scopes can be reliable. I know because I have had a few. But I've also had more than my share of golden-ringed optics that left me frustrated because they could not move a precise amount, could not retain zero for long periods and certainly couldn't be trusted to dial. I've seen others experience much the same results.

I liked the VX-R line and thought they performed beyond their price point. I had no issues with them other than receiving a brand-new, factory-sealed scope that had the wrong reticle in it -- a reticle not even offered in that particular model -- and then having one rep (initials A.R.) tell me there is no way in hell that scope left the factory that way. He blamed me and/or the vendor and was not going to help me at all. Thankfully, another rep (R.H) took care of matters and apologized on behalf of his colleague's behavior. He even expedited another scope to me and sent the return label with it. The same photos of the box, the serial # and the reticle were more than sufficient for his purposes but no so for his colleague LOL.

That experience stuck with me, but what finally made me migrate away from Leupold was something else entirely. When the VX-5HD line was hitting the market, I inquired as to whether the duplex reticle was going to be the same as that in the VX-6 and VX-R series or like their traditional duplex. I liked the VX-R and VX-6 versions a LOT as they were bolder and more easily picked up in poor lighting. I was assured not once but TWICE via two separate calls (2 separate agents) about 2 weeks apart that the reticle was going to be identical to the reticle in the VX-6 and VX-R. So I quickly ordered one.

I was highly disappointed when I received the scope and found that the reticle was in fact a thin, wide plex instead. Thinking this had to have been a mistake, I called CS and and found out that -- indeed -- they went with a different style of reticle for this model but still called it "duplex." For me, it's hard to trust a company when its own employees have no clue about the products they are selling.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I had gotten a Knight rifle with a vintage Redfield 3x9 widefield scope. Bubba had sealed the turrets with pipe dope-what plumbers use. I don't pretend to be the great hunter or guru. My experience owning many Leupold's that has been completely positive. This Leupold bashing hit the net and all kinds new and wonderful failures were reported.

There are only eight Leupold's on rifles in my wall rack. Each one of those rifles will work very well. It's been that way for many years. I have to trust my own experience. I have spoken with Leupold reps over the years. Help was always good. These guys were careful not to overextend themselves or get into a pissing contest. This is my experience,

Last edited by Roundball1; 01/04/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

laissez les bons temps rouler
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Judman: You hit that "nail" on the head!
The few (but somewhat vocal!) Leupold naysayers hereabouts just get apoplectic when the majority stands up to them and questions their veracity!
I have been questioning the few Leupold naysayers on this forum for nearly two decades now.
NONE, let me repeat NONE of their blatherings and innuendo's have shaken my reliance on and respect for Leupold scopes ONE IOTA!
I have been buying, using, shooting and Hunting with Leupold scopes for well over half a century now (56 years to be exact!) and I have as yet to experience my first "failure" of ANY kind with the MANY dozens of scopes I own to this day or the dozens of Leupold scopes I have owned in the past but sold.
In fact in the last 30 days I have shot 3 different Rifles that have Leupold scopes on them and ALL performed fine for me.
Two of those three Rifles were being shot for verification of previous sight-in and the other was a new installation of a Leupold scope on a new to me Rifle.
It adjusted fine and once sighted in helped me shoot a very impressive group with (Cooper Montana Varmint in 223 Remington) it.
Trying to talk sense with Leupold naysayers is somewhat futile - it appears to me.
I try from time to time - but it still appears futile.
Many years ago on this forum the Leupold "naysayers" were constantly bellyaching about strange color distortions and disappearances appearing on their Leupold crosshairs under certain low in the sky sun conditions.
I had NEVER experienced this?
I called bullschit and took outside, at summer sunset, over 15 of my Rifles with Leupold scopes (variables and fixed powers and target scopes up to 36 power on them) on them and aimed them in every direction - including right below, right next to and right above the setting sun - and came up with absolutely NO disappearing reticles or color changing reticles!
PERIOD!
I reported here on this "test" and my experiences from the past but to only little avail.
I am NOT saying a Leupold scope has NEVER failed - I am sure they have but when the chips are down and the Hunt is important and or in difficult conditions "I" go with Leupold.
Yep I have been using Leupold scopes (binoculars, spotting scopes and compasses as well!) for 56 (fifty six!) years now and the next one to fail on ME will be the first!
Long live Leupold & Stevens Corporation - a fine AMERICAN company.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Good on ya. DOesn't change the fact that I"ve had 4 go TU on me over the years and I"m slowly thinning the L herd out. In fact my last foray with them was 4-12 CDS that just totally doesn't track for a flip on a 300/221 of all things. No recoil with subs. Now that I have a SWFA on hand the L comes off, maybe this week, and will get sent to them to fix and then given to a nephew.

The only one I have left that I have had years and years of solid use out of of is an OLD 4x12.

With all this said its only the tracking thats given me fits for the most part, though there was the 2.5x8 that lost any ability to focus to my eyes.

And lets be fair. I had a tasco target for load work on 223s, that gave up after many rounds.

I"ve yet to kill a weaver.

I've yet to kill a Burris. But both weaver and Burris are not super clear scopes.

I've got a few cheap nikons working on not clear and very dark, but so far so good.

I've got more than a few Zeiss, and I've killed one. They replaced free.

Which brings up L service, its always been super. Though not happy they murdered the prices on changing reticles etc... adding knobs. When my Z died I wanted it fixed and added knobs. They said they had no parts for that old scope and they would upgrade me to a 5 with knobs at no charge as a free replacement.

I'm working a sig BDX hard now and so far other than not quite as clear as I'd prefer its drop stuff has been very nice so far. Out to 500 or so its unbelievably close and out to 1000 so far from the worst miss has been around 10-12 inches at a bit over 1000.

L puts out some good stuff, buy the top end and you'll be happy and you will like their customer service too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
And we’re off!!! 😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Leupold makes nice scopes and has excellent customer service. I would know because I've had the need to use Leupold's customer service many, many times, though I admit I've yet to have the need to send any other manufacturer's scope back other than a Leupold so maybe they're all good. The 6x42 is a setup I particularly like. If only it worked more consistently as an aiming device, it would be a great option for what I do. I have owned dozens of Leupolds but sold most of them. I still have a couple mounted that haven't failed yet. I really do like them when they work.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 01/04/21.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Just for chits and giggles I did a box test today on one of my Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36's and it performed miserably 😂 but i still say for a sleek, lightweight set and forget type scope they are hard to beat 👍......I understand what these scopes are and dont expect any more.....Hb

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I got my first Leupold by buying a Remington model 740 in 244 Remington for $150. Sold the rifle and put the scope on my 30-06. A 4 power basic M7 model. Tracking? Well I couldn't say but it sighted in easily with it's friction adjustments. Used that rifle and scope combination for just about all my hunting for 20 years. Never lost zero and when I was young my guns took some licks. I had the same luck with two older 2-7 Leupolds and when they needed to be worked over I sent them in and Leupold replaced them with the new versions (Freedom?) which have rough adjustments (clicks hah!) which are much larger than the supposed 1/4 inch. So far they have held zero but I have only had them less than 2 years. I don't like them as well as the ones I sent in. As for the high end versions I would not spend a lot of money on a Leupold. They have given me great customer service so far but I will look elsewhere for optics after playing with these last two scopes. At one time I thought Leupold was the best out there when it came to light tough scopes, now not so much. The facts are though I would never have known good tracking if I had not bought a SWFA SS 10x42. Or even that the level of adjustment and repeatability that scope offers was even possible.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by battue

No one is questioning the Mark 6 or Mark 8 tracking, they are built hell stout and heavy as heck, also for their price tag they had better track well.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've killed several. My LAST one died in 40 rounds. Bought a Nightforce.

My buddy bought a brand new gun and could not get it to shoot. Tried several loads etc, and he declared the gun a POS. I asked what scope and it was a Leupold. I told him to throw the scope in the trash and he said "no way it's the scope, its brand new!"

Finally swapped the scope... gun immediately started shooting bugholes. He is now a convert...

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

211 members (14idaho, 16penny, 308xray, 2ndwind, 35WhelenNut, 32 invisible), 1,874 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,626
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.