Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by hatari
Measure the case OAL.

That's what I'd check first, just to rule it out if nothing else.

C.O.L. range from 2.33 to 2.36 out of the 20 or so pull-downs I sampled.

That doesn't tell you where the shoulder of the brass is compared to the inside of the chamber. 3 thousands is a large number when trying to stuff a case in a chamber.

navlav8r suggested this
You can solve it by removing the expanding rod and incrementally turning the FL sizing die down a quarter turn or so, sizing a case and then trying to chamber it. Continue doing that until the case will chamber with very slight pressure. Then try another case or two to check your work. That will move the brass as little as possible. For that trial case(s) you’ll then have to run the expander down into the neck to load it.

If you reload a lot get a Hornady Comparator and then you don't have to guess. They are not that expensive. You will need a good set of electronic calipers to measure your case lengths. Once you get the length figured out with the comparator you can use it to set your full length resizer to get a minimum of resizing.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kenneth
O don't believe there's enough neck tension to prevent a bolt from closing, that bullet will slide back enough to allow bolt closure,

Pull the components, and FL size correctly, the bolt will close.

If his loads were from two years ago, do we even know if the brass was fired in the same chamber?

Brass was fired in the same chamber....only .270 I have. All Hornday factory ammo, some head stamps say Hornady, some Frontier...had trouble with both headstamps.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Rooney
What Blacktailer said!

Until one goes off through the shop wall and into the neighbors house, killing a kid. I get sick and tired of hearing about you stupid fu cks doing this. Yes, check your brass for fit. You should never have to check your loaded rounds unless you have no concept of how to set your dies or know where the lands are. What you guys are doing is a rookie move. Not a great suggestion

Your language is pretty offensive there, sir, and presumes a person is violating the primary rules of gun safety. If someone is not capable of insuring the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction while chambering a round, they have no business owning a firearm, much less handloading. For those who are capable of insuring the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction when chambering a round, then chambering that round is safe, period.
Even though 90% of my rifles have a middle safety position that locks the firing pin while working the action, I still make certain the muzzle is pointed safely before I ever chamber a round, in any circumstance, and with any weapon.
I wouldn't dream of hunting with loads I hadn't run through the chamber.

Respectfully,
Rex

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Candle smoke or sharpie on fired case will tell you all you need to know.

Smoke or sharpie fired case run through action to see where its large, resize case to just bump shoulder using candle smoke or sharpie to set up sizing die.

Last edited by kk alaska; 01/05/21.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Candle smoke or sharpie on fired case will tell you all you need to know.

On a fired case?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dan_oz
FWIW I do check loaded rounds through the action. Not always, but if I've changed anything or when they absolutely need to function. If you don't know how to do that safely you probably shouldn't have a firearm.

On occasion I do this as well. No danger to anyone including myself when done properly.

From time to time I get a hard chambering handload at the range. Since COLs are the same as those that chamber easily, the problem the shoulder did not get pushed back during reloading - likely due to short stroking the press. (I only FL size.)

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You Might Also Check And Make Sure Your Primers Are Seated Fully.. Seen It Happen Before..

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by verns
Primers not seated all the way .

They're good.

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Shooter71
Originally Posted by MichieD
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Rooney
What Blacktailer said!

Until one goes off through the shop wall and into the neighbors house, killing a kid. I get sick and tired of hearing about you stupid fu cks doing this. Yes, check your brass for fit. You should never have to check your loaded rounds unless you have no concept of how to set your dies or know where the lands are. What you guys are doing is a rookie move. Not a great suggestion

Ok Karen. Make sure you wear your mask too. If it troubles you so, remove the firing pin first, or have someone do it for you.

Good Lord, no wonder this country is being run by binary people.

One question, would you feel comfortable with your self-proclaimed gun expert neighbor checking loaded rounds with a rifle pointed at your kid’s bedroom wall? I wouldn’t. Mechanical things happen. Pins drop.
To the OP, learn how to measure headspace on YOUR chamber, full length size your brass to control the shoulder and base or you’ll fight it, end up with clickers, and ruin your brass in a few firings. Pop the primer out before measuring a fired piece of brass or it’ll give false readings.

I'm certain you have drank a trunk load of liberal loads. Where do you idiots come from?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you have a ground floor level, couldn't you just point the rifle toward the floor when you chamber the loads?

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've always only used FLS dies that I've adjusted so the case is a firm fit in the rifle (slight resistance when closing the bolt), so it's only sizing enough and not actually a complete FLS. I did this also with my M14 when I was alowed to have one. Obviously it doesn't want to be left too tight in a semi- auto, but I got it right. Case life has been good and they have ultimately died of neck cracks, or been pilfered by someone else.

I don't anneal any of my case necks because it seems like a pain in the backside, and case life has been good anyway. The only cases of mine that are subject to extra work hardening due to crimping are my 500NE but they still last really well. I never crimp anything else, even the 375H&H and 458WM - the projectiles stay put but then again the rifles are heavy so recoil seems to be below anything that might pull the projectiles out or pound them in (in the magazine), I know there is an arguement for crimping for uniformity but I've never really experienced it. I have a Lee crimp die (collet stylle) for the 458 that I had experimented with but found it uneccessary.

[I unscrew the firing pin/bolt shroud from my bolt guns when I try the cases when setting up the FLS die and always use a fresh fired case when trying rather than using the same case while making die adjustments in case that has an affect - start tight and then adjust down the die in small steps with a fresh case each time. The fired cases I start with have to be a tight fit of course and they generally are.]

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 01/05/21.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by hatari
Measure the case OAL.

That's what I'd check first, just to rule it out if nothing else.

C.O.L. range from 2.33 to 2.36 out of the 20 or so pull-downs I sampled.

Are these measurements using the Hornady gauge, if so, not a lot of help to us here.

If they are actual COL, cartridge overall length, (base to tip of bullet) then something is wrong.

It has been asked a couple times here, but I have not seen your answer.

How are you neck sizing?
Neck die, brand?
FL die backed out, brand and how it was set up?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great thread!
I’ve had this happen with my 270 and was wondering if it was the expander ball stretching the case back out, when retracting out. It feels likes it’s hard to pull out.
Or as other said . Squeezing the case too much and Pushing the shoulder out.

Last edited by Dre; 01/07/21.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
A lot easier to check the fit on a resized case than a loaded one, gets quite interesting having a loaded round stuck in the chamber with the bolt unable to extract the loaded round.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (270cowboy, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1234, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,522
Posts18,491,050
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.