Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JaquesLaRami
I'm not a farmer by nature, I'm a rancher. Ranchers can fix anything with duct tape and baling wire--A farmer has a nice mechanic shop. We can drive a pickup faster through the sage brush than a farmer, especially if we know a farmer who can put it back together for us.

This describes my dad to a tee! He will anything to stay out of a tractor if farming is involved. Loves his cows though.....

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Depending on what side of the family, 1 or 2 generations. My paternal side of the family tried to capture the cattle market from the birth of the calves in the Rockies to their slaughter in the Chicago stockyards--they made it work, for about 15-20 years smile

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Two . . . Maternal grandparents used to farm.

Three . . . Paternal great grandparents used to farm also.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
2 generations. My paternal grandparents homesteaded in NoDak in 1910, my maternal grandparents had a dairy farm in Wisconsin.

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My old man worked the family farm until he left for the Air Force back in '60. He used the GI bill to go to school and then computers back when vacuum tubes and paper program cards ruled the day.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not really sure.

My grand father farmed but also worked at Champion Paper Mill in Canton, NC. Probably made more at the mill but he was always looked upon by the community as a farmer.

Skipped dad I guess. He worked on his dad's farm through high school and right after graduating he played for the Cincinnati Reds ('67-'68) and then got drafted. After his tour was up he went to Fruitland Bible College and has been a Baptist preacher ever since. I married a girl and we live on her grandparents' farm which we try to work. I work for a New Holland tractor dealership and she is a high school nurse to more or less support the farm. The farm survives but we seem to spend every penny we get to keep it running. It's a vicious cycle.

In my job at the tractor dealership I see less and less full time farmers every day. The county in which I work went from 17 working dairy farms to 2 in about 7 or 8 years. Most of the "farmers" do it for supplemental income or just for the love of it. The days of living off of the family farm seem to be rapidly disappearing. Kinda sad but ultimately true. God bless the ones that still do - they earn every penny that they get and it ain't ever enough.

beati pacifici quoniam filii Dei vocabuntur Matthew 5:9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We milked until about 1968 and grew some corn and hay. My brothers and I still own the farm. It's small, 48 acres but it kept us in beef, chicken and pork for years. We cash rent the ground now. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two generations. Both of my grandfaters were farmers. My dad grew up working on the farm.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
1.5. My Dad came to town to quit the "hard life" in the fifties, and became a plumber. He wanted a better life for his kids. It worked with my brother and sister. I'm the "sorry" one. But my Dad told someone (in confidence) one time that he is proudest of me...'cause I'm "JUST LIKE HIM". (Tears)

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Zero, if your definition of "agriculture" is broad enough to include forestry. My maternal great grandfather was in the Oklahoma Cherokee Strip run and homesteaded about 9 miles north of Alva, OK. and farmed the homestead. My father was a custom farmer/harvester in the TX Panhandle. I worked all my high school years plowing, disking, harrowing, drilling, and harvesting wheat and milo and working in an agriculture equipment business. My stepfather farmed and ranched for a living. The family corporation is still involved directly in farming and ranching.

RLD

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My great grandparents homesteaded against the Canadian border in North Dakota. I have cousins still farming in northern Minnesota.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am an agrologist and commercial turkey farmer, 2nd generation. Dad died just two weeks ago, so we are now the "current" generation I guess. At present I'm only a shareholder in the family farm, my bother and wife run the farm and I do outside work for an engineering company. My wife and I also "farm" a fair bit of hay land, and we do some forestry / silviculture on our bush land. ( it's mostly an elk, moose & deer hunting camp and trapline though!) In the past my wife kept leafcutter bees, did some commercial strawberry production, and a few other small ventures.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
one

Bullwnkl

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Two; both sets of grandparents farmed. My parents both worked on the farm until graduated from school and married, so technically, one generation out. We still plant two gardens each year, and Dad and Mom still remember milking cows, feeding chickens, chopping cotton, slaughtering hogs etc. I grew up in the suburbs, and thus have virtually no farm experiences outside of our gardening.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I gotta bale hay tomorrow...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Zero

I grew up irrigating hay and silage corn, bucking bales, and milking cows. I can hitch a team or drive a tractor. While it is no longer our primary means of support, I still own agricultural property and file a schedule F.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by okie
I gotta bale hay tomorrow...

Dang, I feel for you. Finished all of ours the week of the 4th. Still feed an oinker or two and fatten a calf, but I wouldn't call what I do making a livin'. Brother has Cargill hog barns and has done very well for himself.

CK

CK
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Dad and Grandfather farmed, and I worked on the farm until I got out of school. I have worked for farmers a couple of different times since then when I quit the Highway
department. I always ended up back at the Highway Dept. surveying and have over thiry-five years with them. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by castnblast
Dad died just two weeks ago, so we are now the "current" generation I guess.

castnblast,
So sorry to hear about your dad Prayers are with your family.
BigMamma

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (219 Wasp, 219DW, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,996
Posts18,520,320
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.