Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I"m in my mid 70's, have a modest collection of Savage rifles. I have what I feel are some very nice models and calibers. My problem is my kids ages 40-50 have no interest in them and would sell them for 50 cents on the dollar. I have many I haven't shot in years and probably won't. None of my friends are into Savages so I won't give any to them. I have a range in the back yard and shoot one or two occasionally, always the same ones. I get no satisfaction shooting alone and do it for the skill to shoot a deer, this year I shot a doe at a lazored 420 yards with a 308 DL- one shot. My question is should I sell them- I don't need the money- or let my kids get rid of them when I go to the big shooting range in the sky. I would like them to go to someone who would appreciate them for what they are and not to turn them over for a quick buck. The other option and I like it is to fire up the JD with the post hole digger, buy some schedule 80 plastic pipe, and vacuum seal bags and plant them 6 feet down and give someone a surprise when they develop my property. Thoughts?

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If your kids have no interest in them then they are going to appreciate a bag of money in lieu of a safe full of rifles that they have no idea of their value or how or where to dispose of them.

Sell them. You can't take them with you and your heirs will thank you.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Been dealing with my wife's family trying to work through probate and dispose of her mother's small estate. Your will controls what happens.. you can specify that they be split among the kids and let them worry about it, specify an auction house that everything goes to for sale, could even require your executor to notify the savage 99 facebook group or the campfire about the auction. That's actually a good idea.. about to redo my will, think I'll put that in.

Depending on your state, the probate court may require your collection be appraised. Mine would. Another thing an auction house might be able to help with.

If you want to maximize the $$ from the guns to pass on to the kids or wife and to reduce the headache of getting rid of them.. best to sell them yourself ahead of time.

Tough choices. Just figure in what you want as the primary part of the equation.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 300savagehunter
I"m in my mid 70's, have a modest collection of Savage rifles. I have what I feel are some very nice models and calibers. My problem is my kids ages 40-50 have no interest in them and would sell them for 50 cents on the dollar. I have many I haven't shot in years and probably won't. None of my friends are into Savages so I won't give any to them. I have a range in the back yard and shoot one or two occasionally, always the same ones. I get no satisfaction shooting alone and do it for the skill to shoot a deer, this year I shot a doe at a lazored 420 yards with a 308 DL- one shot. My question is should I sell them- I don't need the money- or let my kids get rid of them when I go to the big shooting range in the sky. I would like them to go to someone who would appreciate them for what they are and not to turn them over for a quick buck. The other option and I like it is to fire up the JD with the post hole digger, buy some schedule 80 plastic pipe, and vacuum seal bags and plant them 6 feet down and give someone a surprise when they develop my property. Thoughts?

Mike

Sell them yourself and enjoy the money as you wish. Don't worry about the kids. Mine are in their 40's, I spent a zillion dollars on their education, they are doing very well. Not my problem anymore. I am not worried about leaving any money for them. It will happen just as a matter of course but they have assured me that they are not expecting me to do that. Just enjoy life. You reach a point in life where raising the children is finished. Happened pretty early in my life and I turned out fine. They will too.

Home for wayward neglected 99's.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Post them here!
....talk about appreciate them for what they are.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I deal with this a lot as a gun seller. I feel its better for you to deal with them. Too often I work with family that don't know what they are doing , what they are worth and they are frustrated by dealing with this. You can bring joy to other collectors, make some contacts and maybe some friends and when your kids take over the estate they will appreciate not having to deal with the guns, ammo, reloading and accouterments. Unfortunately, the family gets pennies from gun sellers that take advantage. I treat everyone like I would want someone to treat my wife when I'm gone, thats kinda rare. Just my two cents. Last year I bought 3/4 of a million dollars in estate guns for the shop I work with. A lot of families.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 300savagehunter

Mike

I am in exactly the same boat. EXACTLY................ All of my guns are catalogued with pictures, location in which safe exactly what I paid and all other information that goes with that particular firearm. I have no intention of selling at this point. If I die first my wife will either dispose of them or have someone else handle the process. Each purchase price will have an increase of 25% and that will be that. The way things are going today, that would be a bargain. I am still in buying mode.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sell em .....if the family doesnt appreciate them and are willing to sell for 50 cents to the dollar ,,,,Then they wont or dont need the money from them either ......Sell to someone that appreciates them ,for what they are and donate the proceeds to a charity of your choice

Work hard ... play hard
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

50 cents on the dollar if one is lucky.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
There is satisfaction in puting them where you think they belong.
Another thought is a museum does cody need any savages?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you don’t need the money and your kids don’t care then I say keep them until your dying day. You can’t take it with you also applies to money so if they are bringing some pleasure into your life then why deprive yourself of that?! If your kids are inclined to sell them for pennies on the dollar then obviously they don’t need the money too. Keep the guns and take value in the pleasure they bring you. And one day, when we are all gone, neither guns, money nor worry will mean a thing.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm keeping most of mine because they bring me pleasure in owning them. Therefor only a few are for sale. This is a choice that an individual has make depending on the way they feel about the object whatever it is. The curator at Cody told me they would give me a very high appraisal for donating my rifles. The value they put on them would be a tax write off. I would rather have the guns.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by S99VG
If you don’t need the money and your kids don’t care then I say keep them until your dying day. You can’t take it with you also applies to money so if they are bringing some pleasure into your life then why deprive yourself of that?! If your kids are inclined to sell them for pennies on the dollar then obviously they don’t need the money too. Keep the guns and take value in the pleasure they bring you. And one day, when we are all gone, neither guns, money nor worry will mean a thing.

That wasn't my answer, but your point is well stated and has merit.

It boils down to a personal choice.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My collection of 99's is meager and what would be leftovers to most here. But still worthy enough that i have a guy that wants the whole kit and kaboodle when i die. He has already agreed in writing to the price of each by serial number. If i sell earlier thats just one he dosent pay the wife for. I will already have spent the money on something else😁 so far i have sold one 99 ever😃

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wyo1895
I'm keeping most of mine because they bring me pleasure in owning them. Therefor only a few are for sale. This is a choice that an individual has make depending on the way they feel about the object whatever it is. The curator at Cody told me they would give me a very high appraisal for donating my rifles. The value they put on them would be a tax write off. I would rather have the guns.

The problem of giving stuff to museums and universities is that most of them don't really care for firearms. The general tone that I've heard is something like "You have more than you need, so give some of it to us and when we have control of it, we'll sell some, maybe most, of it to fund things that we really want.".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sell them all and buy the next Monarch that comes up for sale and take it hunting.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I like it

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Best answer yet!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I see you're in SW Pa. Why don't you bring them to the Pa. Rendezvous this summer. Spend a three day weekend shooting, eating , drinking (after the guns are put away) and BSing with like minded enthusiasts, and sell them to members of The 99 Club who would be more than happy and appreciative of the opportunity to rehome some of your treasures as their own.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 01/05/21.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I heard there's a fine target range in heaven that goes out to 1000 yards, so I plan on taking them all with me. Wouldn't want to show up there and have to borrow a rifle from St. Peter you know. I hear there's an even better range in hell that goes out to 2000 yards but the trouble is you can't bring your own guns and must shoot the .50 BMG Barrett's they issue, with no recoil absorption devices, and no ear protection, all day every day for eternity.

What, me worry? grin

Seriously though, I hope to heck I will see my end coming and have time to sell or give away my treasures. If not and I go under a bus, I'll take care to will all my Savage stuff to you guys and y'all can fight over them (or walk away in disgust)! With no kids and a family full of "I don't care much about guns" people it's a quandary I've often thought of. Easiest route would be to sell out lock-stock-and-barrel now and take the money and blow it on cognac and hookers in Paris.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 7 invisible), 1,420 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,511
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.