Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I just cannot believe a $500 price tag for anything made in china. That scope probably cost burris $7 to build over there ๐Ÿ˜

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I just cannot believe a $500 price tag for anything made in china. That scope probably cost burris $7 to build over there ๐Ÿ˜

Then somebody in America made some good $ from me. I think it's pretty typical for the price to increase (double?) several times from manufacturer to distributer to retailer no matter where the product is made or what the product is.

Last edited by centershot; 04/13/21.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F

I just exchanged email with Burris, regarding a question I had regarding the Signature HD 3x-15x x 44 scope, Plex reticle, part number 200532.

I asked about the reticle...was it etched glass or a wire? Burris said it was etched.

If that's true, I guess it surprises me. Tho I'm not a reticle expert, I always thought an etched-on-glass reticle was usually a mark of a higher priced
and/or higher quality scope.

Has anyone else in the group researched that specification? Conclusion?

As a rule of thumb, is etched reticle better, or more reliable....or what?? Or marketing ploy...or even possibly sometimes a lie?

FjLee

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most airgun rated scopes are etched. Whatever the reticle is in the Burris Signature HD's it is nice and sharp.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is the illumination adjustment on the side I assume? Canโ€™t find a pic anywhere of thatโ€ฆ.

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
IC B2

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
On the fullfield 1V its on the side of the parallax adjustment.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Originally Posted by slm9s
My go to elk scope is the Leupold vx6 2-12 with the illuminated long range duplex (which they don't make anymore). I just ran across this Burris Signature HD 3-15x44 with illuminated "Ballistic E3" reticle. 20 ounces, 1 inch tube, illumination with a holdover reticle - checks a lot of boxes for my needs. 3-15 is about the perfect power range IMO, I wish my VX6's were 3-15. I rarely dial when hunting, but it has locking turrets with zero stop. If these have 'very good' or better glass they sound like a great hunting scope.
Anyone have any experience with these?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022349512?pid=742572

I cant imagine the glass would be as good as the VX6 you have. Ive owned Burris scopes across their line and to my eyes, their glass is always lacking. Its the biggest thing that keeps me away from these scopes.

And I bet the illumination would also be lacking.

I've been unimpressed by what Burris offers as "illumination". I'd rather they offered the scope without the extra weight or cost of their "illumination", because I don't find it to be usable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[/quote]

And I bet the illumination would also be lacking.

I've been unimpressed by what Burris offers as "illumination". I'd rather they offered the scope without the extra weight or cost of their "illumination", because I don't find it to be usable.[/quote]

They do offer it w/o illumination and to support the fact that quality optics are a personal thing, I think most Burris optics are very good for the price.

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I guess I may be resurrecting an old thread here but I just joined this forum to respond to this post by saying I just purchased a Burris Sig HD in 3-15X44 ILL where the other scopes on my shortlist were Vortex's 4-16X44 Viper ($599) Leupold 4.5-14X40 VX3HD ($749) and 4-16X42 VX5HD ($999) and for the price point?...was left unimpressed by Leupolds soft clicking turrets that actually felt mushy as compared to the others along with side focus hash marks on the VX5 that read 75yds when it was focused at a known 100yd object and speaking of side focus hash marks?...the lack of them on the Burris Sig HD was disconcerting to me until I picked up a $1,200 Zeiss Z4 5-25 and noticed it's SF had no hash marks either where I concluded if Leupolds SF hash marks could be off by 25%?...maybe it's not a great idea to use SF hash marks as an impromptu rangefinder anyways and that said?....the glass on the chinese made Burris Sig HD was actually awesome and I dare say rivaled the (twice the price) Loopy VX5 glass for brightness and edge-to-edge clarity and the EDC3 reticle of the Burris blew the others away in that I too believe it to be an "Etched Glass" reticle....it's just way cleaner looking in appearance and real easy on the eyes in what appears to be a real handy, user friendly layout.

I personally found the Illuminated crosshair feature to be awesome in that there's no "Staring Into The Deep Blue Sky" method of focusing the reticle/ocular necessary because I noticed that that little blurry red flare of a crosshair cleaned right up to a crisp edged + sign by simply focusing the ocular eyepiece which in turn brought the entire reticle into crystal clear focus.

I pretty much had my heart set on the Leupold VX5 and a knot in my gut as I walked into Bass Pro knowing I was getting ready to drop a grand on it but that knot in my gut went away as I confidently strolled out with my new Burris Sig HD and $500 to spare.

FWIW?...it's replacing a 30 year old Bushnell on a Ruger M77 Mark II All Weather (aka: "Boat Paddle") in .270win...weather permitting I'll put it through its paces this Friday including boxing it out and post the results here if y'all like.

Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak The Truth
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Marine77
I guess I may be resurrecting an old thread here but I just joined this forum to respond to this post by saying I just purchased a Burris Sig HD in 3-15X44 ILL where the other scopes on my shortlist were Vortex's 4-16X44 Viper ($599) Leupold 4.5-14X40 VX3HD ($749) and 4-16X42 VX5HD ($999) and for the price point?...was left unimpressed by Leupolds soft clicking turrets that actually felt mushy as compared to the others along with side focus hash marks on the VX5 that read 75yds when it was focused at a known 100yd object and speaking of side focus hash marks?...the lack of them on the Burris Sig HD was disconcerting to me until I picked up a $1,200 Zeiss Z4 5-25 and noticed it's SF had no hash marks either where I concluded if Leupolds SF hash marks could be off by 25%?...maybe it's not a great idea to use SF hash marks as an impromptu rangefinder anyways and that said?....the glass on the chinese made Burris Sig HD was actually awesome and I dare say rivaled the (twice the price) Loopy VX5 glass for brightness and edge-to-edge clarity and the EDC3 reticle of the Burris blew the others away in that I too believe it to be an "Etched Glass" reticle....it's just way cleaner looking in appearance and real easy on the eyes in what appears to be a real handy, user friendly layout.

I personally found the Illuminated crosshair feature to be awesome in that there's no "Staring Into The Deep Blue Sky" method of focusing the reticle/ocular necessary because I noticed that that little blurry red flare of a crosshair cleaned right up to a crisp edged + sign by simply focusing the ocular eyepiece which in turn brought the entire reticle into crystal clear focus.

I pretty much had my heart set on the Leupold VX5 and a knot in my gut as I walked into Bass Pro knowing I was getting ready to drop a grand on it but that knot in my gut went away as I confidently strolled out with my new Burris Sig HD and $500 to spare.

FWIW?...it's replacing a 30 year old Bushnell on a Ruger M77 Mark II All Weather (aka: "Boat Paddle") in .270win...weather permitting I'll put it through its paces this Friday including boxing it out and post the results here if y'all like

For under $500.00 the Burris Signature HD 3-15x44mm - E3 MOA - Illuminated is a great scope that competes with scope much more expensive.

The versatility the Signature HD 3-15x44 scope shines for shooters needing bright, clear view sat a wide range of distances. The choice of either the Ballistic E3 Illuminated or Plex reticle delivers accurate shots both near and far. Precise side parallax focus, push/pull and zero-stop locking turrets give shooters complete control.

Mid-range scope in hunting and target models (low and high knobs)

โ€ข Choice of illuminated or non-illuminated MOA reticles
โ€ข 5x zoom system with premium, multi-coated glass for crisp, bright images
โ€ข New push/pull locking turrets
โ€ข Available with a wide choice of front and rear focal plane reticles
โ€ข Side parallax adjustment on most models
โ€ข Zero stop feature on all target knobs

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
People complain about China, but products like this are still made to company specs-no matter where the factory is.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Leupold Vari X IIc 4-12X40 AO that I will trade for a Burris Signature HD 3-15x44.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
$450 for a Chinese made Burris or $450 for a Philippines made Burris? Yeah the Veracity is heavier buts its also made better.
https://www.natchezss.com/burris-ve...30mm-ballistic-e2-reticle-rfp-matte.html

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I really appreciate the objective viewpoints being shared here along with insightful knowledge of factories happening to meet manufacturers requirements were build quality is concerned and overkill45..,honestly?โ€ฆ iโ€™m not very familiar with Burrisโ€™s line of scopes and this is my first 1st hand experience with such and?โ€ฆIโ€™m not even sure that there was a veracity scope available at bass pro nor was I aware of them being more ruggedly built but I guess I lucked out in that the rifle this Sig HD is going on is a rather lightweight rifle and itโ€™s my intent to keep it that way as โ€œweight โ€œ was a concern in my selection process but good to know about the veracityโ€ฆI may consider one in the future for my DPMS Panther .308

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Overkill45
$450 for a Chinese made Burris or $450 for a Philippines made Burris? Yeah the Veracity is heavier buts its also made better.
https://www.natchezss.com/burris-ve...30mm-ballistic-e2-reticle-rfp-matte.html

I bought two of the Burris Veracity scopes from Natchez.The focus ring on neither would turn,I could not focus them in for my eyes.One was FFF and the other 2nd.Natchez took them and gave my money back.Now I am reading on other forums that this is a common problem with the Veracity .I have had good luck with the FFII`s and probably would not buy any other model from them.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Ya know what?โ€ฆboth of the vortexโ€™s I tried at the counter had tightened down ocular eyepieces as did the NIB Burris Sig HD I brought home all of which took quite the force to loosen from newโ€ฆand then it spun like butter with what seemed a bit of excess lubricationโ€ฆI think this is part of the final assy where they literally tighten the focus down hard to seal that lubricant for shipping purposes so the end user doesnโ€™t open up a new scope where that extra lube leached out onto the lense?

Just a thought

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Marine77
Ya know what?โ€ฆboth of the vortexโ€™s I tried at the counter had tightened down ocular eyepieces as did the NIB Burris Sig HD I brought home all of which took quite the force to loosen from newโ€ฆand then it spun like butter with what seemed a bit of excess lubricationโ€ฆI think this is part of the final assy where they literally tighten the focus down hard to seal that lubricant for shipping purposes so the end user doesnโ€™t open up a new scope where that extra lube leached out onto the lense?

Just a thought

I had talked to a Burris Tech who said that is not right.Send them back.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Well this is my first effort at posting pix here so we'll see...or not! LOL! (in which case you can just click the linked images) but on with my mounting and range experience with my 3-15X44 Burris Signature HD scope as mounted on a Ruger "All Weather" (AKA:"Boat Paddle) chambered in .270win as mounted using Leupold 1"/High Mount/Offset Rings which I found a bit disconcerting as the front offset mount bridge appears to be on the ultra-wimpy side however?...me being a 35 year aerospace machinist I have faith in the fact that these rings are "Forged Steel" (and not just machined from standard billet./plate/bar stock) and the structural integrity that comes by way of the unified structural strength of rear mount, front mount and scope tube working in unison as an assembly but still?...LOL...however I imagine Leupold design engineers were looking to save the hunter ounces and that they did! LOL!...but the big points come by way of fit and ergonomics as I can now shoulder this rifle with closed eyes and when I open my right?....the scopes sight picture is right where it should be and it was these rings that gave me the adjustability necessary to achieve that....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I bore-sighted it the old fashioned way by setting up on our dining table, removing the bolt and looking through the bore centering a spot (a light on our kitchen stove 12' away) in the bore then adjusted the scopes crosshairs to a spot 1.830" (my measured distance between scope and bore centers) above the light in the bore...granted it's a bo-bo method of bore sighting but it got me on paper at 50yds 1st shot 6 1/2"s low 1 1/2"s right using some old 140gr Silvertips where by shot #5 (guesstimating clicks with "about that many clicks" spins of the knobs) I was well centered and confident enough to move out to 100yds and start using my fresh bought Federal Premium 140gr Berger Hybrid Hunter Bullets and Winchester 130gr Deer Season XP Extreme Point Bullets and both grouped well in the 15-20mph gusting head-on winds holding 1"- 1 1/2" groupings though I did notice the Federal 140's grouped slightly to the left while the Winchester 130's grouped slightly to the right (for some reason...maybe) LOL

[Linked Image]

After slow fire doping both brands and bullet weights at 100yds?...I moved out to 200yds and was greeted by a 2" group of 3 shots using the Winchester 130gr Extreme Point Bullets which oddly enough seemed to group slightly better than the Federal Premium 140gr Berger Hybrid Hunter Bullets but the big takeaway here was the 200yd Hashmark of the Burris Sig HD BDC Reticle was spot-on! smile

[Linked Image]

And here's my mixed bag of pros and cons...

The Glass: on this scope is incredible despite it $500 price tag and at 15 magnification no spotting scope was necessary as hits were crystal clear at 200yds even to my old eyes....you'll be looking through $1,000+ scopes if you found better.

The Turrets: The clear & concise step-by-step instructions on Burris's website made using the High Mount Zero Stop Elevation Turret and the Low Mount Windage Turret straightforward and easy to adjust and zero out with true to size clicks of 1/4"@100yds adjustment.

The Illuminated Crosshair: Is obviously useless if you're a daylight hours only target shooter but a value added blessing for dawn to dusk hunters with 6 power levels but?....no auto-off feature.

Lense Covers: Apparently?...for $499.05 you don't get any but what you do get is?....

Burris's "FOREVER WARRANTY": which is Regardless of Owner Transferable, No Shipping or Repair Charges, No Registration, No Receipt & NO QUESTIONS ASKED and for that?...I'll go ahead and shell out for some Butler Creek lens covers rather than get a warm fuzzy over some cheesy included ones on bungee cords! LOL!

Hope you enjoyed the review as much as I enjoyed reviewing it! smile

Last edited by Marine77; 04/09/22.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
No offense, but that offset ring mount is one of the most hideous things I've seen screwed on a rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
No offense, but that offset ring mount is one of the most hideous things I've seen screwed on a rifle.

The most hideous thing I see, is a scope made in CHY-NA mounted on a good old American made rifle

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 270cowboy, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 48 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,420
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.