Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
I worked in automotive safety design/ manufacturing.
Remember an article back in one of the trade mags around 2000.

50% of vehicle deaths caused by intrusion.

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by hookeye
Originally Posted by Esox357
Cars and food kill alot of people!

Yeah, but when youre young you really shouldnt have a list of people you know that died, IMHO

Remind all of them when any consider voting dem

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Not this year.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Salty303
60s 70s and in to the 80s were brutal for fatal car crashes out here. Cars were pretty fast but tires, brakes and steering were horrible compared to today and drinking and driving was a way of life.

That’s been my experience, seems like back in the 70’s when I was in High School every graduating class lost a handful of students to car wrecks.

I’ve been around high school since the 90’s now and fatal wrecks have become thankfully much less common, in a large part due to improvements in car design.

In high school I drove an old VW Microbus, a death trap if there ever was one, my son fifteen years back drove a little Toyota Tercel. Stopped in traffic he was rear ended by a 1/2 ton pickup which never touched the brakes. On impact the trunk and gas tank folded down and under, my son protected from whiplash by the seat design.

His car was driven violently into the car in front, engine folding down, front end crushed, passenger compartment remained intact, airbag deployed. My son walked away without serious injury other than the seat belt bruise diagonally across his chest.

If he had been in my old VW microbus whiplash could have snapped his neck right before his legs were crushed and he was impaled on the steering column.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I get the concern my kids had, but damn, I don't think they need to see somebody they knew dead in a wreck.
Glad he was found ( I told em last night it would only be a recovery). And glad it was not by them.

Might help slow them down and let them see reality a little sooner in life, I know it did my kid, As it did me.

When I was 16 I watched a good friend of mine die, It was horrible to see at the time but I suspect it saved me from my teen years.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
My kids are girls and now in their 20s.
They are careful drivers.

But that only helps so much.

Rainy night, some old fugger went wrong way and blasted two of their friends on a 4 lane.

You can be careful and still get smoked by a dumbass.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
seeing death is a realistic thing. I think everyone should. Kids included.

Rather than keep em in a cocoon.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
5 of my dope smokin, 4wheelin, bungie jumping, rock climbing, going to the lake buds are dead

4 over doses
1- drowned from being too drunk

No wrecks

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
I think folks can be realistic about death without having to look at their freinds smashed in a car.

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
About 12 yrs ago the kids were with their mom and a bad wreck happened right ahead of them.

Kids got to see the decapitated stranger.

Think that was bad enough.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I can’t tell you how many times I cheated death as a teenager. I was at the wheel for most of them and a passenger in a few others.

I’m not proud of any of that stupid chit I did back then. I’m very thankful that I did not hurt or kill anyone. These “bonus years” have been pretty good.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For all the dumb chit I did, I am lucky to be alive. We used to drive our Plymouth Horizon (The Hor) from the passenger seat.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Salty303
60s 70s and in to the 80s were brutal for fatal car crashes out here. Cars were pretty fast but tires, brakes and steering were horrible compared to today and drinking and driving was a way of life.

This. We lost plenty in the muscle car age terrible brakes with fast cars and testosterone equals bad wrecks. We had three killed in two wrecks in one week from my class.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

I lost a good friend in the Mary Pang warehouse fire. Death seemed to be a constant companion in my youth.

My buddy and I were working in a warehouse next door that night. Didn't we lose 3 or 4 Firefighters ?

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by rost495
seeing death is a realistic thing. I think everyone should. Kids included.

Rather than keep em in a cocoon.

Ehhh.......not so sure.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cluggins
For all the dumb chit I did, I am lucky to be alive. We used to drive our Plymouth Horizon (The Hor) from the passenger seat.

Is that like a Dodge Omni?

lol

Wannabe Gremlin?? 😃

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Cluggins

Is that like a Dodge Omni?

lol

Wannabe Gremlin?? 😃

Yep, just the plymouth version. My parents bought me a beat up used one in high school figuring I couldn't get in much trouble with it. I drove it like Joie Chitwood and am lucky I didn't kill myself or worse, one of my friends or somebody else. We lost a lot more kids in my day than my kids have in their time in school. My kids are a bit smarter than I was at their age. They actually listen to me unlike me and my parents.

Last edited by jdunham; 01/05/21.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yeah, but when youre young you really shouldnt have a list of people you know that died, IMHO

Welcome to life. PS Don't take it to serious......no one gets out alive.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

299 members (10gaugemag, 280fan, 204guy, 264mag, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 39 invisible), 1,729 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,844
Posts18,517,306
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.