Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I gave my son in law a model 70 30-06 for a wedding present. He's really pumped up to get out and shoot it. He wants to take the hunter safety course as soon as we can. He and my daughter both put their careers and education before family, so he's 32 and my daughter is 30. By the time they start cranking out grand kids, I'll probably be too old to participate much. I'll have to get him trained up while I still can.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
GB1

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I see this a lot in my appraisal business. The kids are not interested and they just dump the guns. However,I had one client who sat all his kids and grandkids down and said "If you want any of my guns speak up now or they will be sold." Surprisingly, 2 of his teenage grandsons expressed interest and now he is teaching them to shoot and is having a great time. I don't know your situation,but it would not hurt to tell them plainly that it is time to speak up. You might be surprised.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Right now is a good time to sell if you are going that route.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by JeffG
I'm imagining the best we can do with our acquisitions, is inspire the next generation of Savage lovers, whether they're from our loins, our neighborhood or not. Having a rifle and a story to pass on makes us rich men!

And that, dear hearts, is one reason I put a Savage rifle into the hands of a deserving kid at Noxen last summer. We all have to do what we can to keep the flame alive in the next generation. This talk is giving me some new ideas...

Why don't we start a deserving kid thread. Anyone knowing of such could post about it and i know i for one would trust anyone on here and donate. Cant think of a better end to my collecting. Sell them spend the money its gone give one to the next generation and you will take it to your reward, whatever it is.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

[/quote]A problem that I have found when giving guns away is that some of those people will come back and ask you to give more to them or to friends of theirs [/quote]
Hey Jeff,
Give some to me, I don't have any friends to worry about.

😉😏😂

I like mad dog's idea.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sell the to guys that will use and enjoy them..
Got a Model 99 in 358 WInchester?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by 300savagehunter
I"m in my mid 70's, have a modest collection of Savage rifles. I have what I feel are some very nice models and calibers. My problem is my kids ages 40-50 have no interest in them and would sell them for 50 cents on the dollar. I have many I haven't shot in years and probably won't. None of my friends are into Savages so I won't give any to them. I have a range in the back yard and shoot one or two occasionally, always the same ones. I get no satisfaction shooting alone and do it for the skill to shoot a deer, this year I shot a doe at a lazored 420 yards with a 308 DL- one shot. My question is should I sell them- I don't need the money- or let my kids get rid of them when I go to the big shooting range in the sky. I would like them to go to someone who would appreciate them for what they are and not to turn them over for a quick buck. The other option and I like it is to fire up the JD with the post hole digger, buy some schedule 80 plastic pipe, and vacuum seal bags and plant them 6 feet down and give someone a surprise when they develop my property. Thoughts?

Mike

Sell them for what you think they are worth while you have control of them and use the money for whatever moves you. That's the path that I'm starting down and the one that I can sincerely recommend to you.

A problem that I have found when giving guns away is that some of those people will come back and ask you to give more to them or to friends of theirs

You ARE joking, RIGHT? I PAID what I think they are worth TO ME. You don't honestly think someone HERE will buy them from me for what I still think they were worth. Do you? laugh laugh laugh

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=eaglemountainman]
Hhmmm...."cognac and hookers in Paris"

I've never tried cognac. Is it good?

I have two sons and a grandson that are avid hunters and gun enthusiasts. I started giving them pieces of my gun pile in the last three years and will continue to do so. I have pretty well identified how to split the collection among the "boys" in case I leave this world before I've handed them all off. My wife will manage distribution.

If none of my kids had any interest in them, I would encourage my wife to sell any she doesn't want to keep. My long-time hunting buddy and I have an agreement to handle pricing and sales for our widows if it comes to that. None of his family "like" guns. :-(

T.S.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
You ARE joking, RIGHT? I PAID what I think they are worth TO ME. You don't honestly think someone HERE will buy them from me for what I still think they were worth. Do you? laugh laugh laugh

I think we ALL have at least a few guns we bought because we wanted them and to [bleep] with buying them as an investment opportunity. grin

My goal is to live long enough to make all of my guns worth more than what I paid.

Last edited by Calhoun; 01/07/21.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Other than a couple of Colt Peacemakers I have never bought a gun for an investment. I brought them because I wanted to shoot them. Some of them have appreciated in value like the pre-war pigeon grade Browning Superpose I paid $325 for in 1970 lol.

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If interested in putting them in the hands of people that are truly interested in Savage Levers you might consider offering to select members of the 24 or FB.

I don't want mine going to someone only interiested in drilling holes, or selling to make a fast buck. Not excited about lining the pockets of middle men either. Some I've had so long they are like part of the family not just a tool.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 16 invisible), 1,472 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,487
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.