Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Also aside: The biological theory that animsl grow larger further north from the equatoer is known as Bergman's Rule or Law, and in fact it is wrong.

Well, it applies to some temperate-zone animals. Whitetails, for instance, grow progressively larger the further north you go. This is to deal with colder winter temperatures; the larger bodies conserve heat better. The southern whitetails have relatively larger ears and tails to disperse heat.

But caribou, for instance, grow smaller the further north they are found. They are largest roughly along the 60th parallel of latitude, are smaller along the Arctic Circle, and smallest of all on the islands above Canada.

In the souhern hemisphere there are not as many large land masses that have hard winters. Other forces are at work. In southern Africa, for instance, the largest kudu are found in the north (Namibia, Zimbabwe, Northern Province of South Africa) while the further south you go, the smaller the bodies and horns.

JB

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great story, 338!

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I hunt a sub species of Mule Deer called the Burro Deer. They are found in the Ironwood Deserts of the american south west. Temperatures rarely reach freezing here. The climate is mild enough to grow the most tender citrus. Summers run from 105-112 plus every day for at least five months of the year. Summer nights rarely get cooler than 85 degrees.
I've taken bucks every bit as large as those found in really cold climates. I've got friends who have killed bucks that weighed well over 300 lbs. on the hoof.
In otherwords, there are exceptions to every rule, including Bergman's. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 07/27/07.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Bergman's rule is fairly accurate as a generalization. It is not guarenteed to apply to every species in every situation. It is a rule and nothing more.

There are a number of these such as Allen's rule that are equally general and yet, not absolute.

Species on mainland that are larger, on average, than 100 grams will be smaller than their island counterparts.

The reverse is true for mammals under 100 grams on mainland.

This is a rule too, not an absolute.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, to tie this thread together. Do you have to use heavier bullets in your .308 as you travel North? grin

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
No a deer is a deer is a deer.

AGW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
No a deer is a deer is a deer.

AGW

Unless of course they're one of those armor plated sambar deer... grin

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Sambar are not armour plated. They are tenacious and run after being hit then hide in streams and underbrush. No one ever said they were armour plated until you did?

AGW

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
They are extremely difficult to drop on the spot without a spine or head shot and even the major sambar authorities carry heavy rifles up to .458 loaded with 500 grain Woodleighs as they proved a little softer than equivalent Hornady's for these deer.

I'd say any deer that needs to be shot with a .458 & 500 grain Woodleighs must be armor plated.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Carefull, some of these gentlemen may cotton on to the fact that not all hunting is free range.
Regards, J Stuart

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not armour plated, wily and in very close country with a lot of country between each one.
Regards, J Stuart.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Oh you mean like elk. I guess I better sell my elk rifle and get a .458. grin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
To be honest most of us shoot with much smaller calibres, with a minimum of .277 130 gr projectile and a case minimum of 51 mm.
I personally prefer my 7x57..........but .458 really does sound impressive.
The problem is that most only get to see the arse end through the trees, so some like to hedge their bets.
Regards, J Stuart.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I was mostly just giving AGW a hard time for saying how tough those sambar were on one page and on the next saying a deer is a deer is a deer.

Elk are the same way here - big, tenacious,hard to hunt, thick cover, etc. We've got idiots shooting them in the azz with cannons too.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes, but no matter what else, you do have all those big hairy nasties(bears) and there is absolutely nothing we have that can match that.
Have you ever noticed that the gentlemen with the cannons generally do not get to do much shooting.
Regards, J Stuart.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Have you ever noticed that the gentlemen with the cannons generally do not get to do much shooting.
Regards, J Stuart.

Exactly...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
At least they enjoy themselves.

TTS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Kevin, Classic...LOL Tom

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
JS,
I already commented previously about the Aussie attitude to contained hunting and that it is largely illegal there. The culture here is very different where animals are both contained and provided for with food plots and other management tools to build up the trophy quality in order to generate higher incomes from these stock animals.

People here cannot be blamed for cirstumstances created through commerce. It is a different hunting culture and needs to be accepted for what it is.

There is plenty of free range naturally occuring trophies to be had in many states and not realistic to expect it in all states where populations are heavier and land masses small.

As to the armour plated statements, people are free to make them and we are also free to ignore or challenge them. I like challenge and welcome any questions or queries as it creates an opportunity to communicate and teach and sometimes, learn as well.

AGW

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
As you know we do have the same type of system here, it is called farming, only we do it with sheep and cattle.
I expect the dedicated hunters in the US feel as we do and prefer to hunt wild game, which is why we call ourselves hunters not killers.
Regards, J Stuart.

Ps, the armour plated comments were in jest I believe, although some would have everyone believe that sambar are indestructible, we both know they are not.

Last edited by JSTUART; 07/28/07.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 56 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,931
Posts18,498,662
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.