Print Thread
Hop To
F
Frayser Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I got a few hundred 9mm reloads from my buddy, who got them when his father died. Even if the gentleman was still alive, I’m not sure I’d trust shooting them.

I’d like to try and pull the round and reload.

Can I remove the decap pin and resize these with a live primer?

Also, any ideas on what charge to use for these? They look to be fmj and I can weigh them but don’t know when to look for safe load data.

Hoping to load up some subsonics...

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yes, you can remove the decap pin and resize the brass while leaving the primer functional.

The charge will depend on the bullet weight and seating depth. There are lots of online sources for data. I like Hodgdon, mostly because I load a lot of Hodgdon powders.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 01/07/21.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Frayser
I got a few hundred 9mm reloads from my buddy, who got them when his father died. Even if the gentleman was still alive, I’m not sure I’d trust shooting them.

Also, any ideas on what charge to use for these? They look to be fmj and I can weigh them but don’t know when to look for safe load data.

Question 1. I have done that. Take it slow.

Question 2. Safe charge depends on bullet weight and what powder you use. Myself I would use the powder in the rounds now for fertilizer unless you know exactly what it is.

Swifty
F
Frayser Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Will definitely dispose of the existing powder and use new. Is the new load going to be specific to bullet manufacturer or will any load for the same weight fmj work?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Will definitely dispose of the existing powder and use new. Is the new load going to be specific to bullet manufacturer or will any load for the same weight fmj work?

There is plenty of FMJ data out there for every weight in 9mm, and all powder manufacturers post data online. As long as you don't red-line it, or load it too weak, whatever data you use per the powder manufacturer will be fine.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Don’t know how you’re pulling but you may have to bump the bullet down with your seating did to break them loose. Depends on how long they’ve been sitting around in what. But you knew that.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Is there any particular reason that you don't trust the safety of these cartridges? I know nothing about them nor the person that loaded them. You may have good reason to suspect them to be unsafe, I don't know. Just curious. Are there any markings on the box or container they are in to indicate the bullet description, powder type and weight? Also, do you have much experience in loading ammo? No offense intended, I assure you. I am sure that all of us want to be of help to you.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
F
Frayser Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by Henryseale

Is there any particular reason that you don't trust the safety of these cartridges? I know nothing about them nor the person that loaded them. You may have good reason to suspect them to be unsafe, I don't know. Just curious. Are there any markings on the box or container they are in to indicate the bullet description, powder type and weight? Also, do you have much experience in loading ammo? No offense intended, I assure you. I am sure that all of us want to be of help to you.

I never met the guy that loaded them. I got them from my friend, who got them from his dad, who was friends with this guy. All transfers happened after my friend's dad, as well as the reloader, died. They are loose in a 50cal ammo can without any markings. I can weigh the bullets, just don't have any clue as to powder and whether the charge is safe or not.

I don't have any evidence that they were loaded unsafely, just feel better with safe vs sorry approach.

I don't take any offense to the question about how much experience I have in reloading. I've only reloaded some long rifle rounds for my 7mm08 and for my .30-06. Obviously, I don't know a great deal which is why I asked the question.

BTW, I've got a cam lock puller.

Thanks for the responses!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,791 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.