Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A while ago on here I read about testing your scopes ability to hold zero by dropping it onto a padded shooting mat and then firing it to see if it remain zeroed I thought that sounded like a good way to damage an expensive scope and wasn’t planning on doing it. But then I started thinking these big tactical scopes are super tough and it would be a good way to prove my set up could take some bumps.

At the range yesterday I dropped my scope onto my shooting pad from 12 inches on his left side and fired a shot, then on its right side and fire, then on top. The rounds landed right in the group so I tried it again from 36 inches. I was cringing while I did it and thinking wow I’m being really stupid but all three rounds stayed right in the group and I was feeling pretty happy with my rifle it’s bedding the scope mounts and scope and then I looked at my scope windage knob.

It looks like the leaning Tower of Pisa. It’s a pop-up knob on a weaver tactical 3 to 15 and it took a lot of effort to get it to pop up and then I had to push it halfway in to make adjustments. To seat it I have to strike it hard with my palm a few times.

I feel like an absolute idiot. I don’t think I should send it in when I intentionally broke it. The scope is still holding zero so I guess as long as I didn’t ruin the waterproof integrity I’ll live with it but I have ruined any resale value and will definitely not be able to make quick windage corrections by dialing anymore. When I go back to the range I will need to see if somethings bent inSide and if it will still track with the elevation knob.

I stopped without testing the other scopes :-)

And yes, I realize I should be called some dumb names. Intentionally abusing a $500 scope like that… I really don’t know what I was thinking.

Sorry for the punctuation and typos, I’m speaking into the iPad

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
nothing.....

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Curiosity gets the best of all of us sometimes but you need to listen to that voice in the back of your mind and that tingle in your guts!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I hope you don't get to wondering about your vehicle's airbags.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't think I'd have told that.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
You must never speak of this again.

Oh, and don’t worry about sending it in. Weaver is pretty much gone now and I doubt you could if you wanted.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'd never drop a scope.........

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Did you read the article about Ford Raptors with bent frames?

Ford rep investigated and found out the owners were getting airborne at 50-60mph out in the Nevada desert. Seems the owners thought that was normal off roading.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah, I knew if I shared my stupidity I’d be opening myself up to some well deserved ridicule. I should’ve listen to that voice in my head telling me not to...

I did it because. IIRc, Formidous said on here he tested scopes that way and he has given a lot of good advice over the years so I thought I’d man up and give it a try.

Now, I realize I should’ve just fought the urge a little harder!

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by IDMilton
Yeah, I knew if I shared my stupidity I’d be opening myself up to some well deserved ridicule. I should’ve listen to that voice in my head telling me not to...

I did it because. IIRc, Formidous said on here he tested scopes that way and he has given a lot of good advice over the years so I thought I’d man up and give it a try.

Now, I realize I should’ve just fought the urge a little harder!

I don't know whether I was laughing with you, or at you, but I most assuredly laughed. I'd recommend doing that kind of test on one of those scopes that has a no-fault warranty.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cue the Big Stick SWFA video 😂

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I heard you can take one of those new Leupolds and drive over them with a semi, and it'll come out of it nary a scratch...

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since Weaver has gone TU, who knows what would happen if you sent it in anyway.

I get why competitors and professionals feel the need to test scopes like that, but I’m neither, and in 50-odd years of hunting and shooting the worst I’ve ever done to a scope is to let it slide off a bench or car fender while leaning there. Have had a couple lose zero for various reasons, but no real failures, except when my crossbow winch came loose and whacked the ocular, entirely my fault, and beyond any reasonable expectation of durability.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
I don't think I'd have told that.

Yup, like the story about the guy who got all fired up at a revival and stood up and confessed to a romantic encounter with a goat......

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hit it with a hammer to bend it back straight..... jeesh not hard to figure out..... wink

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Well, you were trying to learn something - and you did.

We have all been there.

I do appreciate the fact that you are taking personal responsibility and not trying to pass it on tot he manufacturer. That speaks well for your personal integrity.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by JoeBob
You must never speak of this again.

Oh, and don’t worry about sending it in. Weaver is pretty much gone now and I doubt you could if you wanted.

Send it in. Vista will likely replace it with a comparable Bushnell.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now you have reason to buy a Nightforce.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Contact Weaver, have them give you an estimate. Pay them if it is worth repairing.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You should test your airbags....

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (300_savage, 44automag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 25 invisible), 1,479 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,209
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.