-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let's take a bolt gun and make it as complex as a lever action. Why? Everyone like Blasers don't they? Well, don't they? Anymore?

HR IC

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like it. Browning had one for awhile. Acera (?)
I doubt they intentionally introduced it to replace semi’s.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by kwg020
The replacement for semi autos ??

kwg

Could be.

There are a couple of others that are based on semi-autos:

Browning Maral - kinda like a BAR without the gas operation. Pull back, spring return.

Verney Carron has one with gas operation for ejection, and lever toggle to close the action - the action locks open when fired.

I've seen them but haven't tried either of them. Neither has spectacular accuracy for the price.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I became interested in straight pull, SP, rifles decades ago. There have actually been quite a few designs/models, but the typical story, marketed in limited quantities. The problems to overcome are several. The typical bolt action more often achieves cocking and primary extraction by the bolt in rotational leverage. Not so in straight pull and that has been one of the problems to address in successful SP rifles. Tapered cartridge cases affording the easiest extraction forces. Cocking most typically on closing action. Needing to work smoothly & efficiently without that "turn-bolt" leverage factor. I have perhaps the three most typical and also made in greatest quantity; Ross, Steyr and Swiss models. Another concern is "durability" as in ruggedness. Such for military rifle applications. It's said that the Ross was withdrawn from Canadian forces in Great War due to its inability to function in such as trench mud. It, with serrated locking lugs and receiver, achieving most svelte design perhaps, but also least well adapted to such battlefield environs. At least compared to Allied and Axis military rifles. I have a Steyr carbine in 8x50 that a half century ago as I last fired it, worked OK. I have one converted to 8x57 that won't feed properly. I have several K31 Swiss which function well. I have a few Ross commercial Model 10 rifles. Never any ammo, but they do cycle quite smoothly!
My own "half-vast" research :), some real possibilities in such action. But a weakness often in complexity and as the Ross in battle, perhaps too susceptible to debris in the action. Factually the latter Remington pump actions beginning with the post WWII Model 760, achieved perhaps the best of the "linear" functioning world. The straight pull bolt rifles suffer from the same thing as their turn-bolt brethren, in compromised ergonomics. The straight pull, certainly less impeded movement. But still 'there'. My own 760 Rem from first year .308 production in 1957, works very well. So to the jewel-like smaller Rem Models 14 and successor 141, also in my collection & featuring .35 Remington, itself a great chambering!
The new Savage sounds interesting, but I'm tentative with those who say "potentially too expensive". My prediction and hope I'm wrong... At that price point, it won't compete well and the model likely not to last. Again, hope I'm wrong. But such rifle systems haven't tended to capture much of the American marketplace! Will be interesting to see how this new Savage performs!
The footnote that some of the best-of-breed straight pull rifles were those used by the Russians in the sixties era Biathlons, But those, made specifically for such competition and hand tuned. Brief attempts at commercialization, to my understanding, didn't work out.
Just my take,
John

Last edited by iskra; 01/05/21.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I like the fact it’s ambidextrous. Maybe it will start a trend.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
No reason a straight pull can’t have a rotating bolt. Every semi-auto of note has a rotating bolt and for purposes of physics, gas operating on a bolt either directly or through a piston is the same as a straight pull. The Browning Maral sold in Europe is nothing more than a BAR with the gas system missing and a handle stuck in the bolt. For that matter, lots of straight pull ARs in England as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some videos on straight pulls. The Heym works like the Savage, more or less, and has been around a long, long time.

At this point in life, it’d be a foolish investment for me, but they sure are nice.

What fresh Hell is this?
BS2 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"However, the Impulse uses a new steel barrel extension with locknut that fits into the aluminum receiver and is secured with a tried and true four-bolt barrel clamp. Swapping barrels has never been easier and the aluminum receiver helps save on weight."

Get close and wack em hard!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5thShock
Everyone like Blasers don't they? Well, don't they?

Not all. I would take one for free to resell but that is about it.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BIG_JOE
If that bolt handle sticking out unlock in the brush?

I'd guess that the safety would lock the bolt just like any bolt action. Being a southpaw, I like the lefty conversion feature.

Last edited by Buckstopper; 01/07/21.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I just wish they could make the guns they make now eject the empties. I like the straight pull idea if it’s smooth. For target shooting you wouldn’t rock your gun sideways to eject cases. Edk

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They should but a carbon fiber barrel on it!

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by BS2
"However, the Impulse uses a new steel barrel extension with locknut that fits into the aluminum receiver and is secured with a tried and true four-bolt barrel clamp. Swapping barrels has never been easier and the aluminum receiver helps save on weight."

At almost 9lbs for most models, I'm not sure where the weight savings are...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob
No reason a straight pull can’t have a rotating bolt. Every semi-auto of note has a rotating bolt and for purposes of physics, gas operating on a bolt either directly or through a piston is the same as a straight pull. The Browning Maral sold in Europe is nothing more than a BAR with the gas system missing and a handle stuck in the bolt. For that matter, lots of straight pull ARs in England as well.

The Mini 14 in the UK is a straight pull. Since semi autos are illegal in the UK, the owners of the Mini's plugged the gas port and use the op rod handle to eject and reload simply by pulling it straight back.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It does sound heavy for an aluminum receiver rifle.
I like Savage but I won't be the first kid on my block to buy one at that price.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I would buy one if it were a pound lighter. There really is no reason or that rifle to be that heavy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5thShock
Let's take a bolt gun and make it as complex as a lever action. Why? Everyone like Blasers don't they? Well, don't they? Anymore?

Had both the R93 and the R8 and liked them both particularly the R93; in fact, loved it. It was the most accurate rifle I’ve owned. The R8 was beefed up for the big “African cartridges” so was heavier and the stock was thicker through the grip than the ‘93.

The Blasers had collets 360* around the bolt head that opened up into the 360* lug channel recess in the barrel when in battery. At face value that seems more substantial then the 6 “ball bearing” lug concept. But then there was the success of the Heym..so maybe not.

A big advantage to this was being able to have an alloy receiver and thus a much lighter weight...seems this was lost on Savage or they just didn’t care.

American gun makers, with few exceptions, other than the small custom shops, don’t seem to understand the concept of a light rifle..really light rifles.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If they would just put a normal contour barrel on it. Those barrels look like water pipes.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (7887mm08, 300_savage, 44mc, 2500HD, Amos63, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,670
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.