Hop To
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
MD,

I recently acquired a new rifle in 6.5 PRC, which wears a Proof Research barrel. I now have all the components I need to begin load development.
The issue of barrel break-in, do/don't, etc., has been debated endlessly on this forum and elsewhere on the 'net, so I am going to pose my questions directly to you.

1. If you had, or maybe have, acquired a rifle with a new PR barrel, what would your procedure be for, say, the first 50 rounds of sight-in and load development?

2. I intend to apply Dyna Bore Coat to this bore. At what point would you apply the treatment- in a brand-new bore, or down the road some number of rounds?
Your input is appreciated.

thanks.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
If you're going to install DBC, I'd do it right away, partly because it's easier to get the bore perfectly clean than after being fired some.

I'd just shoot the rifle as much as you want to, cleaning the bore when you think it might need it. Sounds like you've done DBC before, so probably know the barrel often needs cleaning after a half-dozen or so curing shots.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I DBC my new premium barrels whether they need it or not. Makes me feel better.

And, doing it early, before it gets fouled, makes the process easier.

Bore needs to be really clean, maybe cleaner than just no blue patches. I really like my Hawkeye borescope to ensure a barrel is really clean before DBC.
Sometime one hears of a DBC failure. I think the biggest problem is not getting the bore squeaky clean. And assuming what you can't see is not a confidence builder, IMO.

DF

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I’ve got 4 rifles with Proof barrels including a 28 Nosler with 700+ rounds through it. I’ve used DBC on a number rifles but would not bother with a Proof barrel. I cleaned mine 4 or 5 times during the first 40-50 shots and that was it for break-in, I’ve found my Proof barreled rifles to be some of the easiest to clean I have. My first ones were all large capacity hunting type rifles so I usually clean those around 50 rounds but they seem to exhibit very little fouling. I just got a 18” 6.5 Creedmoor with a suppressor and it’s got about 200 shots without cleaning now, I need to shoot it at paper to see if the groups have opened up.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If it were a factory barrel I'd consider DBC, on a proof research barrel...........not a chance in this life of the next !!!!!! shocked

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by boatanchor
If it were a factory barrel I'd consider DBC, on a proof research barrel...........not a chance in this life of the next !!!!!! shocked

That's the way I use DBC--only if the barrel proves it might need it. Quite a few factory barrels have not, including a Remington .223 factory barrel that refused to copper foul even when shooting 500 rounds without cleaning.

But if using DBC in every one of their barrels makes them feel good, why not?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Isn't the corrosion resistance increased with DBC?, I was under that assumption that it does so do most all factory barrels with it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
It helps, but it's not a cure-all, partly because it does wear somewhat with a lot of shooting.

When first introduced the company felt it would last for the life of the barrel, but nowadays advises that if the rifle gets shot a LOT, you might need to renew the DBC after a while. Of course, by that time the barrel itself might be starting to wear out.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always like these DBC discussions, because I’m still learning.
I’ve DBC‘s most of my rifles. At first I was only going to do it to my varmint rifles. But after I saw how much it improved cleaning effort. I’ve done most. Now my black powder rifles even have DBC treated barrels.
I have been shooting a 375 quite a bit lately. I had a bunch of junk loads with H414 and cheap factory second bullets, I’m using for fire forming and for off-hand practice. I decided to DBC the barrel. The results were a major improvement. Since I still had a bunch of those junk loads, I DBC’d a second time. I was pleasantly surprised at how much it improved it even more.
I’ve noticed a slight decrease in accuracy in some of my rifles after DBC, but the accuracy is back after maybe 20 more rounds.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It helps, but it's not a cure-all, partly because it does wear somewhat with a lot of shooting.

When first introduced the company felt it would last for the life of the barrel, but nowadays advises that if the rifle gets shot a LOT, you might need to renew the DBC after a while. Of course, by that time the barrel itself might be starting to wear out.

I treated a Cz527 chambered in 204 ruger with the factory barrel with DBC when it was new. I then proceeded to shoot the barrel out over 2 seasons of prarie dog shooting. Near as I can tell the benefits of DBC lasted right to the end.

I am such a believe in the stuff that I treat every gun with it when new.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Per the Proof barrel question. Not a Proof but rather a new carbon wrapped Bartlein in 300 WM. I did DBC it as I have for the past dozen years. Shot 50+ rounds to simply "speed" up the barrel before load development. Went to clean it after the 50+ shots and hardly got any copper out. DBC flat works!

Alan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What’s the best place to buy a new bottle of DBC?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
MidwayUSA lists it in stock.

John Steinbeck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1badf350, 160user, 1minute, 1moredeer, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,251 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,012
Posts18,500,284
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.