Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Looking for suggestions in a 22 mag in a semi automatic rifle I know CZ makes one , Any other options out there? The TC22 is only in 22 Long rifle correct? And the Ruger 1022 22 mag was discontinued because of safety reasons correct?
Not that I need one but I want one LOL open to suggestions

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
It takes a lot of finesse to design a semi to extract a long thin case with that pressure.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Marlin 922m, no longer made but you should be able to find a used one. Numrich Arms has parts if needed, I had to replace the buffer in the one I owned. Kind of a neat little rifle.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Savage A22M is another option, along with older Remington 597s, the old Kodiaks, Volquartsens, Marlin 922s, etc.

I have a CZ 512M that is a pretty nice rifle, and it shoots pretty good, too. So far, it's been 100 percent reliable,. It isn't pretty, but I've seen worse.

You have to keep them spotlessly clean in the chamber areas, so they don't rip case-heads off, if you do that, they're reasonably reliable and some can be as accurate as a good boltgun. I can't really emphasize that enough, you have to keep them CLEAN. I really like my 512M, it's light, accurate, and handy. It shoots at least as well as an RAR I had, but extracts better.
The A22M Savage has a delayed blowback design that might be the way to go, though. It seems to hold the bolt closed long enough for the pressures to back down before trying to extract the cases.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I went thru several magnums before I found the one I'm keeping.Ruger,Remington,Kodiak and Marlin (almost kept this one)passed thru my hands and then I finally got the H&K 300 and IMO hands down the most accurate of them all and the best built.15 round mags are a nice feature also.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd buy a Savage A22, if it is anything like my A17. I've shot against guys using Volquartsen 22 magnum rifles and they can be a little on the finicky side. As the op stated Ruger had issues. Volquartsen, as you know, is just a glorified Ruger 10-22 magnum. A lot of companies have tried to make a reliable and safe semi auto 22magnum, but without much success. Look into the Savage A series, you might like them. I went with the laminated stock version, as the plastic stocked A rifle looks like garbage...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My BRNO shoots pretty well. They can be hard to find.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My magnum research hasn't been anything but great.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I would like to have a Marlin 922 but haven’t seen one in a while. The HKs are the best but premium price.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I thought that the Ruger 10/22 Magnum was discontinued for two reasons, they weren't selling in sufficient numbers and Ruger was concerned that people were rebarreling them into 17HMR and associated possibility of liability litigation.

I have or have had semi-autos in .22 MAG from Kodiak, Remington, and Ruger. The Kodiak 260 was just a poor design, basically the same as the Colt Colteer. The Remington 597 works fine, but it not the most accurate of rifles, better for calling 'cats at 25 yards than anything at 100 yards. The Ruger was the best of the three, but somebody valued it a lot more than me, so it went to a new home.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Volquartsen used to make one. Not sure if they still do. I owned one years ago. Very good rifle.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve had my Kodiak since 68 no problems with it. You must keep it clean. But I’ve heard a lot of guys had problems!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dale06
Volquartsen used to make one. Not sure if they still do. I owned one years ago. Very good rifle.

Yeah, beautiful expensive rifles. A guy at the club, I shoot against in golf ball shoots, uses one. His starts acting goofy after about 100 rounds. I don't know if it's just too dirty at that point or what? Great shooters though, for a semi auto 22 mag, if you can afford one... Also, by great shooters, the one at my club puts them into 1" at 50 yards. Not excellent by any means, but not bad for a semi auto 22 magnum. I know, guys everywhere have these and shoot 1/4" groups all day long. Until its time to prove it, then its 1+" groups at 50 yards. I love shooting against guys that say their rifles put them all in the x ring all day long. Sometimes they are dumb enough to lay money down...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Model 700 H&R .22 Mag

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have shot volquartsen 22 magnum and 17 HMR for between 13 and 15 years.

Volquartsen will be the only semi-auto rim fire magnum that I will purchase, in part, because:

Accuracy has run between 1/4 to 1/2 for 17 HMR and usually around 3/4 to 1" for 22 magnum.
Fantastic customer service
Plenty of replacement parts - springs and buffers- on their website
Very high quality machined and built
Lots of options such as barrels, contours, and stocks available for them.
Reliable
High cap magazine was made by Volquartsen - 25 rounder (if you can find them now)

I used to shoot the Bruno ZKM-611 and it was a nice gun. Sold it when they got high and went to Volquartsen rifles. Barrels on them were a bit light and thin for lots of shooting. Magazines for the Bruno got very expensive too.
Looked at Magnum Research when they came out but, best I remember, they had problems, so- we took them back.

I would venture the Sturm Ruger would be ecstatic to hear the Volquartsen's are glorified Rugers as Volquartsen's are a much better built and engineered.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM

This is the way to go. They are hard to find but worth it. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Another Savage A22m vote here. The Magnum Research 22mag works as does the 10/22M. It was the 17HMR versions that had to be kept immaculate. The Savage can be run surprisingly dirty before it malfunctions, and those malfunctions will be safe.

R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I really appreciate accuracy, how accurate are the savage A22M ? I have little to no use for inaccurate rifles

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
H&K 300 bidding on gunbroker for less than 1K

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I had one of those H&K 300’s... make sure you get the scope mount with it, and a couple mags with it and your are fine.

OR you can get a Savage A22 or A17, and replace the trigger, and stock and have the same thing.. mine’s pretty accurate after I put a boyds stock on it, and I messed with the trigger and got it decent so it went well.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Rockhound
My magnum research hasn't been anything but great.

I think Magnum Research hits the sweet spot in price/performance.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a H&K 300 and it's a beauty, so much so I don't take it in the brush or keep it uncased in the SxS in the winter for a fox gun like I want.
So last week I bought a Rossi 22 mag semi auto with a 10 round magazine brand new for less than $230.
It uses a delayed action to lock the bolt for an instant after the shot before it can move, so no heavy bolt needed or heavy springs, works pretty much like a savage A22 action. This gun really shoots nice groups around an inch @ a 100yds with
Hornady 30gr V-Max, and it works every time, I love this gun it's a keeper, check it out.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

Winchester made a cheaper semi auto, maybe a model 190? been a few years.. Harrington and Richardson made a very good one as well.. They are both quite old and wouldn't be on the cool list.. keep an eye peeled, might find one at a shop on a rack.. I had one of each from the 70's thru the 90's and shot a lot of red and gray fox with them and a few coyotes.. Switched up to the Hornet when the coyotes became the likely candidate to come into the call.. Still have her in the gun safe.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RickcNY
I really appreciate accuracy, how accurate are the savage A22M ? I have little to no use for inaccurate rifles
Half inch groups at 50yards consistently using A22 magnum ammunition.

Watch a video on how to clean the A22m. This is the drawback of the Savage. You may be able to clean it as intended or you may have to remove your scope depending on your scope and rings.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I can't imagine not taking my 300 in the woods--even on the buggy--it may get banged around but its a shooting fool an it would be a shame to turn into a safe queen--oh but I did get an extra stock for it!!!!lol

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by savage2400
I can't imagine not taking my 300 in the woods--even on the buggy--it may get banged around but its a shooting fool an it would be a shame to turn into a safe queen--oh but I did get an extra stock for it!!!!lol

I have taken my 300 on rides but it don't live there. This Rossi I got will live in the SxS for whatever comes up.

And it can be taken cleaned easily, not quite as easy as a Model 300 but lots easier than some others, 20 minute job for me.
I don't see it as having any broken bolt/broken or missing extractor issues like the 10-22 mag had.

It shoots better than my 300 when it's below zero out, %100 reliable. The H&K has lots of misfires when really cold.
The 5 shot mag comes up a little short in the 300 sometimes.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
wow I've never had a misfire in my 300 but I do agree only having the 5 rnd mag detracts from the positive aspects of this rifle----you do know higher capacity mags are available right?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by savage2400
wow I've never had a misfire in my 300 but I do agree only having the 5 rd mag detracts from the positive aspects of this rifle----you do know higher capacity mags are available right?
Yes but in below zero temps? Mine is great in fall spring summer, I've shot it plenty when super cold out, at them temps it slows everything down.
A lot of my guns have problems when below zero and they sit in the SxS overnight. Common around here even with a very light oil.
I heard of a 15 rounder but never tried one. I think a 5 round is also made by some generic company.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OldRook

Winchester made a cheaper semi auto, maybe a model 190? been a few years.. Harrington and Richardson made a very good one as well.. They are both quite old and wouldn't be on the cool list.. keep an eye peeled, might find one at a shop on a rack.. I had one of each from the 70's thru the 90's and shot a lot of red and gray fox with them and a few coyotes.. Switched up to the Hornet when the coyotes became the likely candidate to come into the call.. Still have her in the gun safe.

I don't recall that Winchester ever cataloged a semi-auto in .22 MAG. They did make the lever action 255 and pump action 275 in .22 MAG back in that era, but I don't recall a semi-auto .22 MAG in their 190/290 series.

The lever actions in that series were the 150 and 250 in .22 S/L/LR and the 255 in .22 MAG
The pump actions in that series were the 270 in .22 S/L/LR and the 275 in .22 MAG
The semi-autos in that series were the 190 and 290 in .22 S/L/LR.

Winchester also made the lever and semi-auto versions of these rifles in house-brand configurations for some of the big retailers of their day.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Remington made the 597 in 22mag, sold several in it and 17hmr back in the day, can't say one ever came back. They had a gray laminate version that was good looking.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by killerv
Remington made the 597 in 22mag, sold several in it and 17hmr back in the day, can't say one ever came back. They had a gray laminate version that was good looking.

I have two of the Remington 597s with sporter weight/contour barrels and green laminated stocks in .22 MAG that have become my favorite rifles to use when I am calling 'cats in tight cover. The 597s in 17 HMR were recalled by Remington and out of the goodness of their hearts, Remington offered to compensate owners of those rifles with credits worth pennies on the dollars.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I had a 597M and like a dummy, sold it. I really regret that...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I have two of the Remington 597s with sporter weight/contour barrels and green laminated stocks in .22 MAG that have become my favorite rifles to use when I am calling 'cats in tight cover. The 597s in 17 HMR were recalled by Remington and out of the goodness of their hearts, Remington offered to compensate owners of those rifles with credits worth pennies on the dollars.

Magnum Research recalled their 17 but treated customers right by rebarreling it to 22 and paid shipping.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like my CZ 512 American, it's a good, solid 3/4" at 50 yards gun, with just about any ammo. It shoots better with the lighter weight bullets, but it ain't bad with 40s or 50s, either.

Attached Images
512American-500x333.png (33.68 KB, 342 downloads)

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I like my CZ 512 American, it's a good, solid 3/4" at 50 yards gun, with just about any ammo. It shoots better with the lighter weight bullets, but it ain't bad with 40s or 50s, either.
+1. I have the CZ512 Carbine in 22 WMR. It shoots all the Winchester and CCI ammo types well but, thus far, the A22 ammo has been the most accurate. I haven't tried any other manufacturer's ammo nor any bullet weight above 40 grains and don't plan on it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
i have a remington 597 22 mag heavy barrel with brown laminate stock have been very pleased with fit form and function super accurate with cci ammo

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JJF
+1. I have the CZ512 Carbine in 22 WMR. It shoots all the Winchester and CCI ammo types well but, thus far, the A22 ammo has been the most accurate. I haven't tried any other manufacturer's ammo nor any bullet weight above 40 grains and don't plan on it.

That A22 load is pretty good, I also have a 457 WMR barrel I plugged into a 455 action, and that's it's favorite load, too. I don't know if the bullet is tough enough for coyotes, but at least it shoots really, really well in both of my Magnums. It's as good as the 30gr. Hornady load for accuracy, which is saying quite a bit. Happily enough, I've got quite a bit of it on hand.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I own the CZ/BRNO 611 22MAG. Its a unique rifle with deep bluing and beautiful machine work. Its very accurate & dependable. Only forewarning on the 611 is dont loose the magazine. In fact if you can find a spare mag I'd suggest getting one if you can find one available just in case. Yes the extra magazine is a definite sticker shock!!!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by BladeRimfire
I own the CZ/BRNO 611 22MAG. Its a unique rifle with deep bluing and beautiful machine work. Its very accurate & dependable. Only forewarning on the 611 is dont loose the magazine. In fact if you can find a spare mag I'd suggest getting one if you can find one available just in case. Yes the extra magazine is a definite sticker shock!!!

Yep. Mine came with the six round magazine and a ten round one as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had great success with my Magnum Research Magnum Lite, and carry it most of the time that I'm at the farm.

My 597 LSHB shoots very well also, it's just heavy so it gets left at home most of the time...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 10/22 mag that had problems extracting rounds. Installed a Volquartsen edge extractor and it’s been problem free.

Though I can’t see why someone would choose a 22mag over 17hmr.

[Linked Image from ]
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I like my Magnum Research 22 mag but my savage A17 shoots so good I may look for the A22m. I threaded the A17 and it functions great so I would hope for the same results with the A22m. I looked at the Rossi’s some.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Originally Posted by EdM

This is the way to go. They are hard to find but worth it. Hasbeen

My BRNO 611 keeps them all in a 1 inch dot at 50 yards. Very hard to find, and getting pricey but I would snag another if I see one.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've shot a 7/8" group @ 175 yds. with my H&K 300. @ 75 yds. and a 12 shot continuous fire there would be 1 ragged hole. Done that many times. It can outshoot my CZ 457 Varminter. it loves the old Remington Premier and CCI TNT's. Hates Federal 40 gr. .

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smackerquacker
I threaded the A17 and it functions great so I would hope for the same results with the A22m. I looked at the Rossi’s some.

+ 1 ......I have A22 mag currently being threaded to match the A17 ....I looked at the Rossi and decided that I wouldnt gamble on it...the banana clip sticking out of it and no options for a different clip turned me off

Ask for forgiveness......instead of permission
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
find a Ray Vin 22wmr AR upper. mine shoots 1 hole at 75y so regular its boring. i have made 175 yard hits on ground squirrels. possibly the last gun i will part with.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
CZ 512.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I found it unfired in the original box

Last edited by mp44; 03/28/21.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm wanting an auto 22 mag that I can run a suppressor on and leaning hard towards a Volquartsen.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I dropped my BRNO off at my LGS/Range/Gunsmith last week for some trigger work. I picked it up today and what a difference. He removed the magazine disconnect, a bit on the hammer, cut a half coil from the spring and polished it all. Charged my $37.50.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rossi 22 mag, homely looking, no fancy wood to be concerned about dinging, and works just fine.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I own 2 Remington 597 m’s, A22 magnum, and a Marlin 922m. I honestly couldn’t tell you which one shoots the best they are all very accurate with no issues! The marlin looks and feels like a larger caliber rifle in which I like.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Mikem2
Rossi 22 mag, homely looking, no fancy wood to be concerned about dinging, and works just fine.

Mine is still riding in my SxS everyday with me and my dog. I love it. Love my H&K 300 too but would never stick it in the places this Rossi goes.
The Rossi has not missed a beat yet, Hornady 30 gr v-max seems to be the best shooter for it. My 300 shoots 40gr win inside an inch, but it's a little touchy reliability wise when it's below zero out like most thing's. My Henry 22 mag always works cold or not, it likes
just about all 40gr ammo, but is too pretty for sitting next to a muddy dog, cept maybe once in a while. I enjoy shooting the Henry a lot though.

J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by JJF
One thing I forgot to mention is how easy it is to break down the CZ 512 American or Carbine for cleaning. This to me is perhaps the biggest advantage to these rifles, after of course reliability. Being primarily a hunter, I appreciate a weapon that breaks down easily for cleaning and the CZ 512 does that. This makes cleaning much more enjoyable (at least for me). Add in the reliability and hunting accuracy (ie, not a target weapon by any means) and this is a keeper to me. The fact that half of the action is a composite material does not bother me at all, though if I shot it extensively it might over a long period of time. Either way I'll end up getting my money's worth out of it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Keltec CMR30

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Lonerider
Keltec CMR30

Don't laugh too loud, I really enjoy shooting mine. Lightweight, and very handy with the retractable stock. I run it suppressed. It is a dirty son of a gun though.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickcNY
Looking for suggestions in a 22 mag in a semi automatic rifle I know CZ makes one , Any other options out there? The TC22 is only in 22 Long rifle correct? And the Ruger 1022 22 mag was discontinued because of safety reasons correct?
Not that I need one but I want one LOL open to suggestions

Volquartsen.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1234, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,430
Posts18,470,780
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.