Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Good Morning Winchester Model 70 guru's

I come to your mountain for knowledge! smile

I just recently acquired a Winchester Model 70 with a blind magazine, and want to eventually get a new stock for it and have convert it to a floor plate. I have read that a one piece and a 2 two piece floor plate will work. So this leads to a question, if I get the 1 piece floor plate, do I omit the action screw just in front of the trigger? I have several that are 2 piece floor plate models that the middle screw is hidden by the floor plate, when I look at the 1 piece floorplates online, I do not see a place for the screw.

Maybe I am overthinking it, but it was just a question that has come to my mind.

Thanks

Rugerfan4374

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Disclaimer: Not a Guru. Also not a psychic! Without knowing more as to the specific gun, the psuedo-psychic in me suggests best maintaining nearest configuration to rifle original, whatever securing screws/pattern presently utilized. That's probably the safest answer if yet largely guesswork. Perhaps to share exactly what you have; full description including model and serial range. Such possibly for an expert to weigh in. IF the screw size & spacing are same between old & new, yet further question of magazine height

Fundamentally, you will need bottom metal with exactly the same screw holes placement. Just now, yours factory designed as appropriate, economic and convenient for the rifle presently configured. Such as your magazine depth & mag spring; possibly both its design and even trigger positioning in trigger guard. and spring may also require modification/replacement. Flying in the blind here, simply conjuring. IF you are featuring something of create opening and inlet according to new bottom metal in hand... Might not work! I suppose that's what you're here about. But experience may be slim. However, the bright side, maybe, deed done, you can be the Guru & teacher!
Best & Good Luck & Stay Safe!

Issues both of 'fitment' as well as duplicating what Winchester deemed appropriate for fasteners.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Rugerfan,
In answer to your question; yes. Simply omit the screw.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thank you

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
AK, are you the guy who offered the "edited & condensed" version of the "USAF Operations Manual". Simplified to... Insert both keys, turn simultaneously. Either Officer shall then press the "Big Red Button". Duty Accomplished and... Good bye!
smile smile smile
If your answer sufficient, adding my thanks too and reiterating to O/P.... Good luck!
Best & Stay Safe!
John

Last edited by iskra; 01/13/21.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
This will probably be of interest to about seven people on this board, but I just ran across an old thread while looking for something else that has some discussion of one piece versus two piece bottom metal. It also talks about the third screw. Some very knowledgeable (and missed) contributors to this ancient thread. If anyone is looking for a rabbit hole on a lazy Sunday afternoon, here you go...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1096854/2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (44mc, 1eyedmule, 160user, 3333vl, 2UP, 308ld, 14 invisible), 1,544 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.