Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Tyrone Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
With Mozilla's CEO calling for "more than deplatforming" of not only Trump, but ALL Conservatives ( https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2021/01/08/we-need-more-than-deplatforming/ ), it is past time to switch from Firefox to some other browser, like Brave.

This is the same group of people that ousted their former CEO, Brendan Eich, just for supporting real family and standing up against sodomy. ( https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybr...dan-eich-crossed-a-line/?sh=4e1d04666f8a )

I suggest Brave because not only is it a decent browser with some nice security features, but it is also headed up by - guess who? Brendan Eich!

F U CK Mozilla!

Politics is War by Other Means

Tyrone Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
When you uninstall Firefox, you are given a chance to tell them why. Make sure you do.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I just downloaded and installed it. Still getting set up.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
phug. Them too huh?

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What about TOR?

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
How do you switch to brave?

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Tyrone Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
How do you switch to brave?
https://brave.com/download/

Tyrone Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
What about TOR?
Brave includes a TOR browser plugin.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Tyrone
With Mozilla's CEO calling for "more than deplatforming" of not only Trump, but ALL Conservatives ( https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2021/01/08/we-need-more-than-deplatforming/ ), it is past time to switch from Firefox to some other browser, like Brave.

This is the same group of people that ousted their former CEO, Brendan Eich, just for supporting real family and standing up against sodomy. ( https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybr...dan-eich-crossed-a-line/?sh=4e1d04666f8a )

I suggest Brave because not only is it a decent browser with some nice security features, but it is also headed up by - guess who? Brendan Eich!

F U CK Mozilla!
I wonder how fast Google will get it either shut down or bankrupt?

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just installed Brave. Very easy.

Thanks, JakeBlues and Tyrone.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redneck
I wonder how fast Google will get it either shut down or bankrupt?

I doubt they care.

Brave seems to be a fair alternative for some, they are the new kid on the block and not without their down side.

I've used Opera since the mid 90's, it was a "tab" browser before there were tab browsers.
Opera was the hacker's choice browser in the day, it's always had a built in ad blocker and VPN.
I've stuck with Opera just because they have kept up with the times. They were quick to produce a mobile version when the demand called for it so my phone browser is just like my PC.

Plenty of browser options out there, read up on them and choose what suits you best.

C&P from Brave Reviews

CON Hypocritical/deceptive stance on privacy and advertisement
Brave is advertised as a browser that respects your privacy and blocks ads while still supporting content creators. However, at the same time the company is making deals with Facebook, Twitter and others to whitelist their trackers and ads.

CON Same security-holes as Chrome
On the desktop: Brave uses the same browser engine as Chrome, meaning it has the same security-holes as Chrome. Chrome is a big target for hackers (being the most popular browser in the world), and a webpage that will hack Chrome may also hack Brave.

However, Brave has security features that Chrome doesn't (such as a built-in adblocker). Those features will stop many hacking attempts.

CON Power hungry, uses much more battery power than other browsers
Per default Brave enables hardware acceleration which results in a much higher energy (battery) consumption than the most other web browsers.

CON Dumbed down in the latest versions
In previous versions, Brave felt more like Firefox. Now it's been dumbed down, it feels more like Chrome/Chromium. For example: There's no menu-bar.

CON Sync issues
Unable to sync extensions, no cloud sync (only device sync).

CON Download package is very large considering it as a browser
Brave takes on a lot of roles besides just browsing so it is understandably a larger file.

CON Still dependent on Google
Since it's based on Chrome.

CON The iPhone version has some odd behavior
On reopening Brave, it often returns you to the "search results" page, rather than the webpage you had previously browsed to from the search results page. Might just be a specific configuration.

CON No reader view
Can be accessed with an extension though.

CON Uses Google as its default search engine
Quite ironic for the "privacy" browser.

CON Bookmark button located on the left side of the URL bar and can't be moved.

‐‐-----------

PRO Takes care of privacy and security
Takes privacy seriously by blocking ads and trackers and not tracking people's searches. Things like https everywhere and no tracking are standard with Brave. In most other browsers, things like these are optional at best.

PRO Free/libre software
Released to the community under the Mozilla Public License (MPL), this software respect the FSF's four freedoms, including the freedom to use, modify, and redistribute with or without modification freely.

PRO Built-in adblocking
Other apps make it difficult to block ads without rooting your phone or going through unoptimized add-on stores, but Link Bubble blocks them out of the box, making browsing much less crowded. Contains an optional "Allow Brave Acceptable Ads" So you can support the site you truly enjoy.

PRO Option to disable additional privacy concerns
Like fingerprint tracking.

PRO Option to pay supported sites based on view time percentage
Set up automatic micro-donations. Brave will automatically divide a monthly donation among the top sites you visit.

And/or, you can decide which sites get what percentage of your donation. It’s called pinning.

PRO Tor is available right in the browser
PRO Optional feature for you to get reimbursed for viewing ads
Basic Attention Token; you can decide to opt into a new blockchain-based digital advertising system, giving publishers a better deal and users a share of the ad revenue for their attention.

PRO Very fast
The fastest browser out there.

PRO Now supports Chrome Webstore
It's now a faster, less intrusive Chrome.

PRO Faster than Google Chrome
Brave consistently beats Chrome in speed, might have to do with less tracking being run in the background.

PRO Built-in torrent client
PRO Developed by creator of Mozilla and Javascript
PRO Sync is now available

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Brave's been around for a while. I've been using it for at least a year. It does have 1 problem: it doesn't work with all websites. I've tried to order stuff online and it will stop working on some sites. Some online forms won't work right. Sometimes it will screw up with a search on a site. It's very similar to Chrome but not exactly the same. Occasionally I have to open Chrome to get a site to work.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Tyrone Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Brave's been around for a while. I've been using it for at least a year. It does have 1 problem: it doesn't work with all websites. I've tried to order stuff online and it will stop working on some sites. Some online forms won't work right. Sometimes it will screw up with a search on a site. It's very similar to Chrome but not exactly the same. Occasionally I have to open Chrome to get a site to work.
I think a lot of that is due to security features. Something to investigate.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I run Linux Mint on a desktop, so power consumption isn't a problem. However, since Mint does not support the SNAP package manager, Brave is more difficult to install on Mint. (You have to use Terminal commands, which they helpfully have listed on their webpage. If you run Linux and go to their site, you are automatically taken to the "Brave for Linux" sub-pages.) If you run Feren Linux, Brave is one of eight browsers that come pre-installed.

I powered up my Linux testing laptop which is currently running Zorin. I was able to install Brave via SNAP and found that it runs RoboForm as an extension - a MUST for me. I was able to import my Firefox bookmarks and such, and am now typing this on Brave. The built-in ad blocker works even here on the 'Fire, btw.

I'll putz around a bit on this machine and Brave today. If I find no serious issues, I'll add Brave to my desk machine

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I run Linux Mint on a desktop, so power consumption isn't a problem. However, since Mint does not support the SNAP package manager, Brave is more difficult to install on Mint. (You have to use Terminal commands, which they helpfully have listed on their webpage. If you run Linux and go to their site, you are automatically taken to the "Brave for Linux" sub-pages.) If you run Feren Linux, Brave is one of eight browsers that come pre-installed.

I powered up my Linux testing laptop which is currently running Zorin. I was able to install Brave via SNAP and found that it runs RoboForm as an extension - a MUST for me. I was able to import my Firefox bookmarks and such, and am now typing this on Brave. The built-in ad blocker works even here on the 'Fire, btw.

I'll putz around a bit on this machine and Brave today. If I find no serious issues, I'll add Brave to my desk machine

Huh? I'm getting too old to learn yet another language. My Mandarin, Swahili, and Navaho classes keep me too busy as it is. I do know what linux is, anyway. It's that wild cat that looks kinda like a bobcat.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Tyrone it works great for me.

If you are not America first you are america last. Be loud and proud America first.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry, RC. That post would be perfectly clear to anyone running Linux as their operating system. (Which a man as smart as you are could manage without breaking sweat.)

RoboForm is the #1 rated password manager and form filler-outer. It is SO good that it is one of the two programs I consider "musts" on any computer. There are versions for most browsers as extensions/add-ons, including Brave.

BTW, if Brave doesn't suit you, you might look into the Vivaldi browser. Also touted as fast, secure, private, and runs most Chrome extensions like RoboForm.

Last edited by RockyRaab; 01/11/21.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There's another issue with Brave - it has a habit of opening new windows. I'll have a half dozen tabs open and will be happily reading the Fire then realize that the Fire is open on a different window. All the rest of the tabs will still be open on the 1st window but the Fire will have moved.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dissenter is another browser alternative. I think Brave may be deceptive about who they really are.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only one solution - boycott everything! crazy

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 51 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,277
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.