Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RSY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
From everything I have ever read on the this bullet, this is actually one of Sierra's toughest bullets. That is possibly counterintuitive to some due to the fact that having a hollowpoint tip is part of its design. In some cases, people tend to want to lump it in with varmint bullets, rightly or wrongly.

Case and point, I have a box of Federal V-SHOK .243 Win. 85-grain Sierra Gameking HPBT. Federal catalog number P243D. The visual "code" for intended use on the end of the box is a prairie dog, i.e. varmint. Oddly, I have seen the same Federal load, with the same catalog number, but with a visual "code" of a whitetail deer on the box end, suggesting big/medium game as the appropriate use.

Odd bit of confusion there from Federal.

FWIW, I use this load as a whitetail bullet.

Scott

Last edited by RSY; 01/11/21.
HR IC

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've used the 55 grainer out of a 22-250 on a few antelope.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
They have a thick jacket and a hard core. They also have a crap ballistic coefficient, so they aren't a long-range bullet in any regard. They are barely a medium-range bullet.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I used them for years up until about 5 years ago. The last batch of 3,000 I bought must have been soft. After years of reliable devastation out of .30/06 I started getting bullet blowups causing me to lose or nearly lose several deer. Not just randomly but every single time. I will admit they were reliably accurate, though. The remnants of that batch is saved for the .308 sig 716 with a much lower velocity.

At one with the gun.

RSY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BadHabit
I used them for years up until about 5 years ago. The last batch of 3,000 I bought must have been soft. After years of reliable devastation out of .30/06 I started getting bullet blowups causing me to lose or nearly lose several deer. Not just randomly but every single time.

Interesting. Maybe Sierra changed the construction at some point which would necessitate a change in recommended use. But one would expect Federal would at least change the catalog number for that load, in that case.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a few boxes of the 165 .30s. Load them for a couple of my 30/06s. They’re accurate as all get out but man do they wreck some stuff when they hit. Through the slats they’re outstanding, but don’t put one in a shoulder you plan on saving.

RSY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheKid
They’re accurate as all get out but man do they wreck some stuff when they hit. Through the slats they’re outstanding, but don’t put one in a shoulder you plan on saving.

More so than a Ballistic Tip or SST, you think?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RSY
They’re accurate as all get out but man do they wreck some stuff when they hit. Through the slats they’re outstanding, but don’t put one in a shoulder you plan on saving.

IME, they open up a bit more than Ballistic tips, closer to a SST.

I used to call em Grenade Kings, lols!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Last game animal I shot with a Game King was an antelope in New Mexico. Bullet was the .270 150 gr. Game King. The shot was at about 75 yards and the bullet hit right at the short ribs passing through the "goat" and exiting behind the right shoulder. Bullet nicked the stomach but very little came out. Other than a broken rib and about a 1.5" exit hole, very little meat damage.

One of my elk hunting buddies used that same bullet on two cow elk. One at slightly less than 100 yards left about the three inch exit and the other was a bit over 400 yards. I'd gone home early on that hunt feeling rather crappy. Turned out I had pneumonia. talked with my buddy later and he said the bullet worked just fine. His elk mentioned were taken on two different hunts.

I did use that bullet on a couple of Mule Deer back in the mid 70's but don't remember much other than the deer died.

I do remember shooting one coyote back then with the .30 caliber 165 gr. Game King hollow point. The coyote was a target of opportunity while moving to s different location to hunt in the afternoon. Shot was maybe 200 yards and the coyote went down. I went over to see the result and found I had a two piece coyote. Best opinion I can come up with was the bullet hit the spine and blew up. I decided to not use it on deer.
Paul B.

Last edited by PJGunner; 01/11/21.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Use "heavy for cartridge" pills and they work just fine.. You guys getting explosive hits or "wrecking meat" are using too light of a bullet.. I thought everyone knew that chidt..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't believe Sierra's advertising. Guys in my hunting camp won't use them on Whitetails any more, that includes me. Too, many wounded deer and follow up shots. They are very accurate, though. That is why we started using them in our 250 Savage and .257 Roberts rifles.

.25 CALIBER 90 GR. HPBT

The 90 grain #1615 Hollow Point Boat Tail bullet was designed originally as a varmint bullet, but it has taken on an expanded role. This bullet is extremely accurate at all velocity levels, making it suitable for the entire range of 25 caliber cartridges. It will perform as a varmint bullet at high velocities, but it may also be used on medium game from smaller-capacity cartridges, such as the 250-3000 Savage and 257 Roberts.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My go-to bullet for every 243 I've had, 10 or so, has been the Sierra 85 grain HPBT. Now, when I say go-to, it is the bullet I try first to see how well the rifle will shoot............and I've yet to find a 243 that shoot it accurately. My son, and the grandkids have taken a number of whitetails with this bullet. In the 700 Youth Model that the grandkids use, I've started loading 95 SST's or Nosler BT's the past few years, just because I wanted to try something differently. My son has stayed with the Sierra 85's.

I'm not going to question anyone else's comments about how they don't like this bullet, because to each his own. I don't think there is a better all around bullet for a 243, and I've taken a bunch of coyotes with it, so it's well for us on deer and varmints. My standard load is 45.5 grains of W760, chronographing 3350 out of a 22 inch barrel.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RSY

Definitely more destruction than the 165 Btip IME. SSTs I’m not sure as I’ve never used any.

I’m not saying I won’t keep using them, they perform well enough always giving exits for me so far. But they’re usually 2 to 3 inch exits with a lot of bloody jello around the wound.

My uncle dobbed a bull caribou with one out of my 721 he borrowed for the trip. Shot was perfect behind the shoulder from 389yds, bull immediately hit the deck. Even at that range the entire side of ribs on the entry side were a jellified bloody wreck.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a few boxes of the 165 .30s. Load them for a couple of my 30/06s. They’re accurate as all get out but man do they wreck some stuff when they hit. Through the slats they’re outstanding, but don’t put one in a shoulder you plan on saving.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Use "heavy for cartridge" pills and they work just fine.. You guys getting explosive hits or "wrecking meat" are using too light of a bullet.. I thought everyone knew that chidt..

Or are intentionally shooting thru shoulders to minimize tracking and don't mind ruining shoulders. I have even ruined a dab of loin from too high of a hit.

Either have no bloodshot meat and a tracking job or ruin 5# of so-so meat and have no tracking job.

Some ruined meat is part of the game if you are going to hunt the thick schitt I prefer.

I have even put Core-Lokts and Power Points through shoulders, same results as a Gameking/Prohunter, bloodshot shoulders that the chickens get to peck around on. All other cup n core bullets generally result in the same messed up meat if ran through the shoulders.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 01/11/21.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
WEL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Sierra great target bullets. Hunting not so much. The thing I hate is many of their bullets have different tendencies. Too soft, too hard etc. At least with a Nosler you know what your getting ie ballistic tip versus accubond.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I believe they are too explosive and there are far better bullets for deer hunting. Johnny’s Reloading bench shot them into gel against other bullets and they came apart badly.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Or are intentionally shooting thru shoulders to minimize tracking and don't mind ruining shoulders. I have even ruined a dab of loin from too high of a hit.

Either have no bloodshot meat and a tracking job or ruin 5# of so-so meat and have no tracking job.

Some ruined meat is part of the game if you are going to hunt the thick schitt I prefer.

I have even put Core-Lokts and Power Points through shoulders, same results as a Gameking/Prohunter, bloodshot shoulders that the chickens get to peck around on. All other cup n core bullets generally result in the same messed up meat if ran through the shoulders.

I think BSA's in nice open country, Nebraska or Eastern Oregon,

You are in the thick part of Missouri.

I find it interesting how different hunting conditions change people attitudes, tactics, and the trade offs they make while hunting.

We've had good luck with the 165's out of an '06, but we are hunting open country, where tracking is not an issue an a "close" shot is 250 yards.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 01/13/21.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RSY

Definitely more destruction than the 165 Btip IME. SSTs I’m not sure as I’ve never used any.

I’m not saying I won’t keep using them, they perform well enough always giving exits for me so far. But they’re usually 2 to 3 inch exits with a lot of bloody jello around the wound.

My uncle dobbed a bull caribou with one out of my 721 he borrowed for the trip. Shot was perfect behind the shoulder from 389yds, bull immediately hit the deck. Even at that range the entire side of ribs on the entry side were a jellified bloody wreck.

Sounds effective to me.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I think BSA's in nice open country, Nebraska or Eastern Oregon,

You are in the thick part of Missouri.

I find it interesting how different hunting conditions change people attitudes, tactics, and the trade offs they make while hunting.

We've had good luck with the 165's out of an '06, but we are hunting open country, where tracking is not an issue an a "close" shot is 250 yards.

Very true how areas hunted make us think differently.

If I hunted open areas I wouldn't mind one bit if an animal traveled a little ways after the shot.

Even in the brush a good blood trail is no issue but I am unable to be guaranteed a heavy trail on every shot.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bingo. Mind the venues in which guys are using them in.

Years ago I had a few very dramatic DRT's and lots of ruined meat when employing 165 BTHP's out of a .30-06. All kills well under 100 yards in Pennsylvania and Maryland woods. I loved the bullet for its accuracy (and still do), but was flummoxed by its utter destructiveness so I called Sierra. The technician I talked to kind of laughed and said he probably fielded more such questions about .30 165 BTHP's than anything else. He told me the bullets were designed for optimal expansion at long range where velocity has dropped off substantially not up close and personal. Since then I started concocting special '06 loads for use when I know for an absolute fact I won't be shooting at any deer way to hell and gone away, and life was good again.

My solution: Sierra 165 BTHP, 41.0 grains H-4895, Lake City or FA Match brass - around 2400fps. Low recoil is an enjoyable unintended consequence, case life is infinite, and lo and behold accuracy is as good as with stiff loads. Every 7 or 8 cartridges yields one "free" cartridge due to the six less grains of powder as used in my "standard" load - a not inconsequential consideration in this day and age of powder shortages. Results: deer as dead as before but with little or no meat loss. Win/win. God bless the versatility of the .30-06.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/14/21.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (264mag, 280Ackleyrized, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 18 invisible), 1,831 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,059
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.