Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just curious, have any of the denizens of the Campfire ever competed in the Wimbledon Cup Match?

I know the course of fire is 20 rounds any rifle, any sight @ 1000 yards. Is this shot prone and do they allow the use of bipods/rests or do you use a sling only?

HBB

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The last time I was there you shot prone and had to hit the tennis balls in flight between players. It may both the shooting and the playing of tennis more interesting.

Now if you believe this I have some ocean front property on the moon to sell you. laugh laugh laugh

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
HBB,

I have shot it, and no I did not win. wink I was shooting with a friend who had won it though.

The basic rules were as you say, and it was prone and slings in those days (1983).

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The last time I was there you shot prone and had to hit the tennis balls in flight between players. It may both the shooting and the playing of tennis more interesting.

Well, which did you hit more of: tennis balls or tennis players? grin

Do you get extra points if you get one of each with a single shot?

HBB

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"ve shot a LOT at Perry, but never had enough time to stay for long range after CMP and NRA weeks.... Its in my future though. The shoot off part of it will be fun, my only issue is I love iron sights so much and IIRC the iron sight part of that match is fired at the same time so I may never be able to compete.

Perry has winds that are much easier than many places and that makes it fun to shoot at!

I"ve met and talked with some of the winners over the years though.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HunterJim
HBB,

I have shot it, and no I did not win. wink I was shooting with a friend who had won it though.

The basic rules were as you say, and it was prone and slings in those days (1983).

jim

Well where did you finish Jim? Top 10 Top 20?

HBB

Last edited by hillbillybear; 07/26/07.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, since we're all a bunch of hopeless Rifle Loonies what are the specs on a WCM rifle?

HBB

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I love iron sights so much and IIRC the iron sight part of that match is fired at the same time so I may never be able to compete.

1,000 yards with open sights...my eyesight is so bad I'd do good to see the backstop at that distance. grin

HBB

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Oh, what are the requirements to enter the WCM? Do you have to compete in X number of rifle matches , belong to certain organization, etc. Or is it open entry for a fee type match.

HBB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never had the opportunity, but have always wanted to do competitive shooting.

Tennis does get boring...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ShootingLady

SL,

You should give the Comp. Shooting a whirl. A lady has won the Wimbledon Cup at least twice in the the last few years.

HBB

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

HBB

I was having a tough day that day and was hitting players mostly but they are good for three points much like the long shots in round ball.

I did if I could line the players up like PD's but it's tough to do. Oh, did you mean the balls? No problem! Two balls at a time. Oh, we are talking different balls. grin

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

It's fun but expensive. I did pistol competition shooting in the service and even with the gov picking up a lot of the tab it was expensive.

If the bug bits you plan on divorcing your husband and selling the kids and grandkids. It's addictive. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

SL,

You should give the Comp. Shooting a whirl. A lady has won the Wimbledon Cup at least twice in the the last few years.

HBB

I will one day, but I need more hands-on shooting practice first.

Just being cute will only get a gal so far in competition...look at Anna Kournikova...she only came in 4th I think. grin

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Just being cute will only get a gal so far in competition...look at Anna Kournikova...she only came in 4th I think. grin

Yeah, but she looked great doing it grin

HBB

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by derby_dude

HBB

I was having a tough day that day and was hitting players mostly but they are good for three points much like the long shots in round ball.

I did if I could line the players up like PD's but it's tough to do. Oh, did you mean the balls? No problem! Two balls at a time. Oh, we are talking different balls. grin

grin grin

HBB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495

Perry has winds that are much easier than many places and that makes it fun to shoot at!

You really are sick, right Jeff. crazy Fun?

This year's pistol had some real fun winds to contend with ... howling along 30-40 mph during 45 was a 'challenge' to say the least. wink Shot terrible for what I know I can but then so did everyone else, so in the end placed OK relatively speaking. Zins even dropped points ... but still won easily. Even so, I'll be heading back next year. Once you get a taste of the place it's hard to not keep going back.

BTW, word is the huts are going by the wayside in 2010 to make room for motels. Didn't hear if they were going the route of mods or something bigger. Shame, since the huts are part of the whole Perry experience.

Back on topic ... never have shot Wimbledon Cup but maybe someday will get around to doing so.

B.I.C.
'tikka
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd rather shoot a Perry wind than anywhere else, given that there will be winds. Because they generally are not variable too bad. You might put a lot on the rifle(note I did not say pistol) but it'll generally be stable. I"ve shot a number of cleans at 600 there and they are pretty easy, the ones I"ve muffed lately had been me generally and then my last one was a bad barrel.... Bad wind is shooting at 600 prone, shooting an X, correcting 2-5 minutes, shooting another X, coming back the other way, etc... having to hold up and so on, and miss a change? Thats generally a 5 or miss.... At Perry I can generally time my string just about right to shoot in an increasing wind with the AR15 service rifle, and generally speaking dump all the rounds down pretty quick with a combo of wind reading and a tiny bit of spotter chasing and as long as I don't screw up, its gonna be a 100 or 200....

Since wind is even to everyone generally speaking it doesn't bother me in the least and immediately mentally knocks out a number of my competitors. Wind is my friend.

Other questions about Perry. You have to be over 14 or a signed statement IIRC. You have to be an NRA member in those matches. You pay your fee and you shoot. No qualifications required.

Rifle for Wimbleton match.. Whats called a match rifle by NRA standards. Optic sight allowed. Safe trigger. 338 cal or under. No muzzle brakes. Some dimensions to be met. Support is allowed jacket and sling only. No rests. The rest of the info is minor technical stuff but basically a good bolt gun, with a scope and prone position style shooting. Last I was there in 2003 the hot round still seemed to be 6.5x284... others do well also.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW I liked the huts. Don't care for the barracks, but lately it had been such a damn hassle, we stayed at the motel right out the gates back to the east. Had a yearly reserved room for some time.

IF I start going again, hopefully next year, it'll only be for a few days as a team member and probably in the barracks or floor of someones room....

Still need 10 pistol points too.... but I shouldn't be greedy, I"ve only shot 3 leg pistol matches and those about 1-2 years apart cold turkey and managed 20 points. I can probably get the other 10 if I just get my own pistol and actually practice a bit... Rapid fire can kill me.

Perry does get in ones blood bad

Jeff

Shooting Lady-- don't listen to them about divorces and such.... My wife Carolyn simply started shooting Perry with me, and she is a Master class, distinguished rifle shot and one of our good team shooters in the day...

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Other questions about Perry. You have to be over 14 or a signed statement IIRC. You have to be an NRA member in those matches. You pay your fee and you shoot. No qualifications required.

Rifle for Wimbleton match.. Whats called a match rifle by NRA standards. Optic sight allowed. Safe trigger. 338 cal or under. No muzzle brakes. Some dimensions to be met. Support is allowed jacket and sling only. No rests. The rest of the info is minor technical stuff but basically a good bolt gun, with a scope and prone position style shooting. Last I was there in 2003 the hot round still seemed to be 6.5x284... others do well also.

Thanks for the info..just what I need another expensive hobby. grin

HBB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

436 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 39 invisible), 1,917 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,635
Posts18,493,138
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.