Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
kingston,

The 110-grain 6mm Hornady A-Tip.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

That is the thread# for the Magnetospeed mounts that MD and Dirtfarmer made. If someone smarter than I am can turn it into a link it is currently on page 4 of Ask the Gunwriters Under Magneto Speed Mounts?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I don't shoot at public ranges anymore, and one of the reasons is the chronograph use. Another reason was all the accidents and injuries. Nothing like showing up at the range and seeing a big splotch of blood next to one of the benches. Every time I went. I took my oldest brother to a range for his first time, and he was hit by a steel-core ricochet in the scalp, which split it pretty good. He bled like a stuck pig. That was the last time I went to a range.

Thank you for your well-wishes, Steve!

He recovered physically, but he was scarred by the experience (I was too). He hasn't been to a range since then, either. That was about a decade ago. He lives in an area that doesn't have any other options for shooting without a lot of travel. He's recently been convinced to join a private range, since he has a co-worker who belongs to one, and thus an "in". With all the unrest going on down here in the US, and particularly where he lives, he recently got a CC license, a handgun, and a PCC.

Thread hijack over.

You're welcome. Can't say as I blame your brother at all for staying away. Scares like that can affect you more than most people know or understand. I hope he joins that new club and works through everything.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tejano,

Thanks. I just reposted the photo of my set-up here.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well I own a chronograph that has not been mentioned here and can be found in abundance in E-bay for less than $100. It will be for sale at the next gun show cheap! I almost shot it today thinking that it would make me feel better.
My range is at the edge of my yard so I don't have to worry about other shooters. I have been thinking about "magnetospeed or labradar" also. I don't have to worry about the maximum velocity issue with Labradar, I rarely shoot anything faster than 3,500 fps. But I do shoot 20 and 17's. I too bring multiple rifles out to test when the weather allows it, but not often pistols and rifles.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had the ProChrono, Magnetospeed, and Labradar.

I gave the first two away.

Importantly, they all gave the same velocity ranges on the same loads. So, they're all apparently fairly accurate.

The Labbradar doesn't catch every round, especially with the smaller boat tail ones, but catches more than 50% for me. Sometimes just re-angling it works.

With the Labradar, you have to change settings between Archery, Handgun, and Rifle, which is not an issue for me. It takes a second or two to do. It takes a lot longer to reattach a Magnetospeed to a new barrel, and you have to play around with which type and number of pads keep it just the right distance from the muzzle, which is a bit of a PITA to me. Plus, the Magnetospeed changes the point of impact, which means you're wasting rounds because you can't chrono and sight-in with the same rounds. With the Labradar, you can do both at the same time. Much, much more convenient. The ProChrono was reliable, but you have to shoot through it 15 feet away, which makes it completely useless at 90% of ranges. For me, the LR is, by far, the best choice.

The LR occasionally, but rarely, picks up a round from the next lane, but that's easy to see as an error, and you just hit the trash-can button. It happened once during an 80 minute sessions a few days ago.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I shot the 115gr UW loads out of my 10mm, they didn't register on the LR. I had to switch it to rifle mode, and then it worked.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't have anything smaller than 6.5mm, and the ease of use makes me like the Labradar more and more. It can be fiddly aiming, but setup right it works every time. Take the card out put it in the computer and I get an Excel spreadsheet with everything one might want to know. Much better than the ShootingChrony that I had before.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Marinehawk,

Apparently you've missed the posts, both from me and others, about how the Magnetospeed doesn't have to be attached to the barrel. And the cost of the solutions added to the MS still adds up to a lot less money spent than on a Labradar, especially when factoring in battery life or a rechargeable pack. A MS will run for a year or more on one battery.

My LabRadar "caught" ZERO 6mm A-Tips--while it was registering several other bullets. Tried tweaking the angle, and it still never caught any--while shooting up too many rounds that cost around $1 apiece--handloaded. Luckily had my $100 ProChrono along, so was able to obtain the data with it.

As I noted earlier, if the LabRadar folks ever solve those sorts of problems I'll but another. But even aside from the initial price, it cost me too much time and money.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Marinehawk,

Apparently you've missed the posts, both from me and others, about how the Magnetospeed doesn't have to be attached to the barrel. And the cost of the solutions added to the MS still adds up to a lot less money spent than on a Labradar, especially when factoring in battery life or a rechargeable pack. A MS will run for a year or more on one battery.

My LabRadar "caught" ZERO 6mm A-Tips--while it was registering several other bullets. Tried tweaking the angle, and it still never caught any--while shooting up too many rounds that cost around $1 apiece--handloaded. Luckily had my $100 ProChrono along, so was able to obtain the data with it.

As I noted earlier, if the LabRadar folks ever solve those sorts of problems I'll but another. But even aside from the initial price, it cost me too much time and money.

No I read everything. Just giving my perspective. I haven't used it on rifle bullets smaller than 6.5mm. So, I didn't, and have, no comment on that. I didn't completely understand your setup with the front rest, but I'm sure it works well. I just have a 6"-9" bipod on mine when at the range and rest the rear in a bag that I move forward or rearward to get the correct elevation. I don't mind putting in six new AA batteries every range session or two. It's less $ than a single round of the ammo I shoot. Just my preference. I don't like having to set up the MS on different contour barrels, and it won't work at all on my DW Bruin or G40 or most of my handguns at all, unless I'm missing something. My brother has the PC and MS now.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Also, I often bring two different rifles to each range session. I don't often bring more, as the range is fairly close to home. I often will shoot one or two 3-shot groups through each rifle, and then switch to let that one cool down. I didn't like having to un-attach and reattach the MS each time I did that, including shifting the number or type of pads to make it just the right distance from the muzzle, and again, I assume from your front-rest version, it still changes the POI, because it's supposed to be near the bullet path. That was a deal breaker for me with the MS, you can either chrono or sight in, but never both at the same time. Lots of wasted rounds. If I was focusing on 6mm and smaller, I might want the MS.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, my front-rest version of the MS does not change the POI. Neither has the set-up of anybody else I've talked to.

Why would it?

I generally bring 3-6 rifles to any range session.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You've obviously never seen pics of MD's setup, or Dirtfarmer's either which is similar. If you have you'd immediately understand that these setups in now way, fashion, or form impact POI. Also, changing the MS to another rifle with a different contour takes a whole 30 seconds maybe, and you don't have to dicker with the pads every time if it's set up right. I can count the missed readings from the MS over 3 years on one hand.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Labradar.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
No, my front-rest version of the MS does not change the POI. Neither has the set-up of anybody else I've talked to.

Why would it?

I generally bring 3-6 rifles to any range session.

I'm completely ignorant of the setup in that respect.

The MS says something like that the bullet's outer diameter should be passing 1/4" to 1/8" of the MS surface. Is that the case with the new setup? If so, I'm just curious how it would change the POI less than being mounted to the barrel?

I don't bring more than two rifles because, without being able to predict, given the unpredictable amount of traffic, I might be timed out, and carrying two cased rifles, chrono, ammo, rests, etc. ... pretty much maxes me out.

When I've got my young reinforcements with me, sometimes that helps:

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have both Magneto Speed and Labradar. I use the Labradar almost exclusively, but if It doesn't read I switch to MS. I took an old Hoppes orange colored front rest and mounted the MS to it so I don't have to mount it to the barrel. I never have to go in front of the benches.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I currently have a Oehler M35 and LabRadar. I have not unlimbered the M35 since 2019. The LR is convenient to set up and I can shoot from prone while chronographing--something I often do because I have a piece of BLM ground within 10 minutes of my house.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My only complaint with the Labradar is it's a bit bitchy to set up/point. That and as john mentioned it doesnt work well ornate all with 22 caliber and smaller cartridges.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Getting the JKL recoil trigger transformed the reliability of my Labradar. I just need to concentrate on alignment to target and can place the unit anywhere convenient - really helps setup. The shooting lanes at my range are very tight. Also no more false readings from other lanes. I just mount the recoil trigger on a QD sling swivel and its real quick to transfer to other rifles.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I initially had trouble triggering my LR, and mistakenly thought it was not picking up the bullet. But the problem turned out I had it too far from the muzzle and not centered with the muzzle. Once I figured that part out aiming the the thing is easy. I originally taped a straw in the v-notch and all that, but soon figured out there was no need.

I had hoped to set the LR between tables and alternately record my son's shots and mine, but with the unit centered between tables apparently the rifles are not close enough. I've never had somebody else's rifle at an adjacent table trigger my unit.

My LR picks up shots from my 223 and 22-250,, but they are not "severe" boat tails.

Once I got the LR figured out, I ran simultaneously with my M35 for several range sessions with multiple rifles each time. Adjusting the M35 velocities for distance from muzzle, recorded velocities were within single digits most of the time, and out of almost 200 shots I had two that were 30-40fps different. Years ago I tested my M35 against a friend's M35 and had basically the same results.

The LR is the sixth chrono I've owned since the early 80's, and it's my fav so far. I still consider the M35 the gold standard, and will probably keep it.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 47 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,078
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.