R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Nice one!

Found it in Homestead of all places.

I paid $400 or $450. Can't remember exactly.

From that cat I told ya about ?????

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Why would you purposely take a bolt gun to a fight?

The U.S. Army recognized the value of the auto-loader in combat during WW1 via the Pedersen Device and that was over 100 years ago.

If I'm going to a gun fight that I can plan for, I hope to have an AR and a lot of loaded 30-round magazines in my kit.

The thought experiment assumes you have no other choice. So, the apocalypse happened. You're unarmed. You find an abandoned farm house, and inside there's an extensive collection of bolt guns, along with appropriate ammo. Which one?

In that scenario, you pick the most accurate rifle, which means a Remington or a Savage. Hopefully, they have a Remington. It's not like you're gonna impress the enemy with novel bullshit.

My opinion the Remington and Savage unless significantly modified are much less capable than a Mauser, Springfield or Mosin. I mean if all you are going to get caught up in is sniping and running then maybe but otherwise the stock SA Remington is a pain to quickly load the stock magazine, the older staggered magazine Savages much better than the centerfeeds. There is usually more to it than sniping and running. Beyond that saying the average Remington is significantly more accurate than anything else and enough to make a difference is ludicrous.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Huntingnut
I f I HAD to pick a bolt gun to fight with it would probably be a Ruger Gunsite carbine. Realistically it wouldn't matter much, using a bolt gun in a real fight would most likely result in your death.

Civilians taking up arms against government forces is assuredly a quick route to suicide no matter the weapon of choice.

Firing upon modern liberals will rapidly result in conflict with government forces

So you are choosing servitude over freedom? And you live in Idaho? You seem to miss the point entirely. What percentage of government forces are going to engage civilians they may be related to? You realize that by sheer mass in this country armed citizens represent an impressive force.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
“Strike hard who cares - shoot straight who can,
The odds are on the cheaper man"

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Nice one!

Found it in Homestead of all places.

I paid $400 or $450. Can't remember exactly.

You stole it.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Huntingnut
I f I HAD to pick a bolt gun to fight with it would probably be a Ruger Gunsite carbine. Realistically it wouldn't matter much, using a bolt gun in a real fight would most likely result in your death.

Civilians taking up arms against government forces is assuredly a quick route to suicide no matter the weapon of choice.

Firing upon modern liberals will rapidly result in conflict with government forces

So you are choosing servitude over freedom? And you live in Idaho? You seem to miss the point entirely. What percentage of government forces are going to engage civilians they may be related to? You realize that by sheer mass in this country armed citizens represent an impressive force.

Which was the idea behind the Second Amendment. I.e., no national army could stand up to any significant percentage of an armed populous. See, e.g., Federalist No. 46.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Any bolt gun you can shoot .556 in?

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

My opinion the Remington and Savage unless significantly modified are much less capable than a Mauser, Springfield or Mosin. I mean if all you are going to get caught up in is sniping and running then maybe but otherwise the stock SA Remington is a pain to quickly load the stock magazine, the older staggered magazine Savages much better than the centerfeeds. There is usually more to it than sniping and running. Beyond that saying the average Remington is significantly more accurate than anything else and enough to make a difference is ludicrous.

You can single-load a Remington by dropping one in the open action and closing the bolt. Any rifle that doesn't REQUIRE magazine-feeding would be my preference.

That said, in this hypothetical fight, a bolt rifle is only going to be a component in an effective battle plan, as the bolt gun will work best to engage those with semi-autos BEFORE they can effectively engage. Seems to me that a scoped hunting rifle would work best to engage distant targets from a high place, or from cover, the same way that rifles were used effectively in the other major wars on this continent against muskets. And just like fighting against a bunch of men with muskets, a few guys with semi-autos can throw a lot of bullets out there, but not necessarily have significant effect against a distant single target.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The krag sucked as a military service rifle and we paid for it in the Spanish American War and the Boxer Rebellion is China. Glacially slow reloading process..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
As someone suggested, fast reloading is important.

1. 03A3 Springfield. It has a clip slot.

2. Krag carbine from 1892. I believe the feds don’t even classify pre 1900 stuff as firearms.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My only experience is on the square range, across the course 2,3 and 600yd NRA/national match with a R700 clip slotted in a homemade ugly adjustable stock. Open match sights.
I managed to make HM with it. Losing HM but I did get the card.
The bolt handle didn't even fall off.
I did get thrashed regularly by another shooter using a Tikka action with mags. He could probably win with a cork gun though.
Not to mention the 18yr old eagle eye with what was the service rifle back then, cleaning the 200 & 300yd lines.
Never had one of those 6x6 ft targets shoot back though. I'd probably pick something else if that was the case.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The Germans used a hunting rifle.

The Americans used a target rifle.

The British used a war rifle.

BINGO
friend of mine in austria sniper in arm y.
also shoots hi power.
in the land of mausers they prefer the enfield, or the 1917 springfield.
as to accuracy i have a heavily reworked p14 that will shoot sub moa all day long.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
The krag sucked as a military service rifle and we paid for it in the Spanish American War and the Boxer Rebellion is China. Glacially slow reloading process..

Ever own one? Much faster than 700s, model 70s, or other modern bolt actions. But clip fed rifles were faster.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
What is a 'deflave' anyway?

...and what happened to Clark. I miss that guy.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Assuming you have the ammo for it, Schmidt-Rubin K31. Far quicker cycling than a standard bolt action and an effective cartridge out to sufficient distances to be used at long range.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Remington40x
Assuming you have the ammo for it, Schmidt-Rubin K31. Far quicker cycling than a standard bolt action and an effective cartridge out to sufficient distances to be used at long range.

Yep, in theory. But never actually battle proven.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
With all this chest thumping about whos' platform is best it appears there needs to be a friendly competition with said firestick to prove it.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

BINGO
friend of mine in austria sniper in arm y.
also shoots hi power.
in the land of mausers they prefer the enfield, or the 1917 springfield.
as to accuracy i have a heavily reworked p14 that will shoot sub moa all day long.

How did you come up with that bullschit?

actually, he stole that. been around for years.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

You can single-load a Remington by dropping one in the open action and closing the bolt. Any rifle that doesn't REQUIRE magazine-feeding would be my preference.

You can chuck a single rnd into crf Mausers and Springfields just as easy as a remmy, done it many times.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Back in the day of cheap surplus ammo, I put about 2k of surplus Yugo 8mm down range in the space of a summer. I got pretty proficient with a Mauser. Still, if forced to choose a bolt, I would choose an SMLE.

In the dirt of the trenches and in the days of unreliable and inconsistent brass, the camming action of the cock on opening Mauser was arguably superior as far as reliability went. By WW II, brass was better and conditions weren’t so continually awful as they had been in the first war and the SMLE would have been the better choice.

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (1_deuce, 444Matt, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 10 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,295
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.