Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Who has protected rights in this country? How did corporations get protected rights the same as a person? Where in the US constitution or bill of rights does it say any person who is physically in this country reguardless of legal status recieve the full rights provided by the Constitution of The United States.

Bullwnkl.

Last edited by Bullwnkl; 07/26/07.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
bull -

is this a rhetorical question, or have you never read the constitution?

fascinating document.....

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
In general . . . . .

The Consitition (1787) limits government.

Only the Bill of Rights (1789 + further amendments) grants rights.

Most of the early language was drafted before immigration laws and merely refers to "the People".

At the time that meant White Males Over the Age of 21.

It has sincce been expanded to include women persons who are not "white."

If you have a more specific question, I could try to get a more specific answer.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Bullwinkle, First comment would be that the Constitution isn't the guarantor of any citizen's right.

It enumerates the rights and places limitations on what the government's powers are, but the rights it covers are considered INHERENT for all men( and women) who live in this country.

There was no INS or citizenship requirement then, other than living here..but I do get the gist of your question..:) Jim

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
According to the preamble evryone. Read it with an open mind and no preconseptions of what it means, but remember the english language has changed some meanings in two hundred years.

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
So how is this a rhetorical question, there is an answer to how we got into the posistion we are in....perhaps you need to open up a dictionary before you respond using words of which you do not understanding the meaning.

Rhetorical Question, A question asked only for rhetorical effect, no answer being expected.

Bullwnkl.

Business as usual
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Bullwnkl
So how is this a rhetorical question, there is an answer to how we got into the posistion we are in....perhaps you need to open up a dictionary before you respond using words of which you do not understanding the meaning.

Rhetorical Question, A question asked only for rhetorical effect, no answer being expected.

Bullwnkl.

i know what "rhetorical question" means, bull; no need to get your panties in a wad. blush

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
You know what a rhetorical question is then how is my question rhetorical? Perhaps there is a better term. now I will unwad my panties if you can answer my question. They are a bit uncomfortable this way. cry

Bullwnkl.

Business as usual
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
i imagine uncomfortable is an understatement! been there myself a few times.

what i meant when i asked the question was whether you expected an answer of if you were asking the question to make a point. either way is fine with me; i was just looking for a clarification.

as for the constitution itself, it truly is a beautiful work of art, in my opinion. even with its so-called flaws and anachronisms it is completely and sometimes surprisingly relevant in today's USA! smile

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jim in Oregon

It enumerates the rights and places limitations on what the government's powers are, but the rights it covers are considered INHERENT for all men( and women) who live in this country.

Yes. In other words, it recognizes the inherent rights we are born with. According to the founding fathers, government can only recognize or deny rights--it can't grant rights we are already born with......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CaballoLoco
as for the constitution itself, it truly is a beautiful work of art, in my opinion. even with its so-called flaws and anachronisms it is completely and sometimes surprisingly relevant in today's USA! smile

Very relevant....sometimes uncomfortably relevant for those who want to reinterpret it without amending it..........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Who has protected rights in this country?

"The People"

How did corporations get protected rights the same as a person?
The Courts decided corporations were "People".

Where in the US constitution or bill of rights does it say any person who is physically in this country reguardless of legal status recieve the full rights provided by the Constitution of The United States.

Ask the Courts, they're the ones who decided anyone born in the USA is an American citizen........It wasn't so until the Courts said it.......

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Literate land-owning white males 25 or older who are native born...and we might disqualify some of those, too. smirk Its all there in my Revised Constitution of The Unites States of AMERICA. laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Who has protected rights in this country?

"The People"

The Courts decided corporations were "People".

Where in the US constitution or bill of rights does it say any person who is physically in this country reguardless of legal status recieve the full rights provided by the Constitution of The United States.

Ask the Courts, they're the ones who decided anyone born in the USA is an American citizen........It wasn't so until the Courts said it.......

I agree and would expand that somewhat to specify:

"We the people of the United States"

Non-inclusive of every mother's son on the earth. Just plain old.....

"We the people of the United States"

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Some provisions of the constitution refer to "citizens" and others refer to "people," so different rights apply differently.

In United States v. Verdugo-Urquidez, 494 U.S. 259 (1990), the Supreme Court said that usage in various parts of the Constitution

suggests that "the people" protected by the Fourth Amendment, and by the First and Second Amendments, and to whom rights and powers are reserved in the Ninth and Tenth Amendments, refers to a class of persons who are part of a national community or who have otherwise developed sufficient connection with this country to be considered part of that community.

Also remember that the Bill of Rights didn't create rights--it protected rights that were either God-given or already existed under English common law. This is very important re. the Second Amendment, for instance.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How did we get back on this one? John has it right, we don't "qualify" for rights "under the Constitution," we were born with them. The Constitution only guarantees that they will not be taken away. As much as white suburbanites would like, the Constitution can't be rewritten to suit our personal biases, even though the same issues didn't exist when the founding fathers wrote the document.

I don't think I have this argument in me anymore, fellers.

Mule
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Muleskinner
How did we get back on this one? John has it right, we don't "qualify" for rights "under the Constitution," we were born with them. The Constitution only guarantees that they will not be taken away. As much as white suburbanites would like, the Constitution can't be rewritten to suit our personal biases, even though the same issues didn't exist when the founding fathers wrote the document.

I don't think I have this argument in me anymore, fellers.

Exactly.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Railroad, 118 U.S. 394 (1886). Via dicta of a sidebar discussion from the bench, a bought-and-paid-for U.S. SCOTUS (yeah, they were.... check your REAL history) decided that, without deciding the issue through case law, that they'd see corporations as people. After that, the case was cited, as needed, to do the same.

So, in fact, there is nowhere in the Constitution, or any concrete law that affirms a corporation as a persona ficta (fictious person).

Bullwnkl.

Anywhere it says "person" or "people" instead of "citizen". There's your basis, and your answer.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
OK I am done should have worded the question differently but I did get my answer, panties now unbunched.

Bullwnkl.

Business as usual

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,138 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,033
Posts18,481,900
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.