Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Armednfree
That looks like an Irish Contract rifle. I had two I paid $160 for. Bought them in 1994, sold them in 2017. $1250 each. Never fired, still in the wrappers with cosmoline.

I gave my Irish contract No 4 Mk II to my nephew, he loves the heck out of it.

Actually the one I really miss is a 1943 BSA-made No 4, west on the outside but a clean bore and a low-number bolt head (1??). IIRC it had the wartime expedient two ring rear sight rather than the graduated ladder and might have been the one with two groove rifling I forget. It shot well,

I traded it off for the Irish contract one, a once in a lifetime opportunity for a brand new Enfield.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
The mad minute videos are flat stupid.

And not realistic.

I got off that guy’s videos that the average Tommy was expected to achieve fifteen aimed rounds per minute.

It would be interesting to note how that compared to German and US standards during he same time frame.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by deflave
The mad minute videos are flat stupid.

And not realistic.

I got off that guy’s videos that the average Tommy was expected to achieve fifteen aimed rounds per minute.

It would be interesting to note how that compared to German and US standards during he same time frame.

The proof is out there and on video...for those who want to SEE.

As to the Irish Enfield, I got 900 for it about 5 years ago

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It would be more interesting to know if hey ever used that method to any useful effect.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Time for some anglophiles or Canuckians to chime in here..but I think, volley fire was part of Brit military tactics until 1918. I'm sure it was used to good effect, I read a translation of a German officer circa WWI, and in at least one assault the Germans thought the Brits had batteries of machine guns, "so we revised our plans and returned to our trenches". Volley sights were on many LE's from that era. In reality, after Dunkirk, the Brits were woefully short on MG's, having left a few behind apparently. Maybe more than a few.
That said, I believe the world record with a bolt rifle, Sauer, 5 round mags,remains with the Norwegians, 2019 Inge Hvitas put 39 out of 44 in 60 seconds, into the standard 6.9 moa target at 200m. 2nd place fired an astonishing 48 rds but only 38 hits. I am pretty sure the Brits have never come close. For one thing they used a 7.64 moa target.
Practical use, probably not much, but they are great riflemen.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by RufusG

It would be more interesting to know if hey ever used that method to any useful effect.

Have you ever read a thing about the early days of World War I?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by RufusG

Have you ever read a thing about the early days of World War I?

Never heard of it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Time for some anglophiles or Canuckians to chime in here..but I think, volley fire was part of Brit military tactics until 1918. I'm sure it was used to good effect, I read a translation of a German officer circa WWI, and in at least one assault the Germans thought the Brits had batteries of machine guns, "so we revised our plans and returned to our trenches". Volley sights were on many LE's from that era. In reality, after Dunkirk, the Brits were woefully short on MG's, having left a few behind apparently. Maybe more than a few.
That said, I believe the world record with a bolt rifle, Sauer, 5 round mags,remains with the Norwegians, 2019 Inge Hvitas put 39 out of 44 in 60 seconds, into the standard 6.9 moa target at 200m. 2nd place fired an astonishing 48 rds but only 38 hits. I am pretty sure the Brits have never come close. For one thing they used a 7.64 moa target.
Practical use, probably not much, but they are great riflemen.

That is certainly impressive, do you have a source and is that Sauer a military rifle?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Jorge, I am kind of hooked on any number of Youtube video's on the subject, but I'm so computer stupid I can't make links...but just about anything with "Stangskyting" in the search box will take you to the vids. The Sauers used are target models, currently produced and commonly available in EU. I'm sure they are highly tuned and polished. Not too many years ago they were using Norwegian Krags, with a loading device called the 'hurtiglader' (quick loader) and the 60 seconds began with the shooter in the standing position with the rifle butt on the ground. Few if any of the vids are in english language.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

185 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 30Gibbs, 264mag, 24 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,367
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.