Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Blu,
Everyone has a philosphy on handguns used in Alaska. It's a big, vast state full of all sorts of folks.

Hunters, hikers, fisherman, guides, commercial fisherman, outfitters, tactical douches, mushers, gang members, Bush pilots, trappers, artists,etc.

Hell, we even have an athabascan rapper, named Samuel John! I dont know what the fk he wraps, maybe Christmas presents?

Anyhow, many of these personalities are packin handgun heat. In my bush travels, I see a lotta different types n choices.

My brother, that crazy fkn Indian, he recently snuck up on a 6 point white tail buck in the fog, by kayak. He popped that buck with his sub compact glock 9 mil. Guy is 6 ft 5 inches tall. It's kinda silly, he cant even get more n two fingers on the grip. He's got massive bear paws. I wont begrudge him on that lil glock, he loves the fkn thing!

Though he's not an Alaskan, my point is, he had it with him because it's handy.

Talk to an APD cop or ah Trooper, they'll tell yah where some Mountain view prostitutes will hide a beretta tomcat or 25 cap. Um, thats ah little too "handy" aye? Hope the cop didn't "handle" it after the search. Covid-19 would be the least of his worries.

I've carried many ah 44 magnum. Though effective, do not discount those handy trail guns like compact 357 mag or a glock 29 10 mm.

When the hiking gets hard, they'll never way yah down.

I'm a little different than most handguners, and have different needs:

Bear protection aside, winter moose are my biggest problem. Ask ANY experienced musher, they'll tell you what it's like to have 1000 lbs of grumpy dumb, come stomp the fk outta the dogs, thinking they are wolves. I can't use heavy hardcast, it could over penetrate and kill a dog. Not happening.

Swift A-frames in both the ladies 10mm and my 357 mag. If you keep the stock spring on the glock 10 mm, it'll digest light duty fmj, that won't damage small game,. The stock spring still works fine if you're not going after that hot loaded, 220 grain hard cast madness.

My handgun must do double duty as a small game getter. I don't own a rimfire. I can only afford a single handgun. I eat beaver on my moose hunts. So fmj's at lower velocity put away at least 200-300 lbs of beaver, grouse, ptarmigan and hare every year.

Running a heavy dog sled up a hill to help the dogs, can't do that with a chubby 44. An sp 101 357 or glock 29 10mm is ideal. With heavy winter parkas like the Northern Outfitters and Apocolypse design out of Fairbanks,, there is only one place for that gun: Front parka pocket.

Little guns like the sp101 and the glock 29 won't way yah down on those steep hikes.

Anyhow, I'm a buffoon of a man,

But dont discount handy compacts. Theyll do everything well. You wont notice it, till you need it.

No name-dropping here: "this guide carries this kinda bullsht".

Just speaking for myself, my experiences, and what works perfectly well for me.

Outstanding post, thanks.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by 10Glock
I'm a new member here. I've never hunted Alaska and don't presume to know anything about hunting Alaska. Nonetheless, I've found this thread immensely interesting. Thanks for that.

I do spend a lot of time in bear country where I live, both in my truck, but mainly on foot. We have black bears, a high density of them, with some going up to 700 lbs and very occasionally more. I am a [very] amateur wildlife photographer and have had some very close encounters with black bears. I've both surprised bears and been surprised by them, two of them in the 500-600 lb range. Only one has ever been even remotely aggressive, slapping it's paws and snapping its jaws at me. Mostly, they hold their ground until I go the other way. Every once in awhile I'll meet one on a trail and it's me that has to move. I hope I never have an encounter that goes south, but that possibility exists, I guess. We did have a local lady apparently eaten by the bears that she liked to feed near her home some years ago.

When I set off on foot, I carry a Glock 20 10mm and occasionally a Glock 29 with an extended magazine and X Grip. It's usually loaded with 200 gr Hornady HPs. And I sometimes carry a .357 Magnum, either a GP100 or an 8-shot Redhawk loaded with 180gr Buffalo Bores. Either, I think, would be effective against either the kinds of bears I'd encounter, or the more dangerous poachers that sometimes roam the same woods.

Anyways, keep up the good discussion. Even though I don't live in Alaska nor have hunted there, I find this forum immensely interesting.

Just a few of my bears...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WXMUcZ8iPmbU7gmm6

What counties 10Glock? We regularly duck hunt in Pamlico and Beaufort around Goose Creek Island/Bay River. I've seen them out in fields often but luckily have never had a run-in while duck hunting in the marsh. I'm not too confident a load a steel #2s is sufficient enough deterrant from a 500+lb bear. Cool pics, thanks for sharing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Somebody oughtta market this emphatuation with bear defense.

Maybe call it outdoor life magazine or some sht.

laughing!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Originally Posted by 10Glock
I'm a new member here. I've never hunted Alaska and don't presume to know anything about hunting Alaska. Nonetheless, I've found this thread immensely interesting. Thanks for that.

I do spend a lot of time in bear country where I live, both in my truck, but mainly on foot. We have black bears, a high density of them, with some going up to 700 lbs and very occasionally more. I am a [very] amateur wildlife photographer and have had some very close encounters with black bears. I've both surprised bears and been surprised by them, two of them in the 500-600 lb range. Only one has ever been even remotely aggressive, slapping it's paws and snapping its jaws at me. Mostly, they hold their ground until I go the other way. Every once in awhile I'll meet one on a trail and it's me that has to move. I hope I never have an encounter that goes south, but that possibility exists, I guess. We did have a local lady apparently eaten by the bears that she liked to feed near her home some years ago.

When I set off on foot, I carry a Glock 20 10mm and occasionally a Glock 29 with an extended magazine and X Grip. It's usually loaded with 200 gr Hornady HPs. And I sometimes carry a .357 Magnum, either a GP100 or an 8-shot Redhawk loaded with 180gr Buffalo Bores. Either, I think, would be effective against either the kinds of bears I'd encounter, or the more dangerous poachers that sometimes roam the same woods.

Anyways, keep up the good discussion. Even though I don't live in Alaska nor have hunted there, I find this forum immensely interesting.

Just a few of my bears...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WXMUcZ8iPmbU7gmm6

What counties 10Glock? We regularly duck hunt in Pamlico and Beaufort around Goose Creek Island/Bay River. I've seen them out in fields often but luckily have never had a run-in while duck hunting in the marsh. I'm not too confident a load a steel #2s is sufficient enough deterrant from a 500+lb bear. Cool pics, thanks for sharing.

Here is a fairly recent account of a far bigger bear up close and personal.

https://www.gunandgame.com/threads/portage-alaska-bear-attack-while-duck-hunting.129553/

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad

Usually Dare and Tyrell. I'm mainly out looking for reptiles, alligators and such. But come across a lot of bears.

Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Here is a fairly recent account of a far bigger bear up close and personal.

That's a s**t-load of bear right there. I've never had any bear come up to me. But I walked up on one that was soaking in a water filled flood-control ditch in 90+ degree weather. Didn't even know it was there until I was about 15-20 feet away. He went up the bank on the other side of the ditch and awaited my departure.

https://i.imgur.com/7JRPJli.jpg

But Alaska bears are scary, one of the things that fascinates me about the place. And one of the reasons your particular forum is so much fun to read.

Last edited by 10Glock; 01/08/21.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
That ol’ boy just don’t look happy!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My dad used to hunt bears a fair amount (3-5 times over a decade period) with a gentleman he became good friends with on some other hunt somewhere else.... his pal carried a single action .22. My dad always told the story of when he asked his pal why in the hell he bothered with a .22 as bear back up..... at which point his pal said the .22 was for him and not the bear if the bear got ahold of him!

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Benbo
My dad used to hunt bears a fair amount (3-5 times over a decade period) with a gentleman he became good friends with on some other hunt somewhere else.... his pal carried a single action .22. My dad always told the story of when he asked his pal why in the hell he bothered with a .22 as bear back up..... at which point his pal said the .22 was for him and not the bear if the bear got ahold of him!

Wow! Thats a good one!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

That's a real knee slapper!

I have never heard that before! Tell us another..

Around here we love it when out of state hunters come to the local cafe and tell us the joke about the city slicker who shoots the ranchers horse then argues, to the point that the rancher finally gives up and just asks if he can get his saddle off the city slicker's trophy elk. Great joke. Every year.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Most of you Cheechako’s (late to the campfire game) won’t get the reference:
Are we looking at the next “Match King thread” or will this looser die of natural causes?
😉

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ironbender

Wow! Thats a good one!

Hey! Tell that one about filing off the front sight!! 🤣🤣🤣

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That is exactly the one I was thinking about...

First time I have heard that one too.

Every. Time.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
These are usually the same people who recommend buckshot for bear defense. Or even better, alternating foster slugs with buckshot for bear defense. Classic.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
This one time, at Band camp _____

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just put an extra cartridge in ones magazine.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pabucktail
These are usually the same people who recommend buckshot for bear defense. Or even better, alternating foster slugs with buckshot for bear defense. Classic.

For shotgun bear defense, I alternate birdshot (to put their eyes out); buckshot (so I don’t miss); then a slug for penetration; and then a flamethrower round: https://www.firequest.com/G12-013.html (gotta watch the end of the video to understand why).

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
For bear defense I ride a unicorn (to surprise them) and carry a sword (to cut their heads off).

Edit to add: I also rely on my ninja skills.

Last edited by pabucktail; 01/13/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The end of that 12 ga flame-thrower round video made me laugh so hard that my fiance came into the room and asked what was so funny.

L
L
Know a few guys who have stopped bear charges with a game load of light birdshot (both 20 and 12 ga.). May not be the best choice in the world but it worked. Point being the best bear defense gun is the one you have in your hands when things take a turn for the worse. Anything in your hands is better than nothing when you need it.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
99.9% of the time I just have my rifle.. But their are no brown bears in unit 13 in the alphabets😁.. Hell only pistol we had on kodiak this past fall was my buddies 22 pistol he brought to shoot fox’s with..

According to the campfire trust I probably should be dead..

Last edited by 79S; 01/13/21.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.