-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Raider, I hit you last summer on advice, I had one lined up and my therapy accoms fell through due to covid.

The radio electro ablation has done very well for me in the interim. I climbed trees and ladders all this fall with minimal interruption from pain.

Saddlesore wont benefit from this though cause he has me on the precious safe space ignore feature.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
10-4 slum......I'm glad you're doing better.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Have it looked at. I had a torn cartilage in my left knee forty years ago. Surgery before they did arthroscopic. Did well for ten years. Less well for another eight or nine. 2001 got the left one scoped. 2002 the right one. "OK" for about five years. 2007 had issues. Doc who scoped them said he couldn't go in again. Had no cartilage on the inside of either knee. Went to the replacement doc. He said I wasn't symptomatic enough but I'd be back when it was time. 2009 was back and had the left replaced. Three days before Thanksgiving in 2009 had the right one replaced. Right one is still good. A year ago tomorrow was back in for the plastic to be replaced on the left knee. It is a lot better, but don't anticipate it going but a few more years. Once you have issues, it is just a matter of time before something needs to be done.

35 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by JeffyD
I've had both of mine replaced in the past two years. Make that your absolute last option.

I've heard enough about knee replacements. I don't want that unless absolutely necessary.

Thinking I might have to get used to wearing a brace on my bad one.

The only good thing about a knee replacement is sharing your xray with all of you women friends smile

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
lol

Classic

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most likely a ligament that goes "pop" just like popping your knuckle. Without swelling, you probably didn't hurt anything, but if you can get your insurance to spring for an MRI, that isn't a bad idea to have a look at it. I got clipped real badly playing football and likely tore my meniscus, but didn't get it checked out. Five years ago deer hunting with a too heavy a pack my right knee went over. It swelled up really badly and getting back to the truck was a chore. Partially torn ACL and when the doc fixed it he said that the old torn meniscus pieces were wearing on the good parts and he had to take out a bunch of the meniscus. Don't let that happen to you. The doc said that a new knee would probably be in my future. You just have so many miles left in your knees. Be smart about how you are using them up. I'd sure think that by now, someone would have come up with a synthetic or cadaver replacement for a meniscus.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
My left knee hurts on the inside most all the time. Not bad enough to let them cut on me.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Redneck
I've had both of mine replaced in the past two years. Make that your absolute last option.
Why? A few others around here have had it done and it was mostly a piece of cake.. What happened with yours?

Best decision I ever made regarding my knees. Wish I'd done it sooner.

Said everyone after a TKA!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Without swelling, it may just be a rolling tendon or ligament.

My advice, FWIW:
Start with RICE- -
Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

If in a week it still hurts, get seen.

Luck.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Bristoe: Why are you seeking medical advice from people you don't even know? Don't they have doctors in Kentucky?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You probably need some remedial orthoscopic cleaning up of old scar tissue & possibly some parts of the meniscus floating around.

My son is an ortho PA that does ton of surgeries...............it's done regularly on people that have had previous surgeries several years ago.

MM

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Redneck
Why? A few others around here have had it done and it was mostly a piece of cake.. What happened with yours?

Best decision I ever made regarding my knees. Wish I'd done it sooner.

Same here, JG, for the right knee. Left one responds well to the occasional cortisone shot.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You know it when it's time, huh Old Toot?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
Kamala Harris
lol

Carpet burns on her knees.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've heard enough about knee replacements. I don't want that unless absolutely necessary.

Like anything else, it depends on where you get the work done, and your expectations. My second replacement was three years ago, July 20th., November 22 I shot my bull elk in the Crazies in Montana after climbing a "cow face" as the guide put it, I worked for that elk and worked harder to get there.

Rehab is a bitch, but less painful than 8 years under Obama...

Had mine done at Southern Joint Replacement center at Centennial in Nashville, the only good thing about that crap hole city, except the Nephrology Division at Vanderbilt.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Bristoe: Why are you seeking medical advice from people you don't even know? Don't they have doctors in Kentucky?

Just hearing other's experiences. If I had wiped out and crashed my knee I wouldn't be so perplexed,..but all I did is stand up. Besides, whatever it is,... it is. I'm going to give it a few days before I do the doctor routine.

I appreciate everyone's replies.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
You probably need some remedial orthoscopic cleaning up of old scar tissue & possibly some parts of the meniscus floating around.

My son is an ortho PA that does ton of surgeries...............it's done regularly on people that have had previous surgeries several years ago.

MM

That makes sense. I can walk on it with very little pain,...just kind of peg leg along with it,..and I can sit with it bent with very little pain.

But the transition from bent to straight or from straight to bent is fairly painful.

The knee doesn't feel wobbly like it would if a tendon was torn. It just hurts when I either fold or extend it.

I'm hoping it's just some type of strain. I'll know in a few days, I guess.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Had my left one replaced 4 years ago and I waited about 5 years too long. You will get to the point where you start to depend on others for small things like a glass of water cause it hurts to much to get up. I too heard the horror stories but bit the bullet and went for it. Do as much pre-therapy as you can stand to build muscle tone. First 3 days kinda sucked cause of the pain meds but after that it was just a nuisance. Start taking stool softeners now. Afterwards hit the PT with a vengeance. Best decision I ever made cause it made me mobile again.

Wish I had those last three years to do over with my old bird dog Jake and a new knee.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I've been installing floors since I was 14, 43 yrs and I have seldom used knee pads, by the grace of God I've never had knee problems

So what is your contribution to the OP's issue?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
George Floyd knew a little something about knees....so ask paul

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (16penny, 405winash, 35, Amos63, Akhutr, 12 invisible), 1,585 guests, and 765 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,651
Posts18,512,647
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.