Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
B,

Find a GOOD sports med orthopedist and have a thorough functional knee exam. He’ll likely want an MRI of your knee as a recurrent me is also tear is a real possibility to rule out.

BTW, although knee replacement is not a first line therapeutic option, when it’s needed and done by a HIGH-VOLUME joint replacement orthopedic surgeon and TEAM, results are very good and durable. Rehab is a lot of work starting before surgery, and you’ll hear horror stories, but when surgery is done well, as in life in general, it’s back to your everyday activities.

Hope you get good news and can heal on your own.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Had something very similar happen back in the Spring out of the blue just standing up. Took about three weeks to be able to walk on it. Hit it hard with ice then heat several times a day. My ortho guy couldn't see anything on MRI that could have been causing it. He told me the ice -heat thing and said to take these. It worked. I cut way back on the bourbon also.

Tumeric+Curcumin

Solgar Choline-Inositol tablets

Last edited by dimecovers5; 01/13/21.
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Thanks. I'll look into it.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Found some kind of horse pill ratholed in the medicine cabinet from back when I had a molar pulled.

It's taken the edge off a bit.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My wife had a knee replaced, doc said it was not that bad looking when he went in. Come to find he did knees only and the bigger problem was the hip. So much for referrals from trysted family doctors.
Her symptoms were different, but I since always say to get the hips and back checked too.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
With any surgery, it should be your last option.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have had both knees replaced. I am 72. Waited to long for first replacement. Hurt so bad I had to miss hunting season 5 years ago. Had second knee replaced in June 2020. I was walking without a walker next day. Do a lot of exercises before surgery to strengthen knee muscles. Physical therapy was a little rough for a couple weeks. But I was ready for hunting season 4 months later. Don’t wait to long

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had both knees replaced in 2015 --7 weeks apart. Best decision I ever made, My knees felt so much better after the operation that the therapy was a piece of cake.
The therapy I had for the second knee overlapped the therapy for the first knee. I had 24 therapy sessions total at two a week and when they were done I decided they would never get as good as I thought so I started walking/hiking out in the hills. That was the ticket! A friend and I (also had one new knee) ended up hiking 900 miles in 3 1/2 years. Just counting hikinging only. I was 70 yrs old and he was a year younger.
In June I fell real hard and broke a hip. That was a piece of cake compared to the knees as far as healing goes, and I am now back walking with my wife several miles a week which isn't much, but it helps her get in shape and it keeps the peace around the house.
I don't know if all orthopedists work the same, but the hospital I was in started therapy within several hours of the operation. Now that was a pain, but I was only there for two nights.
During my weekly walks I was probably in better shape than anytime in my life. I didn't lose a pound either and I was (am) overweight.----still.

I agree with ADNA that you don't want to wait too long to get those knees working. Hiking where you hunt or on unused country roads is what we did. Started at sunrise and if it wasn't too far below zero we hiked.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 35
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by JeffyD
I've had both of mine replaced in the past two years. Make that your absolute last option.

I've heard enough about knee replacements. I don't want that unless absolutely necessary.

Thinking I might have to get used to wearing a brace on my bad one.

The only good thing about a knee replacement is sharing your xray with all of you women friends smile

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Damn, I lost my xray that looked just like that one!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I was in the hospital one night and they had me on my feet the day of the surgery (I was the doctors 2nd knee replacement of the day, so in my room just after noon time)

first week of PT SUCKS until your quads wake up and you can actually pick your foot up, after that it HURTS when you stretch it to get range of motion back, but if you don't do it the PT person will and that will REALLY HURT. They are going to get it to bend, so do your part!

Hiking and biking are the best for knee health!

IC B3

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm ecstatic to announce that my knee is almost back to normal today. All I can figure is that I have some junk floating around in there from my previous injury. Apparently, it got in position to cause a 36 hour problem.

I was fairly distraught about the whole situation yesterday. The last time I crashed my knee it caused a serious tribulation for several weeks.

I *really* didn't want to go through *that* again.

A buggered up knee makes life barely worth living.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Smashed all the cartalidge under my knees in high school have hurt forever.. now the rest of me is catching up....I hurt

NRA life & RSO Plays with old trucks and tractors
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
B,

Find a GOOD sports med orthopedist and have a thorough functional knee exam. He’ll likely want an MRI of your knee as a recurrent me is also tear is a real possibility to rule out.

BTW, although knee replacement is not a first line therapeutic option, when it’s needed and done by a HIGH-VOLUME joint replacement orthopedic surgeon and TEAM, results are very good and durable. Rehab is a lot of work starting before surgery, and you’ll hear horror stories, but when surgery is done well, as in life in general, it’s back to your everyday activities.

This +10 mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I'm ecstatic to announce that my knee is almost back to normal today. All I can figure is that I have some junk floating around in there from my previous injury. Apparently, it got in position to cause a 36 hour problem.

It called a “joint mouse”.

Only you can tell if it’s worthwhile getting that removed via arthroscopy, probably based on frequency of it occurring.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had both of mine replaced in the past two years. Make that your absolute last option.

I wish I had done mine earlier than I did.
Op, did your knee lock? You might have a deteriorating meniscus. I had my left knee scoped and it never bothers me. I had the right scoped which I thought was my good knee yet that job made it worse and ended up replacing it.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I've been installing floors since I was 14, 43 yrs and I have seldom used knee pads, by the grace of God I've never had knee problems

Jeez, the thought of working on my knees makes my palms sweat. You must have calluses like a pro surfer.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
not sure but the knee bone connected to the leg bone

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by smarquez

I wish I had done mine earlier than I did.
Op, did your knee lock? You might have a deteriorating meniscus. I had my left knee scoped and it never bothers me. I had the right scoped which I thought was my good knee yet that job made it worse and ended up replacing it.

I ripped up the meniscus a few years ago. I had it scoped. There's not much meniscus left in it.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
B,

This +10 mb

A regular MRI Won’t be able to discern old damage from new damage. You have to do an MRI with contrast. They inject dye into the joint before the MRI. Been there done that.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
the gold standard is going in and lookin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (1Longbow, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,633
Posts18,512,099
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.