Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sponxx
After many years of not having a dog (I grew up with european lineage labs, and my wife had a bunch of rottweilers and dobermans as a kid too), I think we are longing for a dog. We are award of the challenges for travel, attention, care etc, and feel the kids are also old enough to be able to semi-care for one.

I have always liked bigger breeds, but that may not be a possibility now, due to our home size, and something Viszla-sized would be about biggest. Another lab may be a possibility, but would want good genetics and prefer the stocky built ones vs the skinnier lanky ones. This one won't be used for hardcore hunting, but more of a companion/family dog and would get a lot of opportunities to be outdoors (albeit not much during the week - besides being walked and such)

Thinking Beagle, Vizsla, Brittany Spaniel, Lab
Any other breeds I should also look for, that meet some or all of these requirements?

- short hair or non shedding midlength coat (like a Brittany Spaniel at the most)
- Good with kids
- Trainable for obedience/tricks maybe some fetch. No need for field trials

German Shorthair or German Shepherd.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Neighbors have 3 Golden-Doodles. They're nice enough dogs but bigger and barkier than I would want. Neighbors aren't hunters so I haven't a clue as to their prey-drive.

Sporting Clays team member has a standard poodle w/hunting bloodlines. He's an excellent upland bird dog and a very good pet for them. He's a bit aloof-distrusting of new folks and reasonably intolerant of other dogs. I've seen the poodle work pheasants and as I said earlier, he's very good at it. He's realized not to chase the runners as when they flush out of range, he doesn't get the reward of a retrieve. His nose is certainly good enough for pheasants but I haven't seen him in a really challenging downed bird/runner situation, just flush and retrieve very dead birds. He can work cattails for pheasants as well as any other hunting breed.

I know 2 very serious upland hunters who have several Small Munsterlanders between them. Both say not much for shedding and the dog settles into "pet/house-dog" life during the off-season. I haven't actually hunted with either of them. One is retired, the other lives in the heart of pheasant country, both spend 30-50days/fall chasing pheasants.

Were I to go away from an English Cocker at some point, the Small Munsterlander would be near the top of my list to consider.

I love labs. I grew up with them and still hunt with buddies that have them. They're easy to train. There are dozens of exceptional breeders/trainers that'll give you a way better than average chance of getting a dog with exceptional instincts. But, that oily coat means they're gonna stink, always stink.

The fact that I can "one-hand" my EC over woven fence, into the truck, or any other time lifting him might be necessary has certainly spoiled me as well.

Doggie 3 w/his litter-mates @ end of upland season:

[Linked Image]

Doggie 3 early in pheasant season:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by horse1; 01/14/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
[quote=hardin284]Catahoula, Black Mouth Cur (Old Yeller), Blue Lacy, Vizla, Mountain Cur

Catahoulas are superior to every other "family" dog I've ever been around. They can get along or get gritty when needed, and also smart, loyal, pleasing, protective and on and on and on.

[/quote

As a fellow Catahoula owner I disagree. Far too much energy requirement and the need to do a job would eliminate them from the OP search, IMHO. I would look for an British Lab if I were him. I absolutely love my Catahoula, by the way.

Another catahoula owner here. And another vote against them as a house
dog. My daughter raised two from puppies in her house/small yard but it
is risky. She lost her first one that was ran over in town after escaping from
a fenced yard.

These dogs are incredible and I love mine, but I consider it cruel to keep
such an animal enclosed in a yard or house. I’m lucky enough to live on
160 acres surrounded by lots of open country and understanding
neighbors. I rescued him from a family that lived in a nearby town where
he continually escaped their yard.

Catahoulas are the greatest dog I have ever been around. They are smart,
loyal, fearless and extremely athletic. They are varmit-killing machines.
They need space.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I love our vizslas.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Just two points:
1. Gross generalizations about dog breeds are just that. Any time you say that all of any breed behave a certain way, you are displaying ignorance
2. All dogs shed. Some shed more than others. Some have a coat type that holds the hair in even after it has been shed. But they all shed.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Labs are worthless.....but damned if we don't love having them around.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

FJB & FJT
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

You mean like most people?

There are actually many other breeds — could make a list because of inherited tendencies to medical problems and poor physical structure — about which that could be said other than the L- and G- doodles.

The many resulting breeds - some good, some not - are the result of genotype mixing to obtain favorable traits. Most of these ‘doodles are outright good-looking dogs with good personalities, smart, and can have the heritage to be good hunters. And they don’t shed.

They're mutts.

Worthless fugkin' dogs.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Hookset
Just two points:
1. Gross generalizations about dog breeds are just that. Any time you say that all of any breed behave a certain way, you are displaying ignorance
2. All dogs shed. Some shed more than others. Some have a coat type that holds the hair in even after it has been shed. But they all shed.

Uhhhh, breeds are bred for a reason.

A Schit Zoo may "shed," but no more than a teenage daughter brushing her hair.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Labs are just plain and simple a great family dog. There is a reason they are the most popular dog in the country for like the last 30 years. My taste in labs is different than yours though. I like the lean lanky ones. Long legs for speed and less weight to be able to last longer on the upland hunts. I have had a labrador in my house for the last 15 years or so and love them. My last two have been American style field trial labs and they have a lot of energy, definately want to make sure they have a good off switch in the house. Enjoy your search, looking is a big part of the fun. As others have mentioned I am sure, if you are looking for a house pet and a family companion and maybe mix in some hunting, look at the pounds and give a good life to a dog that deserves one.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

JeffP's dog.....

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks
What did I do wrong?

And that was Ben’s first duck hunt.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I sure wish they made a Labrador retriever in 50% size.

I am surpised at the difference in the breed. There are big 100 pound dogs that are well built, and there are small 45 -50 pound dogs that tend to be bred in pheasant country etc. My labs have been 65 pounds roughly, definately on the smaller end but I like them to be taller.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffP
Thanks. What did I do wrong? And that was Ben’s first duck hunt.

Nothing, I just moved it from the fire jail house

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Oakster
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I sure wish they made a Labrador retriever in 50% size.

I am surpised at the difference in the breed. There are big 100 pound dogs that are well built, and there are small 45 -50 pound dogs that tend to be bred in pheasant country etc. My labs have been 65 pounds roughly, definately on the smaller end but I like them to be taller.

Because some breeders throw standards to the wind
Size, Proportion and Substance: Size-The height at the withers for a dog is 221⁄2 to 241⁄2 inches; for a bitch is 211⁄2 to 231⁄2 inches. Any variance greater than 1⁄2 inch above or below these heights is a disqualification. Approximate weight of dogs and bitches in working condition: dogs 65 to 80 pounds; bitches 55 to 70 pounds

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffP
Thanks
What did I do wrong?

And that was Ben’s first duck hunt.

The link you put in the img code wasn't to the actual link of the image, it was to the page that the image was on, if that makes sense.....

If on that page you click the link, and it only then shows the picture, you can then grab the pictures address, https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/148441.jpeg , and that is what you want to paste between the img code.

For the img code to work it has to end in .jpeg or .jpg (and a couple other image types)

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by aalf

JeffP's dog.....

[Linked Image]

He's a good boy.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
My Lab is a fairly lean, muscular 82 pounds.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Best dog I’ll ever have. Woodcock to geese

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A happy Lab tail can sweep a shelf, coffee table, and a toddler all in one cycle. smile

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

728 members (10Glocks, 12savage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 78 invisible), 3,017 guests, and 1,520 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,737
Posts18,475,993
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.