Home
Posted By: Sponxx Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
After many years of not having a dog (I grew up with european lineage labs, and my wife had a bunch of rottweilers and dobermans as a kid too), I think we are longing for a dog. We are award of the challenges for travel, attention, care etc, and feel the kids are also old enough to be able to semi-care for one.

I have always liked bigger breeds, but that may not be a possibility now, due to our home size, and something Viszla-sized would be about biggest. Another lab may be a possibility, but would want good genetics and prefer the stocky built ones vs the skinnier lanky ones. This one won't be used for hardcore hunting, but more of a companion/family dog and would get a lot of opportunities to be outdoors (albeit not much during the week - besides being walked and such)

Thinking Beagle, Vizsla, Brittany Spaniel, Lab
Any other breeds I should also look for, that meet some or all of these requirements?

- short hair or non shedding midlength coat (like a Brittany Spaniel at the most)
- Good with kids
- Trainable for obedience/tricks maybe some fetch. No need for field trials
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
Sit down, dogs have gone up.
German Shorthaired Pointer. A bit high maintenance depending on the lineage, but they love like no other and they check all the boxes you mentioned.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
Airedale. We’ve owned them, er, they’ve owned us for years. Very little shedding. Extremely smart and outstanding companions. Love kids and your friends. 500-1000$.
Posted By: mbhunt Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
Not a Brittany. I love them and have had 2 but they shed like crazy and are VERY high energy and need attention.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

That's the truth. Bought our Airedale from a breeder 5 years ago for $1,200. Their site now lists them for close to 3k.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
crazy

Have never been a dog person , though I love the heck out of other peoples dogs! Almost two weeks ago I was having a sleepless night. I am in the basement and I hear this dog barking on the front porch at 0230ish. I don some gear, headlamp, grab the shotgun and head outside. A little beagle is shivering on the front porch. I entice him inside the garage where he tries rolling up in the rug. I get his collar off and go look up his owners. Both phone numbers don't work so I go to address I googled. I pick up the little bugger and drive about five miles away and knock on a farmers door. Both of em get up with their pack of beagles howling! They had two vagabond beagles not come back to the truck that afternoon from rabbit hunting. A pretty smart dog that somehow knew our house was friendly and barked until someone woke up!
In these times a dog with protective instincts ought be considered. If you are not going to hunt with the breeds you mentioned then consider the breed types your wife had as a kid..... or others that would be a good watchdog.
Scratch beagles off the list, bred to follow their nose, not follow instructions.

I have had good luck with heelers (aka Australian Cattle Dogs).

Also put miniature poodle on the list.
Originally Posted by Sponxx
After many years of not having a dog (I grew up with european lineage labs, and my wife had a bunch of rottweilers and dobermans as a kid too), I think we are longing for a dog. We are award of the challenges for travel, attention, care etc, and feel the kids are also old enough to be able to semi-care for one.

I have always liked bigger breeds, but that may not be a possibility now, due to our home size, and something Viszla-sized would be about biggest. Another lab may be a possibility, but would want good genetics and prefer the stocky built ones vs the skinnier lanky ones. This one won't be used for hardcore hunting, but more of a companion/family dog and would get a lot of opportunities to be outdoors (albeit not much during the week - besides being walked and such)

Any other breeds I should also look for, that meet some or all of these requirements?

- short hair or non shedding midlength coat (like a Brittany Spaniel at the most)
- Good with kids

Of the breeds you listed, and having been around those breeds, my vote would be for a Lab.

10 year old Beagle and 3 month old Mountain Cur here, both females.
Beagles aren't high on the dog intelligence list. If you live in a neighborhood and want it to spend time outside it will bark nearly non-stop. Vizslas are very high energy dogs. You will have to allow them to get vigorous exercise or they won't be happy. Labs are very smart and can be high energy. You'll have to budget time for them to give them an outlet for their energy or intellect, or they won't be happy. From your list, the Brittany stands out as the best if not only choice.

Corgis are cool. They are smart, have great personalities, are the right size and not as demanding as the others on your list.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
German Shorthaired Pointer. A bit high maintenance depending on the lineage, but they love like no other and they check all the boxes you mentioned.

Yup... You don't "walk" a Shortair, 10mph is a little more of a jog. 😅
You should check out english labs
Posted By: Dess Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
A schnauzer checks all the boxes.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
Evaluate your family’s own life style and a get temperament that fits It.
A good pound hound is hard to beat.
Posted By: killerv Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
no beagle!

We are getting our first german shorthair coming in a few weeks. Great dogs.
Posted By: OGB Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
Golden-doodle. I know, I know
Ours is 4y/o, smart, well behaved and has deemed my wife his "person". Always by her side. She calls him her "supervisor".
Posted By: EdM Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
We just finished our third week with this girl and after learning to not bite feet and hands at week one she has been a fantastic dog. Crazy quick learner. On day three of ownership she headed out to the street maybe 75 yards away and fetched the newspaper. She starts the day doing it. All of the necessary commands are pretty well nailed as well as shake, crawl and spin. She's sleeping to my left now but will soon be up for lunch.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: jnyork Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by Dess
A schnauzer checks all the boxes.

This. Miniature or standard. Not very much shedding at all, nobody will sneak up on your house.
Posted By: Brazos Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
My vote would be for a Lab for a family pet. Or a Lab/Golden mix.

Definitely not a Beagle. I grew up with Beagles, one of the reasons I appreciate Labs so much!
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Scratch beagles off the list, bred to follow their nose, not follow instructions..

^^ This ^^ .... I would not own a hound for a pet / house dog. Let them off the lead and they're gone after smells without any attention to you or anyone else.

Pretty good shedders as well, as are the labs the OP mentioned.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
I own a smoothcoat Pudelpointer. It's a bit bigger than what the OP wants and it high energy. I enjoy the daily walking. It doesn't shed much at all and is good with kids.

I'd buy another smoothcoat PP.

Posted By: 1minute Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
Under cover German Police Dog:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Nine pound Norwich Terrier with the heart of a 100 pounder.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
So many dogs,

so little time.

good luck with whichever breed you choose.

We favor whippets, but they have to be walked a couple of miles a day and need a bit of a yard to run around in when they're not sleeping on the couch.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
I had read beagles could get loud, and following nose and not commands can be frustrating for everyone.

I may have to relook labs again, or maybe a Rott, though they are bigger than what we would want and could offer for spreading around room here.
English labs may fit the requirement (steep bill though) but I would hate to compare them to my previous dogs.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by bruinruin

That's the truth. Bought our Airedale from a breeder 5 years ago for $1,200. Their site now lists them for close to 3k.

That's ridiculous.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21

While Beagles are lovable and friendly dogs, most I've ever been around were also skilled escape artists. Beagles and Pyrenees are usually the two breeds I see posted most often on lost and found sites.
Posted By: Biebs Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
The last of our Mini-Dachshunds passed away a few weeks ago, so we've been looking for a replacement or two. You're right about prices....bought our last two for $750 or so, now $3,500. And you can't even adopt a shelter dog without being on a waiting list that never ends. Everyone being home with Covid restrictions has increased demand greatly. Wait until everyone has to go back to work....the shelters will be overloaded!
Posted By: ribka Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
I like vizslas and have owned them but doesn't sound like you want an upland hunting dog as they require a lot of daily exercise.

Id go with a lab as they would check all of your boxes and great with kids. They do shed some
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
I had read beagles could get loud, and following nose and not commands can be frustrating for everyone.

I may have to relook labs again, or maybe a Rott, though they are bigger than what we would want and could offer for spreading around room here.
English labs may fit the requirement (steep bill though) but I would hate to compare them to my previous dogs.

Maybe look at the Nova Scotia Tolling retrievers,

Portuguese Water dog,

But, the perfect dog will be yours to find.

Don't forget to look at breed specific rescue organizations in your area once you decide. Many times you can get a good dog that way without having to pay the high cost. An awful lot of dogs have to be given up because of age of the owner, a career move, etc, and some of the dogs are younger. Two of ours are from a whippet rescue group.
Posted By: JeffP Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21

Years ago I posted when my English lab Ted passed. I still miss him to this day. It was some time before I got another, British lab this time . ( English is show lines blockier heads etc British is field lines)
Had I known I was getting a dog like Ben (British), I never would had waited. I don’t find myself comparing them.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
Maybe a Roosevelt Rat Terrier with some size?

I have a Beagle. Cute little mutt, right?
She will never come when you call her. I mean, if you are holding a fried chicken drumstick in your hand she might come, but otherwise not.
Beagles are high-strung and love to run around in the woods. I own 48 acres in the NC mountains and this mutt spends 2 or 3 hours a day running up and down these mountains and howling at the moon, or at werewolves, or at some damn thing. I bet Daisy runs 9 miles a day.

In an hour I will take her out for a 2 1/2 mile walk, and after we get back from that she will still go out and run around for 9 miles, howling incessantly.

If you don't have a big place where the Beagle can run around a lot, I would not get a Beagle.
Catahoula, Black Mouth Cur (Old Yeller), Blue Lacy, Vizla, Mountain Cur

Catahoulas are superior to every other "family" dog I've ever been around. They can get along or get gritty when needed, and also smart, loyal, pleasing, protective and on and on and on.
Get a RESQUE DOG. You'll be glad you did !!!
[quote=hardin284]Catahoula, Black Mouth Cur (Old Yeller), Blue Lacy, Vizla, Mountain Cur

Catahoulas are superior to every other "family" dog I've ever been around. They can get along or get gritty when needed, and also smart, loyal, pleasing, protective and on and on and on.

[/quote

As a fellow Catahoula owner I disagree. Far too much energy requirement and the need to do a job would eliminate them from the OP search, IMHO. I would look for an British Lab if I were him. I absolutely love my Catahoula, by the way.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
My response would be biased.

I can’t even look at them though without getting white hair on my jeans.
Everyone should have at least one sausage hound.

Posted By: Nebraska Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by NDsnowman

Agreed. Plus, they keep an eye on your guns when you're not around......

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Cheesy
My response would be biased.

I can’t even look at them though without getting white hair on my jeans.

Beautiful!!!
My GSP Roxy points like a champ and you could hunt behind her on foot or horseback. She'll retrieve a goose from the water or a dove from thick grass.....and will work like hell to find it. She's really getting up there but here's a pic of her retrieving a dove this year......and getting some grilled dove nuggets when we got home!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
My daughter has two Brittany Spaniels. *Way* too high strung for my tastes. I've got a field bred Lab. He's 4 years old now and has calmed down quite a bit. If you want to get him stirred up he exhibits some high energy. But he's also content to nap if nothing exciting is going on.

I'd get another one. They tune into their people very well and are eager to please once they learn what you want.

Mine is very upbeat and content with the world. Everything is an adventure to him. He even likes going to the Vet.

Even the Vet commented on his positive, upbeat nature,....said, "He seems like a very happy dog".

This guy breeds good, healthy Labs.

https://www.holzingerkennels.com/puppies.html
Posted By: las Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
No beagle. Dachshunds are crazy fun, but they are a hound - see above. I don't know how many hours on "walks" that I've waited for our first (now deceased) Doxy to get tired of running rabbits - or trying to ambush him as he came by me after one...

The current one minds much better, but still. 20 minutes wait until he decides to come is a huge improvement over an hour or two,.... smile

I vote Lab or Lab-mix. Can usually find one on rescue sites/animal shelters/pounds. If mixed with a smaller dog such as Spanial they will likely be good hunters as well - certainly sufficient for the casual user. That Lab hunting instinct carries over well in mixes. They do require exercise, and Labs are pretty bad shedders. My current one (Lab/sled dog/whippet???) is the worst shedder I've ever had. Daily brushing required, or highly recommended (by my wife!!) - takes me 5 minutes.

Even that doesn't help completely during the twice yearly shedding times...

Be aware that with Labradoodle or Goldoodle 50-50 mix pup, you still have a one in four chance that it will be a shedder. The other 3 will require clipping, but not often. Also be aware that many pups advertised as "lab-mix". are actually pit mix, to get around anti- pit laws and prejudices, which doesn't mean they won't be excellent family dogs, paranoia not-withstanding. As hunters maybe not so much.

A mid-sized poodle might be good for you, if it still has hunting instinct. My brother has a 3/4 poodle/1/4 golden, no shedding, and no hunting instinct at all... Spendy designer dogs....

Just a few days ago I got slobbered all over by a full-sized, 9 month old poodle in the airport. I'd take him home.... smile

Good thing I'm retired - we have a Lab-mix (I think) rescue dog (darned smart and mostly minds well) AND a Dachshund, who largely takes his clues from the bigger dog.
That's great! That little mutt holed up in a blanket on the back of the big dog. Maximum cute.
We have a schipperkee. Nothing goes un noticed around our house. Good companion and very protective. Even though he is a small dog, someone would have to kill him to get into our house.
Posted By: cfran Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
I’m a lab guy and have one of those, hard to go wrong. But also have a young miniature golden doodle. Non shedding and a really neat and intelligent little dog. Although dogs that don’t shed require additional grooming and dirt, burrs and other things make their coats seem like a lot of work.
Originally Posted by Brazos
My vote would be for a Lab for a family pet. Or a Lab/Golden mix.

Definitely not a Beagle. I grew up with Beagles, one of the reasons I appreciate Labs so much!

Another vote here for labs. We currently have two chocolate labs and have had labs in our home as part of the family for the past 25 years. Great with kids.
Posted By: dogdoc Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
A lot of good choices and opinions. No hounds as they run off. My best breeds for companion have been a Brittany or doberman. Both are super loyal. I like the size of the Brittany better as they are easy in and out of the truck. They are my farm dogs and help me feed cows and check fences!
Posted By: horse1 Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/13/21
I grew up with labs. I got out of college, employed, ready for a dog and happened into an impossible to pass situation for an English Cocker. That was 2001. Now on my 3rd EC, he's 1 and just as delightful as the last 2. He's a loyal and affectionate pet for 9Mo of the year then turns into an upland bird hunting machine for 3Mo.

Opening morning of Pheasant season @ ~9Mo old he spent 10Min in 8'+ tall cattails, part of that time having to swim to find a dead bird that sailed into them. Came out with the dead bird. He was soaked, muddy, and proudly wagging his tail just under the speed of light.

This is not the bird from the cattails described above but is the dog described:

[Linked Image]

He's resting quietly on his bed in my office. When he needs an ear-scratch or tummy-rub he'll come over and paw softly for a bit of attention. We hunted Sharptails, huns, ruffed grouse, and pheasants this fall and he'll suffice for all of them.
Originally Posted by las
No beagle. Dachshunds are crazy fun, but they are a hound - see above. I don't know how many hours on "walks" that I've waited for our first (now deceased) Doxy to get tired of running rabbits - or trying to ambush him as he came by me after one...

The current one minds much better, but still. 20 minutes wait until he decides to come is a huge improvement over an hour or two....

This is hilarious to me. Describes my 8 y.o. Doxy to a T!
GSP
Originally Posted by horse1
I grew up with labs. I got out of college, employed, ready for a dog and happened into an impossible to pass situation for an English Cocker. That was 2001. Now on my 3rd EC, he's 1 and just as delightful as the last 2. He's a loyal and affectionate pet for 9Mo of the year then turns into an upland bird hunting machine for 3Mo.

Opening morning of Pheasant season @ ~9Mo old he spent 10Min in 8'+ tall cattails, part of that time having to swim to find a dead bird that sailed into them. Came out with the dead bird. He was soaked, muddy, and proudly wagging his tail just under the speed of light.

This is not the bird from the cattails described above but is the dog described:

[Linked Image]

He's resting quietly on his bed in my office. When he needs an ear-scratch or tummy-rub he'll come over and paw softly for a bit of attention. We hunted Sharptails, huns, ruffed grouse, and pheasants this fall and he'll suffice for all of them.

I have been considering an English Cocker as my next dog. Do you have any recommended breeders?
Doesn't fit your criteria at all, but I don't think I'll ever have another dog that isn't a Border Collie. Difficult dogs, but are above and beyond other breeds. Just get a good Lab or Golden.
I sure wish they made a Labrador retriever in 50% size.
Picking up two Boykins in April. Always loved them, always had labs, never owned Boykins but they’ve always intrigued me. I’m not getting any younger.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by PeeDeeRiver
Doesn't fit your criteria at all, but I don't think I'll ever have another dog that isn't a Border Collie. Difficult dogs, but are above and beyond other breeds. Just get a good Lab or Golden.

Agreed . But they aren't for casual, usual 'dog people'....
Posted By: JeffA Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by PeeDeeRiver
I don't think I'll ever have another dog that isn't a Border Collie. Difficult dogs, but are above and beyond other breeds.

+1

Posted By: Bristoe Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
Border Collies are good dogs. I have one friend who has five. Another friend has three.

If you get one that has been overdosed with the herding gene they can be knotheads, however.

Two of the Border Collies that my friend with three has are content to go around doing doggy things, but the third won't allow it. The third one is always trying to herd the other two. It crouches down close to the other two and if they get too far apart it rushes out and pushes them back together.

It lives to herd.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

They do...

Take a good long hard look at Boykin Spaniels. That’s exactly what they are.
Posted By: rlott Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
Got 2 great dogs from here. You need to be patient but the right one will pop up. I got a 9mo male from them that will track wounded game to the ends of the earth.

https://www.mdgsprescue.org/
Originally Posted by rlott
Got 2 great dogs from here. You need to be patient but the right one will pop up. I got a 9mo male from them that will track wounded game to the ends of the earth.

https://www.mdgsprescue.org/

It’s for some and not for others.
We have ten dogs of different breeds. Two are Beagles. I have owned many Beagles. Best dogs ever.
I’ve been an upland hunter for over fifty years and around or have owned GSP, GWP, Pudel pointers, English Pointers, Brit and Springer Spaniels, labs, and a bunch more.

The pointers are just high energy and mine had no “off buttons” and demanded significant time every day. Labs as you know are a little more relaxed as a group. My last GWP, smooth coat needed 6-8 miles a day at 10 mph just to take the edge off..minimum.

Some of the fashion breeds (Goldendoodle, labradoodles) are very nice handsome dogs with good dispositions and don’t shed. Another is the Schnoodle (pure bred Schnauzer and Poodle cross). These three come in small, medium and large though sometimes that’s a crap shoot when ordering a pup..

My daughter has a labradoodle they ordered as a “small” and it’s now fifty lbs, beautiful, intelligent, great with the kids, and I could tell it would be a heck of a hunter with some experience and training.

Dogs do add a lot to life.

We added this little 7-month old Schnoodle to our home this summer. About 12 lbs now. Will be about a twenty pound dog.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] rings a lot of enjoyment.

Posted By: Lockhart Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
My Brittany had an excellent temperament, was loyal and I could not have asked for a better dog. I used to bring him along on rabbit hunts and the dog handlers would comment about how he never "messed up the dogs". He even retrieved a number of rabbits that once shot, were lost in the honeysuckle vines.
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
I’ve been an upland hunter for over fifty years and around or have owned GSP, GWP, Pudel pointers, English Pointers, Brit and Springer Spaniels, labs, and a bunch more.

The pointers are just high energy and mine had no “off buttons” and demanded significant time every day. Labs as you know are a little more relaxed as a group. My last GWP, smooth coat needed 6-8 miles a day at 10 mph just to take the edge off..minimum.

Some of the fashion breeds (Goldendoodle, labradoodles) are very nice handsome dogs with good dispositions and don’t shed. Another is the Schnoodle (pure bred Schnauzer and Poodle cross). These three come in small, medium and large though sometimes that’s a crap shoot when ordering a pup..

My daughter has a labradoodle they ordered as a “small” and it’s now fifty lbs, beautiful, intelligent, great with the kids, and I could tell it would be a heck of a hunter with some experience and training.

We added this little 7-month old Schnoodle to our home this summer. About 12 lbs now. Will be about a twenty pound dog.

@deflave

Would you mind?
Posted By: RinB Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21

My last dog was a beagle. I really loved that hound BUT she was very hard headed...really difficult to train, took years. She became sort of trainable after she dug under a fence, ran away, got hit by a car and ended up with a false hip. Vets will tell you that beagles are often hit by cars because they are so dominated by their nose. They will walk in front of a train if they are on to something that smells good. They will run off.

I would get a poodle. No shedding, athletic, very intelligent, easy to train, quiet. Find one from European hunting heritage if you want a hunting dog, if no big deal to you then get on from pet type breeder. Avoid a show dog breeder. Get one 25-45 pounds.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21

[Linked Image]

I have been considering an English Cocker as my next dog. Do you have any recommended breeders?

You can take your pick of any of the 3 in Bismarck ND. Oahe Kennels (Tom Ness), Absolute Gun Dogs (Dan Murray), Glencoe Kennels (Paul McGagh). All 3 specialize in Spaniels, Cockers and Springers. I'd not hesitate to nab an EC or Springer from any of them. The springers I've seen out of all 3 kennels all run on the small side, 40# and less has been my experience.

The EC's will hunt upland game in any cover you sent them into. My last 2 would also retrieve waterfowl, current dog hasn't had the opportunity yet. I'm not much of a waterfowler and though they'll do almost anything you command them to, I'd not ask an EC to jump into frigid water, they don't have the coat and none of mine have had enough fat on them for a regular diet of that.

My 3 have all been "house dogs" and as such don't develop a super-thick cold-weather coat. 0F ambient is about the limit for hunting for the 3 I've owned. I can't say I enjoy things much colder than that either.........
Catahoula.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by bruinruin

That's ridiculous.

For a good one, no it's not.
Posted By: coobie Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
I have had 4 Brittanys great dog.I cut there hair about every 3 months real short no issues with shedding .Great temperament good with kids.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
We've never bought a dog...or cat. Most just show up and refuse leave. The dumpsters down the road always have strays that some Ahole's threw out.
Posted By: JeffP Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21

IIRC wildrose kennel has what he called canoe labs.
They avg 45 lbs .
I have two TT British labs. Ben is 58 , my pup Rip will probably go 75

The recommendation for a standard poodle is a good choice to . A good standard can be used for almost anything. Smart dogs.
Posted By: deflave Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21

- Good with kids

If you think any of those are a good choice for your needs, you have a lot to learn about dogs.

Labradoodles are not dogs.

They are mutts assembled in some moron's backyard.

If you want a lab get a lab. If you want a full size poodle get a full size poodle.

Both make great bird dogs if purchased from a reputable breeder.

Labradoodles rank right up there with "silver labs."

AVOID.
Posted By: ryoushi Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
Rescue a dog from a shelter.

[Linked Image]

That's a great pic.
Originally Posted by deflave

Labradoodles are not dogs.

They are mutts assembled in some moron's backyard.

You mean like most people?

There are actually many other breeds — could make a list because of inherited tendencies to medical problems and poor physical structure — about which that could be said other than the L- and G- doodles.

The many resulting breeds - some good, some not - are the result of genotype mixing to obtain favorable traits. Most of these ‘doodles are outright good-looking dogs with good personalities, smart, and can have the heritage to be good hunters. And they don’t shed.

Posted By: Esox357 Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21

- Good with kids

German Shorthair or German Shepherd.
Neighbors have 3 Golden-Doodles. They're nice enough dogs but bigger and barkier than I would want. Neighbors aren't hunters so I haven't a clue as to their prey-drive.

Sporting Clays team member has a standard poodle w/hunting bloodlines. He's an excellent upland bird dog and a very good pet for them. He's a bit aloof-distrusting of new folks and reasonably intolerant of other dogs. I've seen the poodle work pheasants and as I said earlier, he's very good at it. He's realized not to chase the runners as when they flush out of range, he doesn't get the reward of a retrieve. His nose is certainly good enough for pheasants but I haven't seen him in a really challenging downed bird/runner situation, just flush and retrieve very dead birds. He can work cattails for pheasants as well as any other hunting breed.

I know 2 very serious upland hunters who have several Small Munsterlanders between them. Both say not much for shedding and the dog settles into "pet/house-dog" life during the off-season. I haven't actually hunted with either of them. One is retired, the other lives in the heart of pheasant country, both spend 30-50days/fall chasing pheasants.

Were I to go away from an English Cocker at some point, the Small Munsterlander would be near the top of my list to consider.

I love labs. I grew up with them and still hunt with buddies that have them. They're easy to train. There are dozens of exceptional breeders/trainers that'll give you a way better than average chance of getting a dog with exceptional instincts. But, that oily coat means they're gonna stink, always stink.

The fact that I can "one-hand" my EC over woven fence, into the truck, or any other time lifting him might be necessary has certainly spoiled me as well.

Doggie 3 w/his litter-mates @ end of upland season:

[Linked Image]

Doggie 3 early in pheasant season:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mlschnei Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
[quote=hardin284]Catahoula, Black Mouth Cur (Old Yeller), Blue Lacy, Vizla, Mountain Cur

[/quote

As a fellow Catahoula owner I disagree. Far too much energy requirement and the need to do a job would eliminate them from the OP search, IMHO. I would look for an British Lab if I were him. I absolutely love my Catahoula, by the way.

Another catahoula owner here. And another vote against them as a house
dog. My daughter raised two from puppies in her house/small yard but it
is risky. She lost her first one that was ran over in town after escaping from
a fenced yard.

These dogs are incredible and I love mine, but I consider it cruel to keep
such an animal enclosed in a yard or house. I’m lucky enough to live on
160 acres surrounded by lots of open country and understanding
neighbors. I rescued him from a family that lived in a nearby town where
he continually escaped their yard.

Catahoulas are the greatest dog I have ever been around. They are smart,
loyal, fearless and extremely athletic. They are varmit-killing machines.
They need space.
Posted By: duckster Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
I love our vizslas.
Posted By: Hookset Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
Just two points:
1. Gross generalizations about dog breeds are just that. Any time you say that all of any breed behave a certain way, you are displaying ignorance
2. All dogs shed. Some shed more than others. Some have a coat type that holds the hair in even after it has been shed. But they all shed.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
Labs are worthless.....but damned if we don't love having them around.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You mean like most people?

There are actually many other breeds — could make a list because of inherited tendencies to medical problems and poor physical structure — about which that could be said other than the L- and G- doodles.

The many resulting breeds - some good, some not - are the result of genotype mixing to obtain favorable traits. Most of these ‘doodles are outright good-looking dogs with good personalities, smart, and can have the heritage to be good hunters. And they don’t shed.

They're mutts.

Worthless fugkin' dogs.
Originally Posted by Hookset
Just two points:
1. Gross generalizations about dog breeds are just that. Any time you say that all of any breed behave a certain way, you are displaying ignorance
2. All dogs shed. Some shed more than others. Some have a coat type that holds the hair in even after it has been shed. But they all shed.

Uhhhh, breeds are bred for a reason.

A Schit Zoo may "shed," but no more than a teenage daughter brushing her hair.

Posted By: Oakster Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
Labs are just plain and simple a great family dog. There is a reason they are the most popular dog in the country for like the last 30 years. My taste in labs is different than yours though. I like the lean lanky ones. Long legs for speed and less weight to be able to last longer on the upland hunts. I have had a labrador in my house for the last 15 years or so and love them. My last two have been American style field trial labs and they have a lot of energy, definately want to make sure they have a good off switch in the house. Enjoy your search, looking is a big part of the fun. As others have mentioned I am sure, if you are looking for a house pet and a family companion and maybe mix in some hunting, look at the pounds and give a good life to a dog that deserves one.
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/15655919/ben[/img]
Posted By: aalf Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21

JeffP's dog.....

[Linked Image]
Thanks
What did I do wrong?

And that was Ben’s first duck hunt.
Posted By: Oakster Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21

I am surpised at the difference in the breed. There are big 100 pound dogs that are well built, and there are small 45 -50 pound dogs that tend to be bred in pheasant country etc. My labs have been 65 pounds roughly, definately on the smaller end but I like them to be taller.
Posted By: aalf Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by JeffP
Thanks. What did I do wrong? And that was Ben’s first duck hunt.

Nothing, I just moved it from the fire jail house
Originally Posted by Oakster

I am surpised at the difference in the breed. There are big 100 pound dogs that are well built, and there are small 45 -50 pound dogs that tend to be bred in pheasant country etc. My labs have been 65 pounds roughly, definately on the smaller end but I like them to be taller.

Because some breeders throw standards to the wind
Size, Proportion and Substance: Size-The height at the withers for a dog is 221⁄2 to 241⁄2 inches; for a bitch is 211⁄2 to 231⁄2 inches. Any variance greater than 1⁄2 inch above or below these heights is a disqualification. Approximate weight of dogs and bitches in working condition: dogs 65 to 80 pounds; bitches 55 to 70 pounds
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
Thanks
What did I do wrong?

And that was Ben’s first duck hunt.

The link you put in the img code wasn't to the actual link of the image, it was to the page that the image was on, if that makes sense.....

If on that page you click the link, and it only then shows the picture, you can then grab the pictures address, https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/148441.jpeg , and that is what you want to paste between the img code.

For the img code to work it has to end in .jpeg or .jpg (and a couple other image types)
Originally Posted by aalf

JeffP's dog.....

[Linked Image]

He's a good boy.
My Lab is a fairly lean, muscular 82 pounds.

Best dog I’ll ever have. Woodcock to geese
Posted By: Dess Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
A happy Lab tail can sweep a shelf, coffee table, and a toddler all in one cycle. smile
[Linked Image]

Rip 8 months old at the time
An Apache Joe grandson
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21

I have had dogs over the years of all kinds. Been around tons of them. At one point, we had 6 dogs. Now down to 4.

The 2 best I ever had was a rescue Doberman and an Aussie/Border cross. I am chomping at the bit to get another doberman.

Absolutely phenomenal family dogs. I rescued ours not knowing anything about them. But what I read after the fact matched out experience.

My dog definitely bonded to me as the alpha. But he didn't just put up with the kids and wife. He bonded strongly with them as well. This is something I have not seen in other breeds. Especially alpha-personality type breeds.

I would not go with a beagle or hounds as others stated.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
I spent a ton of time looking for breeder, pedigree, lineage for my dog. Most worthless stupid dog ever. Next time I will get the first 2 or 3 I find at the shelter. If I have 3, the cost to board will be so high the wife wont make me go on vacation. Always thinking, I am.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Love my lab I have now and every one I’ve had before. Always been a lab guy and may end up having them again. But there’s just something about those Boykins. Every one I’ve ever been around has had the temperament of a lab, they’re no BS diehard retrievers (saw a Boykin make a 400 yard water retrieve on a honker), have a great off button in the house, great around kids, and half the size of a lab. Dated a girl in high school who had one and I spent about a year around that dog and he always amazed me. Hell of a bird dog and an incredible blood trailer.

I’ve always wanted to have one and after our Schnauzer died back in 2019, we kinda half-assedly started looking. Coincidentally we found a breeder who’s on the Boykin Spaniel Society’s preferred breeder list and lives only 7-8 miles from the house. I was kinda shocked to even find one in Alaska, let alone just down the road.

I started talking to him this time last year and he said he wasn’t planning to breed until this time this year. Loaded up the wife and kids back in July and went over to his place to see the parents working. He has two females and a male and they were all hell on wheels when he was throwing marks. Dummy launcher out into some waist tall thick stuff and those little brown dogs would bring it back every time. I think he hung an MH on the male and one of the females and maybe an SH on the other female, but I could be wrong on that. Tough to do up here with abbreviated trial/test seasons. I’m not too worried about it, anyways, just looking for genetic evidence of trainability and they have that in the pedigree. Plus, I watched them work and they were rock solid. Back to the front yard to BS a bit more and all three of them were curled up letting the kids pet them until we left.

The wife and I discussed it and didn’t want to deal with any more puppy madness than we had to. She decided she wanted to try to train her own dog (finally), and that since we didn’t want to have one dog again, it’d be nice for the pup to always have a companion. Since our current lab is 11, we opted for two pups. She was also a little concerned that every dog we get ends up being “my dog” since I’m the one doing the training, hunting, feeding, etc. She figures if we get two and I train one of them and teach her how to train the other, that it might end up being “her dog” that’ll want to be with her all the time.

Breeding took place in mid-December, pups expected to hit the ground in mid-February, chaos ensues early April. Even in July, there was already one deposit ahead of us. We’re picks 2 & 3 on males, but if there aren’t enough males, we’ll adjust fire and either get one male or two females.

Anyone who wants a good family pet that’s a capable hunter, mild-mannered, and half the size of a lab should really take a look at these dogs.
Posted By: Gojoe Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
Airdale.
Originally Posted by Oakster

Yeah, I was referring to the average Lab at around 70 lbs. I want a 30-35 lb one.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's my size dog. I want something that I can tuck under my arm and cross a fence with, or lift up onto my 4-wheeler to go for a ride with.
Nobody hated Labs more than Me, ...until I owned One

Posted By: ribka Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
labs are ok for an average family dog. Or you can up your tastes

Posted By: sse Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
last Summer saw a guy runnin a Braque Francais, it's kind of a mini-GSP, great pup
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by sse
last Summer saw a guy runnin a Braque Francais, it's kind of a mini-GSP, great pup

And rare enough they don’t come with a mini-price tag.
Posted By: sse Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/14/21
true, some guys here don't seem to be too scared off by the price tag of 2-3K
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I stubbed my finger on my computer trying to pet your damned dog.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I stubbed my finger on my computer trying to pet your damned dog.

I wondered what that whimper was a few minutes ago, you poked him in the eye you summbitch.
Posted By: tater74 Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/15/21
We are babysitting my son's exotic bully.

Interesting young puppy.

I had never heard of them.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/15/21
I've had dogs since I was too young to remember. Back in the '70's and '80's my brother and I would have 15 or 20 any given time, mostly foxhounds but also a few coonhounds and beagles. Got older and got into retrievers. Now I'm down to 3, two housedogs, Papillons, and one working dog, Chesapeak, said retriever boarded with my son at the moment (who was a military dog handler for ten years and keeps him tuned up for me.) A couple of views I have on this business of dogs....stay away from high-energy bird-dog breeds and such if you want a house pet unless you have the time and energy work with them DAILY. Stay away from hounds . Hounds aren't bred to be pliable. They're bred to work largely independently and on instinct. To train a dog you have to be smarter than the dog. A lot of people can train labs, and goldens, not so many Chessies . . Stay away from popular breeds unless you're willing to really do your homework and learn a bit about the breed and the breeders. A breed gets popular and every quick buck artist with a backyard starts cranking out puppies and foolish people start buying them with the idea that one "purebred dog" is as good as another. I want a breeder who is active in the breed, be it hunt tests, obedience trials, whatever. I want to see a wall covered with ribbons. To me, somebody who can only talk about a litter's ancestry and nothing else is a backyard breeder, not a professional. Right now, I would estimate, not one "breeder" in twenty that is selling labs or golden retrievers is any good. I want to know how many times that bitch has been bred to that dog and what the results were of THAT PARTICULAR CROSS. You can take a bitch with a 4 generation pedigree showing nothing but champions of one kind or another and breed her to a dog with a similar pedigree and for reasons of genetics or whatever it might be the worse damn cross ever. Get a breed that has been developed to do what you want the dog to do. If you want a retriever, get a retriever. If you want to hunt coons, get a coonhound. If you want a housepet, get a housepet breed. Also, learn a little bit about the breed standard and get a puppy from a cross that produces dogs that conform to the breed standard. That's not some kind of hoity-toity thing for dog show people. There are reasons those standards were developed. Dogs that deviate too far from them are more likely to have orthopedic problems and other health issues that tag along with poor genetics. I cringe when I hear people talk about their "hundred-pound lab" or their "95 pound German Shepherd." Those are just disasters waiting to happen. A friend had just gotten a Golden Retriever puppy. He was telling me, "The breeder said he should hit 100 pounds." That should be eough to make someone turn around and run, when the so-called "breeder" is predicting his puppies will run a third heavier than they're supposed to. Enough of my rant...didn't mean to get so wound up, but it's late and I'm old and crotchety...and I get sick and tired of all the nonsense you hear about dogs...this is the United States of America. Everybody and their cousin Elrod is a dog expert. Good night.
You need a Lab!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
You need a Lab!

A Lab mixed with a Golden, judging by that feathering on his tail.
Lab/Golden mixes are good dogs too - my parents have had 3 over the past 40 years.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/15/21
Originally Posted by ribka

Yup ..... I had a lab prior to my current PP. I've never own another lab.

Too much shedding, problems with weight and joints. Great dogs otherwise.
NOT BRITTANY. Had them for 40 years, shed like crazy and very high energy; need LOTS of exercise and attention.
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Most dogs are gonna shed, but it’s amazing what researching a breeder and then a pairing coupled with appropriate exercise for the dog can do for problems with weight and joints. Although, blaming the breed is also a solid plan.
You need a Lab!

Lab/Golden mixes are good dogs too - my parents have had 3 over the past 40 years.

Nope he is a red lab. They are brothers
Posted By: horse1 Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/15/21
Originally Posted by Natty_Bumpo
NOT BRITTANY. Had them for 40 years, shed like crazy and very high energy; need LOTS of exercise and attention.

Neighbor who shouldn't own any dogs owns a Britt. He's the doggie-doo scourge of the neighborhood. I've had said neighbor out in the dark on hands and knees looking for the "pile" and yet he seems oblivious or unable to control the thing. Walks the turd-machine w/E-collar attached but only to keep him from getting too far or jumping on people, no problem letting the dog crap wherever it wants then walks away and hope no-one sees.

I've not hunted with a Britt that was ever an asset to the hunt. Running fools that had no discipline, didn't point or hold birds, and in all cases were aggressive towards other dogs.
You need a Lab!

Feathered tail and ears say that ain't all lab no matter what some papers say. All labs that are all lab have a smooth coat.
You need a Lab!

Feathered tail and ears say that ain't all lab no matter what some papers say. All labs that are all lab have a smooth coat.

Well they are both akc registered as are both parents.
Yep, it appears that lab’s mom went slumming in the kennel.
Why don't you use your google fu and look up long haired red lab!
You need a Lab!

Oh.

See prior comments about popular breeds and backyard breeders. An AKC registration amounts to sending in a piece of paper. There is no AKC police force to come check to make sure someone’s dog was knocked up by the dog the paper indicates.

That dog has golden retriever in it and it’s pretty obvious.

Dog genetic tests to show breed composition are fairly inexpensive. Buy one and give it a whirl. Might surprise you. I’m happy to eat crow if necessary.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/15/21
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs

Most dogs are gonna shed, but it’s amazing what researching a breeder and then a pairing coupled with appropriate exercise for the dog can do for problems with weight and joints. Although, blaming the breed is also a solid plan.

OK then ..... I will walk between 35 and 40km this week, so I see several dogs on a daily basis while out with mine. I saw a pattern with labs, so I looked for a breed with less troubles and found it. Blaming me or the breeder is some funny.

AVOID.

I thought that Silver Labs were Weimaraners that hadn't learned how to point? Neighbor's SIL had one of those and he got hoppin' mad when we dubbed his Weim "The Grey Lab". But, what else do you call a Weim that retrieves and won't point?

OK then ..... I will walk between 35 and 40km this week, so I see several dogs on a daily basis while out with mine. I saw a pattern with labs, so I looked for a breed with less troubles and found it. Blaming me or the breeder is some funny.

Awesome. I’ve never seen a lab that was exercised properly become fat and the joint thing can be all but eliminated by choosing a breeder who tests properly and breeds accordingly. But your anecdotal evidence will suffice. Congrats on the walking.
Airedale gets my vote

I know all 3 of the Cocker/Springer breeders/trainiers from Bismarck that I referenced earlier in this thread. Between the 3 of them occasionally there's an "Oops" breeding of a springer with a cocker. Happens when somebody doesn't catch a female in heat quickly enough. They've nicknamed the combo a "Sprocker". Before I owned him, my 1st male cocker sired such a litter in fact.

My dog and the mother springer were both very well pedigreed. That didn't make their mutt pups AKC anything other than mutts. They made great pets and hunting dogs, a friend got one of the females from the Oops litter.

There's no "Long Haired Red Lab" that's all Labrador Retriever. In fact, given your "Red Lab's" narrow head, a bit of Irish Setter isn't out of the realm of possibility either.

I know all 3 of the Cocker/Springer breeders/trainiers from Bismarck that I referenced earlier in this thread. Between the 3 of them occasionally there's an "Oops" breeding of a springer with a cocker. Happens when somebody doesn't catch a female in heat quickly enough. They've nicknamed the combo a "Sprocker". Before I owned him, my 1st male cocker sired such a litter in fact.

My dog and the mother springer were both very well pedigreed. That didn't make their mutt pups AKC anything other than mutts. They made great pets and hunting dogs, a friend got one of the females from the Oops litter.

There's no "Long Haired Red Lab" that's all Labrador Retriever. In fact, given your "Red Lab's" narrow head, a bit of Irish Setter isn't out of the realm of possibility either.

Might as well save your breath - he doesn't want to hear it, or believe it.
Best dog I ever had is in my avatar, a heeler/sheepdog mutt purchased for $15 as a puppy at a South Texas feed store. Easy to train, completely devoted, in the woods all day I never had to say a word, she read hand signals and gestures.

My one sister bred the blue heeler I gave her to an Australian Shepherd, both good dogs, a great litter of pups. One of them saved its owner when she got cornered in a stall by a beef heifer that was repeatedly butting her. Attracted by her yelling the dog came running, jumped on the heifer and started biting it around the ears, causing it to back off. It wasn’t trained for that, just did it on the spur of the moment.

These generic heeler/herding breed mutts are common in ranch country, recently given the moniker “Texas Heeler”. Were I looking for a dog that’s where I’d look first.

In the days of newspapers the classifieds down here were the place to look, typically “working parents, on site.”, less than $200.

https://usserviceanimals.org/blog/texas-heeler-breed-overview/
Posted By: Sheister Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/15/21
Well, as usual for a campfire thread, this has gone completely off the rails so I might as well throw in a completely off the wall suggestion to make it interesting.

My Daughter in Law is somewhat of a dog enthusiast and researches the heck out of dogs before committing to one. She worked for vets for quite some time and several breeders and knows the good and bad of most breeds and what to watch for- in temperament and in genetic lines that can cause issues like joint problems, cancers, and other maladies that seem to haunt particular dogs. She and I have had some "spirited" discussions about rescue dogs. She is adamant that if people just bought their dogs from reputable breeders , there wouldn't be the health problems that many dogs seem to have. My contention is that rescue dogs need a family too and are quite often extremely loyal, loving dogs that love their family if you choose well... we choose to agree to disagree, though I have no problem with her purebred dogs, even though I sometimes question the fact my son has to pay the ridiculous prices purebreds are getting these days....

But enough of that... my son and DIL have a thing for smashed face dogs (and cats) and she has been dealing with and breeding Pugs for quite some time off and on- not as a business proposition. The last time she had a litter of pugs, she also got a Bull Mastiff pup about the same age and they have grown up together as brothers. But the Pug rules the roost most of the time, which is funny as hell- watching a 10 lb dog grab hold of a 130 lb dog's jowls and raise hell because he was messing with something she had laid claim to... But the thing is, I've always loved dogs, but my wife isn't a dog person. But my son's Bull Mastiff is the coolest dog I've ever been around. You will never find a more loving dog or family dog than a Bull Mastiff. They are dust collectors most of the time, unless someone comes to the door that they don't recognize or someone tries to get aggressive with their people. They don't bite, they are bred to be the "groundskeepers' friend" in England originally the way I hear the story. They will jump up at an aggressor, knock them over with their huge front paws and legs, and stand over them with their huge head in the poachers face until the groundskeeper can catch up and effect an action. They crate well and train exceptionally well. They want attention and to love their owners so badly they will try to get inside your skin to get as close to you as possible. It is comical and sometimes uncomfortable having a 130 lb lap dog, but that is what he thinks he is. Not much for hunting as "smash faced dogs" don't breathe well and can't be run for long distances or in the heat. But no dog I've ever met will love your family as much as one of these big lugs...
Posted By: JeffP Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/15/21

Breeders that don’t dq these dogs from breeding are the problem. The other problem is $ . AKC just cares about the money from registering litters. Breed standards be damned.
tag page 4
Posted By: deflave Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/15/21

LOL

AVOID.

I thought that Silver Labs were Weimaraners that hadn't learned how to point? Neighbor's SIL had one of those and he got hoppin' mad when we dubbed his Weim "The Grey Lab". But, what else do you call a Weim that retrieves and won't point?

Worthless.

The perfect breed for people that don't know schit.
Posted By: sse Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/15/21
you have to research the breed and the potential breeders you get it from. dog folks in the know are more than happy to share information
Posted By: las Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/15/21
Originally Posted by Dess
A happy Lab tail can sweep a shelf, coffee table, and a toddler all in one cycle. smile

Any good dog can wash your face, French kiss you , and clean your nose out with one good swipe. Usually after licking him/herself or eating something rank.... smile

Honey HalfLab is half the size of a Lab- 45 lbs.

Posted By: Valsdad Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/15/21

Breeders that don’t dq these dogs from breeding are the problem. The other problem is $ . AKC just cares about the money from registering litters. Breed standards be damned.

crittrgittr,

In short, the problem is this "Breeders that don’t dq these dogs from breeding are the problem.".

The dogs are a result of two copies of a recessive gene, which disqualifies them from the show ring, which is intended to better the breed according to the "Standard" for labs. Of course, that doesn't mean a "long haired red lab" isn't a Lab, it just means it doesn't meet the breed standard.

A long haired Lab is a Labrador Retriever with two copies of a recessive gene which causes them to grow a longer, finer, wavier coat than typical Labradors.

Long coated Labs are still purebred dogs which can be entered onto breed registries. But their coats disqualify them from the show bench.

That story goes on to say they are still Labs though. And can be registered as such, but they don't meet the Breed Standard and can't be shown in the US, Britain, and Australia:

https://www.thelabradorsite.com/long-haired-lab/

I'm sure there's other websites about the issue also.

But, not meeting the standard is kind of a no-no in the dog world, otherwise why have a standard in the first place.

Kind of like with our whippets. My wife had a gorgeous bitch, that did fairly well in some shows as a junior, and at one coursing event one of the Bay Area whippet club officers looked at her before a race and said "Damn, she really is a fine looking bitch" . But she was never bred because cryptorchidism (one or both testicles don't descend) ran in her lines, due to her breeder not attempting to weed it out. Great dog, multiple other titles in Obedience, Coursing, Rally, and such but not in the show ring. Yes, still a whippet, but not a candidate for improving the breed according to the Standard.

Geno, thanks for that link to the article it was pretty interesting.
The best companion/pet dogs I've had have been rescue mutts. The worst/dumbest have been registered dogs. I've had two beagles that made my registered shepherd look positively stupid. I'm sure they actually understood more words in the English language than many campfire members.
Geno, thanks for that link to the article it was pretty interesting.

You're more than welcome.

It just goes to show one, that a dog can be a certain breed, and even be considered "purebred", but not be what most folks think of.

The disqualify blue eyes in some breeds, and allow them in others.

Dachshunds have smooth, long, and wirehaired as well as mini and standard sizes.

Can get to be a bit of a pain in the ass if you ask me!
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/15/21
There’s never been any funny business in animal breeding, be it dogs or cows or whatever. Like somebody above said, all AKC cares is you pay your money and they’ll give you the registration paper. No proof as to what the lineage actually is.

I’ve got a litter of silver labs if anybody is interested.

There’s never been any funny business in animal breeding, be it dogs or cows or whatever. Like somebody above said, all AKC cares is you pay your money and they’ll give you the registration paper. No proof as to what the lineage actually is.

LOL !!! Truth too.
The breed association I admire is that of the Kelpie. No physical breed standard, solely judged on ability.

I recall Jack Russels and heelers before they were recognized and bred to a physical standard. Before that they were best thought of as “types” rather than breed, and varied in dimensions quite a bit.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
The best companion/pet dogs I've had have been rescue mutts. The worst/dumbest have been registered dogs. I've had two beagles that made my registered shepherd look positively stupid. I'm sure they actually understood more words in the English language than many campfire members.

A common theme among broke dick losers.
The breed association I admire is that of the Kelpie. No physical breed standard, solely judged on ability.

I recall Jack Russels and heelers before they were recognized and bred to a physical standard. Before that they were best thought of as “types” rather than breed, and varied in dimensions quite a bit.

Yeah I mean, who doesn’t want a Blue Heeler or Jack Russell?

LOL

San Antonio specials.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

LOL !!! Truth too.

I've got a litter of Cockayorkiepoohunds around here somewhere.

Only $1700 for the males.

Females are $2K cause you can breed 'em with a [bleep] and get even more money for the pups.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/15/21
Originally Posted by Valsdad

LOL !!! Truth too.

Females are $2K cause you can breed 'em with a [bleep] and get even more money for the pups.

That’s my uncles business model. And he laughs all the way to the bank. “This one here is a tri-color so it is another $1000”
Got a Mountain Cur 5 weeks ago.

She is a Stone Cold Bittch... even named her Miss Lillie SCB.

She is 3 month now. Hell of a nose on her and fearless... she will fight my Australian Shepherd for hours... even grab his cock and balls when she can. 14 pounds vs. 54.

And the Sheppard ain't no whip. Kills squirrels on the fly and groundhogs in the open.

Both breeds are damn smart... quick and tough.

We are NOT city people... so keep that in mind... our dogs work.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/15/21

How could my wife say no to 'Marlee' 12 yrs ago....

Her mom got shot for chasing sheep.......

12+ yrs later....Marlee has slowed down....

But has proven to be a good ole girl.....

[Yeah I mean, who doesn’t want a Blue Heeler or Jack Russell?

LOL

Beagle/Mini Pin, one of the best-kept secrets in dogdom 😎

Since I don't hang around with losers I'll have to admit not being qualified to argue with your obvious expertise in the matter. Perhaps if you didn't drink so much and could learn not to be such an abrasive ass hole you might attract a better class of friends. Just a little friendly food for thought.
[Yeah I mean, who doesn’t want a Blue Heeler or Jack Russell?

LOL

Beagle/Mini Pin, one of the best-kept secrets in dogdom 😎

Geeze, people actually breed these things on purpose.... “meagles”... I didn’t know they actually existed.

https://www.dogbreedplus.com/dog_breeds/meagle.php
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Starting search for a dog - 01/16/21
Originally Posted by Valsdad

LOL !!! Truth too.

That’s my uncles business model. And he laughs all the way to the bank. “This one here is a tri-color so it is another $1000”

whistle

The smarter the breed, the smarter the owner needs to be. Otherwise the dog spends its time manipulating its stupid owner. Dumb dogs seem to fare better with owners who are on the same intellectual plane. Shepherds are smart, and beagles are dumb.

Sounds like you should dog better.

I’d imagine that in most cases if someone has a beagle that’s outperforming a dog whose breed has years and years of selective breeding specifically for trainability, that the person handling them is beyond incapable.

Fortunately I don’t have to back this up with experience or evidence as artificial selection has already done it for me.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

The smarter the breed, the smarter the owner needs to be. Otherwise the dog spends its time manipulating its stupid owner. Dumb dogs seem to fare better with owners who are on the same intellectual plane. Shepherds are smart, and beagles are dumb.

Mic drop.
To the op, get a mutt.
Pets are pets, to think you can get a hunting dog and not hunt it religiously is foolish.

I raised and trained beagles for rabbit hunting for 30 years. I've had beagles that were dumb and others that were very smart. You'd have done well to be on the same intellectual plane with the dumb ones. Nobody on here is more gullible and stupid than you. If you weren't a complete and utter moron you would realize that. You've certainly had it pointed out enough times by many of the members here. It's always funny when the little retard kid calls somebody else stupid though.

I’d imagine that in most cases if someone has a beagle that’s outperforming a dog whose breed has years and years of selective breeding specifically for trainability, that the person handling them is beyond incapable.

Fortunately I don’t have to back this up with experience or evidence as artificial selection has already done it for me.
I've had registered dogs from some of the best bloodlines that turned out to be a disappointment. Much as your parents undoubtedly felt about you.

Since I don't hang around with losers...

I do believe that... even losers have minimum standards.
Originally Posted by CashisKing

You are a petty little man like many here. Openly part of the pack mentality that is so prevalent among today's neutered beta male. You might better spend time finding someone to wash that big yellow stripe off the middle of your back rather than nipping at your superiors here.

I raised and trained beagles for rabbit hunting for 30 years. I've had beagles that were dumb and others that were very smart. You'd have done well to be on the same intellectual plane with the dumb ones. Nobody on here is more gullible and stupid than you bicycle boy. If you weren't a complete and utter moron you would realize that. You've certainly had it pointed out enough times by many of the members here. It's always funny when the little retard kid calls somebody else stupid though.

Our Beagle, Daisy, is the smartest dog we have ever owned and we have had some smart dogs. She can tell time, that is, we feed her at 5:30, and every day about 5:28 she waltzes into the kitchen and looks up at the refrigerator. She had a big vocabulary, she knows her name, she knows the work "walk" she knows lots of words.

Also, sometimes we will be planning a drive with her and won't say "go for a ride" and won't grab up the car keys, but she gets amped up and stands by the door. I think she has esp. Very very smart dog.
So it appears a dog fight has broken out in the dog thread, how charming.

You are a petty little man like many here. Openly part of the pack mentality that is so prevalent among today's neutered beta male. You might better spend time finding someone to wash that big yellow stripe off the middle of your back rather than nipping at your superiors here.

Can you still suck a golf ball thru a garden hose... or did the Covid effect you lung capacity?
Originally Posted by akasparky
So it appears a dog fight has broken out in the dog thread, how charming.

10 pages of opinions... no way the OP is still seeking wisdom on the matter.

I raised and trained beagles for rabbit hunting for 30 years. I've had beagles that were dumb and others that were very smart. You'd have done well to be on the same intellectual plane with the dumb ones. Nobody on here is more gullible and stupid than you. If you weren't a complete and utter moron you would realize that. You've certainly had it pointed out enough times by many of the members here. It's always funny when the little retard kid calls somebody else stupid though.

This seems like a good time to remind you of two things. 1. I am not the one who is too damn dumb to train the world's third smartest dog breed. B. You can't seem to quit me. At last count I had made your ignore list two different times. If you don't care for the comments of someone who doesn't suffer mental and emotional midgets lightly, I'd recommend you usher me back over to your ignore list.

This seems like a good time to remind you of two things. 1. I am not the one who is too damn dumb to train the world's third smartest dog breed. B. You can't seem to quit me. At last count I had made your ignore list two different times. If you don't care for the comments of someone who doesn't suffer mental and emotional midgets lightly, I'd recommend you usher me back over to your ignore list.
All dogs of a breed are not of equal intelligence, much like people.

Can you still suck a golf ball thru a garden hose... or did the Covid effect you lung capacity?
Juvenile as always. It's all you've got.

All dogs of a breed are not of equal intelligence, much like people.

Tell yourself whatever you need to.

I've had registered dogs from some of the best bloodlines that turned out to be a disappointment. Much as your parents undoubtedly felt about you.

All I keep hearing is you can’t train a dog. But feel free to keep providing evidence.

Thinking Beagle, Vizsla, Brittany Spaniel, Lab...

A non-shedding Labrador? That's pretty comical and I wish you luck finding one of those. If I'd paid more attention in Home Economics as a 3rd grader during the 'make your own stuffed critter' days, I could've now had a roomful of large teddies jammed full of Lab hair stuffing.

We have a pair of Labs and they're about as good of dogs as I could ever have hoped for, as hunters and just as wonderful, super smart, protective dogs when in the house and everywhere else we take them. Anyway, point is, I've been around Labs for decades, own two now and I'm here to tell you that Labs shed. A LOT.
© 24hourcampfire