-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 73 of 116 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 115 116
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, I love golf. Golf, fishing, hunting, and skiing are my passions (not necessarily in that order).
I didn't take up the game until I was 30. I wish I had started earlier, as it would have been another thing I could have done with my dad, but when I was younger I figured it was just an old man's game.
Arnold Palmer once said that golf was the most difficult game in the world to learn to play well, and my own experience supports that. It is an incredibly tough game to play - the learning curve is glacially slow - and that's part of the attraction. There's always room for improvement, and that brings you back for the next round.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Obligatory post to super-popular thread.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Trav,

Ditch the cart (when the girls aren't with you) !

Really good for you to walk.

For bogey golf, a 3.5 mile course ='s over 4 miles of walking.

I don't golf for exercise.

I golf to golf.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by krp
I've been an outside guy my whole life, grew up surrounded by cotton, alfalfa, maze fields, citrus groves by the mile, canals and ditches, we had livestock, milk cows, horses, raised calves, rabbits. Had BB guns then 22s and shotguns. Our chores and play was outside.

What does that have to do with golf... golf is outside, the smell of grass, ponds, natures beauty, waterfowl... it just suits the eye to an outdoors person.

Then the personal challenge, it's the hardest thing to attempt, no one can master golf, I've seen Tiger Woods make a 10 on a par 3, the best can recover quickly from failure, the best are better than everyone else, they aren't better than golf itself. I suppose if someone played a round and birdied every hole, they could claim to have mastered it for a round... never happen.

There is nothing negative to being outside for an extended period and working on physical dexterity/self discipline/concentration. Only thing that comes close to it in the hunting/fishing world is archery and archery isn't as hard.

Get your kids and grandkids out there through some of the programs, support if they want to continue. You can't go fishing all the time or camping or hunting, but you can hit the links or the driving range for an hour or two any afternoon with the kids.

Kent

Kent,

I agree with all of this and I will add that wherever I have lived I have tried to take advantage of the things that are immediately available.

I am glad I started golfing here and not somewhere else because the idea of a cut off month would drive me crazy right now.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by krp
I've been an outside guy my whole life, grew up surrounded by cotton, alfalfa, maze fields, citrus groves by the mile, canals and ditches, we had livestock, milk cows, horses, raised calves, rabbits. Had BB guns then 22s and shotguns. Our chores and play was outside.

What does that have to do with golf... golf is outside, the smell of grass, ponds, natures beauty, waterfowl... it just suits the eye to an outdoors person.

Then the personal challenge, it's the hardest thing to attempt, no one can master golf, I've seen Tiger Woods make a 10 on a par 3, the best can recover quickly from failure, the best are better than everyone else, they aren't better than golf itself. I suppose if someone played a round and birdied every hole, they could claim to have mastered it for a round... never happen.

There is nothing negative to being outside for an extended period and working on physical dexterity/self discipline/concentration. Only thing that comes close to it in the hunting/fishing world is archery and archery isn't as hard.

Get your kids and grandkids out there through some of the programs, support if they want to continue. You can't go fishing all the time or camping or hunting, but you can hit the links or the driving range for an hour or two any afternoon with the kids.

Kent

You put a whole different spin on it than anybody else that's been saying how much fun it is.

MAGA
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Trav,

Ditch the cart (when the girls aren't with you) !

Really good for you to walk.

For bogey golf, a 3.5 mile course ='s over 4 miles of walking.

I don't golf for exercise.

I golf to golf.

you mean it's not about the beer?

My "other brother" Eddie, folks used to honestly think we were related, came traipsing down the hall in HS with a letterman's jacket on. Little golf ball and tee on his letter. I said WTF, golf?

He said "We get to take off early on practice days, we find someone to buy us some brewskis, and we walk around the course with six packs in our bags. Beats football practice all to hell"

Outside of it being golf, I had a hard time arguing against his logic.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I live in a golf community, I can look out the window and see golfers out enjoying the time outside and at the same time see others walking their dog down the street holding a plastic bag of dogchit enjoying the time outside... how do you choose which is funner?

Kent

Last edited by krp; 01/14/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd choose C: not having neighbors close enough I'd even know what they did with their dog poop.

MAGA
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by krp
I live in a golf community, I can look out the window and see golfers out enjoying the time outside and at the same time see others walking their dog down the street holding a plastic bag of dogchit enjoying the time outside... how do you choose which is funner?

Kent

Like being in hell with your back broke......

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Used to play 3 times a week, back in Australia, love it & miss it.

Played 8 rounds, basically all corporate charity events, since coming to Canada (15 years now).

Yep, as above, I miss it, but ....................

There is just so, so much outdoor opportunity here.

Interestingly enough, I have still been able to score high 80's (boogie golf) each round, 5-10 more than my Australian handicap was.

Touch around the greens the main offender !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
you mean it's not about the beer?

for some, it is about that and skins

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by horse1

It means Paulina Gretzky looks amazing in white yoga pants and sports-bra for fact. It also means that she looks even BETTER out of those white clothes but I haven't any photo evidence.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Anytime we roll to a new page, someone needs to post up Paulina.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Like being in hell with your back broke......

Well, I lived over 40 years with acreage and never ending chores, it's a trade off for freedom to recreate more outdoors, and a good trade.

Kent

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
On a fugging golf course??

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

why wait for a new page ?

caught Conrad lookin at her

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Well, nobody lives on a golf course, it's private property, your property line may abut it.

Kent

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by krp
Well, nobody lives on a golf course, it's private property, your property line may abut it.

Kent

Fine by me.

I think I would be in a single wide someplace near other single wide's if I wasn't here.

Or someplace equally crappy.

I am MAGA.
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
That golf "fitting" ended up being quite the goat fugk.

I show up at my time and there are two Boomers hitting. Cobra had two bays reserved and they were both occupied. The manager of the driving range (ass hole to the extreme) is part of the sales pitch and offering free buckets of balls with each purchase.

There's a significant "we all know each other vibe" in the air and one of the two Boomer's must have a sore dick because holy cow is the Cobra rep sucking it for everything it's worth.

Poor bastard #1 slowly walks away and they ask my name. I affirm I have the 4:30 slot and the Cobra rep starts asking questions.

"What are you looking for today"

"I'd like to get fitted for irons."

"How long have you been golfing."

"Since July or August."

"AUGUST???"

"Yeah."

"Are these your clubs."

"Yeah."

"These are really good clubs."

"I think so."

(pulls six iron from bag)

"Did you have these re-gripped?"

"I re-gripped them but yes."

"I thought you were new to golf."

"I watched a YouTube video."

"OK, well hit 10 straight with your six iron and we'll take it from there. Not your Nine or Wedge, because everybody can hit those straight."

"Got it."

(10 hits straight as a fugking arrow down the imaginary fairway) I'm feeling exceptionally arrogant and as I turn around the guy tells me that anybody that can hit irons that straight doesn't need new irons.

He quickly diverts to a Driver sales pitch.

It went south from there.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
That went exactly how I suspected it would....with less nudity though.

I am MAGA.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Drivers are like cell phones and computers, the state of the art one 6 months ago is out dated and no good, worth 50 bucks... here's the new 500 dollar one...

Don't fall for it.

Kent

Page 73 of 116 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 115 116

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

395 members (160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 35 invisible), 2,029 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,374
Posts18,488,432
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.