Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Hammer1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

What is the greatest spectator shooting sport ?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hammer1

Muzzle-loading cannon competitions - especially if the targets are dynamite or equivalent.
--Bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Prairie doggin.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ladies on horses shooting them balloons in Cowboy shooting events.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Being the spotter on a sniper team in Iraq?

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In Europe without a doubt Winter Biathlon events - some 1000 spectators at the range (they "count" every hit) and some million on TV. Biathlon and the great successes of the German teams (female and Male) of course brought otherwise neglected "shooting" back to otherwise uninterested people.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BullShooter

Muzzle-loading cannon competitions - especially if the targets are dynamite or equivalent.
--Bob

I never thought about that, but the cannon shooting would get my vote. Anything involving scores is pretty boring unless you have a personal interest in the competitive aspects of the game. Paper punching comes to mind.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'd guess it would be the Grand American Trap Shoot which was formally held in Vandalia, Ohio (USA). There were upwards of 20,000-25,000 shooters plus SEVERAL times that many spectators from all over the world at the annual 8-10 day event which took place in August each year.

Unfortunately, due to some MAJOR BUMBLING on the part of the local Dayton politicians (in nearby Dayton, Ohio) who control the Dayton International Airport property (located in Vandalia, but controlled by the City of Dayton) and on edge of whose property the Grand American Trapshoot traps were installed and the trapshoot was held, the A.T.A. (American Trapshooting Association) was forced to move to Illnois after being at their Vandalia home for most of the 20th. century.

That move was a major economic "blow" to the entire area since it meant that 20,000-25,000 people didn't come and stay for 10 days in the area motels, didn't eat in the area restaurants, didn't shop in the area stores and didn't buy gasoline and other products & supplies that people buy on a day to day basis.

Since this many people represented at least a 10% increase in local population for the duration of the Grand American, the economic "fall-out" is still being counted.

And this totally disregards and doesn't count the Ohio State Trap Shoot which was held on the same ATA trap grounds in June of each year that has also had to find trap-shooting facilities elsewhere as well.

So give the "bright" (?!?) politicians down in Dayton another "feather" in their "Goof-Ball" caps for blowing off several thousand trapshooters who came to the Ohio Trap Shooter's Associaton Trap Shoot in June as well.

Those of us who can't vote your miserable azzes out of office give "Thanks" you aren't governing us.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My vote goes to the action pistol sports, probably the Steel Challenge at the top of the list followed by IPSC.

Like anything else, you really need to participate in both at some point to appreciate how good the top guns in either really are. Once you have that appreciation though, the really good guys are a sight to behold.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I always thought the beauty of the shooting sports is that I could be a participant rather than a spectator.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Pigeon shoots!

The unarmed man is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by horse1
I always thought the beauty of the shooting sports is that I could be a participant rather than a spectator.

Well said.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

57 members (1_deuce, 338Rules, AdventureBound, 406_SBC, 9 invisible), 1,493 guests, and 799 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,450
Posts18,507,945
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.