-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The first ever center fire rifle I got was a 223 abolt hunter, I still have it. It's a nice rifle that my sons shot while they were growing up and learning to shoot. I bought it with the same thoughts...I can shoot some cheap milsurp that just go bang. The problem is, I quickly got bored with the wide groups from milsurp and cheap ammo, and started reloading.

Someone once said, only accurate rifles are interesting. And, I think, it's up to the shooter to define their own definition of accuracy which will result in what they find interesting.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Right now it's getting hard to find any kind of bolt action 223 around here, they are flying off the shelves, dealers ain't dealing either. Even the savage 223 axis is getting hard to find where a month ago they were everywhere cheap.
The Rem 783's were under 300 hun but I let em slip away, I don't like the long action of the savage so that is out.
But that Walnut 783, is/was a nice rifle.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
...Someone once said, only accurate rifles are interesting. And, I think, it's up to the shooter to define their own definition of accuracy which will result in what they find interesting.

Townsend Whelen

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A 223 is on my shopping list. I've got the dies (used to have a 223 Contender barrel), been saving range brass, and I have lots of .224 bullets. I'll probably try to pick up a used rifle. It all depends on what we get for new legislation... doesn't look pretty....

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I wonder if the TC compass is an alright shooter?
I hear Ruger American's are usually decent.
I think it's going to be between these 2 for me, the 783's are already gone, full price too.

IC B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
For value I would start and end with a Savage.

But I would probably get a used Rem 700 sps, shoot the crap out of it, and then use it to build a custom piece later down the road.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I looked at the Savages again today< not for me. The Howa's were nice too and about the same deal as the TC's. so
I bought a new TC Venture II All Weather this morning, nice rifle, already shot some groups this afternoon in the backyard.
Shot some 3 shot grps under 3/4" with 52gr Match Speer's., the stock is a half rubber half plastic type material, solid compared to the others I tried, barrel is Floated & straight in the stock. I put a 3x9 40 on it, it's threaded with a protector on.
3 lug bolt so very short turn and the empty is flying out. Smooth going in bit slower going down., but can easily shoot from from my shoulder. Don't know if 5R rifleing is a thing or not but not any copper in the bore when done. Trigger is a dandy no creep, light pull I was impressed. Shoots 223/5.56 just like my AR. New rig for keeping in the SxS all winter.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by doubleDs55
I looked at the Savages again today< not for me. The Howa's were nice too and about the same deal as the TC's. so
I bought a new TC Venture II All Weather this morning, nice rifle, already shot some groups this afternoon in the backyard.
Shot some 3 shot grps under 3/4" with 52gr Match Speer's., the stock is a half rubber half plastic type material, solid compared to the others I tried, barrel is Floated & straight in the stock. I put a 3x9 40 on it, it's threaded with a protector on.
3 lug bolt so very short turn and the empty is flying out. Smooth going in bit slower going down., but can easily shoot from from my shoulder. Don't know if 5R rifleing is a thing or not but not any copper in the bore when done. Trigger is a dandy no creep, light pull I was impressed. Shoots 223/5.56 just like my AR. New rig for keeping in the SxS all winter.

Great Choice! I really like my Venture and Compass rifles. Good performance and value!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by TxJW
Originally Posted by doubleDs55

Great Choice! I really like my Venture and Compass rifles. Good performance and value!

I was thinking of the Ruger American but the Venture really stood out as well built compared to anything else in that $$ range. The Houge stock is 10x better than the air rifle stocks of some others.
Pillar bedded & very stiff, I might get another one in 243 if he can rebuild his inventory. Will get another magazine to slip in my pocket, it's a very shallow stock even compared to the compass which holds 1 more rd.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The best cheap Ive seen lately is the Remington(or late Remi) 783. shoots most loads into a 1/2 minute at 300M. I don't know if there still being produced.. Mine looks like a overused tool but its smooth, th trigger is good and it shoots. Only bad item is it come with a silly joke called a scope. But the rings are cheap but functional.. Good bargain.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I bought a Savage Axis in .223. Very accurate gun, 1 MOA at 100 yards. I use it for shooting sage rats in Eastern Oregon. Accuracy at a good price.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,480 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.