Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A friend has a 6.5 PRC Ruger chassis rifle of some sort that he claims is bughole accurate. He says it’s amazing for the money. I can’t verify his accuracy claims, but he is not a bullshitter. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
Ordered a Bergara B14 Ridge in 6.5 PRC a few days ago for $730. Excited to get it.

Where at if you don't mind? I'm wanting a PRC and leaning towards the Bergara with threaded bbl.

https://dahlonegaarmory.com/product/bergara-b14s509-6.5prc-ridge-tb-syn

2nd rifle I've bought from them. Click email for price and you get a coupon code in your email a few minutes later. I bought mine Wednesday morning, it shipped this morning, will be here Tuesday. Not bad.

O
O
Originally Posted by MCMXI
Once the stainless steel M18s are available here it'll be hard to pass up buying two or three. It's amazing what you get for around $450 with these rifles.

Yeah, mine may get a sibling then...

Stainless is harder and should have longer barrel life, right?

Enjoy the hunt, and share your stories - that is what its all about.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Define "break the bank"?

D
Derick Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
That a pertty good price

IC B2

D
Derick Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Well would like to stay 1000 to 1500 maybe on the right rifle

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
After taking another look at the M18 (no threaded muzzle) I ordered a Sako S20 Hunter in 6.5 PRC. I recently built a custom Kimber 8400 6.5 PRC that is proving to be an excellent rifle but wanted something that has every feature I look for in a bolt action rifle and the S20 was the only one I could find. I spent a fair amount of time at a local store looking at the Precision model but opted for the lighter Hunter model. It should be here in a week. The S20 is about as close to a lightweight Accuracy International as can be found and checks all of the boxes for me. With it's innovative modular design it can be reconfigured if my needs or wants change.

[Linked Image from thr.mcmxi.org]

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I bought a Vanguard First Lite from centerfireguns.com. Paid $808 shipped.

Rifle weighs 7.6lbs empty and naked. 8.2 w scope empty.

26” threaded and fluted barrel. I thinks it’s a long action though. Hinged bottom metal internal magazine holds 5 rounds. I like the trigger. Fit and finish is nice. Balance is good. Not a lightweight, but not a heavyweight either.

I finally got brass for it yesterday, and I expect to be shooting it by this weekend. I’m excited to shoot it and hope it shoots as well as it looks and feels.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
After taking another look at the M18 (no threaded muzzle) I ordered a Sako S20 Hunter in 6.5 PRC. I recently built a custom Kimber 8400 6.5 PRC that is proving to be an excellent rifle but wanted something that has every feature I look for in a bolt action rifle and the S20 was the only one I could find. I spent a fair amount of time at a local store looking at the Precision model but opted for the lighter Hunter model. It should be here in a week. The S20 is about as close to a lightweight Accuracy International as can be found and checks all of the boxes for me. With it's innovative modular design it can be reconfigured if my needs or wants change.

Interesting. I really like the stainless/cerakote, integrated pic rail, and flush cups on a factory rifle. They put some thought into it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Interesting. I really like the stainless/cerakote, integrated pic rail, and flush cups on a factory rifle. They put some thought into it.

Excellent video from Sako talking about the development of the S20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kEs8Jd2xwo&feature=emb_title

This is the most well-executed and well thought out hunting rifle I've ever seen. I like the 60 degree bolt throw, locking bolt handle, 3-position safety, adjustable cheek rest, adjustable recoil pad, QD cups, hammer forged barrel, easy change butt stock and/or forend, 2-stage trigger option, thumb rest option, excellent double stack magazine design that allows for generous COL and an internal geometry that engages the shoulder of the cartridge to stop forward movement during recoil, adjustable trigger pull and position, and of course the aluminum skeleton. They even thought of different barrel channel inserts for different barrel profiles.

The S20 offers way more than any Bergara and for less money than many Bergara models. Two-lug 90 degree bolt lift with no locking bolt handle ... no thanks!

Here's the inside of the Hunter model showing the full-length aluminum chassis. Much of the S20 design has trickled down from the excellent TRG models.

[email protected]
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Derick
What’s the best brand out there that want break the bank thanks for the info

Don't know about the best as I've only owned one rifle chambered for the 6.5 PRC, however...............

I know Browning's don't get much luv here, but I've got Hells Canyon Speeds in 6.5 Creed and 26 Nosler that do the job just fine. When I decided to get a 6.5 PRC, my original intentions were to get the Christensen Ridgeline.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

However, the Browning Max Long Range was about 1/2 the price at my LGS.

I don't shoot much past 300 yds and it has turned out to be one of the most accurate rifles I own.

I'm not much on groups except for load development.

What I'm much more interested in is first shot out of a cold barrel.

As an aside, I traditionally shoot Nosler Accubonds across the spectrum of calibers I own, but I have recently been very pleased with the Hornady Black loaded with the 143 gr. VLD-X.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

You can get a 6.5 lb. Christensen Arms for around $1200 in 6.5 PRC. You can get a 6.25 lb. carbon fiber wrapped barrel one for $1800 in 6.5 PRC. Comes with carbon fiber stock, Trigger Tech trigger set at 2.5 # and pillar bedded. Ready to hunt, just needs a good scope. They come with a "< than 1 MOA" guarantee for what's that worth. I have one in 6.5 CM and find it easily meets their guarantee.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If you are interested in letting the Kimber 8400 go once you get your S20 (assuming that it shoots and feeds well), please let me know. I was thinking of sending one to Shaen to convert over, but would consider buying yours if you decide to sell it.

Thanks,
Craig

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
If you are interested in letting the Kimber 8400 go once you get your S20 (assuming that it shoots and feeds well), please let me know. I was thinking of sending one to Shaen to convert over, but would consider buying yours if you decide to sell it.

Thanks,
Craig

OK ... I'll let you know. I just dropped off both CF barrels to Proof yesterday to be engraved with 6.5 PRC 1:7.5 since they forgot to do it.

[email protected]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Didn’t go through every thread so you may have made a decision. I might be tempted to look at the Howa, They now offer 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC with threaded barrels. I believe they are 24” and 26” offerings. They sell barreled actions and would imagine they would cost around $500. You can then place your own desired stock and Acraglass bed it for great accuracy. Just another thought.

D
Derick Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Dang there’s a lot to take end lol don’t know what I want now lol

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

You can get a 6.5 lb. Christensen Arms for around $1200 in 6.5 PRC. You can get a 6.25 lb. carbon fiber wrapped barrel one for $1800 in 6.5 PRC. Comes with carbon fiber stock, Trigger Tech trigger set at 2.5 # and pillar bedded. Ready to hunt, just needs a good scope. They come with a "< than 1 MOA" guarantee for what's that worth. I have one in 6.5 CM and find it easily meets their guarantee.

While I like CA rifles I think most of them in PRC are weighing in at around 8-10oz heavier then advertised weight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CA Ridgeline, closest you can get to a factory rifle that rivals full custom.

Mine shot .5" during break in with factory 143ELDX

Sub .5" with handloads.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hicountry

Sub .5" with handloads.

My 6.5 PRC Mesa does the same. Most accurate rifle Ive ever owned.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by hicountry

Sub .5" with handloads.

It's one of a few...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

471 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 257_X_50, 1Longbow, 22kHornet, 55 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,743
Posts18,495,111
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.