Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a M70 270 WSM in a McMillan carbon stock and really like it. If I wanted something with less than a 24" barrel I would look at a smaller capacity cartridge, like a 7-08 or a 6.5 Creedmoor. The 300 WSM can be snappy in a light rifle like the Tikka T3 Light. The 270 WSM I don't notice much difference in recoil from a 270 Win. unless I am doing long strings of 50+ off the bench.

For a short and light rifle the RCM might be a better match. With anything now line up some brass and components before taking the plunge.

HR IC

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I ended up with a model 7 in 7mm-08 and have one on the way in 300 SAUM. I really like the M77 compact green laminate and stainless, but they seem few and far between.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've owned 5 300wsm and never had a feeding problem. But, none were Remingtons.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a model seven XCR in 300 wsm that feeds like butter but I don't doubt that they had their issues.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by snowboardguy
I have a model seven XCR in 300 wsm that feeds like butter but I don't doubt that they had their issues.

I have a 700 BDL SS 300 WSM, that the bolt open was hard as hell on. Got some advice about three years ago on here to take bolt a part. It had a piece of brass stuck in it. Removed it and it’s great now. I bought the gun used, and I bet the original owner had never cleaned it.

Last edited by Hudge; 03/14/21.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shinbone
Of the short mags, the 300WSM is probably the best established and the most easily sourced brass. And, it is a great hunting cartridge in its own right, too.

Not saying there are not other good options, just that the 300WSM is a good "starter" short mag.

I agree. Brad mentions the 6.5 PRC, but that thing is a damn barrel burner from the word start...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WAM
You best have a supply of ammo or components or you’ll end up with a safe queen. Happy Trails

I don’t know. I can find plenty of components for 300 WSM, and factory ammo here for the 270 WSM. Reloading components for the 270 WSM, well not so easy. I got 80 pieces of once fired brass from a forum member and with what I had and my stash of factory ammo, I am good. A round I said I’d never repaid for, i now reload for more that any other I own.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
I like the 7mm saum

Me too

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My stainless 338 RCM-PRC-LMNOP weighs about the same as a 30-30 model 94, holds 4 rounds down and launches 225 grain federal fusions to 2720 fps with 59 grains of reloader 16.

Completely compressing the factory trigger spring a half dozen times, brought the already crisp trigger to 2 lbs 2 ounces.

This little powerhouse is really just a short action 338-06.

Never smile too much about a dmn hunting rifle, but one hole 3-5 shot 100yd groups do make me smile.

I'll smile a little more when that walnut Hawkeye hunter stock arrives from Ruger, get rid of that darned plastic.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 03/14/21.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
I have a (gasp) Browning A-Bolt in 300WSM with a 22" barrel. Handles good, shoots good, feeds good.

I have a couple of 700-270 WSM’s. They seem to feed fine.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Brad

I'd never do a WSM on a Remington action. You're better off with the SAUM in that platform.

I agree. However, when I ordered my Borden 300 WSM build, Mr. Borden failed to mention he would have an intermediate action coming out within a year. Still, I really like the Alpine action & it serves my purpose perfectly with my chosen load.

My next Borden build will be a 7 RSAUM.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would not go as short as a 20" barrel on any of them without a can. Pick your action and then the cartridge. The WSMs feed fine in my Model 70s, the SAUM can also feed well in the Remington's. I have not tried the RCM but would assume they feed fine in the Rutger's.

I don't find any of them to beat the standard cartridges by any measurable amount. The SAUM are virtually the same as their respective AI cartridges and the RCM are similar with hand loads. The WSMs don't equal the belted magnums but any differences would not be discernible in the field.

My picks would be one of the 6.5s or 270s. These seem a better match for a shorter lighter rifle. The 300's start to get a noticeable amount of recoil in a light weight rifle. Muzzle blast starts to be an issue in much shorter than a 22-23" barrel. Just my preferences.

I like the 270 WSM in a M70 feather weight enough that I pulled the plug on a new actual feather weight barrel with a 1-8 twist. It may not best the 270 Win. by all that much but with heavier bullets it could be interesting. I think I can open the magazine to 3.2" if needed.

If building one now and I didn't have the others I think I would do the 6.5 PRM or more likely a 6.5 SAUM. This is like a short 6.5x270 AI which is a good place to be. Stock up on brass first though.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
[quote=mainer_in_ak]My stainless 338 RCM-PRC-LMNOP weighs about the same as a 30-30 model 94, holds 4 rounds down and launches 225 grain federal fusions to 2720 fps with 59 grains of reloader 16.

Wow thats fast in a 20" 338 RCM I just break 2600 with 61 GR RL 17 and 225 GR Nosler partions or Accubonds. Standardized that load shoots great in a LH 338 RCM and a RH 338 RCM. Quite a rifle for a Leftie!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

One of my favorite rifles is a custom 300 wsm and another one is my 7 wsm Montana. The 300wsm with 215g Berger hybrids at 2800 fps from a 24" barrel is a dragon slayer. The 300 wsm will also run 150g ttsx Barnes bullets at 3400 fps over superformance. Weve killed lots of elk with the 300 wsm and 180g accubonds at 3000 fps but I found the 200 NAB at 2900 fps to work better for me.

My 7 wsm will outperform my 7 rem mags with all bullet weights. I have another Montana in 270 wsm I thought of doing a 6.5 prc or 4s on but the more I think about it I may just do another 7 wsm but go 8 twist. The 8400 short mag action is a great platform for a short mag. Find a donor and just rebarrel it in a factory dupe fast twist in your favorite short mag.

However, I've had a few 700 bdl ss rifles in 7 saum and really regret selling both of them. The 7 saum is a great performer and well designed little case. The 7 wsm beats it by about 100 fps but the 7 saum just has something appealing to me about it.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 03/15/21.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
For all youse who value the WSMs, go to Gunbroker - there's a bunch of 'em offered for sale and most are rather cheap... Just a tip - nuthin' more.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have the 7mm WSM in an 1885 Winchester. May be the most accurate rifle I own excluding a Cooper and a couple of Christensen Arms. But to be truthful, there isn't a lot of difference in accuracy between the rifles. Haven't had any trouble finding brass yet, but haven't bought any in the last year either. I have had ABSOLUTELY no problem with feeding issues with the 1885 in this caliber. wink

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
If long range isn't a priority, don't count out the original short mag. 350 Remington Magnum, I can't imagine a better woods rifle than the Model Seven with 20 inch barrel. It's what I grab more often than not when heading into thick timber. Factory ammo of course is an issue if not reloading.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Got my first shorty last year, ruger 7 saum, really like it, shoots great, feels great, good rifle for the shiit weather we endure up here. 👍
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This schit never ain't not fhuqking HILARIOUS,as The Paper Hat Brigade does their best. Hint. LAUGHING!

If only as per always,boolits matter wayyyyyyy more than headstamps. Hint.

RPM,Throat Geometry and COAL mechanically set that stage,none of which is subjective. Adding noise,recoil,weight,fhuqking up balance AND handling,while reducing rounds in the magwell,do NOT "increase" "effectiveness",if only to the chagrin and tears of Crying Karens everywhere. Doubly so,when sporting mechanically compromised glass,suspect mounting systems and Dog Schit boolits. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint. LAUGHING!

If/when speaking modest barrel length,264 Kreedmire Factory Fodder will crowd 2700fps with a .697BC. 'Course,few things are as unsettling to Crying Karens as a numerical aero form designator's Facts. Admittedly,the 264 Prick will grant an extra 215fps over the counter,with the same boolit and if that horns someone up,they'll laughingly sell it to you. Hint. Laughing!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

It is hardly "daunting" to schlep a parcel chambered same,that will do it all and easily. Fact is,I've not assembled yet another one in but a coupla days. Mounting system is Skookum. Bullet steering mechanics Skookum. RPM,Throat Geometry and COAL Skookum. Balance/handling Skookum. (4rds) Smooching a .697BC in a blind mag is Skookum. 'Course it shoots rather WELL,given those mechanical constants too. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint. LAUGHING!

I reckon that's why Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqks go well outta their way to refrain boolit particulars. Being it's the only "move" they've "got". Hint. LAUGHING!

Coming full circle to the OP,the Model Seven is a bitter pill mechanically. If only because RPM,Throat Geometry and COAL mechanically set that stage,none of which is subjective. Doubly so,if/when talking Factory Fodder,that will all suck ass compared to the 264 Kreedmire 147 Factory Ammo. Pardon facts being so unsettling. Hint. LAUGHING!

Seven handles routinely suck ass,which is yet another bitter pill. Though it's hardly "daunting" to swap same out and even increase COAL ala AICS DBM,to help align mechanics for boolits. Don't forget to notch the feed ramp,for said clearance and radius the exhaust port too. Hint. Laughing!

Them mechanical improvements a given,it ALWAYS returns full circle back to boolits. ALL 264 Kreed's are 8" RPM as a minimum and despite the .199" SALAMI freebore,you can Smooch a .697BC in a binderless AICS SALAMI chamber. Hint. Laughing!

Soooooooooooo in retrospect,DO tell whatch'er gonna fling in said Seven's? Take your time and give it some thought,because there's NO way it ain't gonna be funnier than fhuqk. Understand that I'm talking Ruger ShamWow with a Reupold FUNNY! Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your hearts for trying.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

I'd never do a WSM on a Remington action. You're better off with the SAUM in that platform.

Brad,
Why?

Remington 700/7’s feed WSM’s like chit.

True. Early M70's did too.

Only because of the egg shaped chambers. Bought a 300 WSM 70 Fwt in '02, hard to chamber the last 1/8", factory or reloads. It went to Winchester/Browning 2 or 3 times. The last time it came back with the feed ramp dremeled out and a note not to send it back. It got traded off on something. A few years later I read about the chambers being wonky.

It FED from the mag just fine, just a hell of a time getting the bolt closed.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, achlupsa, 35, 41rem, 3 invisible), 1,557 guests, and 835 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,323
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.