Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Louisville men's basketball great, Butch Beard, talks with university president about race

Jan 14, 2021
Myron Medcalf

Butch Beard, one of the greatest players in Louisville basketball history, said he had a "nice" conversation with university president Neeli Bendapudi on Thursday after asking the school this week to strip his name from its records, citing concerns about the athletic department's hiring practices and its failure to acknowledge former Black players.

"I think there were a number of issues that were brought up that she's more aware of now than she was," Beard said.

However, Beard said he still wants his name removed "until I see change."

In a letter to Bendapudi on Wednesday, the former Louisville standout and NBA All-Star and champion said the school needed more Black coaches to serve as role models for its student-athletes.

"The university has been remiss and negligent in its hiring practices within the athletic department," Beard, a former college and NBA head coach, wrote in the letter obtained by ESPN. "No black role models exist for the student athletes playing men's basketball or football. You may think assistant coaches in these sports are sufficient. They are not. Players need and want head coaches to confide in on real life issues on and off the court. Respect comes from the top: the head coach.

"I speak from the experience I have had as that role model at two HBCU schools. I saw first generation black kids attend college and witnessed the type of guidance that's necessary. Not every black kid playing a sport has the promise or should have the promise of going professional. Many times this is the false narrative when the real goal should be getting an education. Without relatable guidance from a person who looks like you and has traveled this road, this imperative can be lost."

[Linked Image from a1.espncdn.com]
Butch Beard tallied 1,580 career points across three seasons at Louisville. Rich Clarkson/Getty Images

Both Charlie Strong and Ron Cooper have been Black head coaches for Louisville's football program. Chris Mack is the third head coach in the men's basketball program since Denny Crum was hired in 1971. All three have been white.

"I deeply appreciate the heartfelt letter from Mr. Beard," Bendapudi said in a statement released prior to her conversation with Beard on Thursday. "He is a Cardinal legend and will always be remembered for his many accomplishments on the court and in the classroom. Mr. Beard rightly points out that in the past, the university may not have always lived up to its responsibility to provide an equal opportunity to Black candidates seeking jobs at the highest levels of our athletic department.

"I can say with total confidence that [athletic director Vince Tyra] and I are committed to changing that narrative. Our goal is for the University of Louisville to achieve its full potential as an antiracist university. That means that no job candidate should ever have an advantage (or disadvantage) during the hiring process based on their race."

One complaint Beard had in his letter centered on what he called the school's failure to properly acknowledge former star Wes Unseld, Beard's roommate during their time at Louisville in the 1960s when they were two of the first African-American players in school history. His letter said the school had done a disservice to its Black athletes by not doing more to highlight some of the program's Black pioneers.

"I say the following both in sadness and anger but I feel I have no recourse," Beard, who coached the New Jersey Nets from 2004 to 2006 and had stints as a head coach at Howard and Morgan State, wrote in the letter. "Given the lack of acknowledgement to the legacy of former black players and the lack of commitment in diversity hiring, I am asking the university to remove my name and accomplishments from any existing or future mention. The university's commitment to young black men is far from what it should look like in 2021. I know the university in the past has attracted players by using my name, and although it may not be as relevant now, this for me is a matter of principle."

He told ESPN his concerns about the school's hiring practices extend beyond the major sports on campus. Beard, 73, said he hopes Louisville's leadership will make a stronger effort to diversify its hiring pools as more jobs open up at the school in the future.

"I want them to get to know some Black people," Beard told ESPN. "Whether they hire them or not, get to know them."

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Well...keep voting for democrats so that you can have lots of coaches instead of fathers.

Win win!

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There is far more identity politics poison than racism. He had no idea how much racism he was spouting. If they erased him without permission there would be even more screaming.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The easiest way to discredit an individual is to make it about the color of his or her skin.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Well...keep voting for democrats so that you can have lots of coaches instead of fathers.

Win win!

grin

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Oklahoma GOP senator James Lankford, defies Trump by calling for renaming military bases named for Confederate generals

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...ry-bases-named-for-confederate-generals/

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Sounds like Beard never learned how to think in college.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hookeye
Sounds like Beard never learned how to think in college.

I'm thinking he is probably broke and Jones'en for a job as head coach at Louisville.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just join them. Walk around with a sign proclaiming " THE LEFT IS RIGHT, UNCLE BEN AND AUNT JAMIMA SHOULD BE WHITE". I wonder what those on the left would do when you say you are in agreement with them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
So a black athlete who has been honored for his achievements wants his name removed from the University because the don’t honor black athletes? confused

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Somehow it's always whitey's fault.

Going back 60 years.

Hmmmm,.....

One complaint Beard had in his letter centered on what he called the school's failure to properly acknowledge former star Wes Unseld, Beard's roommate during their time at Louisville in the 1960s when they were two of the first African-American players in school history. His letter said the school had done a disservice to its Black athletes by not doing more to highlight some of the program's Black pioneers.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
"But if Bieniemy, who is Black, is passed by again this offseason then the NFL will be left to confront an ugly truth: race still plays a role in how a lot of teams view candidates and keeps minorities from getting jobs they deserve." - Michael Star Tribune

Michael Rand: If Chiefs' Eric Bieniemy is passed over again, NFL will need to confront ugly truth

[Linked Image from stmedia.stimg.co]
Michael Rand, Star Tribune Jan 15, 2021

clic pic
[Linked Image from bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com]
Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy watches pregame warmups prior to the game against the Los Angeles Chargers at Arrowhead Stadium on December 29, 2019, in Kansas City, Missouri. (David Eulitt/Getty Images/TNS)

It's hard to say exactly what is more insulting or ludicrous: A tweeted report suggesting there's a "very strong chance" Kansas City offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy won't get a head coaching job again this offseason OR the reasons offered for that suggestion.

The tweet in question from The Draft Scout's Matt Miller:

"Been texting with an NFL source this morning who thinks there's a very strong chance Eric Bieniemy isn't hired for a HC opportunity this cycle," Miller tweeted. "Cites concern about Reid's coaching tree and timing w/Chiefs expected to make another SB run"

First, the fact that Bieniemy — who is in charge of the NFL's best offense and most dangerous QB, Patrick Mahomes —stands to get passed over for an opportunity again is absurd on merit.

Among the most obvious hires a team in need of a coach can make is to nab a high-level assistant from another team. There's none better than Bieniemy, whose offense fueled last year's Super Bowl run and has Kansas City in position to go back-to-back this year. Head coach Andy Reid calls the plays? Sure. But he's also praised Bieniemy for his acumen and leadership.

Beyond that, though, the two specific reasons outlined for passing him over are even more ridiculous (and note: this is not to blame Miller, who is merely the messenger).

Concerns about the Andy Reid coaching tree? Those branches are full of Super Bowl-winning coaches like John Harbaugh and Doug Pederson, plus coaches who have turned teams around like Sean McDermott and Matt Nagy. Compared to, say, the Bill Belichick coaching tree it's even more successful.

And yet Belichick assistants keep getting hired — some of them right after the Super Bowl, which brings us to the second assertion: that teams don't want to wait on Bieniemy because Kansas City might still be playing for a few more weeks.

Again, nonsense. Go back two cycles ago and you'll find assistants for the Patriots (Brian Flores) and Rams (Zac Taylor) who were named head coaches. The year before that, OC Frank Reich was hired by the Colts after leading the Eagles to a Super Bowl title. The year before that, OC Kyle Shanahan was hired by the 49ers after he helped the Falcons reach the Super Bowl.

Teams wait for the best candidates all the time. Because, you know, hiring a coach that helped a team reach the Super Bowl is a good mark on a resume.

There's no guarantee that Bieniemy will succeed as a head coach, but there is ample evidence that he deserves a chance.

Maybe the Texans will end up doing the right thing. They've added Bieniemy to their list of head coach interview candidates, quite possibly as a means of repairing their relationship with QB Deshaun Watson.

But if Bieniemy, who is Black, is passed by again this offseason the NFL will be left to confront an ugly truth: race still plays a role in how a lot of teams view candidates and keeps minorities from getting jobs they deserve.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Louisville men's basketball great, Butch Beard, talks with university president about race

Jan 14, 2021
Myron Medcalf

Butch Beard, one of the greatest players in Louisville basketball history, said he had a "nice" conversation with university president Neeli Bendapudi on Thursday after asking the school this week to strip his name from its records, citing concerns about the athletic department's hiring practices and its failure to acknowledge former Black players.

"I think there were a number of issues that were brought up that she's more aware of now than she was," Beard said.

However, Beard said he still wants his name removed "until I see change."

In a letter to Bendapudi on Wednesday, the former Louisville standout and NBA All-Star and champion said the school needed more Black coaches to serve as role models for its student-athletes.

"The university has been remiss and negligent in its hiring practices within the athletic department," Beard, a former college and NBA head coach, wrote in the letter obtained by ESPN. "No black role models exist for the student athletes playing men's basketball or football. You may think assistant coaches in these sports are sufficient. They are not. Players need and want head coaches to confide in on real life issues on and off the court. Respect comes from the top: the head coach.

"I speak from the experience I have had as that role model at two HBCU schools. I saw first generation black kids attend college and witnessed the type of guidance that's necessary. Not every black kid playing a sport has the promise or should have the promise of going professional. Many times this is the false narrative when the real goal should be getting an education. Without relatable guidance from a person who looks like you and has traveled this road, this imperative can be lost."

[Linked Image from a1.espncdn.com]
Butch Beard tallied 1,580 career points across three seasons at Louisville. Rich Clarkson/Getty Images

Both Charlie Strong and Ron Cooper have been Black head coaches for Louisville's football program. Chris Mack is the third head coach in the men's basketball program since Denny Crum was hired in 1971. All three have been white.

"I deeply appreciate the heartfelt letter from Mr. Beard," Bendapudi said in a statement released prior to her conversation with Beard on Thursday. "He is a Cardinal legend and will always be remembered for his many accomplishments on the court and in the classroom. Mr. Beard rightly points out that in the past, the university may not have always lived up to its responsibility to provide an equal opportunity to Black candidates seeking jobs at the highest levels of our athletic department.

"I can say with total confidence that [athletic director Vince Tyra] and I are committed to changing that narrative. Our goal is for the University of Louisville to achieve its full potential as an antiracist university. That means that no job candidate should ever have an advantage (or disadvantage) during the hiring process based on their race."

"I say the following both in sadness and anger but I feel I have no recourse," Beard, who coached the New Jersey Nets from 2004 to 2006 and had stints as a head coach at Howard and Morgan State, wrote in the letter. "Given the lack of acknowledgement to the legacy of former black players and the lack of commitment in diversity hiring, I am asking the university to remove my name and accomplishments from any existing or future mention. The university's commitment to young black men is far from what it should look like in 2021. I know the university in the past has attracted players by using my name, and although it may not be as relevant now, this for me is a matter of principle."

He told ESPN his concerns about the school's hiring practices extend beyond the major sports on campus. Beard, 73, said he hopes Louisville's leadership will make a stronger effort to diversify its hiring pools as more jobs open up at the school in the future.

"I want them to get to know some Black people," Beard told ESPN. "Whether they hire them or not, get to know them."

Apparently basketball doesn't improve ones intellect.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The University of Louisville has always been known in these parts as the Negro college, because they always had a much higher proportion of Black athlete's than Whites...........and this was way back before the Negro players began to dominate college basketball. I remember Beard as a high school player, and also as a college player. In typical Negro fashion, instead of being thankful for what the White man built that he could benefit from, he only sees what he wants to see.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
[quote=OrangeOkie]
Oklahoma GOP senator James Lankford, defies Trump by calling for renaming military bases named for Confederate generals

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...ry-bases-named-for-confederate-generals/[/quote

This renaming bases is absolute BS. Could screw with military rediness, cause confusion and the transitions will cost money we don't need to spend. This is the kind of crap that makes you realize we can no longer get along and the left cannot be dealt with peacefully.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Never heard of him. Just another negro.

Sam......

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve never heard of him either

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, I think he can safely be removed from our collective memories. In fact, please do!

Every once in a while, they blindly come up with a good idea.

Politics is War by Other Means
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
"Neeli Bendapudi " This isn't Onion?

Anti-racist and anti-semitic narratives are very effective politicially. So much so the jews went out and bought themselves a vice president.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1minute, 71 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,190
Posts18,503,409
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.