Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CCCC
This may sound daft or old-fashioned (not applicable?) but maybe the most effective path for the younger set of folks today would be to keep the mating process basic and very rigorous. Emphasize some simple but huge over arching values and be tough - very tough - in making decisions about those with whom you will be close. Most successful persons know how to differentiate between work and play - between improvement and self-gratification.
That's basically what I ended up doing. I decided what my most important values were and took girls out on dates that involved those things. Don't like it? Been nice knowing you! And I'd never talk to them again.

Politics is War by Other Means
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916

Never was interested in raising children.

Its not for everybody

But why didn't you want to raise children?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by irfubar
Good post sniper and spot on. Funny to listen to the campfire fudds who have been married to the same woman for 40 yrs yet they think they know women.... the modern woman is a different beast and your post points out several very real reasons why.

Jeebus...did you read the whole thing?

Sniper's a sharp fellow and hearing him out is never a bad idea.

Sometimes.

But he's also a COVTARD.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I couldn't get through it.

I tried too.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
I agree with those who think this has been and interesting and potentially useful thread. The article is thought-provoking, even if some think it does not address the "real problem". Unless I missed it through carelessness, deflave did not respond to explain "what the real problem is". Bristoe made some good points for thought about what has become - so have some others.
Yep. You missed it.
Maybe - maybe not - but not due to carelessness.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think one of the biggest problems is that many men, despite the intense social programming to the contrary, still want a woman just like mom and grandmom and women of the past. An old fashioned, feminine (NOT feminist) woman. And not many of those exist anymore. Men become frustrated and go their own way, and the "strong, independent women" live empty lives because they can't find anyone to stay with them because they just "want" one, and "don't need a man".

After all these years, I finally found a good woman. The rest of you are on your own. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dislike much,and maybe most, of what I see and hear in general about family court actions and divorce judgments. Often bad for kids and parents as well, and nonsensical. Also have seen the gamut of feminist ideology played out for the past 60 years and feel that was never fundamentally designed to elevate and/or emancipate women.

The above factors certainly have been - and are - detrimental. However, all too often we hear railing and wailing about those as the instruments of ruination - from those who seem to assume the role of victim. Not all, but many. In one way or another, we all seem to pay for our weak decisions. Some people are much more influenced by incentives than by values

Aside from those of us who got the benefit of dumb luck, the creation and sustenance of an excellent marriage will demand hard work and some sacrifice. . Girls raised lovingly and with proper values generally do not go down the sorry paths discussed in this thread.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
A Communion of Anxiety: A Gathering of Trumpsters and the Offspring of Trumpsters.

Even on an unrelated thread you still have to be a denigrating political cunt.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Somewhere between this...

Originally Posted by Bristoe
A big part of the problem is, a lot of young people today don't see any path to making enough money to set up housekeeping and raising kids.

Another is, young men are shying away from marriage because in the event of a divorce, the man will be financially ruined for all of eternity.

Basically, young people see the marriage "thing" as something that's not available to them. It's something the previous generations participated in.

...and this, lays the answer.

Originally Posted by Stophel
I think one of the biggest problems is that many men, despite the intense social programming to the contrary, still want a woman just like mom and grandmom and women of the past. An old fashioned, feminine (NOT feminist) woman. And not many of those exist anymore. Men become frustrated and go their own way, and the "strong, independent women" live empty lives because they can't find anyone to stay with them because they just "want" one, and "don't need a man".

After all these years, I finally found a good woman. The rest of you are on your own. wink

I am old and married so don't really give a toss.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I dislike much,and maybe most, of what I see and hear in general about family court actions and divorce judgments. Often bad for kids and parents as well, and nonsensical. Also have seen the gamut of feminist ideology played out for the past 60 years and feel that was never fundamentally designed to elevate and/or emancipate women.

The above factors certainly have been - and are - detrimental. However, all too often we hear railing and wailing about those as the instruments of ruination - from those who seem to assume the role of victim. Not all, but many. In one way or another, we all seem to pay for our weak decisions. Some people are much more influenced by incentives than by values

Aside from those of us who got the benefit of dumb luck, the creation and sustenance of an excellent marriage will demand hard work and some sacrifice. . Girls raised lovingly and with proper values generally do not go down the sorry paths discussed in this thread.

At what level have you dealt with the family court system in the United States?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I don’t believe men have changed much, women as a whole however have always been famously suggestible.

No accident that it was Eve who got talked into thinking that biting the apple was the thing to do.

Congrats on finding a good woman.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
TV and the internet poison many into believing they can do whatever they want and if it goes badly, they were just a victim.

Women moreso than men.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I don’t believe men have changed much, women as a whole however have always been famously suggestible.

No accident that it was Eve who got talked into thinking that biting the apple was the thing to do.

Just because I don't believe it's not a literal truth, doesn't mean it's not a literary truth.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 01/18/21.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Alex,

What is a whole number less than one?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Just because I don't believe it's not a literal truth, doesn't mean it's not a literary truth.

Typical too that Adam let a woman lead him astray against his own better judgement, tho I dunno if they were getting it on before the apple.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by antlers
The no-fault divorce has been a bad thing overall,. . . .

You believe that people should be forced to stay married unless they meet criteria from a state-approved list of transgressions?

A good friend caught his wife cheating on him. They went through counseling and he moved past it. He caught her cheating again about a year later with his best friend. That was enough. He filed for divorce after 17 years of marriage. He now pays child support and she also gets half his pension when he retires. People should be able to leave a bad marriage, but the cause of the break up should be taken into account when the court decides on financial matters. In my opinion, his wife gave up her right to share in his retirement income when she decided to become a whore.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the mention, AS. Somewhat surprising, given our differing views on religion in general and Christianity in particular. One of the many things that reinforces my faith in God is how poorly the world works when his precepts are ignored. You disagree with that conclusion, I know, but I don't see any of our societal problems getting better unless and until belief in God is widely restored. When a society sees no consequence (in the here or the hereafter) to evil or sinful behavior, such behavior only increases. The belief system you espouse works well for solving technical problems, but when it comes to human relations much more is needed.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by irfubar
Good post sniper and spot on. Funny to listen to the campfire fudds who have been married to the same woman for 40 yrs yet they think they know women.... the modern woman is a different beast and your post points out several very real reasons why.

Jeebus...did you read the whole thing?

Sniper's a sharp fellow and hearing him out is never a bad idea.

When the AntelopeSniper post the Fubar listens...... wink

PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Local and state - at what level have you dealt??

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Thanks for the mention, AS. Somewhat surprising, given our differing views on religion in general and Christianity in particular. One of the many things that reinforces my faith in God is how poorly the world works when his precepts are ignored. You disagree with that conclusion, I know, but I don't see any of our societal problems getting better unless and until belief in God is widely restored. When a society sees no consequence (in the here or the hereafter) to evil or sinful behavior, such behavior only increases. The belief system you espouse works well for solving technical problems, but when it comes to human relations much more is needed.

TYG,

You say God created us perfect and we fell from grace in the Garden of Eden, I say an imperfect process of evolutionary biology and a modern world with conditions very different from those experienced through the vast majority of our evolutionary past. Regardless, we're both interested in examining the challenges facing our country, can agree on what some of them are, and their implications for people within our sphere's of influence. Hopefully we can distill this into shareable information and perhaps even wisdom so we can make better decisions.

Although I do not accept the Christian version of the God proposition as true (or any other's) that does not mean there's no wisdom in the Bible, nor that it does not teach anything of useful. It see it as one of several early attempt to address the perpetual challenges we as humans face. In the intervening 2500 years we've learned much, and conditional have changed, so as an early examination of these problems it 's imperfect, and sometimes outdated. As a non-believer who's not locked into a single source for my solitons, I can examine the Biblical understanding of these problem along with their proposed cause and solutions, and decide to what degree they are applicable or not.

You referenced my belief system. My beliefs are far from monolithic and typically diverse from those of post-modern left. One of the area's where you and I agree is on the power of incentives. Where we seem to disagree is the nature of the incentives we should utilize in our efforts to mitigate the problems at hand. Belief in god(s) and hell(s) is on the decline, so I don't see efforts in this area becoming a more effective tool for fixing the challenges discussed in this thread in the future. Instead I believe we should focus on the incentives in the here and now especially those that are demonstrable, measurable, actionable, and have real opportunity to mitigate these problems without creating an equal or greater level of negative unintended consequences. It's for this reason many here point to the bad incentives created by the current family courts system, how it contributes to 80% of divorces being filed by women, and the impacts these divorces have upon the men. If we change this incentive structure, I suspect the marriage and divorce rates will change as well.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 60 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,611
Posts18,473,887
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.