Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
You are not settling in anyway with a 270. There's no reason to look down on it. With its performance history on game, it has nothing to prove to a rifle chambered in a "fashionable" cartridge.

Don't let fashion fads impact your view on proven performance.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You’re really worried about rifle weight while hunting elk? The Howa 1500 std .473 bolt LA barreled action weighs 5 lbs. Find a 28 oz stock and 10 oz scope and you have a nicely balanced alpine rifle weighing around 7.25 lbs.

If you’re not packing out with a horse/mule you’ll have to tote around 120 lbs per quarter times 4 quarters at possibly very high altitude. Still worried about that 7.25 lbs rifle.

Even if you have horse/mule pack out you’ll expend considerable energy and endurance just carving and packing the animal. My point is you need to be in very good condition to enjoy an elk hunt, your rifle weight in my opinion and my experience at hunting and packing out elk at 10,000 ft would be the least of worries on the hunt. Only one man’s opinion.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by mcclure
I have a Howa that I like a lot - it has served me well for whitetail hunting but I'm still fairly new to hunting and don't have a ton of experience with it. I'm hoping for the chance to do some Wyoming elk hunting in 2021 and am curious what you guys think about using a Howa for backcountry hunting. I don't have a scale but I believe it weights about 7.5 lbs on its own and over 9 lbs with my scope on it. Seems like the only way to lighten up a Howa is to replace the stock with a McMillan Edge, which I'm not sure I want to do.

When I see people investing in super lightweight rifles like Barrett Fieldcrafts and Kimber Montanas, I start to wonder if I'm in for a world of hurt if I try to haul my Howa around in the mountains. I dunno - I guess I could go for a hike just carrying the thing and see how I feel about it.

Hunted for decades with standard sporting rifles. I use Tikka's a lot now. I carry them more than I shoot them and the Tikka's are accurate. That being said, a standard sporting weight rifle isnt that bad and surely isnt going to impact your normal hunt much at all. Get a good sling and good boots to hike in and have at it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One is going to haul an elk out of the mountains, and he's worried about packing 1 to 2 lbs of extra weight up the hill? My premier concern with whatever unit I select is accuracy, and I'm thinking of taking a 15 lb Sharps for the next go.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/18/21.

1Minute
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by 1minute
One is going to haul an elk out of the mountains, and he's worried about packing 1 to 2 lbs of extra weight up the hill? My premier concern with whatever unit I select is accuracy, and I'm thinking of taking a 15 lb Sharps for the next go.

Originally Posted by Rossimp
You’re really worried about rifle weight while hunting elk? The Howa 1500 std .473 bolt LA barreled action weighs 5 lbs. Find a 28 oz stock and 10 oz scope and you have a nicely balanced alpine rifle weighing around 7.25 lbs.

If you’re not packing out with a horse/mule you’ll have to tote around 120 lbs per quarter times 4 quarters at possibly very high altitude. Still worried about that 7.25 lbs rifle.

Even if you have horse/mule pack out you’ll expend considerable energy and endurance just carving and packing the animal. My point is you need to be in very good condition to enjoy an elk hunt, your rifle weight in my opinion and my experience at hunting and packing out elk at 10,000 ft would be the least of worries on the hunt. Only one man’s opinion.

I think a person can be concerned about more than one thing at once. Asking about rifle weight doesn’t mean I’m not interested in accuracy, my own physical conditioning, or the tons of other things that factor into an elk hunt.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
mcclure,
I have a Vanguard, chambered in .270 WSM, that I have restocked with a McMillan Edge. Scope is a Leupold VX3, 3.5-10x, in Talley LW mounts. All up, it weighs 7 lb. 15 oz., and is a very easy carry in mountainous country. Consider the Edge stock if you really want to do something that will reduce weight.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's me with my 11-lb MkV .340.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

For me, that Safari Sling seems to feel like it takes some of the weight off the rifle, and it's always ready to shoot. And having it up front seems to offset some of the weight of a backpack.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
MarineHawk, thanks for the safari sling suggestion. I have been considering those thinking it might do exactly what you’re describing. I’ll have to give it a try.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mcclure
MarineHawk, thanks for the safari sling suggestion. I have been considering those thinking it might do exactly what you’re describing. I’ll have to give it a try.

They go on all my rifles, except for my semis that have a similar setup. So much easier to carry a rifle that way than with a regular sling.

https://www.amazon.com/Boonie-Packer-Products-Safari-Sling/dp/B07CQKQQ83

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MarineHawk: Like that setup with the chair. Started doing the same when I finally got some foraging patterns figured out in a favorite Wy location. Have a low boy chair I use in the squirrel fields and pack it a couple days before the elk opener. Taken 4 bulls and 1 cow from that chair.

1Minute
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
9 lbs isn't a deal breaker, hunt it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 160user, 22250rem, 47 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,709
Posts18,475,378
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.