Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have hunted with and enjoyed the heck out of my old cheapo Knight wolverine for almost 20 years now. I only hunt when drawn for muzzleloader elk (twice in that time) and maybe Javelina every other year....
My 14 year old son shot it and decided that he needs to have it. How can I say no to the kid? (Especially if it means that I get to update my my set up.)

I have the chance to purchase either of these from friends that I trust:
My choices are:
Remington Genesis (unfired) my concerns are that this was only manufactured for a couple of years. I can get this pretty cheap.
T/C encore prohunter with .50 209 barrel: (again, unfired) I am leaning this way because of its versatility and resale value. This will cost me a bit more.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Couesdeer; 01/19/21.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I killed a pile of deer with a wolverine. Finally up graded to a Encore. Been happy with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the encore with the latest fluted barrel. Great in every way except I wish it was lighter. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Gents!
I was leaning toward the encore and, for my needs, I think the extra coin will be well spent.

And yes, the wolverine is still a pretty good muzzleloader!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have no experience with either. Having said that, I'd buy the one I could get several extra breech plugs for.
The Genesis has a good reputation but has been out of production for a while now.
Did he buy extra consumables? If you get it cheap enough you could have some fun regardless!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Played with a Genesis long enough to get it dialed in for someone. Okay gun, but the Encore is certainly better and more versatile. Accessories and parts are everywhere too, while the Genesis is an orphan.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Back when Cabelas was closing out the Genesis for $79, members of my family bought a few. They killed a lot of deer with them. As said, they are OK but have been upgraded

It is my understanding that the Genesis was made for Remington by Traditions

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My Wolverine was a deer killin machine, but I sold it to a co-worker and got this ( tells ya how long ago )

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
JMHO- I never buy anything with resale value
as a criterion. If I had to do that I'd never be
satisfied with anything I owned. It took me a
long time to figure that out. I rid myself of a
lot of my dust collectors and feel better for it

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I had zero probs w my Wolverine.
Buddy got a stainless camo one a couple yrs ago, used but pristine, for 100 bucks. But the 209 conversions were gone then.

They make em again now, or something similar. Not as cheap.

I liked em better than Encore MZs.

My issue was.....w a 4x scope it was not as much fun to use. It was simply a very ( too ) effective killing machine.

Last edited by hookeye; 01/21/21.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My Wolverine used regular caps. Never had a problem with it going off.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brother has a tc pro hunter he's thinking about selling if you're interested.

SS, black stock version

Excellent condition

PM me if you are interested

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Couesdeer
T/C encore prohunter with .50 209 barrel: (again, unfired) I am leaning this way because of its versatility and resale value. This will cost me a bit more.

Thoughts?

No choice in my mind - it's a better investment for holding value over time, especially if you decide to branch out with other calibers on the frame.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hookeye
I had zero probs w my Wolverine.
Buddy got a stainless camo one a couple yrs ago, used but pristine, for 100 bucks. But the 209 conversions were gone then.

They make em again now, or something similar. Not as cheap.

I liked em better than Encore MZs.

My issue was.....w a 4x scope it was not as much fun to use. It was simply a very ( too ) effective killing machine.

Killin’s the goal, ain’t it? By the time our ML season rolls around, the deer have been sliced, diced, and petrified for 2 1/2 months. Lucky to even see one. We do have a four-day Heritage season in early January for those who need a challenge: sidelocks and stickbows only. Only saw one other hunter during that, but scads of dog walkers and day hikers. Can't even pee against a tree in peace. Maybe I should start walking the trails with a stuffed Yorky to make the deer think I’m harmless.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I've used an Encore for over 20 years and could not be happier with it. Accurate, reliable and easy to clean. I'm an old guy but have never had a problem with its weight. Switch the barrel to something cheap to shoot (I bought an MGM in 22 mag) and you can practice with it all spring and summer.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I like Contenders better than Encores
The latter too blocky/ big for my taste.

By the time MZ season comes around Im too tired and its too cold. Used to hunt a lot more, in lots of bad weather.

Dunno if im lazy or just smarter all these years later LOL

Ill do bow early (recurve- Blackwidow) and then gun.
After that i kinda give up.

Late season, 2nd rut.....on my old spot some bruiser bucks. Worth the effort MZ if you have such a spot.

Current place is done by middle gun. Too much pressure. Properties broken up.

Last edited by hookeye; 01/22/21.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Have never been a fan of switching barrels.
Rather own more rifles.

Did have 3 Contender frames set up at one time smile

Hell Is dont like switching barrels on shotguns.
Rather have anothrr shotgun

Last edited by hookeye; 01/22/21.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Find a SS Savage ML2....buy once cry once. Best factory ML ever built IMO

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Killin’s the goal, ain’t it?

Not necessarily,. it's certainly way down on the list of priorities for many. Enjoying how they hunt and what they hunt with far outweighing killing something.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just go ahead and use your 30/06! State got your ML license $$$$ and you’re home free!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cas6969
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Killin’s the goal, ain’t it?

Not necessarily,. it's certainly way down on the list of priorities for many. Enjoying how they hunt and what they hunt with far outweighing killing something.

No argument with that. I sure enjoyed toting my musket around for a couple of days this month. We have from late September until the middle of January to chase ‘em with something, or something else. No tags to draw either. Since I like to eat them as well, I use pretty much everything permitted, in season. Once I make some meat, I get a little more “sportin’ “.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still using my LK93 with a peep sight. If I were going new it’d be a Knight Ultralite. That thing is nice.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have 4 muzzloaders. A TC Encore, another inline TC Impact, a 50 cal. TC Hawken and a 54 cal. TC Renegade. Since I bought my TC Hawken, I have not shot my inlines. I also went and bought a new in box TC Renegade 54 cal. I make my own roundballs and patches. I might buy the new #11 cap maker . Then , I might even make my own black powder . I enjoy that stuff. If you are looking for something a little different, those traditional muzzies are fun.

Last edited by ihookem; 02/07/21.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I got rid of my inline soon after I bought my T/C Hawken. The Hawken is much more fun to shoot and hunt with. Patched round balls and real black powder all the way. The inline was just a modern, slow to load single shot rifle and I won't be getting another.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I got rid of my inline soon after I bought my T/C Hawken. The Hawken is much more fun to shoot and hunt with. Patched round balls and real black powder all the way. The inline was just a modern, slow to load single shot rifle and I won't be getting another.

Pretty much how I feel. The only inline that ever got my interest was the one Ruger made for a while. Not sure why that one piqued my curiosity. Instead I hunt with a worn out TC Seneca .45 cal that doesn't like warm loads, 65 grains of 2F and a PRB or 70 grains of 2F and a home-cast, SPG-lubed 245 grain conical. With the conical, it's the slowest loading single shot .44 magnum rifle on the block. smile But silly amounts of fun.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can’t see anything out there that can improve my tc triumph. Shooting blackhorn and rio primers it’s burning as clean as anything on the market. If you like that stupid stock on the encore then go with it. Really any of the break open guns are hard to beat, easy to clean, accurate and they are not that expensive.

And yes , I still shoot the 295 powerbelt hollow point with a .177 air rifle pellet shoved in the hp to keep it from fragmenting.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Take a look at the Knight website. They have the Vision inline for $199.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I had an encore. Hated it. Bought an old mk-85 and love it. 460gr no excuse conical over 90gr is a hammer.

That said i still love my sidelocks. Have a TC big boar, greyhawk, treehawk and new englander 12 ga. Easier to clean to me than inlines.

Last edited by Phoneman; 02/11/21.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Are we talking about a Traditional, or a Centerfire look alike, loaded with black powder. Big difference? I have hunted both, killed game with the traditional, sold the other one several years ago. I like the feel and look of the traditional.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I bought the encore and picked up a 223 barrel for it as well. Also picked up a Savage ML II. I can't hunt with smokeless powder in AZ, I'm not sure how much of an advantage the Savage will be.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have hunted with and enjoyed the heck out of my old cheapo Knight wolverine for almost 20 years now. I only hunt when drawn for muzzleloader elk (twice in that time) and maybe Javelina every other year....
My 14 year old son shot it and decided that he needs to have it. How can I say no to the kid? (Especially if it means that I get to update my my set up.)

I have the chance to purchase either of these from friends that I trust:
My choices are:
Remington Genesis (unfired) my concerns are that this was only manufactured for a couple of years. I can get this pretty cheap.

Thoughts?

Neither go old school get a flintlock.

"One good Shot Is All I Need"
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
If you ever get a chance try out a White Rifles Super 91. They do excellent with the No Excuses conicals. They are easy to load and accurate as hell

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I’m a Knight fan and have been for a while. They shoot the 250g Barnes bullets into an inch or so with 3 pellets. I’ve never had a proble with the 3 I’ve owned.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Absolutely spot on.

It is interesting to note that when states originally created muzzleloader hunting seasons, they stipulated that the rifles used had to be traditional side-locks using iron sights, and that they must be used with patched round ball ammunition and black powder only. Since these seasons were designated as for primitive weapons, it was only common sense.

Of course, that soon gave way to the first non-traditional in-line muzzle-loaders such as those based on the Harrington and Richardson break-open single barrel shotgun.
Then, of course, patched round balls gave way to TC maxi-balls and such, and then scopes began to be allowed as well.

Finally, the floodgates opened and the only requirement that remained was that the rifle be loaded from the muzzle. Modern saboted JSP projectiles and BP substitutes rule the day now, and the rifles are entirely modern. The so-called primitive weapons season just became a second-chance season to harvest more game.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
They ruined a sport by their eagerness to build tag sales and revenue until the original intent was lost.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry, but I don’t see how anything was ruined. Even in states where the most advanced types are allowed, peole are free to use what they prefer, and hunt the way they like. Only downside might be that there are more people in the woods, but I don’t see that here, and that’s easily solved by the use of a little extra shoe-leather. ML tags here are included with the Sportsmans license, which most buy because it’s a good deal.

I hunted with a TC Hawken during the Maryland shotgun season 40+ years ago and never felt at a disadvantage.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by flintlocke
They ruined a sport by their eagerness to build tag sales and revenue until the original intent was lost.

Bingo.We have a winner.

I started with a TC 50 Cal. Hawkin back in the 70's. I would still be using it if wasn't so heavy.I now hunt with a TC Impact

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/10/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Randy Wakeman said the encore is the Mercedes of the muzzleloader world.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Have several a 45,( 2 )50's and a 54. 1 of my 50's was a kit gun and is browned with traditional sights the other is newer and has T/C fiber optics which are damn nice in low light. Like T/C Hawken and other t/c sidehammers. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by AH64guy

Thoughts?

No choice in my mind - it's a better investment for holding value over time, especially if you decide to branch out with other calibers on the frame.

i just ordered a new TC Pro HUNTER 50

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hard to beat a knight. This old mk-85 shoots just fine with no11, 90gr of black mz and a 460gr no excuse conical. Never had an ignition issue

Attached Images
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
ive got an Accurav V2 LR that has turned out to be supremely accurate and a very fun gun to shoot. it touches three federal 270 grain trophy copper bore lok bullets over 2 White hot pelletsat 100 yds, the trigger si one of the very best I've ever seen on any rifle

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (219 Wasp, 1minute, 219DW, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 61 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,164
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.