Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Stopped by again on the way home yesterday and they had more LAWs in stock. All the Professional series, 6.5 Creed, 260, 308, and 7RM. Funny thing was the 7RM had the lightest contour. It looked like a #2 where the other 3 were 4ish. They feel a bit heavier than the specs state. Definitely felt a touch heavier than the Nosler M48 26 Nosler beside them. The overall appearance is better than the Nosler IMO and a much better stock. They state Bansner, but it doesn't have the shape of my current Bansner, more of a classic design. Hate to say it, but the LAWs looked more like a much more expensive full custom job. I know I paid much more many times for builds that did not look as good.

For $1535 OTD, I'm thinking about trying one. Need to trip a couple rigs and pick one up. Probably go 260 for the heck of it. I can live without the brake, so the included thread protector will be nice. Not the best contour either, but it felt ok. Kind of on par with a Rem Mag.

HR IC

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
Funny thing was the 7RM had the lightest contour. It looked like a #2 where the other 3 were 4ish. They feel a bit heavier than the specs state. Definitely felt a touch heavier than the Nosler M48 26 Nosler beside them.

Kind of surprised by this, but I never handled a short action LAW. The 270 and 7RM I handled seemed nice and light. I'd say well under 7lbs.

Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
Hate to say it, but the LAWs looked more like a much more expensive full custom job. I know I paid much more many times for builds that did not look as good.

My impression as well. I've had quite a few customs that weren't finished as nicely.

I plan on buying one too. Maybe more.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There has been some movement with LAW this year. FB shows a new President and range reports of teeny tiny groups. Mark B is no longer with them or touching the guns. I am not sure what that means. It appears that the new group is customer service driven. I guess the market has scaled them down, retooled and moved locations.

It is a hell of a business study to how finicky rifle loonies are. Or maybe just a study of business. Whatever the case, I wish these guys luck and Bansner too.

E
EJK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have a M704 action that has a broke spring for the safty, how do you contact some one for parts ?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i would try Mark Bansner first...bansner and company

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have a newer production LAW rifle in 280AI. Shoots great with both bullets I've tried so far. Fit and finish appears top notch. My gunsmith couldn't find any faults with it either. They are a tad on the heavy side for a hunting rifle now a days but other than that no complaints.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Gene,

Just read this thread as I am still interested in the LAWs/704 action.

Thank you for the suggestion to call Mr. Bansner as I had a couple questions about firing pin springs for the 704. He picked up the phone directly and I had a great/informative discussion with him for about 15 minutes. He still believes in the product/design and more importantly willing to support the LAW owners with questions and issues. My experience was very "Melvin Forbesque" to say the least based on this initial impression/visit.

These kinds of people are disappearing fast for multiple reasons in our current environment. Utilize/enjoy them while while they are still around!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I picked up a used 280 ai LAW professional a while back. I still haven't shot it yet but I've heard several of their 280 AIs had accuracy issue. Supposedly they straightened it out in later versions. Does anyone know how to tell if you have a later version?

I'll just get out and shoot it soon I've just been working on smaller rifles for my 10 year Olds first deer hunt. If it shoots well I think I'll like the rifle. I like the fact that the extractor is lower on the bolt so it might eject without bouncing off my windage turret. I also like the 3 position safety. I paid probably about what the actions worth so if it doesn't shoot and stock bedding etc doesn't help I'll rebarrel it.

Any info on them would be appreciated,
Bb

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Burley'

I believe the early ones with the lighter contour barrel were the ones with issues AND it seems, IIRC, more so in certain chamberings... the 280AI may have been one of those as well as 300 WM.

I think they switched to the heavier contour barrels around SN ~1500 or so.

I've picked up 2 at reasonable prices, a light contour 7mm RM and a light contour 6.5 Creed. The latter was sent back to the factory 2 times for the owner by Sportsman's Warehouse... I believe they bedded the action at minimum. The owner decided to return it to Sportsman's and I bought it at a reduced price. It has shot fine for me... no problems. I have the heavier barreled 6.5 Creed as well and see no real difference in performance/accuracy.

I am still "getting to know" the 7mm so can't make a comment on that one but I am hopeful as I really like the design and features.

Hope that helps and good luck my Idaho "looney" friend!

lundtroller

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks Lund,

My serial number is just over 2000 and the barrel is a little heavier about like a fluted brux #4. It seems pretty well put together so I'll get a scope on it and get it to the range. I'm headed to the range now to work up some youth guns.

I like the 704 action so far. I think it's threaded like a rem so I wonder if a remage would fit one? I think the bolt nose might prevent it.

If I like this rifle I may order another action or 3. The seem to eject flat.

Bb

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
BB, I heard they did a 1-10 on the 280 Ackley. Not sure if it’s true or not, but it’d be cool to see how yours does. Hunted with a fella a few years back that had one in 7 Rem. Got to handle it a bit and it was a well built rifle and seemed to have all the right stuff on it.

Good luck and let us know what it does.

Semper Fi
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 338Rules, 35, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 15 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,644
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.