Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my feeder is covered in birds. mostly little dark colored ones. not sure what they are. lots of cardinals and a few blue jays. the starlings hit the suet cakes. found out my sheridan doesn't hold pressure anymore so i'm bummed. i chase squirrels off regularly too. i had no less than 10 cardinals on there this afternoon. they are eating me out of house and home.

My diploma is a DD214

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We're in the midst of a very mild winter. We have no snow and we've had very few days when it didn't get above freezing. It should be easy living for the birds. However, our feeders are overwhelmed with SBB's (small brown birds). Juncos, house finches, and several species of sparrows mainly. I've had to start rationing or they'll bankrupt us buying feed. We've never had them in these numbers before.

How dry was it this past summer?

The birds you’re reporting feed mostly on last years grass and weed seed crop.
this is high desert. We normally go for 3 to 5 months in the summer with no rain at all. It's all irrigation. This last summer was no exception.
We have house finches and several species of sparrows year round. The junco's migrate in from somewhere and winter here.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Last year this time it was huge flocks of indigo bunting but this year the pine warblers are outnumbering even the sparrows and no buntings. We have the normal numbers of year round blue jays, cardinals, titmouse, chickadee, woodpeckers and house finch. Going to declare war on the bronze headed cowbirds when they show up this spring.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The usual: squirrels, doves, cardinals, SBBs, titmice, chicadees, nuthatches, misc. woodpeckers, bluejays.

My hawthorn, Bradford pear, and the oaks are cleaned out. Can’t tell about the wild grapes. The crabapple is still loaded. If and when we get deep snow, we set out frozen fruit from the freezer for the robins and other fruit eaters. You should see them scramble for it.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We probably won't see robins for another month. We have a 400' deep canyon near here and they duck down in there during the coldest months. This is a warm winter, though, and they might come out early.

― George Orwell

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
We have lots of Nuthatch, Chickadee, Yellow and Purple Finch, various Sparrows, Red Head Woodpeckers and other varieties, Blue Jay and a small covey of Inca Dove plus many other varieties at different times.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Stimulus checks = more bird seed= dont fly south and get phatt staying here.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Very normal here except fewer cardinals.

Seems around here there are less mourning doves every year. Im wondering if the wind turbines are getting them. Almost no doves seen in 200 miles from Abilene through Pecos in West Texas this winter. Im hoping they dont go the way of the passenger pigeon. I dont know what the population needs to be to keep them viable.

We haven't had a shootable population of mourning doves in the last 3 years, now.
First time I know of (other than an oncoming storm pushing them out) since 1960.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We're in the midst of a very mild winter. We have no snow and we've had very few days when it didn't get above freezing. It should be easy living for the birds. However, our feeders are overwhelmed with SBB's (small brown birds). Juncos, house finches, and several species of sparrows mainly. I've had to start rationing or they'll bankrupt us buying feed. We've never had them in these numbers before.

Global warming is leading to unpredictable weather patters. North Carolina will become Florida and Alaska will become Wisconsin. You are not supposed to feed wild animals. By doing so you are actually compounding wildlife problems. Thanks to animal rights loonies soon we will not be able to go into the woods for due to danger from wolves and bears.
crazy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mark shubert

Seems around here there are less mourning doves every year. Im wondering if the wind turbines are getting them. Almost no doves seen in 200 miles from Abilene through Pecos in West Texas this winter. Im hoping they dont go the way of the passenger pigeon. I dont know what the population needs to be to keep them viable.

We haven't had a shootable population of mourning doves in the last 3 years, now.
First time I know of (other than an oncoming storm pushing them out) since 1960.
We used to have mournings nest in our orchard every summer. I haven't heard a single one in 3 or 4 years. After the collareds moved in, they left. Mourning dove season here now is a non-item. They're pretty much gone.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hanco
We have Robins out the ass.

Better than hamsters?

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by AZmark
Originally Posted by hanco
We have Robins out the ass.

Better than hamsters?

Haha, winner, winner,...

Is that you, Col Travis?

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/23/21.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by mark shubert

Thanks, Mark. Sorry to hear that.

I think people all over the south putting fire ant granule poison out may be a big part of the problem.

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/23/21.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Had a flock of Tom turkeys this morning. One old brute had a beard that had to be over 10”.
We haven’t had many mourning doves the last several years but this year we have lots of them. At dusk, there can be 20 or more on the ground around the feeders. Collared doves and starlings are pretty scarce. They keep running into small, hard objects traveling at a high rate of speed. Tragic that!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We have some starlings but not as many as in past years.
If we didn't have the non-natives, starlings, collared doves, English sparrows, it would be pretty quiet at the feeders.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine seem to be coming out of the woods next door. Staying in the frozen north this year because of Covid and feeding the small sunflower meats to avoid all the mess with the shells. My birds are pretty well through their first 50# bag this year and the squirrels and deer get corn and what ever the birds drop. Mostly goldfinches, house finches, juncos, cardinals, blue jay, nut hatch, mourning dove, red bellied and downy woodpeckers. Sure not like what is down south in the winter. 35 different species were always sighted just from the backyard.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Right now I'm hearing collared doves whooping it up in the back yard. Normally they're quiet in the winter and only call when on the nest.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i have been hunting morning and whitewing for probabley over 5 0 years, could get a limit in15minutes.
sometimes int was ten for ten.
not so anymore i noticed fewer around when the ring neck/collard moved i.
not game season them an invasive species,can shoot on sight.
they are much more aggressive and larger than morning dove.
se feed quite a few in the back yardl goats get their feed, feral cats eat, then the ring neck move in.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by troublesome82
Same here. Hundreds of sparrows, and a few starlings are making it tough for the other birds . We still have some woodpeckers, cardinals, titmice, nuthatches, but not in the numbers we used to have. Would love to wipe out an entire generation of sparrows!

ditto here in Oklahoma City

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1minute, 66 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,431
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.