Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've had a few of these over the years and know that they are collectable. I had a fellow call a little while ago wanting to sell them from his Dad's estate. He said he had 15 with 10 new with the shipping containers.
I can PM a phone number, don't know his price either.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Do you know who made the scopes and when they were made?

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Do you know who made the scopes and when they were made?

Paul, They were made in the Remington Custom Shop in the early 70s. They were similar to the early Unertl in that they had external adjustment in the scope rings. The difference was they were made to mount on the 40X receiver instead of the barrel. The glass is wonderful, but I've been unable to find out who they used. I sold my 4 when I was able to purchase one of the 3 internal adjustable scopes and also the prototype from Mike Walkers estate. Only 3 were produced along with the prototype.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mike Walker & Jim Steckl creations. Those scopes now command a premium when available, which is rarely! Only offered one year IIRC?

Last edited by 3dtestify; 01/23/21.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Rare, not sure who made them. Also not sure of current value. Not something one sees every day.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
Mike Walker & Jim Steckl creations. Those scopes now command a premium when available, which is rarely! Only offered one year IIRC?

According to Jimmie Stekl production was for only a very few years. Jimmie said all work was done in house except the glass. The first glass wasn't acceptable and they changed suppliers. The early ones had Unertl scope rings. The later ones were made in house.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I hope this works. This was 3 of mine that I got from Jimmie Stekl. I can email photos, but can't get them on the forum.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These scopes were from the era when Remington via Mike Walker (and Jim Stekl) were neck deep into Bench Rest. This era also resulted in the 6 and 22BR as well as the 40-XBBR.

The Remington scope was produced as a BR scope. There was a series of interviews with Mike Walker published in PS magazine a number of years ago. One of them focused on the Remington BR scopes. Back when it was written (90’s) Walker was still stringing reticles in his scopes.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ChrisF
These scopes were from the era when Remington via Mike Walker (and Jim Stekl) were neck deep into Bench Rest. This era also resulted in the 6 and 22BR as well as the 40-XBBR.

The Remington scope was produced as a BR scope. There was a series of interviews with Mike Walker published in PS magazine a number of years ago. One of them focused on the Remington BR scopes. Back when it was written (90’s) Walker was still stringing reticles in his scopes.

Chris, Jeff Abbereg made me aware of these scopes. Jeff was the person that wrote the Precision Shooting article on these scopes.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Approximately what are their value

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jwp475

Approximately what are their value

For the new ones with the shipping tubes, My guess $1000-$1250.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have one but it's far from new, having been in use since 1973. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow, Thanks for posting this. Learn something new everyday nearly on the 'fire.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Posted the rifle that goes with these scopes on the classifieds. 40xbbr 222 rem mag.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chris, Jeff Abbereg made me aware of these scopes. Jeff was the person that wrote the Precision Shooting article on these scopes.

It was a great article. The companion articles about Walker (IIRC he was on the cover one of those months) was a great peek inside the mind of the guy that drove a ton of Remington's sucess in their glory days. One image sticks in my mind; that cover shot was Walker in front of his home next to a Subaru SVX which was about as swoopy a car as I've seen any 80 year old driving. It would take an engineer to appreciate an AWD car like that!

Last edited by ChrisF; 01/25/21.
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B

It was a great article. The companion articles about Walker (IIRC he was on the cover one of those months) was a great peek inside the mind of the guy that drove a ton of Remington's sucess in their glory days. One image sticks in my mind; that cover shot was Walker in front of his home next to a Subaru SVX which was about as swoopy a car as I've seen any 80 year old driving. It would take an engineer to appreciate an AWD car like that!

Chris, I don't know if Jeff wrote the story about Mike's favorite rifles, but I own 2 of them mentioned in the magazine article, his mod 37RF and his mod 722 in 257 Roberts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd like to see those rifles if you have pics!

What's old is new again! I saw that a few years back, scopes with "locked" internals were a thing in benchrest. Adjustments were made via the mounts. Is that still a thing in benchrest?

For the masses here; these scopes (and the Unertls etc are as a class called external adjustment scopes. The scope has no adjustments built into the internals. All adjustments are done by the mounts.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B

What's old is new again! I saw that a few years back, scopes with "locked" internals were a thing in benchrest. Adjustments were made via the mounts. Is that still a thing in benchrest?

For the masses here; these scopes (and the Unertls etc are as a class called external adjustment scopes. The scope has no adjustments built into the internals. All adjustments are done by the mounts.

Don't see hardly any now in BR.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Fascinating. Thank you.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B

I have photos, but after google bought my other go to Tinypic and my other go to I can only email some of them. Pm an email address and I'll send you photos.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 01/27/21.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,465
Posts18,471,363
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.