R
pay off debt if you have any

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
At home, alcohol, penicillin and junk silver; Broader DFA according to modern portfolio theory. Been very good lately. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Clarkm
10 best stocks of the decade 2010 -2020

Netflix: 4,011%.

This isn't remotely close to the top 10 unless the assumption is that someone bought a stock available on 1.4.2010 and sold at close 12.31.2020, which is an arbitrary and stupid rule that only an imbecile would base investment advice on. TSLA, for instance, didn't go public until June 2010 but buying at IPO day's close price and selling 12.31.20 would net ~15,000% return. There are several other stocks that I know off the top of my head that returned well over 4,011% inside that period.

As an aside, 1 BTC could be had for $0.06 USD in late 2010, which would be a return of about 500,000% at the end of 2020.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Facebook
Apple
Google
GE
Overstock
Tesla

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Originally Posted by MM879

This is an example of an unbalanced portfolio. It reminds me of when it was believed that you could retire with IBM and GE investments only. Think Boeing.......

I lost 20% / year under Bush 41
I made 20% / year under Clinton
I made 20% / year under Bush 43
I made 20% / year under obuma
I made 40% / year under Trump

I don't call it skill or luck. I call it perseverance and learning from mistakes.
In 1991 I was working two consulting jobs and my 5 year old son said, "Dad, if you didn't lose so much money on the stock market, you wouldn't have to work so hard."
I knew he was right, but I kept on trading and losing. I talked to my father in 1994. He was making 20%. After that meeting I went all in on MSFT and held for the next 6 years. No more day trading.

A liberal friend of mine inherited money 3 years ago. I told him to put 90% in an indexed fund and do trades with 10%. When you make more than the index fund, then you can trade with the bulk of the money. He did not listen. He started buying stocks based on aesthetics. You can imagine what happened.

My son listened to me when I told him to keep his AMZN options when he was a software engineer. He made millionaire at age 29, 5 years ago.
My youngest brother listened to me and bought AMZN. He just reached $2M in his portfolio.

My liberal friend's son was also an engineer at AMZN, but sold his options. He still has to work at age 35.
My friend's kid could beat me at any IQ test, but I could beat him a fishing and investing, where my perseverance and learning from mistakes makes the difference.

So you think AMZN is still a good buy now?

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I wouldn't buy much tech stocks now. They are really high. They are exuberant now. The S&P is too high cause of the tech stocks. These companies hate our kind to make matters worse. A good idea is to invest in the more conservative ETF's. I bought SPYD and it is still not back up to the highs of 1 yr. ago. It pays about 4.5% dividends to boot. There are other very good conservative ETF's that I use . SPYD, VYM, SCHV, SCHD, HDV are the large companies that pay very nice dividends , like 3.5% to 4.5% . These ETF's have not gone up a lot in 5 yrs compared to the tech stocks. They have very good companies in them ,however. There chances of commodities doing very well over the next 5 yrs. are very high. Soybeans and corn are way up the last 4 months. Copper, silver and gold has been doing very well. Crude oil in the last few months has done very well. Real estate has gone way up all over the United States. However, there are real-estate stocks you can buy called a REIT . very moderately priced. I own some. The tickers are WPC and O. I also have a few more that have done very well.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Watching

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JETS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everything was cheap yesterday. High today and sure to crash tomorrow.

50 years of investing and I've never seen it any different than that.

1 Buy low, sell high

2 Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

3. NOTHING is EVER as bad as the market thinks it is.

4 Nothing is EVER as GOOD as the market thinks it is.

5 Find your self a market or broker that lets you buy things today for what they cost a year ago and sell them tomorrow for what they are worth today.

6 Don't get your investing advice on gun and camping forums.

Last edited by JackRyan; 01/23/21.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

At less than 3% interest rates? That’s some stupid advice...

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JackRyan

1 Buy low, sell high

5 Find your self a market or broker that lets you buy things today for what they cost a year ago and sell them tomorrow for what they are worth today.

Probably some of the best advice I’ve ever seen posted on here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 19352012
Originally Posted by WTM45
Rentals. A headache worse than Covid19 can give.

I have a friend who loves the idea and all the time buys houses to remodel and rent. He tells me about his renters not making payments, getting fired, breaking stuff. One guy never made a payment last half of 2020 so he is down $5000. I can't evict him or I will never see it and I can't let him stay. My friend has given me wisdom. And a lot of laughs at his stories.

Did he tell you how much he gained on the property in appreciation over the last year? 10-25% here.
($5k Is about 2 months rent here.)
Or that he could get his rent from the cities where the houses were located If tenant cannot pay because of covid?
Or that he could have used forbearance agreements with the lenders (over the last 6 months, as of now) to alleviate current cash flow issues?
Does he know how to use rent to own to instill a sense of ownership in tenants, and sell at a strike price a year from now at a 10-15% above market?
Does he know that tenant buyers will pay 20-25% more in rent, if 10-15% is applied to their down payment every month?
Coupled with that, Does he know that most rent-to-own tenants fail on their first try? And that their down payment belongs to the seller, if they do?
And, does he know that he can do the rent-to-own all over again that next year with a new tenant or write a new contract with the current tenant buyers?

Last edited by local_dirt; 01/23/21.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

[/quote]

Or from anyone who sells you anything, except their advice on a fee for service basis.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by JackRyan

1 Buy low, sell high

Probably some of the best advice I’ve ever seen posted on here.

5 cracked me up, and 6 works for quite a bit beyond investing.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

At less than 3% interest rates? That’s some stupid advice...

Agreed unless it’s consumer debt at 10% plus.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I remember what my father told me.. If they are so smart why do they need my money? They should be millionaires on there own money, not risking mine. He also told me land is good, they are not making more of it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Leverage on houses sounds like tons of fun as the government keeps pushing back when and how you can evict squatters. No thanks here, not that I have the cash to play that game in Colorado either.
I’ll stay with my mutual funds. FBGRX has been good to me, POAGX, POGRX and others in my portfolio have done really well. Have no idea if they peaked. But I’m doing boring growth stock mutual fund investing, not looking any sort of hot ticket. My foreign stuff finally started to show signs of life in the latter half of the year too.

I keep thinking about this. Do I still want to own rentals with dems passing laws saying renters can stay in your place without paying rent? I sold several a few years too early. I've got a nice 4 bed 2 bath 2 car garage less than 1/2 mile from BYU idaho that rents well and is almost paid off.

I want to sell it while it's appraising for about $270000 but the wife wants to keep it. We bought it in about 2013 for $123,000 then put a new roof on it and a few other things. Probably in it less than $135,000. I want to put it on zillow when the current lease ends in May. We would end up with a huge tax bill unless we did a 1031 exchange.

Bb

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by GeoW
Originally Posted by 1minute
Land with development potential.

Wanted to buy Boeing stock about this time last year but did no have the cash. Bummer.

This time last year Boeing was over $300.. Be glad you didn't.

It hit $90 one day in March. I told my broker I wanted to buy $25 K of it that day and he talked me out of it. I bought $25 of Royal Dutch shell that day instead at about $22/ share and then sold it the next week at about $34/share. I then started day trading a bit and made a little more here and there but it drove me nuts watching the markets all the time. I was obsessed with it so I pretty much quit and parked most of the money.

I had much more spreadout over 8-9 mutual funds and just parked all that shortly after the dems stole the election. I don't know what to do now but don't really want my money being ran by leftists into their big fascist businesses anymore. I'm thinking of putting $250k into a self directed ira and doing hard money loans but properties are so high right now I don't trust even being in first position unless the buyer has a ton of their own skin in the game.

Bb

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Usually playing stock market craps does not end well.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by UPhiker
If you're not a knowledgeable investor--a S&P500 Index Fund.

Long term diversified index funds

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

234 members (1_deuce, 375sunrise, 338reddog, 219 Wasp, 30Gibbs, 10ring1, 24 invisible), 1,638 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,205
Posts18,524,229
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.