Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
remington issues grow exponentially on the internet

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Buy a Vanguard2 and skip the anxiety over Remington's unknown future?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gene270

True!

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N

yep

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I don't think there's any doubt that Remington is going to be producing rifles again, right? Sounds like they are restructuring and will be making some changes, but I can't imagine the 700 is going away, even if Remington thins their offerings somewhat.

Can't argue with a Vanguard however.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Remington are sweet once you sink another $500 in them for a new trigger, side bolt release, reinforced bolt handle, bushed firing pin....

Or..don't buy the bullshit, and shoot them as is. A trigger is always a good investment, but other than that the rest is just fluff.

This

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I wouldn’t have any anxiety over Remingtons future. Anything I would want changed fixed upgraded etc would not go through Remington anyway.

I do like the Vanguard and Howa a lot though. Heavy though so depending on what I’m wanting it for I may choose something else. I’m not a sheep hunter but when I fix something up for a kid or help fix something up for a kid I choose Remington Tikka or Montana. The order would depend on the budget.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I would look for one that said “Winchester” on the side lol. On a serious note, I’d consider one for a good deal. But that would also set my expectations for that rifle. Since the history or nostalgia of the Remington name means nothing to me, I wouldn’t pay more than $500 for one of their offerings. I also would expect $500 performance out of it, and you likely wouldn’t be disappointed.

In current times, with what quality factory boot actions are going for, you have to fight really hard not to semi or full custom. That is, unless you happen to want a genuine Remington/Winchester/Browning/etc..

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I own multiple examples of M700's from every decade since they were introduced.
Over the past 40 years in my load book I probably have 5k recorded velocities with M700's, and have shot 10's of thousands more rounds through M700's

I have never had a bolt handle fall off, and have never seen one fall off.

I have never had an extractor break, and have never seen one break.

I have never had an accidental discharge, and don't personally know of any friends or acquaintances who have either. I have bought M700's with misadjusted triggers (the worst is one I bought here on the 'fire) or were absolutely filthy that probably were accidental discharges waiting for a happening.

Recent vintage M700's have demonstrated to generally be quite accurate.

Doesn't mean there aren't exceptions to any of the above, just like any other rifle.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
The original small block Chevy engine has been gone as a production item since 2000. Bazzillions of parts, both stock & high performance still available at reasonable prices. Why? because they made a lot of them & the basic platform was a good one. Better than most of the competition in a price range or market position.

The Remington 700 is the small block Chevy of rifles. Expect, bank on the same scenario & the 700, clones, & parts to be around as long as bolt actions are.

Good gosh! I should thank my lucky stars I guess for, by some dumb luck on buying dozens of 700's that have shot well & offered great dependability.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by gunzo
The original small block Chevy engine has been gone as a production item since 2000. Bazzillions of parts, both stock & high performance still available at reasonable prices. Why? because they made a lot of them & the basic platform was a good one. Better than most of the competition in a price range or market position.

The Remington 700 is the small block Chevy of rifles. Expect, bank on the same scenario & the 700, clones, & parts to be around as long as bolt actions are.

I have made the same comparison in the past!

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by SDblackhills
Found a few Remington 700 ADL's in stock locally for a good price and am considering picking one up. With Remington's reputation being what it is, and with warranty service being sort of up in the air for the time being, I'm a little hesitant. If I choose to buy one, what should are some things to be on the lookout for? What are the common problems with newer production Remington rifles and how can I check for them?

Thanks.

I wouldn’t take a chance.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It's not just Remington, it's anything that someone doesn't like. Also, every person who once got a Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas, can become an "internet expert" on firearms.

I have always been a fan of Remington bolt action rifles............the 22's, 788's, 7's, and 700's I own a Winchester Model 70, and the rest of my bolt action centerfire rifles are either Model 7's or 700's. Like some of you have said, the earlier production ones will have a much smoother action, and metal work, but the latter made ones are usually more accurate. I've lost count of how many I've had, because I'll buy one, play with it a while, then send it on down the line, replaced with another one. Not to brag, but I've had a lot of experience with the Model 7 and 700 Remington's.

I've had a bolt fall off on a 700. It was a high grade, new rifle, after about 5 shots. Remington repaired it, but I sold it immediately after getting it back. I have also had a trigger fail, on a Model 7. I didn't examine it with a fine tooth comb to see what caused it to fail, I just tossed it and replaced it with a Timney...........something I have done on the majority of Remington's I own. So, yes, the Remington 700 and 7 line of rifles has not been without some problems.............but look how many have been made, and that percentage of actual problems becomes very low.

I have tried other brands..........Tikka, smooth bolt accurate, but no appeal whatsoever. Ruger, same as the Tikka. Howa and Weatherby Vanguards, nice accurate rifles, but just too darn heavy for my liking. I have owned Remington's from the Walmart ADL's to some of the most expensive factory rifles they made, and have never had one that I sent down the road because it was not accurate. I might have had to do a lot of experimenting with powders and bullets to find a load one liked, but every one of them was a good enough shooter to suit my needs. If you don't like them, then don't buy one, but on the other hand, I don't believe you can go wrong with owning one either.

D
D
I purchased two Remington 700 ADL's and a Savage Axis when Walmart was blowing them out last fall. Both Remington's were sub MOA out of the box with factory ammo. The floor plate was sticky on one so I replaced the stock with a BDL stock and an aftermarket DBM and upgraded the scope. The other one is just fine as is. The Axis had stock problems. Like every 700 I have owned over 50 years they are very accurate and trouble free. Plus they and their clones are the basis for most successful Target rifles. Easily upgraded. That said my favorite is a Tikka T3 SS in 7-08. It's too bad that many good gun companies are bought out by Wall street pirates but that's how things are. Not fault of the gun itself. Don't like em. your loss.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I would buy every $379 WalMart ADL I came across if I have a place to store them. The quality is just fine, and make great actions to build off of.

I waited for a clearance sale and bought a 700 ADL in .223 for $79.00+ tax. You can't buy a 700 action for that. The only drawback I see is that it's a 1:12 twist for lighter bullets.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
the old 700 LTR has a small cult following ... hope those arent gone forever.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I had the store cycle snap caps through the last one I bought. 3 of the 5 before that wouldn't chamber factory ammo. That was an SPS, Mountain Rifle, and XCR II

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
I had the store cycle snap caps through the last one I bought. 3 of the 5 before that wouldn't chamber factory ammo. That was an SPS, Mountain Rifle, and XCR II

Oh, bullcrap....Sure makes for a good story, though.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Look for a Ruger.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I guess you have to live at Walmart to get $79 rifles on sale. Never seen that.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 16penny, 65 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,877
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.