Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Some idiot decided to shoot his "buddy" at the local Pa game commission range, in December. The guy next to him, shot HIM, and killed him. The first guy shot, lived. I called a couple of days ago, and it looks like the range is shut down through March, at least. As far as I know, this is the only shooting at the place. I fail to see why an investigation would take so long. I don't think the guy that killed the original shooter, was even charged. The range is paid for with our license fees. A 4 month + shutdown, is absurd, in my opinion. I'm actually afraid that they will just close the place. Rant over...

Last edited by benchman; 01/24/21.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Dang. Any word on what caused this?

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by IZH27
Dang. Any word on what caused this?

Nope. Nobody is saying anything that I'm aware of. All 3, knew each other, apparently.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Attempted Murder at Pennsylvania Gun Range Stopped by Armed Samaritan

Ammoland Inc. Posted on December 28, 2020
On 22 December 2020, at about 2:08 p.m. at the State Game Lands Shooting Range 109, in Erie County, Pennsylvania, a highly unusual attack and defensive shooting occurred.

The shooting range is located in a densely wooded area. There are nine shooting points; three for pistols with a 25-yard range, and six for rifles, with a 100-yard range. Tuesday was dull and dreary with a westerly wind of 14 mph. Before noon it had been overcast with light rain. By two p.m, the sun was occasionally peeking through the clouds. It was cool and cloudy at 39 degrees F.

[Linked Image from ammoland.com]

Two young couples had arrived in separate vehicles. One of the two young men had recently purchased a pistol. The two young men and two young women reportedly took turns shooting the pistol, at the range.

Then, from reported accounts, Robert A. Eppley, 26 fired five shots downrange, turned around, and started firing at his 28-year-old male friend.
There was an Armed Samaritan on one of the other two pistol firing points. He observed what was happening, and quickly acted. He shot Robert Epply to prevent further attacks and to stop the shooting of the 28-year-old.

Three people were at the rifle portion of the range. They heard the shooting but did not see the events as they happened.

Eppley was declared dead at the range at 3:11 p.m. From goerie.com:

Eppley was pronounced dead at the scene of the shooting, at the State Game Lands 109 gun range at 10679 Sampson Road, at 3:11 p.m. Tuesday by Erie County Deputy Coroner John Maloney.

A 4½-hour autopsy performed Wednesday by Erie County forensic pathologist Eric Vey, M.D., determined that Eppley died of gunshot wounds to the torso, Erie County Coroner Lyell Cook said.

The 67-year-old man who was nearby, who Weindorf said had no connection to the two men, saw what was happening and fired on Eppley, who was still shooting at his friend, Weindorf said.

Murders at shooting ranges are very rare events. Prominent Marine sniper Chris Kyle and friend Chad Littlefield were murdered at a Texas shooting range, in 2013, by a mentally disturbed drug user, Eddie Ray Routh, who Kyle was attempting to help. Routh was sentenced to life in prison.

In Pennsylvania, the shooter was stopped before he was able to kill his first victim. The identity of the armed Samaritan and the victim have not been released to the public.

The deceased attacker has been identified as Robert A. Eppley.
Internet records show a person with the same name, associated with a September 2012 address in North East PA, listed a post office box on the Parris Island Marine Recruit Depot in July of 2012.

It is likely the same Robert A. Eppley. What connection he may have had with the Marine Corps is indeterminate at this time.

Previous Marine recruits have told me all mail was sent through their training unit. Training units have post office boxes. Searches have not associated the P. O. box associated with Robert Eppley with a particular training unit.

Police are continuing to investigate the Pennsylvania shooting. The victim was released from the hospital on the 23rd of December, according to US News. No motive for the attack has been determined. The 67-Year-Old armed Samaritan has been released. No charges are pending at this time

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Apparently, the 67 year old had no connection...

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Hope they open your range back up soon. Good luck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A 4½-hour autopsy performed Wednesday by Erie County forensic pathologist Eric Vey, M.D., determined that Eppley died of gunshot wounds to the torso, Erie County Coroner Lyell Cook said

4 1/2 hrs to figure it out?

Doc on Gunsmoke only took about 30secs.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

A 4½-hour autopsy performed Wednesday by Erie County forensic pathologist Eric Vey, M.D., determined that Eppley died of gunshot wounds to the torso, Erie County Coroner Lyell Cook said

4 1/2 hrs to figure it out?

Doc on Gunsmoke only took about 30secs.

Imma say..,Dem holes!

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dead shooter was a Marine. He's in his uniform on his obit page.

That's some messed up [bleep]. The 67 yr old saved at least 1 life that day.

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That's a shame. Hopefully the authorities won't tear the range down, grind it into little pieces and haul it to an undisclosed location, like they did with the Sandy Hook elementary school.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
That's a shame. Hopefully the authorities won't tear the range down, grind it into little pieces and haul it to an undisclosed location, like they did with the Sandy Hook elementary school.

Yup. Kinda hoping. Democrat run city, in a Democrat run state.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Did they have their masks on?

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by cisco1

Did they have their masks on?

I'm sure they did not, out there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
State police said last week that investigators had been unable to identify any issues between Eppley and his friend. Police said the pair drove to the range in separate vehicles with their girlfriends and all four were taking turns firing the pistol that one of the men had just purchased.

Hmm.......if were making assumptions.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
State police said last week that investigators had been unable to identify any issues between Eppley and his friend. Police said the pair drove to the range in separate vehicles with their girlfriends and all four were taking turns firing the pistol that one of the men had just purchased.

Hmm.......if were making assumptions.

Yep. Someone screwed the others gf and the rong person got sheott.

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/24/21.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Surely some drama leading up to the shooting.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
one of them women knows why and the other has a damn good guess

My diploma is a DD214
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Pa operates 1 range, for every 29,000 of it's hunters. Nice of them, but needless to say, it is needed.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
How do you contact the PA Game Commission and chew some ass?

Who runs it?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by deflave
How do you contact the PA Game Commission and chew some ass?

Who runs it?

All I've done so far, is call and ask. We'll see, in March. The weather is kinda crummy right now, anyhow. A permanent closure is something else, altogether.

Last edited by benchman; 01/24/21.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, achlupsa, 35, 5 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,323
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.