Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Hypocrite
Why would you ask how old someone is? Do you ask if they are from the same state? Do you ask if they are a felon?

It’s not your responsibility to know if they’re legal.

I'd bet that there is a attorney out there who would argue that a person selling a deadly weapon is responsible for exercising due diligence to insure that he/she isn't selling that deadly weapon to a person who is legally prohibited from owning it. I wouldn't sell a firearm to a person who couldn't legally go to a dealer and purchase the same firearm, but what you do is your business, not mine..

Neither would I, but it’s not my job to find that out. If I don’t know they’re a felon that’s not on me.

Short of going to a dealer and doing a background you have no idea somebody’s legal standing or their age. Asking if someone is a felon isn’t due diligence LoL

Half the 19 year olds in this country have fake id’s that will fool you.

We already have way to many gun laws in this country I’m not going to go beyond them.

Do you confirm someone has a clean driving record before selling then a car?

Last edited by Hypocrite; 01/27/21.
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
When I was an FFL and a young man was looking at a handgun, I made my judgement within a minute usually. Did he? Clear the weapon when I handed it to him. Keep it pointed safely at all times. Ask if it was ok to dry fire. Maybe not fair, but it beat the schidt out of yes or no questions on a yellow piece of paper.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Neither would I, but it’s not my job to find that out. If I don’t know they’re a felon that’s not on me.

Short of going to a dealer and doing a background you have no idea somebody’s legal standing or their age. Asking if someone is a felon isn’t due diligence LoL

We already have way to many gun laws in this country I’m not going to go beyond them.

Welcome,

It is readily apparent that your contributions will certainly be an asset to this forum.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Welcome,

It is readily apparent that your contributions will certainly be an asset to this forum.

He ain’t wrong.

My home state requires that you not knowingly sell to a prohibited person. I think that we can all agree on that. As Hypocrite stated. There are already to many unconstitutional gun laws on the books and he isn’t the FBI or the ATF. His responsibility morally and legally starts and stops with not intentionally selling to someone under 18 (in most states) I’d definitely check ID of someone on the bubble age wise. Not selling to a known prohibited user, or to someone obviously under the influence, that has severe mental problems, or someone making threats.

Last edited by TheLastLemming76; 01/27/21.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I've got news for yall.... If a DA or civil attorney want to string you up, asking, "Are you 21?" ain't gonna help you at all.

For that matter, even seeing that they have a carry license won't help you..... Was the license still valid? Had it been revoked due to domestic violence? Did you even check? Why didn't you just meet at an FFL and have him run a background check? And you're a gun guy, right? You know how background checks work and that your license to carry may be revoked and somebody could still have the actual hard copy of the license? But a background check would have caught that. If you would have cared. Look at how much pain and misery could have been avoided if you would have just cared.

Sincerely,
An actual survivor of a civil case who knows what he's talking about, written from the land of activist attorneys

This post must be from Kalifornistan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UPhiker
The 21 rule is only for buying new from an FFL. Some states (the ones you don't want to live in) may have their own rules.

That's the rule, even in NY. I sold a Ruger Mark I several years ago to a guy under 21. He told me he couldn't buy from a dealer until he was 21 so I checked and that was the deal.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I simply don't sell or even hand a gun to anyone I don't personally know is-

A. Able to legally possess a firearm, and
B. Not a fugking moron.

This limits me to close acquaintances I know and trust. Otherwise, guns from the barter pile go to an FFL in trade, etc. Yes, this costs me a little money. I chalk it up to peace of mind.

.Blue has given you the worst case. As an old flatfoot who has traced--and by 'traced' I mean leg work and interviewing people--a dozen or two guns used in homicides, I can tell you that you don't want to be in that lineup.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
The 21 rule is only for buying new from an FFL. Some states (the ones you don't want to live in) may have their own rules.

That's the rule, even in NY. I sold a Ruger Mark I several years ago to a guy under 21. He told me he couldn't buy from a dealer until he was 21 so I checked and that was the deal.

It’s unusual that someone under 21 would have a pistol permit in NYS. Most counties won’t issue them unless someone is 21. They rationalize that policy by saying federal law doesn’t allow persons under 21 to buy pistols. I’ve only ever seen one exception.

Mathew 22: 37-39

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I've got news for yall.... If a DA or civil attorney want to string you up, asking, "Are you 21?" ain't gonna help you at all.

For that matter, even seeing that they have a carry license won't help you..... Was the license still valid? Had it been revoked due to domestic violence? Did you even check? Why didn't you just meet at an FFL and have him run a background check? And you're a gun guy, right? You know how background checks work and that your license to carry may be revoked and somebody could still have the actual hard copy of the license? But a background check would have caught that. If you would have cared. Look at how much pain and misery could have been avoided if you would have just cared.

Sincerely,
An actual survivor of a civil case who knows what he's talking about, written from the land of activist attorneys

This is sadly true^^^^^^^
How in the hell did we get to this point in this country? The seller shouldn't be in trouble for what the purchaser does with his purchase. Somehow that is exactly where we are

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's all about assigning evil to an inanimate object.

If you sold your old farm pickup to a loser who rammed it into a toll booth, nobody would give two shets about it.

Sell a pistol to some nimrod, who shoots his own pecker off in a Walmart restroom, and you're the reincarnation of John Wilkes Booth.

When I was a kid you could order genuine USGI 1917s and 1911s 45 via USPS. It wasn't until a wannabe Russian defector, supposedly shot a president, that anybody seriously suggested it was a problem.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ve only sold pistols to individuals I knew personally. Otherwise I’m going through an FFL. For all the reasons stated in prior posts.

MAGA
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
A lot of this angst could be alleviated by following my policy: I only buy guns I intend to keep. If I get rid of one, it’s only because a brother, son, nephew or very close friend wants it more than I do.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cra1948

It’s unusual that someone under 21 would have a pistol permit in NYS. Most counties won’t issue them unless someone is 21. They rationalize that policy by saying federal law doesn’t allow persons under 21 to buy pistols. I’ve only ever seen one exception.

I live in Delaware County. They practically pass them out with the birth certificates here. grin

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave

Follow your heart.

crazy suggestion.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by cra1948

I live in Delaware County. They practically pass them out with the birth certificates here. grin

Delaware is certainly one of the better downstate counties to live in. I lived there for a while years ago, Sidney Center... actually went over to Delhi and got a pistol permit application, but before I could get the process done, girl I was living with decided she didn't much care about somebody who was out all night with his coohnounds...shortly after that, moved back up where I belong, St. Lawrence County. Twenty years later, went back down and worked in Delaware County for a couple of years. It's a beautiful area, just too close to NYC.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
anymore i won't sell any gun to a non family member without an FFL transfer. i know a guy who sold an ak to a POS who killed two cops with it. he was an FFL and his life was run through the ringer.

My diploma is a DD214
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by rem141r
anymore i won't sell any gun to a non family member without an FFL transfer. i know a guy who sold an ak to a POS who killed two cops with it. he was an FFL and his life was run through the ringer.

I’ve sold a couple handguns for an elderly friend recently. I required an FFL transfer.
In my view, there’s a “potential” huge downside risk to do otherwise.

NRA Patron
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I sell one every once in a while, I follow the federal laws and the laws of the state I am in. That's it game over, thats all thats required. Don't make it any more complex than it is.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
In MI, they either have to have a CPL or a pistol purchase permit issued by their local PD.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (22250rem, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,976
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.