Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by 300savagehunter
If you had a100k to invest what would you do?

Mike

Buy 2-3 houses

Buy a 4 plex. I won’t buy single family homes again for rental unless it’s a smoking deal, or I intended to AirBnB or VRBO it.

I can go mow one yard at a 4 plex which is a time saver, and I’m always shirt on time.

Penny ante real estate is a bum deal. Fixing toilets at 3:00AM, tenants stealing cabinets when they leave, Maintenance and landscaping, evictions...

And long term you won't beat the S&P 500. 1-plex? 4-plex? S&P 500 takes NO maintenance.

Selling your S&P 500 takes one phone call. Selling real estate is a hassle.

Every situation is different. In my AO, and being a contractor with a wife and multiple friends in real estate , it makes total sense.
One example, We purchased a 4 plex in 2018 for $280K put $15K in it and was offered $360K for it recently. New roof, new siding, new landscape, new paving/striping the parking lot. Mostly my labor on saturdays.
Cash flows +\- $10K per year on top of the appreciation in value.
I’ve been there for repairs maybe 7-8 times in 2 1/2 years? Never at 3am. If you’re dealing with evictions and tenants stealing cabinets (?)
You’re too blame.
I work 7 days a week anyway, so I’m not worried about the extra work load. If you can’t do work yourself, or like yo have evenings and weekends for leisure time, I would stay away from rentals unless they cash flow enough to pay for property management.

Great 22% return over 2.5 years, plus you do cash flow. Solid.

Just for fun: had you put $295k into the the S&P 500 fund during that same time period it would be now worth $470k, zero headaches with tenants, no insurance costs, no property taxes and NO TIME.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by cfran

Mike

Buy 2-3 houses

Buy a 4 plex. I won’t buy single family homes again for rental unless it’s a smoking deal, or I intended to AirBnB or VRBO it.

I can go mow one yard at a 4 plex which is a time saver, and I’m always shirt on time.

Penny ante real estate is a bum deal. Fixing toilets at 3:00AM, tenants stealing cabinets when they leave, Maintenance and landscaping, evictions...

And long term you won't beat the S&P 500. 1-plex? 4-plex? S&P 500 takes NO maintenance.

Every situation is different. In my AO, and being a contractor with a wife and multiple friends in real estate , it makes total sense.
One example, We purchased a 4 plex in 2018 for $280K put $15K in it and was offered $360K for it recently. New roof, new siding, new landscape, new paving/striping the parking lot. Mostly my labor on saturdays.
I’ve been there for repairs maybe 7-8 times in 2 1/2 years? Never at 3am. If you’re dealing with evictions and tenants stealing cabinets (?)
You’re too blame.
I work 7 days a week anyway, so I’m not worried about the extra work load. If you can’t do work yourself, or like yo have evenings and weekends for leisure time, I would stay away from rentals unless they cash flow enough to pay for property management.

Just for fun: had you put $295k into the the S&P 500 fund during that same time period it would be now worth $470k, zero headaches with tenants, no insurance costs, no property taxes and NO TIME.

Most didn't know the Fed was going to permanently nationalize the stock market in 2008. Take the phony baloney QE money out of the mix and no way the market performs like it has.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Correct.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Mike

Buy 2-3 houses

You’re too blame.

My guess is he leveraged it so the cash on cash return is probably much higher.

------------------------
John
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

I work 7 days a week anyway, so I’m not worried about the extra work load.
Why?

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
pay off debt if you have any

At less than 3% interest rates? That’s some stupid advice...

I’m glad you have it all figured out. Yes, rates are stupid low, that said, you go show me where you can find risk free yield that more than offsets 3% interest rates. Even limited risk investments. That’s right, you can’t because it doesn’t exist. Debt is like a house of cards that will implode, don’t believe me, give me your analysis of what’s going on with the 10-yr treasury over the last 90 days.

BTW, it’s never bad in my book to be debt free, poor advise IMO.

So I’m an 18 year old kid, just graduating high school with some scholarships, but still need 20K for school plus living expenses.
Lay out a path for that kid to be successful in life without taking on debt? Most of the folks that preach that crap already borrowed money found success and are 60, Inherited or had parents give them a home, or are compensating for their lack success by bragging up being debt free from a rented house and a 20 year old vehicle.

How about a low cost, broadly diversified investment portfolio (think Vanguard) which doesn’t require debt and matches his or her risk tolerance? Lots of ways to the top of the mountain, don’t need to be a borrower to make a return. I hear what you’re saying, but you are only fixated on rental properties. Again, tell me how that worked for folks in ‘07?

If they bought smart, they made it through it. I did, and picked up a few at 1/2 price.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WTM45

So I’m an 18 year old kid, just graduating high school with some scholarships, but still need 20K for school plus living expenses.
Lay out a path for that kid to be successful in life without taking on debt?

How about a full time job taking classes at night.
Pay your own way.
Worked for thousands of us.
Cuts into social hour, I know...

He’s buying a home for cash? Or he should rent his whole life?
When’s the last time you looked at what 4 years of a state college runs? He’s gonna pay that making $12/hr plus his living expenses? Ok.

I’m confused on how borrowing at 3% for a major purchase or 0% on a new car, as long as you can afford it, is a bad thing, or why structured debt is a bad thing.
If you’re an idiot that can’t pay off your credit card ea month it’s one thing but responsible borrowing is the only way to build wealth unless you’re making serious $$ from an early age.

Last edited by jackmountain; 01/24/21.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Pay your own way.

When’s the last time you looked at what 4 years of a state college runs? He’s gonna pay that making $12/hr plus his living expenses? Ok.

I’m confused on how borrowing at 3% for a major purchase or 0% on a new car, as long as you can afford it, is a bad thing, or why structured debt is a bad thing.
If you’re an idiot that can’t pay off your credit card ea month it’s one thing but responsible borrowing is the only way to build wealth unless you’re making serious $$ from an early age.

An investment in a home goes hand in hand with good credit (clean) and a smart mortgage. Buying a home should not happen UNTIL all other things are completed and a good career has begun.

Everything before that can be done in a pay as you go manner, including education and job training. Millions of people have proven that.
And folks keep on proving it today. How bad do you want it? You can not discount those who have proven it is doable.

It is stupid to take on debt without a career firmly in place. Too many today think they deserve a NEW vehicle along with it's payment book before they have any idea where their salary will originate.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Mike

Buy 2-3 houses

Or half a house here where I live.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by 1minute
Land with development potential.

Wanted to buy Boeing stock about this time last year but did not have the cash in hand. Bummer, as I would have doubled right about now. Still being listed a buy at the moment though.

The entire airline industry is down.. what about the JETS ETF? The airline industry overall has to come back, right?

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Open a Vanguard account. Preferably a Roth IRA to contribute to as much as they allow. Converted one of my accounts from conventional to Roth last year. Will be paying taxes on what I converted but not on the 20%+ gain it made. One of my financial planners says he sees the Roth being stopped by the government within a few years. Too much money being made tax free. ETF’s in biotechs and high quality international stocks as the dollar will be declining greatly with the Biden printing press.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Mike

Buy 2-3 houses

You’re too blame.

I doubt the bank would’ve financed a 280k loan to put into the stock market though! So In that case id have made $0.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Pay your own way.

An investment in a home goes hand in hand with good credit (clean) and a smart mortgage. Buying a home should not happen UNTIL all other things are completed and a good career has begun.

Everything before that can be done in a pay as you go manner, including education and job training. Millions of people have proven that.
And folks keep on proving it today. How bad do you want it? You can not discount those who have proven it is doable.

It is stupid to take on debt without a career firmly in place. Too many today think they deserve a NEW vehicle along with it's payment book before they have any idea where their salary will originate.

I don’t disagree. I misunderstood, thought you guys were preaching no debt as opposed to smart debt. There are times when running debt is a very good idea. Borrowing money to buy a couch, a vacation or a T.V. Is absolutely stupid.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

I’m glad you have it all figured out. Yes, rates are stupid low, that said, you go show me where you can find risk free yield that more than offsets 3% interest rates. Even limited risk investments. That’s right, you can’t because it doesn’t exist. Debt is like a house of cards that will implode, don’t believe me, give me your analysis of what’s going on with the 10-yr treasury over the last 90 days.

Lay out a path for that kid to be successful in life without taking on debt? Most of the folks that preach that crap already borrowed money found success and are 60, Inherited or had parents give them a home, or are compensating for their lack success by bragging up being debt free from a rented house and a 20 year old vehicle.

My daughter has been working since the 9th grade, doing dog care and a little baby sitting in the 9th grade, then working at Jimmy Johns sandwhich shop and now a local wood fired pizza restaraunt. She got grades and worked hard at school, competed in speech & debate as well as other business oriented activities. When she graduated as a senior, she has $40k saved up for college. She had also bought a $1000 car, drove it for all of high school, and sold it for $1500 (after the investment of brakes and tires) and bought another car, 6 years old with 60k miles, cash. She chose our state college, which costs $17k a year. She gets a Hathaway scholarship for about 25% of that bill each year. She also competed and won a few scholarships her freshman year that brough in another $4. She worked during college, for the school as a front desk assistant in her dorm. That job provided all of her spending money needed on a day to day basis, and a big more. At her current rate, she will graduate with her 4 year degree and likely have $20k left in the bank to start her life where ever she gets her job. Her mother and I will help her out as needed, getting some groceries a few times a semester, etc. Due to Covid, she will spend this semester at home, attending virtually (all of her classes are online) and keeping her job. After the scholarships, this semester will only cost her $1k (living at home). She has done an incredible job being responsible for her own choices. I expect she will have a successful career and help a lot of people. The point being, if you prepare and focus on college and are wise with your school choice, it is plenty possible to go to college with no debt, or little debt.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

National Guard....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jungleland

National Guard....

Don’t think I’d suggest my kids go that route any longer. Not when the ruling communist party calls them up to protect them from “the people”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oakster

My daughter has been working since the 9th grade, doing dog care and a little baby sitting in the 9th grade, then working at Jimmy Johns sandwhich shop and now a local wood fired pizza restaraunt. She got grades and worked hard at school, competed in speech & debate as well as other business oriented activities. When she graduated as a senior, she has $40k saved up for college. She had also bought a $1000 car, drove it for all of high school, and sold it for $1500 (after the investment of brakes and tires) and bought another car, 6 years old with 60k miles, cash. She chose our state college, which costs $17k a year. She gets a Hathaway scholarship for about 25% of that bill each year. She also competed and won a few scholarships her freshman year that brough in another $4. She worked during college, for the school as a front desk assistant in her dorm. That job provided all of her spending money needed on a day to day basis, and a big more. At her current rate, she will graduate with her 4 year degree and likely have $20k left in the bank to start her life where ever she gets her job. Her mother and I will help her out as needed, getting some groceries a few times a semester, etc. Due to Covid, she will spend this semester at home, attending virtually (all of her classes are online) and keeping her job. After the scholarships, this semester will only cost her $1k (living at home). She has done an incredible job being responsible for her own choices. I expect she will have a successful career and help a lot of people. The point being, if you prepare and focus on college and are wise with your school choice, it is plenty possible to go to college with no debt, or little debt.

Damn Oakster, I was proud of your girl just reading that.... you must be uber proud... well done!

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Mike

Buy 2-3 houses

Or half a house here where I live.

down payment here.....bob

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

That is absolutely outstanding. You've raised one hell of an adult. Can't not take a little credit as the parent. Outstanding.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Ditto, amazing kid you’ve raised.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

393 members (29aholic, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 204guy, 264mag, 50 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,204
Posts18,524,197
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.