Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ain’t easy here either Parson. A five-round box of TSS is probably a lifetime supply for me.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by RevMike
I live in Florida where Osceola turkeys live. Calling in a wary old gobbler ain't nearly as easy as he thinks.

Mike,

Back when I was really into turkey hunting, I went to Florida, called in an Osceola and shot it at about 20 yards. They are indeed tougher to call in than western turkeys, partly because they don't talk as much. But it's not impossible, even for a hick from Montana.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
They are indeed tougher to call in than western turkeys, partly because they don't talk as much. But it's not impossible, even for a hick from Montana.

laugh No offense intended, John. Turkeys can be a challenge anywhere, mainly because they have excellent eyesight and can pick up the slightest movement. And calling one in to close range can be about as exciting as anything. There's a reason folks get addicted to it.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I never could figure out why it's SO sporting to ground-whack gobblers during the spring breeding season, when they're hormone addled. Why can't we do the same thing with rooster pheasants?

I ain't gonna stop ya.

Something tells me they taste the same!!😎😎

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RevMike
They are indeed tougher to call in than western turkeys, partly because they don't talk as much. But it's not impossible, even for a hick from Montana.

laugh No offense intended, John. Turkeys can be a challenge anywhere, mainly because they have excellent eyesight and can pick up the slightest movement. And calling one in to close range can be about as exciting as anything. There's a reason folks get addicted to it.

Fuggers taste pretty darn good too!

Big platter covered in fried turkey tits, fresh caught fried crappie and fried morels in the spring with some suds to help rinse it down is a very hard combination to beat!

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 01/25/21.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yep!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Elvis
My 7x57 is a Number 1A so not worried about action length at all.

Actually, a Number 1 in 7mm-08 just wouldn't be cricket.

Amen on that brother.

My #1 7x57 wouldn't shoot worth crap so I had my gunsmith check it out. It took a chamber cast showing a 2" throat so I sent it back to Ruger with a copy of my gunsmith's report. It took a 7 month wait go get it back but it's tack driver now.
I also like my M70 XTR 7x57 which was a good shooter from the get go. A custom Mauser I had built up though shows high pressures when trying to get past factory ammo specs.

I've been getting some interesting results with 150 gr. Partitions and Re17 in the M70 and #1 but the Mauser balks and anything much over factory levels It even has the long throat for 175 gr. bullets. It's quite accurate with Winchester 145 gr. ammo when I can find some.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 7x57 700 classic it’s easy to get to shoot well. My wife has a left hand Tikka 7mm-08 and it is easy to get to shoot well.

I like classic cartridges and the 7x57 pretty much is classic!

If I were to build a 7x57 it would likely be on a 700 action, but many other actions would be suitable. I wouldn’t go with a short action though.

I used my 7x57 700 Classic for my antelope rifle and it worked very well with 139 grain Interlocks. It also is an excellent deer rifle.

The only 7x57’s I’ve owned that were difficult to shoot well (not impossible) were military 98 Mausers. They liked long blunt bullets, I believe heavy Speer bullets worked well in the ones I worked with. A friend borrowed one of those and dropped an elk cow with a single shot.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/26/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a 1956 Steyr Mannlicher MC 7x57 and it shoots good with 140gr Remington Corelokts. When I first got it I had no brass so I bought a box of 140gr Remington ammo. It puts 3 into 1" at 100 yards with a 4x scope IF I do my part. I loaded some 140gr Corelokts seated out and the rifles didn't like that. I seat the bullets to the cannelure and all is well. I looked at the bore with my Lyman bore scope and it's a bit rough with shallow pits. I cleaned it down to bare metal and I won't make that mistake again! It took several shots for it to settle in.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Back at the beginning of the month I declared 2021 the year of the Rigby look alike G33-40 7x57. Then I amended that resolution to include my Ruger 1 RSI 7x57.
My Ruger 1 257 Roberts wants to have me impeached!
So now what?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had this 7x57 built by a local gunsmith on a pre war oberndorf action when I was in my mid 20's and still young and foolish.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I don't know how he cut the chamber but it shoots the full range of bullet weights accurately. 120 Ballistic Tips, 145 Power points, 154 Hornady's and the old 170 Sierra RNs.

Not a target rifle but I get 1" to 1 1/2" if I do my part.

Dan

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Nice rifle but looks a little out of sorts without irons I think and the scope is out of proportion to the rest of the gun. Certainly a hunter's rifle, though.

The way life should be.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bluefish
Nice rifle but looks a little out of sorts without irons I think and the scope is out of proportion to the rest of the gun. Certainly a hunter's rifle, though.

Thanks, I totally agree with you. My gunsmith didn't want to put sights on the thinner barrel thinking it would mess with accuracy.

The rifle originally had a Leupold vari x ii 2-7 in low rings. This photo has a Bushnell 4200 3-9 in medium rings. It now wears a Bushnell Elite 2-7 which is really more fitting for this rifle.

Dan

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Dan,

If you look at other full stocked rifles many of which had thinner barrels I do not think accuracy would necessarily be affected too much. I hunt 20mm tubes so I suppose all scopes look a little big.

The way life should be.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
My Merkel K1 in 7x57R is a fantastic rifle. I’d highly recommend the cartridge, only problem is finding a rifle that suits your loony specs!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride...

Nice piece of kit that is.

The way life should be.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Drillings can be scary accurate.

JP Sauer 16/16/7x57R drilling at 100 yards.[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've probably owned three dozen 7x57s over the years, mostly bolt actions with a couple of combination guns and a semi-auto FN49 thrown into the mix. My favorite factory built 7x57s have been the Remington 700 Mountain Rifles, the Ruger 77 RSI, and the Winchester/USRA 70 Featherweights. Since I'm not a double barrel shotgun guy, drillings have never interested me.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (222Sako, 338rcm, 1minute, 338reddog, 264magnum, 66 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,481
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.