Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#15706855 01/26/21
wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I either didn't take notes or can't find them. I'll blame it on covid and my wife rearranging my desk or me just getting old but I can't find or remember where I got the following info/pictures: who provided me with the following: pics of the W.I. King rifle; who owns the birdseye maple stocked 1899; who owns serial #10.012; who sent pics of the Perris rifle; Put me onto the Sgt. Scott Schutzen rifle post; who sent me the Sheard info; who sent me the Joseph P. Falcon rifle pictures and the O'Conner rifle. I need this information to include the names of the people who helped.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you just know it's called OLD TIMERS ,,, hope you get it resolved quick.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I sure hope so. The editor emailed me today wanting to know when the manuscript would be finished and sent to him.

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wyo1895
I either didn't take notes or can't find them. I'll blame it on covid and my wife rearranging my desk or me just getting old but I can't find or remember where I got the following info/pictures: who provided me with the following: pics of the W.I. King rifle; who owns the birdseye maple stocked 1899; who owns serial #10.012; who sent pics of the Perris rifle; Put me onto the Sgt. Scott Schutzen rifle post; who sent me the Sheard info; who sent me the Joseph P. Falcon rifle pictures and the O'Conner rifle. I need this information to include the names of the people who helped.

I sent these over the last year or so.
In these cases, best available photos that I could find.

W.I. King (Jared (Jed) Pereau)
Perris (internet)
Falcon (internet)
O'connor (Internet)

"Every day above ground is a good day."
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Could the pics of the maple stocked 1899 come from Romac here on the board? He owns the only factory birdseye maple stocked 1899 that I'm aware of.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
who sent me the Joseph P. Falcon rifle pictures and the O'Conner rifle.

This is O'Connor, Falcon & Havourd l-r. VP, Pres. & VP Savage at the time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Rick, You've provided me with so much info I may have to include you as co-author of the book.
Gary, ROMAC is the guy. What's his real name?
Someone in Canada has serial #10.012. I checked Bill Rantz's emails. It wasn't him.

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Rick, You've provided me with so much info I may have to include you as co-author of the book.

Excellent. Then we can split the "profits" and both go broke! ha!

Last Saturday I interviewed William Gough's daughter over the phone. Very nice lady.
She has confirmed the research I have gathered on her "Dad" as she lovingly refers to him and filled in the cracks with more information.
I've got a pretty good feel for the life and times of William H. Gough and a biography will appear in David's book.

I found out that Gough's shop in Utica was not a store with front at all, but, a small room rented on second floor in a downtown building.
From here he engraved all kinds of jewelry, silverware, etc. Mostly small stuff.
He engraved the guns at home.
Next time I talk with her I'll ask if Gough had a staff of engravers at his shop as rumored. Hard to say now.

"Peg" grew up in Utica.
She related a story that at some point in later life she was visiting Utica and a place called the Charleston Mall.
She said as she walked about the place she had an eerie feeling of having been there before.
She since figured out it was the former Savage factory that she visited as a little girl. Said she was very young.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
touch base with ROMAC about the birdseye maple stocked rifle. (He may have changed his user name recently due to log in issues)

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 10012 and the Sheard rifle.
Bill Rantz

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

I have serial # 10,007 an a Sheard rifle with Sheard sight. GW

Last edited by oldtimer303; 01/26/21.

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
so there you go you have all your info.

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Just checking to see if you are still accepting purchases of your new book. I'd be very interested in ordering one as I have your earlier book.

wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info guys, Your names will be in the book. There will probably be more.
It's way too early to start talking about pre-purchases. I will make the same numbers available to the people who bought a numbered copy of the first book. The publisher and I talked about price when I thought the book would be about the same length as the other one. Now it's looking like there will be 800 plus photos and I imagine it will be more than $59.99. No need to worry everyone who wants it will get their same number as the first book.

wyo1895
[email protected]

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
who sent me the Joseph P. Falcon rifle pictures and the O'Conner rifle.

This is O'Connor, Falcon & Havourd l-r. VP, Pres. & VP Savage at the time.

Looks like this pic was taken on the Atlantic City Boardwalk.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Looks like this pic was taken on the Atlantic City Boardwalk.

I was wondering where this may be.
Appears to be a noon power walk by the top execs breaking from a show or a meeting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage

Excellent. Then we can split the "profits" and both go broke! ha!

Last Saturday I interviewed William Gough's daughter over the phone. Very nice lady.
She has confirmed the research I have gathered on her "Dad" as she lovingly refers to him and filled in the cracks with more information.
I've got a pretty good feel for the life and times of William H. Gough and a biography will appear in David's book.

I found out that Gough's shop in Utica was not a store with front at all, but, a small room rented on second floor in a downtown building.
From here he engraved all kinds of jewelry, silverware, etc. Mostly small stuff.
He engraved the guns at home.
Next time I talk with her I'll ask if Gough had a staff of engravers at his shop as rumored. Hard to say now.

"Peg" grew up in Utica.
She related a story that at some point in later life she was visiting Utica and a place called the Charleston Mall.
She said as she walked about the place she had an eerie feeling of having been there before.
She since figured out it was the former Savage factory that she visited as a little girl. Said she was very young.

Another thing she mentioned was that I am the most recent "engraving guy" to contact her.
Colt, Fox & Parker collectors have as well. I said to her, "add Savage to the list!"
She is sending me a copy of some research a Colt Historian has compiled for WHG.

I've been on the Colt, Fox, Parker Collector Forums in this process and they talk about some of the same engraving type Q&A the Savage Forum does. Go figure....

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Been to AC many times over the years, know exactly where that pic was taken. Right in front of Atlantic City Convention Hall where the Miss America Pagea was held for many years and actually saw the Rodeo there once. The building facades on the left are very familiar, the parquet boards on the boardwalk, tall light poles on the ocean side of the boardwalk and the Steel Pier over Havourd’s left shoulder.

Maybe an arms manufacturers soirée at Convention Hall?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (219 Wasp, 219DW, 01Foreman400, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 44 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,662
Posts18,512,891
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.