Originally Posted by fourbore
Originally Posted by AZtwins
That paint job looks nice!

Personally, for deer-sized game under 200 yds, I would have gone with a 257 Roberts. Nothing wrong with a 25-06 though.

Interesting that as I get older, if 60 counts as 'older', I've been drifting away from magnum or otherwise 'long-range' cartridges. I now use a 7-08 instead of a 7mag - in fact, I just got a 6.5 Grendel for deer type stuff, a 300 H&H instead of a 300 Wby, 35 whelen instead of a 338, and just picked up a 405 Win instead of a 416 Rigby. After analyzing 45 years of hunting, I discovered that I killed exactly three animals over 250 yards. That includes pronghorn, caribou, elk, deer and a pile of predators. It doesn't hurt to be prepared but I am enjoying older guns and less recoil a lot more these days.

As I have gotten old, 70, my conclusion after a lifetime arguing ballistics, I come around to believe "it really does not matter"

And the above choices illustrates that extremely well. Exactly opposite of mine, right down the line. Not that is matters.

I like 6.5x55 more than any 25 caliber options.
I like 30-06 over 300 H&H.
I like 375 H&H over any of the big 35's or 338. Big bears.
I like the 416 Rigby over the 458 mags (although the 458's hold more rounds) Africa.
405?? Really! Load up a 45/70 if that is whats needed.

I look at the old 270 win vs 280 debate and see we had a 7x64 all along, decades prior.
Americans used to hate metric? Seriously though, does it matter?

I did read the above carefully, Looks like at a fundamental level we are in 100% agreement. while we have preferences, neither are saying it is a big deal. Hi velocity barrel burners are seldom if ever needed.

I find the 6.5Grindel interesting becasue is makes the AR15 and CZ527 into proper deer hunting rifles. I do like my 527s. CZ is the new Ruger, IMHO.

I am becoming a fan of the "non magnums" myself. As John Barsness says its all just "gun gack" but thats what makes it all fun. I am a big fan of the 6.5x55 too and that very well could be what my next encore barrel is. These guns are alot of fun build and mess around with.