Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
8208xbr I used to use benchmark because I loaded a lot of 50-55g but I've moved to more 75g bullets and found 8208xbr to be like a bit slower benchmark. Everything I like about benchmark but 8208xbr works a bit better with heavier bullets. The tiny extruded kernels meter almost as good as ball. It's clean burning, consistent, and temp stable.

Bb

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by dla
CFE223 sucks - the most temperature sensitive powder I've ever used.

I agree CFE223 sucks...........but never really found it temp sensitive, just not very accurate.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
RL-15 and Varget, only load 50 and 55 gr bullets.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
8208xbr I used to use benchmark because I loaded a lot of 50-55g but I've moved to more 75g bullets and found 8208xbr to be like a bit slower benchmark. Everything I like about benchmark but 8208xbr works a bit better with heavier bullets. The tiny extruded kernels meter almost as good as ball. It's clean burning, consistent, and temp stable.

Bb

This ... exactly

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Here is a series of real world tests on a variety of powders in the 5.56 (Wylde) attempting to duplicate the factory loading of MK 262 as produced by Black Hill, 77 gr SMK.

When you open the link, the entire series, by test episode, will come up on the right.

In almost every case, his results have pretty closely mirrored my results with the same combinations, so that's why I say it real world.

MM

Duplicating MK 262 from Black Hills

MM, thanks for the link, but there's more video there than I could watch in 2 weekends,

What are you trying to say, whats your go to load?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by auk1124
I've had the best accuracy with Reloder 15 and the heavies so far, but it isn't super fast. Lost track of everything I've tried, but Reloder 15 was the clear winner for accuracy in my particular barrel.

This. I've got a lot of RE15 because it works well in several calibers I reload for.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AA2230 and AA2460 are my 2 favorites but both are hard to come by.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by kwg020
AA2230 and AA2460 are my 2 favorites but both are hard to come by.

kwg

What weight of bullet are you using with 2460? Load data?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Here is a series of real world tests on a variety of powders in the 5.56 (Wylde) attempting to duplicate the factory loading of MK 262 as produced by Black Hill, 77 gr SMK.

When you open the link, the entire series, by test episode, will come up on the right.

In almost every case, his results have pretty closely mirrored my results with the same combinations, so that's why I say it real world.

MM

MM, thanks for the link, but there's more video there than I could watch in 2 weekends,

Okay. I shoot bullets from 55-77 gr. exclusively in my guns.

After testing & working with a lot of different powders, I have settled on 2 primary powders that do very well across that bullet range, giving very good accuracy with all & as much velocity as can safely be wrung out of a 5.56 (223 Wylde) with an 18 or 16" barrel.

Those 2 are IMR-8208XBR & Alliant AR-Comp. They are both very small grained extruded powders that feed & meter very, very consistently.

With AR-Comp & the 77 gr. SMK, Nosler CC or Nosler RDF I am loading 23.0 gr.

With 8208 & those same bullets, I am loading 23.5 gr.

In all cases, I am loading to 5.56 pressure level, as best as I can determine & comparable to factory MK 262 & IMI Razorcore, both are loaded with 77 gr SMK.

Both powders provide a smooth recoil impulse as compared to say, H4895, which to me is significantly sharper & quicker, which I do not like.............but I will use H4895 in a bolt gun, not in an AR if I have a choice.

If I were only going to load 77g. bullets, Alliant 2000-MR would probably be my single choice; it feeds even better than AR-Comp or 8208, it's very accurate & will give just a little more velocity, especially in an 18 or 20" barrel than the others. But it also takes more if it to get there.

If I were only loading bullets of 60 gr or lighter, then I would choose VV-133............it's the darling of BR shooters with light bullets, & for a very good reason. Meters well, provides very low SD's & is more accurate than virtually anything else with light bullets. I also use it in bolt guns.

As to the old standbys of RL-15 & Varget, I can't think of a good reason to use them as the others are about as accurate, meter much better & give higher velocities..............Varget probably get's the nod as being THE absolute most accurate of the bunch with heavy bullets, if you want to accept 75-100 FPS lower velocities, & poor powder feeding with corresponding more variability round to round, & except under bench shooting conditions, the accuracy difference isn't enough to talk about, IMO.

As for CFE-223, which has come up here several times, it feeds well but I have not found it to consistently equal the accuracy of any of the powders mentioned above, nor is it really any better velocity wise, plus it takes over 25 gr to get to top velocity. I have not tested it for tempt stability.

Everyone has their own reasons for what they pick & these are just mine.

Given today's supply situation any of a dozen good powders will all work acceptably, some just do some things a little better than others.

YMMV

MM

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of info there, Thanks.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

MM

After testing & working with a lot of different powders, I have settled on 2 primary powders that do very well across that bullet range, giving very good accuracy with all & as much velocity as can safely be wrung out of a 5.56 (223 Wylde) with an 18 or 16" barrel.

Those 2 are IMR-8208XBR & Alliant AR-Comp. They are both very small grained extruded powders that feed & meter very, very consistently.

In all cases, I am loading to 5.56 pressure level, as best as I can determine & comparable to factory MK 262 & IMI Razorcore, both are loaded with 77 gr SMK.

Both powders provide a smooth recoil impulse as compared to say, H4895, which to me is significantly sharper & quicker, which I do not like.............but I will use H4895 in a bolt gun, not in an AR if I have a choice.

If I were only going to load 77g. bullets, Alliant 2000-MR would probably be my single choice; it feeds even better than AR-Comp or 8208, it's very accurate & will give just a little more velocity, especially in an 18 or 20" barrel than the others. But it also takes more if it to get there.

If I were only loading bullets of 60 gr or lighter, then I would choose VV-133............it's the darling of BR shooters with light bullets, & for a very good reason. Meters well, provides very low SD's & is more accurate than virtually anything else with light bullets. I also use it in bolt guns.

As to the old standbys of RL-15 & Varget, I can't think of a good reason to use them as the others are about as accurate, meter much better & give higher velocities..............Varget probably get's the nod as being THE absolute most accurate of the bunch with heavy bullets, if you want to accept 75-100 FPS lower velocities, & poor powder feeding with corresponding more variability round to round, & except under bench shooting conditions, the accuracy difference isn't enough to talk about, IMO.

As for CFE-223, which has come up here several times, it feeds well but I have not found it to consistently equal the accuracy of any of the powders mentioned above, nor is it really any better velocity wise, plus it takes over 25 gr to get to top velocity. I have not tested it for tempt stability.

Given today's supply situation any of a dozen good powders will all work acceptably, some just do some things a little better than others.

YMMV

MM

Dang mm. I wish I would have known that about mr2000 last weekend. I was at a gunshop that had it for$29.99/pound and my buddy asked what its good for. I never tried it, so I told him I didnt know.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I feel your pain........................LOL

MM

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

MM

YMMV

MM

Dang mm. I wish I would have known that about mr2000 last weekend. I was at a gunshop that had it for$29.99/pound and my buddy asked what its good for. I never tried it, so I told him I didnt know.

PP MR2000 is also very good in a 308. I get great speed and accuracy with it running 175g or 178g bthp bullets in my 16" ar10. It also meters well enough that I've loaded 308 on my progressive.

Bb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

MM

YMMV

MM

PP MR2000 is also very good in a 308. I get great speed and accuracy with it running 175g or 178g bthp bullets in my 16" ar10. It also meters well enough that I've loaded 308 on my progressive.

Bb

It actually sounds very similar to AR Comp (which is my favorite). I also run AR Comp in my 308 win loads with 168-178gr matchgrade bullets. It makes sense that PP MR2000 would also work in the 308. Now that I know its good powder, I'll likely not see it again for a while. Good informative thread..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2000-MR is quite a bit slower than AR-Comp; slower than Varget & RL-15 too.

AR-Comp & 8208 are very close in burn rate & performance.

MM

Burn Rate Chart

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I use LVR in my 5.56 ARs with 77 TMKs. I have messed with others a little but 25/25.5 grains has been pretty accurate and fairly quick in all of my rifles.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I use LVR in my 5.56 ARs with 77 TMKs. I have messed with others a little but 25/25.5 grains has been pretty accurate and fairly quick in all of my rifles.

Scotty, how does LVR meter through a powder measure?

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Scotty, how does LVR meter through a powder measure?

Like water. It’s a ball powder. I run it on my Dillon mainly. It’s so consistent it’s hardly ever checked.

Semper Fi
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
LVR, Leverevolution I'm assuming?

to be honest, the name freaks me out, makes no sense.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
There’s no Lever data that I’m aware of for 223. But it’s about all I use in mine and my 222mag. Good accuracy and speed, meters like water, and until recently it was usually available when everything else was gone. I primarily shoot 77s in the 223 and 55s in the 222 Mag.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 60 invisible), 3,120 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,881
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.