Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 26 1 2 22 23 24 25 26
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by fish280
please don't let this issue keep you from getting closer to Christ ...

Gotta be an amen corner around that statement somewhere. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
the theory of evolution is still a theory.
the theory of adaptation is still a theory.

Not really true. There is more evidence of evolution than there is of a spherical Earth and a helocentric solar system. Evolution is proven as much as science can ever prove anything*. As has been said before, its used in medicine everday.

*science proves theories by being unable to make them false.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
please don't let this issue keep you from getting closer to Christ ...

Why would it?

we can think for ourselves on important things, sa.

I always think for myself. Otherwise, i might not be able to determine what is important.

BT,

Exactly!

Last edited by SakoAlberta; 07/30/07.

A golf course is a sad misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
still a theory, thumper.
always will be.

sa, the Bible warns sternly of chasing after argument for the sake of it ... whistle

Last edited by fish280; 07/30/07.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Most of science is still theory.
Some 'evangelical scientists' still think gravity is a theory!
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/39512

After reading your genetics posts on another thread, you'll have to excuse me if I don't have too much faith in your ideas about science:

Originally Posted by SakoAlberta
Head health editor? With a quote like this it doesn't make me want to read 'the state's largest newspaper':

genetics are genetics are genetics.
doesn't matter WHEN ...

here in b'ham, which has in UAB one of the finest medical centers on earth, and where i am health editor of the state's largest newspaper, i must say i've never heard of a single evolutiuonary geneticist in the crowd.

The fact you have not heard of 'single evolutiuonary geneticist in the crowd' doesn't make it fact. Even if you were correct, it would only mean that UAB at Birmingham does not have that department.

Susan Hollingshead, a microbiologist and David Allison have both written papers in the field(s) of evolutionary genetics recently while at UAB. Now, I've been 'out of the loop' for a couple of years so they may no longer be at UAB. Last I heard, they both were.

I loath to do your research for you but it bothers me that a 'head health editor' might know so little about health issues. If you want to try to understand the field and what a university with a department dedicated to EG does, you may want to start here:

http://evogen.bio.uci.edu/

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hey, i've only been health editor for a couple of months. please forgive me for speaking through my hat. but remember i am HEALTH editor, not science editor.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thumper:
neither uab scientist you mentioned appeared in a merlin search of our archives.

just because i am not a scientist does not mean i should not have opinions about the relative importance of various fields.

science is grand stuff.
but it is not the ONLY stuff ... nor the most important.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
hey, i've only been health editor for a couple of months. please forgive me for speaking through my hat. but remember i am HEALTH editor, not science editor.

Hey man, no problem. I'm still a high school senior, I don't know lots of things either. frown

I would say though that health and science are closely related, especially when it comes to genetics.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
thumper:
neither uab scientist you mentioned appeared in a merlin search of our archives.

It wasn't my original post, it was SA's. I wouldn't have a clue as to who they are.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
try this, fish:
One of Susan's papers on evolutionary genetics;

http://en.scientificcommons.org/11903395

Her biography:

http://www.microbio.uab.edu/faculty/hollingshead/index1.html

I don't have anything of David's marked but, if you are intested, I'm sure I can get you a link. As I said, I've been out of the loop for about two years now.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well, thumper, you seem an erudite teen. apply what obviously is a smart, inquisitive brain to faith issues, too.
science will take care of itself, and it will help take care of your physical self, but it can't take care of your soul. grin

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
well, thumper, you seem an erudite teen. apply what obviously is a smart, inquisitive brain to faith issues, too.
science will take care of itself, and it will help take care of your physical self, but it can't take care of your soul. grin

thanks, Fish280,
I've had good teachers in all facets of my intellectual development, so far. I'm sure some of those teachers would disgree on your assessment of my eruditeness. wink

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
There is more evidence of evolution than there is of a spherical Earth

I've seen that mentioned on here before but must question that statement. We have satellites and space craft that have seen the shape of the earth from all manner of perspective. We have witnesses who can tell us of that shape. There are no witnesses to evolution. Not even dead ones.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not even dead ones.

We have an extensive fossil record of dead witnesses. smile Billions and billions of fossils.

We also have the DNA of many of them. Evolution is even more clearly indicated in DNA than it is in morphological record.

To believe the spherical earth requires faith in a few witnesses who have actually been in space(if they actually even went) wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
indicated = proved?
whistle

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
indicated = proved?

Often, yes. As I've said before, nothing is ever proven.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
eventually, you mean? wink

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope, not really.

proven- to establish the truth or genuineness of, as by evidence or argument

However, in science or most anything, proof is only established as beyond all reasonable doubt.

I wrote this once before on this thread. Its from my grade XIII text(now that's a few years ago) shocked .

If scientists were to observe millions of mice they may theorize that 'all mice have tails'. They would then set about proving their hypothesis by trying to dissprove it. In this case, by documenting a mouse without a tail. No matter how many they observe they could never really prove their hypothesis as the next mouse may not have a tail. At some point their hypothesis would be beyond reasonable doubt. Even if a mouse without a tail was evenually observed, the hypothesis may still be slightly changed to 'almost all mice have tails'.

The theory of evolution has been around since the mid 1800's. That proverbial mouse has not yet been found.

Last edited by SakoAlberta; 07/30/07.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by SakoAlberta
Not even dead ones.

We have an extensive fossil record of dead witnesses. smile Billions and billions of fossils.

Yep. Your best (and only) witnesses are dead. Long, long dead. A lot can happen in a long, long dead time. A dead witness and 10 bucks will get you a cup of coffee most anyplace but it would also get your case thrown out in any court of law I have ever heard of. But in fact, the fossils you mention are not a witness to evolution at all but only to a one time existance and subsequent death. But if it helps justify your unsubstantiated theory, go for it. It's about all you have.

We also have the DNA of many of them. Evolution is even more clearly indicated in DNA than it is in morphological record.
I would guess there is much more science does not know about DNA in general, not to mention how it might apply to the theory of evolution in the specific, than it truly knows about either. But that is not to pick on evolutionary DNA, as it is true with most everything else science "knows".

Until channel 8 weather can tell me with certainty if it will rain tomorrow, I have insufficient faith in the religion of science's ability to tell me where mankind came from.

You mentioned medicine a while back. I use medical science when it is needed. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes not. Sometimes it even does harm. Science! How could that be? grin

To believe the spherical earth requires faith in a few witnesses who have actually been in space(if they actually even went) wink
That sounds silly to me. There are not a few witnesses who have been in space. More like a thousand or more considering all countries. Others in high altitude spy planes make up more. Pictures and video substantiate. Even so, God may just show you the corners He mentioned at some point in eternity, if eternity has points. grin

Keep grabbing at those straws. So far you have ended up with all the short ones. grin

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
In order for a dead witness to testify in a court of law, he must have known that death was imminent at the hands of his killer, and then he must die from injuries received at the hands of that one. It has to be taken down in writing and sworn before a magistrate. It's called a dying declaration.

SssssOooooooo! Who killed the fosils? And why? laugh

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Page 24 of 26 1 2 22 23 24 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (257robertsimp, 01Foreman400, 35, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 826 guests, and 831 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,396
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.